Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9985
Default 2/8 Mock

Ok first let me say that this mock will probably make some mad as it involves leaving Burfict at WOLB but here goes.

1-Kevin Minter MLB LSU. Minter does have his shortcomings. He is slightly stiff in the hips and does lack great coverage skills but he is great versus the run. Surround him with the right team and let him stop the run

2a-Aurther Brown SLB Kansas State. Here is step one to surrounding Minter with the right team. Brown is pretty light for his position but he is extremely athletic and very good in coverage. Minter and Brown should be the perfect duo.

2b-Phillip Thomas S Fresno State. Thomas is a guy that can play FS and SS like Nelson thus making them virtually inerchangable. Needs to work on his open field tackling otherwise he is the top safety in the class.

3-Marcus Lattimore HB South Carolina. Probably the biggest BOOM/BUST player since McGahee. Hopefully he can have a similar story.

4- Joe Kruger DE Utah 6ft7 275lbs DE could fill in in the case of losing MJ although he will likely need time to develop. Maybe we tag MJ and allow Kruger to sit behind him for a year.

5a-Chris Harper WR Kansas State 6ft1 228lbs WR with 4.35 speed. I'll take a flyer.

6a-Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin. Wisconsin O-linemen seem to work for us.

6b-Sanders Commings CB Georgia. Late round flyer on a Bulldog at a position of need.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1

Last edited by Lawless_1; 02-08-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 670
Default Re: 2/8 Mock

My concern with this draft would be unless some offensive talent is brought in through FA we would see basically the same offense on the field as last year.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Ok first let me say that this mock will probably make some mad as it involves leaving Burfict at WOLB but here goes.

1-Kevin Minter MLB LSU
2a-Aurther Brown SLB Kansas State
2b-Phillip Thomas S Fresno State
3-Marcus Lattimore HB South Carolina
4- Joe Kruger DE Utah
5a-Chris Harper WR Kansas State
6a-Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin
6b-Sanders Commings CB Georgia
The downside of this draft is the risk of hoping Lattimore will be ready. If he will, he might not make it to the third. And if you get him in the third and he can't play right away, where's the COP or secondary back?

I'd have no problem keeping Burfict outside as long as there's a suitable replacement in the middle. I'll kill myself if I have to watch Rey out there for another year stumbling and bumbling his way to the least impressive hundred some tackles ever while TE's stand next to him and catch 6 yard passes on 3rd and 5.

Aside from the RB issue, I like this mock.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

Quote:

1-Kevin Minter MLB LSU
4- Joe Kruger DE Utah
i really like this draft except the lattimore pick, he's just had too many significant injuries especially for a 3rd round pick, if there weren't them injury concerns he'd for sure be a first round pick, but i love the linebackers you have us grabbing and a playmaking safety, and love the lineman from wisconsin.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:

1-Kevin Minter MLB LSU
4- Joe Kruger DE Utah
This is a pretty defense heavy draft for out situation, but if that's where the value is, so be it. Just keep getting good players and you will win.

I really like Harper, like Brown too. Is he too light? Wesley Woodyard doesn't even go 230, does he? He seems to do pretty well flying around the field. Big and heavy hasn't exactly been a consistent winner for us at the position.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
This is a pretty defense heavy draft for out situation, but if that's where the value is, so be it. Just keep getting good players and you will win.

I really like Harper, like Brown too. Is he too light? Wesley Woodyard doesn't even go 230, does he? He seems to do pretty well flying around the field. Big and heavy hasn't exactly been a consistent winner for us at the position.
The knock on Brown is his strength but the guy has 4.5 speed and excels in coverage and has great instincts. Having 3 linebackers with great instincts will lead to great success.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1210

I cannot understand using your first round pick for a player with that many obvious weaknesses.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2235

I'M SO ANGRY...Just kidding but being honest this isn't an ideal scenario for me. I think we can re-sign Thomas Howard and I remember him being our best LB before his injury so adding two more LB's early is not as big of a necessity if he is back next season. I really like Arthur Brown and would like that pick. I also like your last three picks of the draft because all three guys have upside and provide immediate depth at positions that need it. I think we need a RB with speed to complement BJGE and would look at players like Bernard, Ellington, Randle, and Barner to fill that spot. Lattimore in the third isn't bad value and could be worth the risk at that point but I fear he will never get back to being the same RB he was a couple of years ago. Watching him last season he seemed timid and not quite as good as the previous year. Another really bad injury on top of that and I worry about the Carson Palmer syndrome and how it may affect his ability on the field.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8509

We'd have a nasty D; but I can't get behind a draft that only addresses the O with a guy that might not even play in 2013. Zimmer has shown that he can put together a top D without the greatest players; I'd prefer to mix it up between the O and D in the early goings. If we add a RB or WR in 2 I'll be happy to use the other 2 or even 3 day 1 and 2 picks on D
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1513

I wouldn't hate it, I'd like to address WR and RB in the first 3 rounds though.
Personally I'd wait and see if Lattimore fell to the 4th. He might not, but I wouldn't risk the 3rd rounder. In the 3rd round take DJ Swearinger, and with pick 2b take the best WR available.

I would then figure out which 1 LBer I really want, then take another position with 1 or 2A. Maybe another RB? Lattimore is a risk, so I wouldn't want to hang our hat on him.

I hope we can trade out of the 1st round and pick up a 3rd round pick with one of the teams that want a QB personally. Stockpiling picks in this draft would be most wise.

With all of that said, this is your mock, and it does potentially make LBer a strength for us, so good job!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2447

If this were to happen, I would think it would be best to put Burfict at SAM, seeing as he is not as good in coverage as Arthur Brown. Burfict at SAM, Minter at MIKE, and Brown at WILL.

Agree with others that unless another RB is taken as well, not worth the risk getting just Lattimore. I don't want to see another season of just BJGE and Peerman if Lattimore were to not be ready for the season or suffer a setback during the season.

Like the Harper and Thomas picks.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Of course for a draft like this to take place we would have to make some moves in free agency to help the offense. There are quite a few RBs and WRs that will be available.

My thought process behind this mock is to provide weapons to the members of our coaching staff that actually know how to utilize them.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

I really don't like the Minter pick. To me it just doesn't address the MLB spot the way we need to do it.

How many times have we seen teams slice us up in the middle of the field with Rey covering or watching a RB take advantage of Rey in coverage.

I think that we need a guy that can cover and do it very well. We haven't had an issue stopping run, but that's mainly due to the d-line play, not the LBers. We can put an athletic fast guy behind our line and still not suffer when it comes to run defense.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:

1-Kevin Minter MLB LSU. Minter does have his shortcomings. He is slightly stiff in the hips and does lack great coverage skills but he is great versus the run. Surround him with the right team and let him stop the run

2a-Aurther Brown SLB Kansas State. Here is step one to surrounding Minter with the right team. Brown is pretty light for his position but he is extremely athletic and very good in coverage. Minter and Brown should be the perfect duo.

2b-Phillip Thomas S Fresno State. Thomas is a guy that can play FS and SS like Nelson thus making them virtually inerchangable. Needs to work on his open field tackling otherwise he is the top safety in the class.

3-Marcus Lattimore HB South Carolina. Probably the biggest BOOM/BUST player since McGahee. Hopefully he can have a similar story.

4- Joe Kruger DE Utah 6ft7 275lbs DE could fill in in the case of losing MJ although he will likely need time to develop. Maybe we tag MJ and allow Kruger to sit behind him for a year.

5a-Chris Harper WR Kansas State 6ft1 228lbs WR with 4.35 speed. I'll take a flyer.

6a-Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin. Wisconsin O-linemen seem to work for us.

6b-Sanders Commings CB Georgia. Late round flyer on a Bulldog at a position of need.
Arthur Brown is not big enough to play SLB he is a wlb.