Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377
Default Re: Talk beginning to churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
It's just difficult to get behind the idea of us making a big splash know free agency. Coles was declining, but he wound up hitting a brick wall here. Bryant didn't do much until Tampa and that blew up in our face. Our biggest splash, Odom, came during one of the weakest free agency periods recently.

We had a lot of cap room last season and people were convinced we were going to sign someone like Mario Williams. Instead we signed guys like Jamal Anderson and Derrick Harvey. I imagine that we'll play around with the money and pour most of it in our own players and continue our usual bottom of the barrel signings.
I completely agree. I actually think our big free agent signing will end up being Michael Boley.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 217

Rather draft Hopkins.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
about Mike Wallace landing in Cincinnati....

Per Stripe Hype...

I know its stripe hype but the fact that other sources are beginning to bring the topic up, I figured I would throw this topic back on the board.

Would you want Wallace here? How much would you pay him?
Wallace is not worth the money he wants. He's a home run hitter for sure, but way too inconsistent.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Does it not make you wonder why he is not more used on a team that is a perennial contender and has a QB with a huge arm? Maybe Tomlin is just a terrible coach? A guy as talented as these boards claim yet a team like Pittsburgh whom many want us to be like does not seem to value him so highly? Head scratcher isnt it?

By the way Brandon Tate averaged 18 yards per catch in New England.
On what, 20 catches? Wallace has averaged 17 for his career, not just one little bit of one season. And you can take your damn sarcasm and please shove it. It is so tiring to even try to talk to you. Can't you just talk like a real man?

Did I say anything about Tomlin?

Here it is in a nutshell. You don't know the meaning of an open mind. Your mind is some closed up little box that's probably attached to the giant stick that's up your behind.

You make up your mind on something and then you come at anyone who disagrees with you with lame sarcasm and all these snarky little remarks that you would not make to me if we were standing face to face.

Can't you attack the remark ot the opinion without attacking the man? What is with that? Is that how people behave where you come from?

Bottom line, learn a little bit about human relations or I have no more to say to you. There are too many people on this board who do know how to relate to humans to waste my time on someone who doesn't.

Back off, please. Just check yourself and stop acting like you know it all and try to just have a regular old conversation with someone. The advantage of having a bit of an open mind is that sometimes a little new information accidently falls in.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
Jimmie Graham, Victor Cruz, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, and A.J. Green all dropped more passes than Wallace last season (among others).

I don't see that as a big problem.
It's just something that people who don't like the guy are clinging to to make their case. It's been said here he catches no more than half the passes thrown to him, even though the stats say otherwise. Damn you and your facts. lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
His reception percentage has dropped every season:

2010-60.8%
2011-60.5%
2012-53.8%
I'm no math wiz, but all those numbers appear to me to be over 50%. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Like him, don't like him, would like to have him, wouldn't like to, fine. But to act like he wouldn't be a big help to our offense is beyond asinine and just lying to oneself.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

If the price is right heck yes on Wallace. But I think his contract demands will be too high. I had the same impression that drops were a big problem for him this year. Seemed like every time I saw a Steelers game he dropped a big pass.

I think it is safe to say his contract situation effected his play this year.

Rottenturdgurggler has the ability to make WRs look better than they really are though. So it is a buyer beware situation. With our recent luck on big money free agent WRs I just don't think the probability is very high.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
If the price is right heck yes on Wallace. But I think his contract demands will be too high. I had the same impression that drops were a big problem for him this year. Seemed like every time I saw a Steelers game he dropped a big pass.

I think it is safe to say his contract situation effected his play this year.

Rottenturdgurggler has the ability to make WRs look better than they really are though. So it is a buyer beware situation. With our recent luck on big money free agent WRs I just don't think the probability is very high.
He will drop passes, but 6 in a year doesn't sound all that bad to me. And he will make plays and he will demand respect and he will scare the bejesus out of a lot of CB's and DC's.The offense would be immediately better.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
He will drop passes, but 6 in a year doesn't sound all that bad to me. And he will make plays and he will demand respect and he will scare the bejesus out of a lot of CB's and DC's.The offense would be immediately better.
He wants 10-11 mil a year though. I don't want to allocate 1/12 of the salary cap to an outside free agent whose specialty is catching deep bombs when that is our QBs weakest trait.

No doubt it makes us better offensively but in the long run it could cost us AJ.

If Dalton gets better next year and wins a playoff game or two his price is going to skyrocket. We have the majority of young stars on cheap contracts. Spending that much on a WR could royally screw us in the future.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
He wants 10-11 mil a year though. I don't want to allocate 1/12 of the salary cap to an outside free agent whose specialty is catching deep bombs when that is our QBs weakest trait.

No doubt it makes us better offensively but in the long run it could cost us AJ.

If Dalton gets better next year and wins a playoff game or two his price is going to skyrocket. We have the majority of young stars on cheap contracts. Spending that much on a WR could royally screw us in the future.
Maybe wanting and getting are two different things. Maybe the ten mil salary is not out there for him.

I don't think it'll ever happen. I don't even argue that. I just disagree with anyone saying he's not a player.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

We need someone who will take pressure off Green. Wallace will do that but at a huge cost. I think we should bring in a guy like Bowe who will be cheaper.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Talk beginning to churn

Quote:
I'm no math wiz, but all those numbers appear to me to be over 50%. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Where did I say they were not? The subject was brought up of his hands. I posted his reception%. There was nothing more to it than that.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
On what, 20 catches? Wallace has averaged 17 for his career, not just one little bit of one season. And you can take your damn sarcasm and please shove it. It is so tiring to even try to talk to you. Can't you just talk like a real man?

Did I say anything about Tomlin?

Here it is in a nutshell. You don't know the meaning of an open mind. Your mind is some closed up little box that's probably attached to the giant stick that's up your behind.

You make up your mind on something and then you come at anyone who disagrees with you with lame sarcasm and all these snarky little remarks that you would not make to me if we were standing face to face.

Can't you attack the remark ot the opinion without attacking the man? What is with that? Is that how people behave where you come from?

Bottom line, learn a little bit about human relations or I have no more to say to you. There are too many people on this board who do know how to relate to humans to waste my time on someone who doesn't.

Back off, please. Just check yourself and stop acting like you know it all and try to just have a regular old conversation with someone. The advantage of having a bit of an open mind is that sometimes a little new information accidently falls in.
Please point out where I made a personal attack on you in the post in question. I posed some questions that apparently you did not like.

1) If he is the elite threat that many are making him out to be then why would his current team not be all over getting him back?

2) If he is a huge threat and is not being looked at as a cornerstone of their offense then wouldn't the coaching have to be called into question? It sure was when it came to the Bengals and a playoff loss.

3) With the above points does it not make you somewhat curious as to why the Steelers do not see him as a priority?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGuy344 View Post
We need someone who will take pressure off Green. Wallace will do that but at a huge cost. I think we should bring in a guy like Bowe who will be cheaper.
i worry about Bowe's health.

I know Wallace will be pricey but this will show us if Dalton has what it takes.

"We treat it like the Hunger Games,"Whoever gets there first, me, Geno, and Mike are licking our chops like we hadn't eaten all day." -Dunlap
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 575

Quote:
Please point out where I made a personal attack on you in the post in question. I posed some questions that apparently you did not like.

1) If he is the elite threat that many are making him out to be then why would his current team not be all over getting him back?

2) If he is a huge threat and is not being looked at as a cornerstone of their offense then wouldn't the coaching have to be called into question? It sure was when it came to the Bengals and a playoff loss.

3) With the above points does it not make you somewhat curious as to why the Steelers do not see him as a priority?
hmm I see your points here, but I think he is best in a supporting roll, Having AJ will make him look very Elite.

You never know what happened with talks between the team/player/agent maybe some bridges were burned. You never know. If the steelers didn't want him they would have deactivated him when he came back. The fact that he was starting tells me that they want him.

Would I want Wallace if we didn't have AJ..... No

"We treat it like the Hunger Games,"Whoever gets there first, me, Geno, and Mike are licking our chops like we hadn't eaten all day." -Dunlap
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 789

Can Dalton even get a deep ball to wallace? Once the league figures out he may not be able to (hah), would they care much about wallace?

Even big ben can't hit wallace sometimes, he over throws him.

And AJ is going to get the majority of the balls regardless, if they can contain mike wallace's cry baby attitude - he could help. Do they have any person in their locker room who acts like that now though? Doubt it.

Secondly I bet wallace would come up big in games against the steelers (and maybe even ravens). It could help us get over the AFC-N Win-loss hump.

Last edited by reuben.ahmed; 02-08-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1082

Quote:

Aren't the Steelers something like 10 mil over the cap? Maybe that's why they don't want to pay him the 11 mil a year he wants.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post
hmm I see your points here, but I think he is best in a supporting roll, Having AJ will make him look very Elite.

You never know what happened with talks between the team/player/agent maybe some bridges were burned. You never know. If the steelers didn't want him they would have deactivated him when he came back. The fact that he was starting tells me that they want him.

Would I want Wallace if we didn't have AJ..... No
I guess my biggest worry with him is ego. He (right or wrong) just comes across to me as an individual stat sort of guy. Really if team success was important to him then you would think he would realize that with the Steelers he is in the catbird seat.

They have a big arm guy in Ben. A guy that goes against the grain when plays breakdown. When many QBs are keeping plays alive with their legs they are looking for the easiest completion they can find. When Ben is doing so he is looking to gash you deep down the field. This plays right into the wheelhouse of Wallace.

They have some other good receiving options in Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, and Heath Miller. If this does not make for an outstanding receiving corp then I am not sure what does. However he only seems to be concerned with his personal numbers in the whole thing.

Tomlin has a history of not liking bad attitude players which I feel has to be considered as a factor as to why they are not pursuing Wallace more heavily than they are.

I absolutely agree he is more of a compliment type guy. Question is does he understand that?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 789

No, he has a bad attitude if he wants out of PB. Who in our lockerroom (that we know of) has a bad attitude right now?

I'm not going back to ochocinco and TO days. Maybe if you ban wallace from any media interviews and tweeting, he is not allowed to publicly communicate with anyone in the sports world - then nobody will know how much he's crying inside, haha.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
Aren't the Steelers something like 10 mil over the cap? Maybe that's why they don't want to pay him the 11 mil a year he wants.
Oh there is no doubt it is a factor. However we all know if a team feels that a player is worth X number. Then there are measures that could be taken to get there. I think they as well feel that guys like Sanders and Brown are much more complete receivers.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 892

This is not going to happen. If we sign Wallace at $10 million a year, we'll have to pay AJ $15 million a year. That would lock up about 20% of the cap on 2 WR's. Then, we'd still have to sign Atkins and Dalton.

We drafted 2 WR's last year for a reason.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27416

Quote:
Oh there is no doubt it is a factor. However we all know if a team feels that a player is worth X number. Then there are measures that could be taken to get there. I think they as well feel that guys like Sanders and Brown are much more complete receivers.
It's extremely doubtful that the Steelers really feel that Brown and Sanders are better than Wallace.

The 5 yr 42.5 million dollar contract they gave Brown was first offered to Wallace. Sanders isn't even in the same stratosphere.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
about Mike Wallace landing in Cincinnati....

Per Stripe Hype...

I know its stripe hype but the fact that other sources are beginning to bring the topic up, I figured I would throw this topic back on the board.

Would you want Wallace here? How much would you pay him?
If we can get him under a decent contract that doesnt cost us Geno or Green then do it.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrd14 View Post
This is not going to happen. If we sign Wallace at $10 million a year, we'll have to pay AJ $15 million a year. That would lock up about 20% of the cap on 2 WR's. Then, we'd still have to sign Atkins and Dalton.

We drafted 2 WR's last year for a reason.
When you have $55 million in cap space you can do a creative contract that will not give a guy a huge cap number in future years. That would allow us to sign a guy for decent money and retain our guys.

I'm not saying that Wallace is the guy we should sign, but to say that you are going to burn 20% of the cap on 2 WR shouldn't be accurate. The front office needs to start front loading these contracts to avoid future cap issues. It's not that hard to accomplish,