Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225
Default Xavier Rhodes with our 1st pick?

I could see us taking the best player avaialable with our 1st pick. I don't think we should use our 1st pick on a DE, OLB, S, or a RB, because I don't believe in the players that are ranked high. I think there are better players in later rounds....I would take Rhodes in the 1st round since Kirkpatrick is unproven and is unhealthy. I could see a stacked CB core with Hall, Rhodes, & Kirkpatrick. It would give our D line more time to get to the qb & with our 2A pick we should take Margus Hunt at DE while resigning MJ to give us some rotation since we seem to be thin at DE. I think Rhodes will be a dominant CB in the league & would be a great pick for us in the 1st.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476
bengals Re: Xavier Rhodes with our 1st pick?

I am sure there are many that will not like the idea but I would have zero problem with it. You can never have too many good DBs in todays league. Rhodes is a very good cover corner and while many scoff at the idea of such things he is heady and physical enough to be an impact player in a safety role.

Personally I would like to see Adam Jones back but in a diminished role as a defensive player and an increased role as a returner. Newman had a good season but I would rather see younger, faster, and more physical at the position. You have to wonder if the declined physical skills of a guy like Newman is what forced the hand of soft coverage so often.

Zimmer is known for liking physical corners so I was baffled by the cushion we gave on sucha cconsistent basis. It seemed like they were so concerned with getting ran past that we never saw receivers getting popped at the line of scrimmage.

In short I like the idea and have considered it myself.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18636
Default Re: Xavier Rhodes with our 1st pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I could see us taking the best player avaialable with our 1st pick. I don't think we should use our 1st pick on a DE, OLB, S, or a RB, because I don't believe in the players that are ranked high. I think there are better players in later rounds....I would take Rhodes in the 1st round since Kirkpatrick is unproven and is unhealthy. I could see a stacked CB core with Hall, Rhodes, & Kirkpatrick. It would give our D line more time to get to the qb & with our 2A pick we should take Margus Hunt at DE while resigning MJ to give us some rotation since we seem to be thin at DE. I think Rhodes will be a dominant CB in the league & would be a great pick for us in the 1st.
Relatively speaking, CB is not that high on the list of needs, imo. We definitely have bigger holes elsewhere. In my mind, it comes down to value for the pick. If you get a top talent at CB, that can never be bad thing. But in a perfect world, value hooks up with need.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

I'd have no problem with the pick. He's 6'2 220lbs, and moves like a much smaller guy. Has the highest ceiling of any corner in the draft for sure. Looks like a better corner than Stephen Gilmore was last season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go earlier than expected.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Relatively speaking, CB is not that high on the list of needs, imo. We definitely have bigger holes elsewhere. In my mind, it comes down to value for the pick. If you get a top talent at CB, that can never be bad thing. But in a perfect world, value hooks up with need.
Can not argue with this. However I think one thing that has happened with the new CBA is that it has allowed for a scenario such as selecting a guy like Rhodes. The rookie cap allows for a team to now have three young high quality guys at a premium position like CB.

Guards were not usually first round selections. You may have had that one guy that stood out from the rest but with the new CBA I think it has more properly aligned value.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2847

Good conversation so far on this. It would be a great value pick.

However.

I doubt he makes it past the NFC South teams picking in the 'teens.

And even if he did, and Ogletree, Vacarro, and Okafor are available, Rhodes would be 4th on that list.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Offense. Offense. Offense.

That's what we're going to be picking.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post

I didn't know that safety was an offensive position
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

They are not going to just ignore defense I can promise you that. If the offensive value is not there then they will go defense and you can bank that. They will not reach for an offensive player.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
They are not going to just ignore defense I can promise you that. If the offensive value is not there then they will go defense and you can bank that. They will not reach for an offensive player.
Yet you think they will reach for a defensive player?

Don't worry. The top players available will be offensive.

I'm not basing this on need though. Believe me, I agree that our defense ***** and needs a lot of help. And I would never argue with drafting a top CB. You can never have too many. But there will be too many good offensive weapons available. Our number one weakness was inability to score points. And we always address defense in free agency.

Last edited by Bull Durham; 02-08-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4857

He will be off the board before we pick. See possibly the Browns who are looking for another shut down corner opposite Haden. Their new D coach likes to blitz a ton which means he needs two really good corners.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2847

Quote:
Yet you think they will reach for a defensive player like Ogletree?

I'm not basing this on need though. Believe me, I agree that our defense ***** and needs a lot of help. And I would never argue with drafting a top CB. You can never have too many.
Like I asked in another thread, care to get the discussion going by telling us who we could pick on that side of the ball?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yet you think they will reach for a defensive player like Ogletree?

I did not say a word about Ogletree and actually am not a fan of the selection myself. So what top player on offense will fit the 21st selection? I hope you are not going to throw out a RB name. The only receiver I would tak with the selection would be Patterson.

Last edited by OSUfan; 02-08-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648

I'd love Rhodes or Vacarro. I think if both are there, you need to pull the trigger on one. Not sure which. Probably Rhodes, and get DJ Swearinger in the 3rd or if we are lucky 4th. Swearinger will not only be a hard hitting safety that can drive fear into opposing players, but he will also be a defensive leader!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2749

Quote:
I did not say a word about Ogletree and actually am not a fan of the selection myself. So what top player on offense will fit the 21st selection? I hope you are not going to thro out a RB name. The only receiver I would tak with the selection would be Patterson.
Agreed for the most part. The other WR I would take in the first would be Keenan Allen if available, but he's projected in the early teens. As OSUfan said, a great RB and WR can both be had in round 2 or later. IMO this draft year is not one that we need to reach for players. So much good talent in rounds 2 and 3 that most feel are not far off from the talent available in the late first.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014

I dont think I would like that pick very much, to be honest with all of you. I think you could go OLine, LB, Safety or DE that would be of higher value to us then CB. But if they did pick Rhodes, I guess I would just have to trust the pick, seeing how the Bengals have had some good drafts the last couple years.

Warmack, Vacarro, Ogletree, Okafor, Montgomery

IDK though, I would take anything that would improve our chances of going to the Super Bowl.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I dont think I would like that pick very much, to be honest with all of you. I think you could go OLine, LB, Safety or DE that would be of higher value to us then CB. But if they did pick Rhodes, I guess I would just have to trust the pick, seeing how the Bengals have had some good drafts the last couple years.

Warmack, Vacarro, Ogletree, Okafor, Montgomery

IDK though, I would take anything that would improve our chances of going to the Super Bowl.
Warmack, Vicarro, Ogletree all project to be gone when we select.

Okafor and Montgomery project lower than Rhodes. Not too mention in all likelyhood we will be able to retain MJ, Gilberry, and Geathers(at a reduced price) while extending Dunlap.

There is not a safety after Vicarro that projects anywhere close to Rhodes.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892

We could always move a cornerback to the Safety position.

I haven't looked too much into Xavier Rhodes as I haven't perceived CB as an early draft need, but it sounds like he has good size to be a Safety I just wonder if he has the physicality.

I really think Dre Kirkpatrick could move over to Safety, because he was one of the more physical CB's in last years draft, but his inability to stay healthy his rookie season gives me concerns about him playing a more physical role.

So I mean if we feel Dre can move to S or a good CB like Rhodes could move to S I wouldn't be against the idea of taking a CB early because S is a top 3 need, but if we plan to keep them both at CB I'd feel we should look elsewhere. Still BPA is never a bad strategy I won't hate it, but I'll think we could have strengthened other positions.

As far as WR's go I personally like Hopkins the most. He's a beast and a very clutch receiver as we saw multiple times this year. Would make a great #2 next to AJ. I'd probably pass (wouldn't be mad at all) at #21, but at #37 I'd be ecstatic to grab him.

Last edited by Carolinabengalfanguy; 02-08-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
We could always move a cornerback to the Safety position.

I haven't looked too much into Xavier Rhodes as I haven't perceived CB as an early draft need, but it sounds like he has good size to be a Safety I just wonder if he has the physicality.

I really think Dre Kirkpatrick could move over to Safety, because he was one of the more physical CB's in last years draft, but his inability to stay healthy his rookie season gives me concerns about him playing a more physical role.

So I mean if we feel Dre can move to S or a good CB like Rhodes could move to S I wouldn't be against the idea of taking a CB early because S is a top 3 need, but if we plan to keep them both at CB I'd feel we should look elsewhere. Still BPA is never a bad strategy I won't hate it, but I'll think we could have strengthened other positions.

As far as WR's go I personally like Hopkins the most. He's a beast and a very clutch receiver as we saw multiple times this year. Would make a great #2 next to AJ. I'd probably pass (wouldn't be mad at all) at #21, but at #37 I'd be ecstatic to grab him.

Interesting that you mention Deandre Hopkins, as Albert Breer of NFL.com has him mocked to Bengals in 1st.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1909

I can only guess that the Bengals won't go CB with the 1st pick. I see them resigning Newman and Jones. We also can hopefully count on Kirkpatrick or Brandon Ghee one of them being healthy. Hobson also said the darkhorse in the CB situation was Prater.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
I didn't know that safety was an offensive position
I found the way some of our guys played to be pretty offensive.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I did not say a word about Ogletree and actually am not a fan of the selection myself. So what top player on offense will fit the 21st selection? I hope you are not going to throw out a RB name. The only receiver I would tak with the selection would be Patterson.
Allen would be worth the 21 but he'll probably already be gone. I wouldn't close the book on Lacy at 21 either if he shows well at the combine. It might be a slight reach but I believe he'll end up with a late first round grade.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 218

Quote:

The only BPA on offense would likely be an OL or WR. Most likely depends on what shakes out the first 20 picks. Unless we trade up... however unlikely.. Very anxious to see how the Indy exercises play out.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2627

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Allen would be worth the 21 but he'll probably already be gone. I wouldn't close the book on Lacy at 21 either if he shows well at the combine. It might be a slight reach but I believe he'll end up with a late first round grade.
I was thinking the same about Lacy at 21, but I also have a feeling that some athletic freak WR may distinguish himself at the combine. Probably some mid-tier school player with great receiving stats. People ignore mid-tier stats until objective measurements (speed, vertical, and broad jumps) make everyone realize there was a REASON for those numbers. (Same goes for some defensive players ala Connor Barwin.)

Love me some combine.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22580

Quote:
I am sure there are many that will not like the idea but I would have zero problem with it. You can never have too many good DBs in todays league. Rhodes is a very good cover corner and while many scoff at the idea of such things he is heady and physical enough to be an impact player in a safety role.

Personally I would like to see Adam Jones back but in a diminished role as a defensive player and an increased role as a returner. Newman had a good season but I would rather see younger, faster, and more physical at the position. You have to wonder if the declined physical skills of a guy like Newman is what forced the hand of soft coverage so often.

Zimmer is known for liking physical corners so I was baffled by the cushion we gave on sucha cconsistent basis. It seemed like they were so concerned with getting ran past that we never saw receivers getting popped at the line of scrimmage.

In short I like the idea and have considered it myself.
If you draft Rhodes; Kirkpatrick, Ghee and Prater will stop progressing. Do you really want to stop their progression?