Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6799
Default Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-ffc98164c7b1

Basically the usual claptrap about not being players in Free Agency (despite having the most cap room by far in the league). He also doesn't even get the need positions correct.

If this is true we can forget about improvements on the team - it sounds like the front office is still going to do their reactive, WAY too cautious approach to the offseason.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2757
Default Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

I think I believe I'd like to have 5 minutes of my life back. If you're going to say that they won't make a big splash...tell me where they will actually spend the money the HAVE to spend.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 719

I am not even asking for a bunch of free agents. Just sign ONE and I will be happy, but I want that one free agent to be a high caliber free agent like Greg Jennings. Although I know that I am even asking too much when I say one.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

We have to sign one good player at either RB, OLB, or DE.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
We have to sign one good player at either RB, OLB, or DE.
We will. Thomas Howard and Michael Johnson.

You guys are ridiculous. Of course we're going to sign free agents. We have probably fewer players under contract than any team in the NFL. That means we have to sign a whole bunch of guys.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23528
bengals Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-ffc98164c7b1

Basically the usual claptrap about not being players in Free Agency (despite having the most cap room by far in the league). He also doesn't even get the need positions correct.

If this is true we can forget about improvements on the team - it sounds like the front office is still going to do their reactive, WAY too cautious approach to the offseason.
You mean same old Bengals that have accounted for playoffs 3 of 4 seasons and back to back playoffs? The same old Bengals that were arguably only an injury to a young receiver of a playoff win. The same old strategy that accounted for a guy like Wallace Gilberry? The same old Bengals that have accounted for one of the youngest and most solid core groups in the league?

Terrible for sure.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil413 View Post
I think I believe I'd like to have 5 minutes of my life back. If you're going to say that they won't make a big splash...tell me where they will actually spend the money the HAVE to spend.
They don't HAVE to spend anything.

And if you wan to know where they are going to spend it. That's simple. Andre Smith, Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Thomas Howard, etc.

And the only reason they have money to spend is because they have so many damn expiring contracts and fewer players under contract than other teams. When you have to sign so many players just to fill out your roster, you can't really break the bank on a couple guys.

They'll add a couple veteran guys on defense like they usually do. Maybe a safety or linebacker. Then they'll add some offensive weapons in the draft. But they're not going to spend big bucks on an aging wide receiver like Greg Jennings when they can get someone younger and just as talented in the draft at a fraction of the price.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil413 View Post
Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, Thomas Howard, Geno Atkins, Wallace Gilberry, Carlos Dunlap, Robert Geathers (yes they will look to bring him back at a lower figure).......should I keep going with names?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
You mean same old Bengals that have accounted for playoffs 3 of 4 seasons and back to back playoffs? The same old Bengals that were arguably only an injury to a young receiver of a playoff win. The same old strategy that accounted for a guy like Wallace Gilberry? The same old Bengals that have accounted for one of the youngest and most solid core groups in the league?

Terrible for sure.
It's also the same old strategy that's accounted for how many playoff wins?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5118

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
You have to learn to walk before you run. We have to learn to win enough to consistently get into the post season before we win in it. It will come but some fans act like the window is closing or something. You just went through 20 years of futility and now act like it is Super Bowl or Bust.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45485

I don't have any problem with the strategy of re-signing the good players, making minor upgrades in FA, and drafting smart.

The Bengals roster from last season wasn't that bad, at all. Just a couple players away from being serious contenders. Some of those upgrades will come from continued development of the younger players, some will come in the form of previously injured players being healthy.

There's not much that the Bengals need to look outside of last years roster and a draft class for, in order to get to the next level.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73370

We're not doing what has been historically unsuccessful since the start of free agency? Awesome
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13995

We wont dab into free agency unless we lose M.J/Smith etc. It's been pretty obvious (regardless of the sign so and so threads that pop up) that our priorities will be on our own. Yea it's frustrating to see other teams do so much with much less cap space, but at this point we should all know the routine.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10563

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
We wont dab into free agency unless we lose M.J/Smith etc. It's been pretty obvious (regardless of the sign so and so threads that pop up) that our priorities will be on our own. Yea it's frustrating to see other teams do so much with much less cap space, but at this point we should all know the routine.
And guess what, if we lose them, all the replacements that are on their same level will be gone by the time we react. Just like when we replaced J-Jo with Clements. We need an IMMEDIATE starter at Safety who is not named Nelson. We also need IMMEDIATE starters at #2 WR and change of pace Back. If we can fill those in the draft, awesome.

We got 1 starter out of the first 3 picks last years, and that was with 2 in the 1st round. So we better fill one of these holes in FA.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
And guess what, if we lose them, all the replacements that are on their same level will be gone by the time we react. Just like when we replaced J-Jo with Clements. We need an IMMEDIATE starter at Safety who is not named Nelson. We also need IMMEDIATE starters at #2 WR and change of pace Back. If we can fill those in the draft, awesome.

We got 1 starter out of the first 3 picks last years, and that was with 2 in the 1st round. So we better fill one of these holes in FA.
So this means you do not believe Sanu is of starting quality correct? As well, had Devon Still or Brandon Thompson been needed to start then I have no doubt they could have and been productive doing it. A very good indicator of an improving team is not having to count on draft picks to start for your team.

Last edited by OSUfan; 02-08-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnachange View Post
So of the teams that went out and landed high profile FAs how many of them did not even make the post season?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
You have to learn to walk before you run. We have to learn to win enough to consistently get into the post season before we win in it. It will come but some fans act like the window is closing or something. You just went through 20 years of futility and now act like it is Super Bowl or Bust.
You mean like the Texans, a franchise founded in 2002? Who, before 2011, had a 53-89 overall record with no division titles, no playoff wins, no playoff appearances, and only one winning season?

They seemed to turn that ship around real quick, going 22-10 with 2 straight division titles and 2 playoff wins(against the Bengals) since 2011.

Bengals: 1991-2012: 2 division titles, 0 playoff wins
Texans: 2002-2012: 2 division titles, 2 playoff wins

My point is, I don't buy that "walk before you run" mantra.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post

I agree. It's funny how Hobson brings up Baltimore as an example of the philosophy of signing your own and not being players in free agency. When Baltimore needed a starting WR they signed Anquan Boldin, who at that time had made three Pro Bowls in his career. And when they needed an upgrade at FB they signed Vonta Leach, coming off an All-Pro season with the Texans at the time (and has since made 2 further All-Pro teams). Definitely an example of how adding one or two Pro Bowl caliber FAs can help the team significantly. The point seems to be that now, this offseason, Baltimore are in some cap trouble ... but, so what? They have a Superbowl to show for it. They also got into cap trouble and had to gut the roster after their last Superbowl win in 2000, but I'd quite happily trade a Superbowl win every now and then for the occasional cap-strained offseason.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10563

Quote:
So this means you do not believe Sanu is of starting quality correct? As well, had Deveon Still or Brandon Thompson been needed to start then I have no doubt they could have and been productive doing it. A very good indicator of an improving team is not having to count on draft picks to start for your team.
Ehhhhh, I just don't know. I think Sanu looked pretty good before he got hurt, but I'm not 100% sold I guess. I really don't want to see the same approach that was taken last season with Binns and Tate. The staff evaluated their talent levels incorrectly seeing that they had them starting at the beginning of the year.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
I agree. It's funny how Hobson brings up Baltimore as an example of the philosophy of signing your own and not being players in free agency. When Baltimore needed a starting WR they signed Anquan Boldin, who at that time had made three Pro Bowls in his career. And when they needed an upgrade at FB they signed Vonta Leach, coming off an All-Pro season with the Texans at the time (and has since made 2 further All-Pro teams). Definitely an example of how adding one or two Pro Bowl caliber FAs can help the team significantly. The point seems to be that now, this offseason, Baltimore are in some cap trouble ... but, so what? They have a Superbowl to show for it. They also got into cap trouble and had to gut the roster after their last Superbowl win in 2000, but I'd quite happily trade a Superbowl win every now and then for the occasional cap-strained offseason.
Don't forget Willis McGahee, a back the Ravens traded a 3rd and 7th round pick for in 2007. He did well for the Bills, gaining almost 4000 total yards and scoring 24tds in 3 seasons.
I know he wasn't on the SB team, but he did help them win some playoff games.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29099

Quote:

Terrible for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
We're not doing what has been historically unsuccessful since the start of free agency? Awesome
Well said.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29099

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
They seemed to turn that ship around real quick, going 22-10 with 2 straight division titles and 2 playoff wins(against the Bengals) since 2011.

Bengals: 1991-2012: 2 division titles, 0 playoff wins
Texans: 2002-2012: 2 division titles, 2 playoff wins

My point is, I don't buy that "walk before you run" mantra.
Seemed being the operative word. What made a difference for the texans wasn't a change in Philosophy, but a change in Defensive Coordinator. No one here in Houston argues with that whatsoever. So your entire premise is invalid. Also the texans have gotten themselves in a world of butt hurt with the CAP to the point where they have had to let some of their best players go to other teams, and it has hurt them mightily and given them no flexibility.

It's the same thing every offseason. The arm chair GM's rant and rave about how we're doomed if we don't sign some big tiem FA's and we keep on winning and IMPROVING without doing it. Which shows howl ittle most of you know about football. Fans make terrible GM's. Just ask Jerry Jones (Jimmy Johnson made the personel calls that got them their SB's, not Jerry) and Dan Snyder.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Honestly, I would rather shore up and sign our core players to contracts before going out and dropping money on a Free Agent. Throw the money at Geno, AJ, MJ, Andre and get them extended. If there is money left over, which there should be, go out and sign a Free Agent.

Our offseason should go like this:

1.) Sign and extend our young core players who make an impact
2.) Sign one big name Free Agent
3.) Get your mindset to - DESTINATION NEW F****** YORK!!!!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

Quote:
So this means you do not believe Sanu is of starting quality correct? As well, had Deveon Still or Brandon Thompson been needed to start then I have no doubt they could have and been productive doing it. A very good indicator of an improving team is not having to count on draft picks to start for your team.
How can we be 100% sure of Sanu after one season he played basically 5 games? And, if it's a good sign when a team doesn't have to count on draft picks to start then hopefully we can agree that having to start Sanu and Jones last year at WR was a clear indication that we were NOT in good shape at WR.

Quote:
So of the teams that went out and landed high profile FAs how many of them did not even make the post season?
But, that's not a good argument against FA itself. Many of the teams that landed high profile FAs were already bad teams that weren't making the playoffs to begin with ... so their failures in 2012 reflect the fact that they're just generally bad teams. Some teams had high profile draft picks, but didn't make the playoffs ... but nobody uses that as an argument for never using a top 10 draft pick. Baltimore just won a Superbowl with Boldin, Leach and Jacoby Jones making huge contributions and Bryant McKinnie starting 4 playoff games at LT. The value of well-considered FAs who fill specific needs should be clear.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2767

I get worked up this time of year hoping the Bengals will sign some free agents. Personally, I think Wallace would have an incredible positive impact.

However, team chemistry is important. It is a rational strategy to use the money to keep our own guys, keep the core of team together, don't bring in new big egos, and continue to build through the draft.

However - this does mean you have to pay our guys like MJ, Andre, Geno, Dunlop, Green and Andy.

We are not that far away from being a true Super Bowl contender. Sticking with the gameplan is not all that bad.

I still think they might surprise us with one big signing in an area of need.