Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8926
Default Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
....It's the same thing every offseason. The arm chair GM's rant and rave about how we're doomed if we don't sign some big tiem FA's and we keep on winning and IMPROVING without doing it. Which shows howl ittle most of you know about football. Fans make terrible GM's. Just ask Jerry Jones (Jimmy Johnson made the personel calls that got them their SB's, not Jerry) and Dan Snyder.
OK, sure. Last year I ranted and raved about how we needed to sign a veteran WR to line up opposite AJ. But, I guess I know little about football considering the guy we tabbed to fill that role was cut 2/3 of the way into the season despite being completely healthy and having no disciplinary problems at all. Most fans also wanted a vet safety, but again, I guess we were all terrible GMs as evidenced by the fact that Myles and Mays were riding the pine after a few weeks and we had to sign Crocker off the street to save the D.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
Seemed being the operative word. What made a difference for the texans wasn't a change in Philosophy, but a change in Defensive Coordinator. No one here in Houston argues with that whatsoever. So your entire premise is invalid. Also the texans have gotten themselves in a world of butt hurt with the CAP to the point where they have had to let some of their best players go to other teams, and it has hurt them mightily and given them no flexibility.

It's the same thing every offseason. The arm chair GM's rant and rave about how we're doomed if we don't sign some big tiem FA's and we keep on winning and IMPROVING without doing it. Which shows howl ittle most of you know about football. Fans make terrible GM's. Just ask Jerry Jones (Jimmy Johnson made the personel calls that got them their SB's, not Jerry) and Dan Snyder.
So signing Wade Phillips, one of the best DCs in the NFL is what turned that team around? Ok, I agree with that. However, that's a high profile signing in and of itself.

My premise isn't invalid. They went from no playoff appearances in 9 seasons, to back to back division titles with 1 playoff win in 2011, and 1 more in 2012. I never said the players were the reason for that turnaround.
My point, again, was that you don't need to lose in the playoffs before you win, which was Au165's theory.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4976

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
You mean like the Texans, a franchise founded in 2002? Who, before 2011, had a 53-89 overall record with no division titles, no playoff wins, no playoff appearances, and only one winning season?

They seemed to turn that ship around real quick, going 22-10 with 2 straight division titles and 2 playoff wins(against the Bengals) since 2011.

Bengals: 1991-2012: 2 division titles, 0 playoff wins
Texans: 2002-2012: 2 division titles, 2 playoff wins

My point is, I don't buy that "walk before you run" mantra.
Actually look at us between 2002-2012 and we are very comparable.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-ffc98164c7b1

Basically the usual claptrap about not being players in Free Agency (despite having the most cap room by far in the league). He also doesn't even get the need positions correct.

If this is true we can forget about improvements on the team - it sounds like the front office is still going to do their reactive, WAY too cautious approach to the offseason.
He didn't get the need spots right?

S/OLB/RB aren't the needs on this team?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
And guess what, if we lose them, all the replacements that are on their same level will be gone by the time we react. Just like when we replaced J-Jo with Clements. We need an IMMEDIATE starter at Safety who is not named Nelson. We also need IMMEDIATE starters at #2 WR and change of pace Back. If we can fill those in the draft, awesome.

We got 1 starter out of the first 3 picks last years, and that was with 2 in the 1st round. So we better fill one of these holes in FA.
This I do know.If we do not make the playoffs this year and make a run at the big dance,it will be very hard to convince alot of fans to support this team going into 2014,especially filling up the seats at PBS.This organization knows this and that is why they are making the moves they are with coaching and players and so forth.Its all about the greenbacks, folks,our team is very close to making a run.Its just getting to the next level.I do believe they are working in that direction, and barring injury to key players, I see us having a great year.ITs very for sure they will get another back to help the law firm,and I have confidence in Hue Jackson and the scouts to pick a good one that fits us.I wish the draft was tomorrow.I do not see us going after any big time free agents that will demand huge money. We will get somebody to help us in free agency, but I can't put my finger on what position or who it will be.A little more time passing will give us a better idea.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681
bengals Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Honestly, I would rather shore up and sign our core players to contracts before going out and dropping money on a Free Agent. Throw the money at Geno, AJ, MJ, Andre and get them extended. If there is money left over, which there should be, go out and sign a Free Agent.

Our offseason should go like this:

1.) Sign and extend our young core players who make an impact
2.) Sign one big name Free Agent
3.) Get your mindset to - DESTINATION NEW F****** YORK!!!!

Relax, all you wonderful long-time,long suffering and big time supporters of our team, the CINCINNATI BENGALS.We will be in the playoffs this year.This staff is going in the right direction and they are as hungry as we are and Mikey wants a big-time win as well.He will be turning over the reins to Katie and the boys soon and he wants to honor his papa with a big-time appearance.Get on board for the ride this year.Its going to be a ROCKIN GOOD TIME IN THE NATI.BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Anyone remember did what the Eagles did a couple of seasons ago in free agency? That didnt work out so well now didnt it? So why get all butt hurt because were not going after every big name free agent out there..
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Anyone remember did what the Eagles did a couple of seasons ago in free agency? That didnt work out so well now didnt it? So why get all butt hurt because were not going after every big name free agent out there..
I remember that, but I also remember:

The Saints picking up Drew Brees and winning a Super Bowl
The Packers picking up Reggie White and winning a Super Bowl
The Packers picking up Charles Woodson and winning a Super Bowl
The Giants picking up a number of guys (Antrelle Rolle, Michael Boley, Chris Canty) and winning a Super Bowl
The Steelers picking up James Farrior and winning a Super Bowl

You don't have to go hog wild, but it doesn't hurt to bring in a high priced guy at a position of need to put your team over the top.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10450

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Because last year we had multiple holes to fill that never got filled because we did Jack in Free Agency and the rookies weren't capable starters.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post

The Giants picking up a number of guys (Antrelle Rolle, Michael Boley, Chris Canty) and winning a Super Bowl

You don't have to go hog wild, but it doesn't hurt to bring in a high priced guy at a position of need to put your team over the top.

That's a great point.

But, does anyone here truly believe that the Bengals are just "one key player" away from the Super Bowl? Likely not.

However, if everything were to go the Bengals way in terms of offensive player development, I could imagine a scenario where signing a big time WR2 could put them over the top.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
That's a great point.

But, does anyone here truly believe that the Bengals are just "one key player" away from the Super Bowl? Likely not.

However, if everything were to go the Bengals way in terms of offensive player development, I could imagine a scenario where signing a big time WR2 could put them over the top.
I really do think that the Bengals are one BIG key player from getting over the hump.

The defense is good enough to win a Super Bowl. I thought that getting a big time free agent OG last year could have really made the difference,, especially with the smash mouth running game the team wants to employ.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3023

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, Thomas Howard, Geno Atkins, Wallace Gilberry, Carlos Dunlap, Robert Geathers (yes they will look to bring him back at a lower figure).......should I keep going with names?
Yep. The Bengals will definitely look to use their money on their current players, as they have a good nucleus. Sure, they may have to spend a bit more than desired to keep some of them, but that's what FA is all about.

Last year we brought a few players that were not top tier, but played their roles well. Injuries amounted to cause those players to have to play larger roles than intended. We will probably go the same route again to improve our depth, but I just don't see us going after someone like Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, or Reggie Bush simply because we have the funds.

Grab an outside FA or two, re-sign our key FAs, extend Atkins and possibly Dunlap. We can improve our team greatly through the draft if done properly. Biggest FA signing I see happening is someone like Brian Hartline or Daryl Smith. Nothing elite, but better than what we currently have. Chris Ivory could be another possibility, but I'd be interested in seeing what pick(s) we'd have to give up for him.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:

Its not like we havent tried in years past... Shaun Rogers. I just think what weve done in the past few seasons has been the right formula, build through the draft and sign free agents to compliment our young talent.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3023

Quote:
I really do think that the Bengals are one BIG key player from getting over the hump.

The defense is good enough to win a Super Bowl. I thought that getting a big time free agent OG last year could have really made the difference,, especially with the smash mouth running game the team wants to employ.
If we were to get one BIG key player, who would you like it to be, or at least at what position?

I would like to see a top tier CB or WR. Maybe Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for CB or Greg Jennings for WR. Doubt either were to happen though. A top tier vet S may be more likely, as they command less $ than both top WRs and CBs. Possibly Landry or Byrd.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes;2804267

[B
I really do think that the Bengals are one BIG key player from getting over the hump.[/b]

I can agree with that. But, I have to add a qualifier. The OL

The OL must not only have all players in full health (Whitworth), re-sign Andre Smith, be able to count on Boling's continued develepment curve, AND make a permanent switch to Robinson at C. Oh, and get some quality blocking out of the TE position.

If all that becomes reality, I can completely go along with thinking that a serious WR2 would put the Bengals offense over the top.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-ffc98164c7b1

Basically the usual claptrap about not being players in Free Agency (despite having the most cap room by far in the league). He also doesn't even get the need positions correct.

If this is true we can forget about improvements on the team - it sounds like the front office is still going to do their reactive, WAY too cautious approach to the offseason.
If we are succesful in keeping and extending the contracts of key players, we really won't have alot to spend. It has always been their policy, Can't see why anyone would be surprised.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 53136

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I can agree with that. But, I have to add a qualifier. The OL

The OL must not only have all players in full health (Whitworth), re-sign Andre Smith, be able to count on Boling's continued develepment curve, AND make a permanent switch to Robinson at C. Oh, and get some quality blocking out of the TE position.

If all that becomes reality, I can completely go along with thinking that a serious WR2 would put the Bengals offense over the top.
This summarizes our most burning needs the best IMHO. Just imagine if we had this going for us last year the difference it would have made. Of course there are other details to be addressed, but taking care of these issues is a huge step forward.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
You have to learn to walk before you run. We have to learn to win enough to consistently get into the post season before we win in it. It will come but some fans act like the window is closing or something. You just went through 20 years of futility and now act like it is Super Bowl or Bust.
The Cincinnati Bengals - "Learning how to walk again since 1991"

How about a playoff win? One after 352 games/22 NFL seasons asking for too much?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
The Cincinnati Bengals - "Learning how to walk again since 1991"

How about a playoff win? One after 352 games/22 NFL seasons asking for too much?
1991? Lewis hasn't been here since 1991. We have players on this team who were born in 19991. Whatever happened in the past is done you need to move on and look at the present and future.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1551

Quote:
But I Think I Believe the Bengals also believe in developing young quarterbacks that can be groomed to be successful if called into the fray because of injury.
Jordan Palmer.

Quote:
So that opens up that first pick to either the best player on the board no matter the position (except quarterback), or the best player at a premium position.
I Think I Believe the Hobson needs to put down the steno pad for a couple of months.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28733

I hate Hobson, but he's probably right. He is the Bengals mouthpiece. It's his job to "let us down easy".

All I wanted was a WR, but apparently the Bengals are happy with Sanu. Sigh...

This team never learns. When they need 5 changes, they make 1. It's been like that for 20+ years.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
We will. Thomas Howard and Michael Johnson.

You guys are ridiculous. Of course we're going to sign free agents. We have probably fewer players under contract than any team in the NFL. That means we have to sign a whole bunch of guys.
This... Yes we have around 55 mil in cap space... But right now out of 53 guys... We maybe have 30 under contract. So theres at least 22 or 23 Free agents on our own team to re-sign or replace.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I hate Hobson, but he's probably right. He is the Bengals mouthpiece. It's his job to "let us down easy".

All I wanted was a WR, but apparently the Bengals are happy with Sanu. Sigh...

This team never learns. When they need 5 changes, they make 1. It's been like that for 20+ years.
Im very happy with sanu and i expect big things from him next year because he definately show'd he can play at this level his rookie year. That being said we still need a field stretcher opposite AJ green. Which might be Marvin Jones. If we have pieces in place then use the money to beef up other area's

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 639

The difference for me is why the Bengals need to make a big splash in FA. They don't. Even if a guy like Byrd isn't re-signed/tagged by the Bills, is he a better fit than Matt Elam or Bacarri Rambo given the Bengals' need at SS? Why spend 8 million a year on a FS when you could get a betterr fit at SS in the 2nd-3rd Rd.? Is a 28 year old Reggie Bush a better fit at RB than Mike Gillsilee, Jonathan Franklin, Jawan Jamison or Andre Ellington in the 3rd-4th Rd.? Less hits and fresh legs make more sense to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmp2 View Post
The difference for me is why the Bengals need to make a big splash in FA. They don't. Even if a guy like Byrd isn't re-signed/tagged by the Bills, is he a better fit than Matt Elam or Bacarri Rambo given the Bengals' need at SS? Why spend 8 million a year on a FS when you could get a betterr fit at SS in the 2nd-3rd Rd.? Is a 28 year old Reggie Bush a better fit at RB than Mike Gillsilee, Jonathan Franklin, Jawan Jamison or Andre Ellington in the 3rd-4th Rd.? Less hits and fresh legs make more sense to me.
Guys like Jarius Byrd and Reggie Bush have already proven to be good players at the NFL level. Owners/GM's want them because its taking less of a risk than drafting someone who's never played in the NFL.

Even the best college players can still be horrible NFL players.
If a team thinks they're on the verge of a SB, adding great FAs in key positions makes sense.

Since our defense was much more solid than our offense, id really like to see us add a top WR in FA. Everyone else can be drafted imo.