Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1325
Default Re: Under Cap

Most of it will go to re-signing our own free agents, then a good portion of whats left will go to giving guys like atkins extensions. We really wont have as much money to play with as people think, especially when next year we can start trying to extend green and we all know that will be a monster contract.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
Most of it will go to re-signing our own free agents, then a good portion of whats left will go to giving guys like atkins extensions. We really wont have as much money to play with as people think, especially when next year we can start trying to extend green and we all know that will be a monster contract.
If they don't spend some money on the offensive line, Green's contract won't matter much.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23677
bengals Re: Under Cap

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=109076
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
If they don't spend some money on the offensive line, Green's contract won't matter much.
They spent the 2nd highest amount of money on the O-line of any team in the playoffs.The redskins spent the most.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18938

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
We should have enough left over to make one or two big splashes in free agency and maybe a few smaller ones.

I don't think Dalton will command a big chunk of money, but we definitely need to throw a king's ransom at AJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
Alls we really need is a center and that should get our line to the next level. Maybe bring in a guy like Barret Jones to make sure that we at least have competition with Robinson to get the better guy on the field, but I don't even mention Cook because his play when he came back made me sick. You can say that Cook's injury wasn't completely healed, but then who's to say it will be completely healed this season, or ever?

If Robinson is controlling the position, then Jones could play left guard to make a hell of a guard core opposite Zeitler.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17304

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
His thoughts are important and need to be posted as a thread. Everyone elses discussion is not important.

(Can't find sarcasm button)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15760

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
His thoughts are important and need to be posted as a thread. Everyone elses discussion is not important.

(Can't find sarcasm button)
The guy even said "sorry if I'm late to the party". Not everyone reads this board everyday. Quit crying all of the time about this stuff. "Oh no, you had read something that should have been in another thread! The horror!"

At least he didn't break your imaginary 50 post rule.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
The guy even said "sorry if I'm late to the party". Not everyone reads this board everyday. Quit crying all of the time about this stuff. "Oh no, you had read something that should have been in another thread! The horror!"

Imagine that pot stirring.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 66

I think they resign most of our FA and maybe pick up a #2 receiver etc Dwayne Bowe, Wallace? I feel Wallace will want to much $
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45743

Quote:

Not imaginary, Toast. Not imaginary at all.

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=91770
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Not imaginary, Toast. Not imaginary at all.

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=91770
I know that part, I probably should have been more specific. "His imaginary 50 post rule, while ignoring the length of time since joined." Half the people that got the "50 post rule" (even though many started decent threads) were members that joined some time of ago. Thus the 50 post rule didn't apply, but we were still lucky to get a reminder from him each and every time.

I think I just confused myself. Hopefully that made some sense.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Imagine that pot stirring.
With this quote I'm sensing a theme. These are all within the last 24 hours:

Quote:
Let's put your pot stirring to rest.

You know that as well all just part of the pot stirring.
Quote:
Oh that is right you prefer just to stir the pot.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that just became aware of the phrase "stir the pot" recently, and now it's your favorite thing to say. Am I right?

Also, I'm not sure what this means, and I don't really want to know either:

Quote:
Not that it's your business, but his name was Roberto. We met at a camp. It was a one time thing. But I won't lie, it was magical.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 02-07-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
With this quote I'm sensing a theme. These are all within the last 24 hours:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that just became aware of the phrase "stir the pot" recently, and now it's your favorite thing to say. Am I right?

Also, I'm not sure what this means, and I don't really want to know either:

So you resort to making false quotes and basically referring to me as homosexual. Do I have the gist of it correct? I guess if it were someone worthwhile it might slightly bother me but when the source is considered it puts it all in perspective.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5457
Default Re: People Do Realize...

Quote:
Are you saying they do not feel they could win a starting job? Dre has proven nothing at this point. What if his knee flares up again? Is there a problem having three starting caliber corners? If he comes in and beats out one of the starters then did we not just improve at the position?
Yes...the problem with 3 starting CBs is that you are PAYING 3 starting CBs when we have so many other glaring needs at other positions. You can pay Pacman and Newman much less and I will take Pacman and Newman over any of the 3 starters you mentioned...they know the system, and had very good years last year .

So let's see...

Jones....16 games....5 games started...9 PD...1 sack...1 FF...32 tackles...5 assists...
punt returns- 26 for 301...1 TD...11.6 avg....2012 salary...950,000

Newman...15 games...15 games started...10 PD....2 Int....1 FF...2 FR....52 tackles...21 assists....2012 salary....825,000

Your guys....
Sean Smith...16 g...16 gs...12 PD...2 Int...3 FF...53 T....6 A...looking to get 6 years/ 43 millions
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=833...th-sean-smith-

Antoine Cason....16 g...16 gs...11 PD...2 Int...2 FF...62 T...11 A....
could not find any links of demands but saying he will ask too much for SD to retain him

Derek Cox...12 g....12 gs....11 PD....4 Int....1 FF....55 T...5 A
could not find any link with demands but saying the Jags may FT him for 10 mill per year

These are the 3 guys that are starters and that I agreed would be upgrades over Ghee, Lewis Harris, Allen and Prater but not Pacman or Newman...

I would be willing to bet that we could sign Pacman AND Newman for the half the price of one of these 3 guys...

So tell me again how signing any of these 3 would be a smart idea with all of our other needs....

please do not bring up age...that is the worst excuse in the world

I would sign one of these...Brian Urlacher....Connor Barwin.....Anthony Spencer..... before I would spend money on any of the CBs you mentioned...that is a need...burying our team with expensive players with average stats and number 2 credentials on their present teams would be insane...
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
We should have enough left over to make one or two big splashes in free agency and maybe a few smaller ones.

I don't think Dalton will command a big chunk of money, but we definitely need to throw a king's ransom at AJ.

I agree but i think people are expecting a little to much(just like every year) but this year they think it will happen due to us having the money and the salary floor. I'm just trying to tame expectations. And i think we can or will make decent splashes(bengals wise) but i dont see us signing a wallace.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: People Do Realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
Yes...the problem with 3 starting CBs is that you are PAYING 3 starting CBs when we have so many other glaring needs at other positions. You can pay Pacman and Newman much less and I will take Pacman and Newman over any of the 3 starters you mentioned...they know the system, and had very good years last year .

So let's see...

Jones....16 games....5 games started...9 PD...1 sack...1 FF...32 tackles...5 assists...
punt returns- 26 for 301...1 TD...11.6 avg....2012 salary...950,000

Newman...15 games...15 games started...10 PD....2 Int....1 FF...2 FR....52 tackles...21 assists....2012 salary....825,000

Your guys....
Sean Smith...16 g...16 gs...12 PD...2 Int...3 FF...53 T....6 A...looking to get 6 years/ 43 millions
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=833...th-sean-smith-

Antoine Cason....16 g...16 gs...11 PD...2 Int...2 FF...62 T...11 A....
could not find any links of demands but saying he will ask too much for SD to retain him

Derek Cox...12 g....12 gs....11 PD....4 Int....1 FF....55 T...5 A
could not find any link with demands but saying the Jags may FT him for 10 mill per year

These are the 3 guys that are starters and that I agreed would be upgrades over Ghee, Lewis Harris, Allen and Prater but not Pacman or Newman...

I would be willing to bet that we could sign Pacman AND Newman for the half the price of one of these 3 guys...

So tell me again how signing any of these 3 would be a smart idea with all of our other needs....

please do not bring up age...that is the worst excuse in the world

I would sign one of these...Brian Urlacher....Connor Barwin.....Anthony Spencer..... before I would spend money on any of the CBs you mentioned...that is a need...burying our team with expensive players with average stats and number 2 credentials on their present teams would be insane...
Sorry if you think the mentioned guys are not upgrades over Newman and Jones then not sure what to tell you. Do you really believe that stats tell an entire story?

Let me ask you this....Zimmer is known for CBs that man up and are physical in coverage correct? Why do you think it was that we saw such glaringly soft coverage from our CBs? Why is it do you think that we saw cushions that would allow you or I to make a reception? Why is it do you think that you did not see CBs redirecting WRs at the line of scrimmage?

Age is a very real factor within the NFL world and if you do not brought up it is because you cannot defense it. Why do you think Ray Lewis retired? Do you seriously want to try and state that age and not being able to compete at the level he is acustomed to did not factor into his decision? He knew he was having a hard time running in coverage and even lost considerable weight to try and counter this. That was not enough. Why? Because of age. Newman has lost a step like it or not. I like what he did for this franchise last season but to think it cannot be greatly improved upon is the definition of insanity.

I would love Jones back with this franchise but at a greatly decreased defensive presence and a much increased returning presence.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5795
Default Re: 55 million in cap space!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
Keep
DE Wallace Gilberry UFA
DE Michael Johnson UFA
Best of Luck:
DE Robert Geathers UFA

Also going to look at either moving Thompson or Still to be a run stuffing DE (unless we get one in the draft).
As per Hobson, I was right about one thing:

Johnson and Geathers would be active for games, along with Carlos Dunlap, and second-year man Devon Still can swing out to end on running downs.

Instead of Geathers, I would want Gilberry, he seems to have the knack of getting after the qb and in the event of an injury to either Dunlap or MJ he could fill in nicely and or just give them a breather now and then.

DE is not as big of a need as many think it is as long as we get 2 out of the 3 back (Gilberry, MJ, Geathers) and I know that we should easily get 2 of them back.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3231

Quote:
Why a Cb???

Leon Hall- signed
Jason Allen- signed
Brandon Ghee- signed
Dre kirkpatrick- signed
Adam Jones - resigned
Nate Clements - resigned

I would expect Leon Hall and Kirpatrick to start this year...unless Dre is hurt or a bust

I would expect to re sign Pacman and/or Newman back
I would say we don't need a CB, but if a talented youngster falls we can always cut a veteran or Ghee.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3231
bengals Re: 55 million in cap space!!!

Quote:
Keep
LS Clark Harris UFA
PK Josh Brown UFA
PK Mike Nugent UFA 2 kickers battle it out, winner gets an extension.
P Kevin Huber UFA
QB Bruce Gradkowski UFA
OT Andre Smith UFA
RB Cedric Peerman RFA
WR Andrew Hawkins ERFA
DT Geno Atkins
DE Wallace Gilberry UFA
DE Michael Johnson UFA
LB Dan Skuta UFA
CB Adam Jones UFA
DE Robert Geathers UFA
LB Thomas Howard UFA
LB Manny Lawson UFA
LB Rey Maualuga UFA
CB Nate Clements UFA

FA Signings:
FB Jerome Felton - Minn
LB Philip Wheeler - Oak
S Louis Delmas - Det

Best of Luck:
OT Dennis Roland UFA
RB Brian Leonard UFA
RB Bernard Scott UFA
WR Brandon Tate UFA
TE Richard Quinn UFA
DL Pat Sims UFA
FS Chris Crocker UFA
CB Terrance Neuman UFA
SS Jeromy Miles RFA
LB Vincent Rey RFA

When it comes to the draft:
I'm going with BPA and hoping to get a good match at these positions: WR, RB, DE, LB, OT
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Sorry if you think the mentioned guys are not upgrades over Newman and Jones then not sure what to tell you. Do you really believe that stats tell an entire story?

Let me ask you this....Zimmer is known for CBs that man up and are physical in coverage correct? Why do you think it was that we saw such glaringly soft coverage from our CBs? Why is it do you think that we saw cushions that would allow you or I to make a reception? Why is it do you think that you did not see CBs redirecting WRs at the line of scrimmage?

Age is a very real factor within the NFL world and if you do not brought up it is because you cannot defense it. Why do you think Ray Lewis retired? Do you seriously want to try and state that age and not being able to compete at the level he is acustomed to did not factor into his decision? He knew he was having a hard time running in coverage and even lost considerable weight to try and counter this. That was not enough. Why? Because of age. Newman has lost a step like it or not. I like what he did for this franchise last season but to think it cannot be greatly improved upon is the definition of insanity.

I would love Jones back with this franchise but at a greatly decreased defensive presence and a much increased returning presence.
You still do not get it....take all other factors out of the equation...none of your guys...no Pacman...no Newman....

We have 2 starters...Leon Hall and Dre Kirkpatrick...Dre...as long as he is healthy and does not die..is going to get to start whether you like it or not...he is 1st round draft pick....HE IS GOING TO START OR AT LEAST GET EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO

I am not saying it would not be an improvement but to pay the money with the following needs

possibly RT
possibly DE
2 LBers
Safety
WR 2
RB

Why would you pay 7- 9 million for a CB when we may only spend about 30 million total in Free Agency?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Default Re: 55 million in cap space!!!

Quote:
Keep
LS Clark Harris UFA
PK Josh Brown UFA
PK Mike Nugent UFA 2 kickers battle it out, winner gets an extension.
P Kevin Huber UFA
QB Bruce Gradkowski UFA
OT Andre Smith UFA
RB Cedric Peerman RFA
WR Andrew Hawkins ERFA
DT Geno Atkins
DE Wallace Gilberry UFA
DE Michael Johnson UFA
LB Vincent Rey RFA
LB Dan Skuta UFA
CB Adam Jones UFA
CB Terrance Neuman UFA
SS Jeromy Miles RFA

FA Signings:
FB Greg Jones Jax
SS William Moore Atl
SLB Phillip Wheeler Oak

Best of Luck:
OT Dennis Roland UFA
RB Brian Leonard UFA
RB Bernard Scott UFA
WR Brandon Tate UFA
TE Richard Quinn UFA
DL Pat Sims UFA
DE Robert Geathers UFA
LB Thomas Howard UFA
LB Manny Lawson UFA
LB Rey Maualuga UFA
CB Nate Clements UFA
FS Chris Crocker UFA

On the fence if we need some more cash.
CB Jason Allen

Also going to look at either moving Thompson or Still to be a run stuffing DE (unless we get one in the draft).

When it comes to the draft:
I'm going with BPA and hoping to get a good match at these positions: WR, RB, DE, LB, OT
Not bad....all depends on what they spend in FA...could spend as little as 32 mil and as much as 55 mil
Not going to sign 2 kickers...they will make a choice...pay them...and go from there
Have to sign Sims...bigger need than you think

3 big contracts...Andre (5-6 m)...MJ (7-8 M)...extend Geno (7-8) mil....19 million right there

all your other players 20 or so at league minimum (around 700k) will be another 14 million...that is at league minimum

there is 33 million spent already...not all these players are going to get league min if we want them
Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You still do not get it....take all other factors out of the equation...none of your guys...no Pacman...no Newman....

We have 2 starters...Leon Hall and Dre Kirkpatrick...Dre...as long as he is healthy and does not die..is going to get to start whether you like it or not...he is 1st round draft pick....HE IS GOING TO START OR AT LEAST GET EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO

I am not saying it would not be an improvement but to pay the money with the following needs

possibly RT
possibly DE
2 LBers
Safety
WR 2
RB

Why would you pay 7- 9 million for a CB when we may only spend about 30 million total in Free Agency?
You over emphasizing needs IMO. Andre, MJ, Gilberry, Geathers(at a reduced rate), and Howard I see all returning.

WR2 - sorry but I believe that guy is on the roster. Sanu will be the #2 and he will move inside to the slot on three receiver sets just as TJ used to do.

RB - should be and will be addressed in the draft.

Now why would I pay that much? What happens if the knee of Dre flairs up or Leon goes down again? Maybe you sort of like the soft coverage we had to play with Newman. I do not. I prefer not to see 7 yards of cushion being given up by CBs to make sure plays stay infront of them. It is amazing that you can see a problem with three starting caliber CBs.

Last edited by OSUfan; 02-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
You over emphasizing needs IMO. Andre, MJ, Gilberry, Geathers(at a reduced rate), and Howard I see all returning.

WR2 - sorry but I believe that guy is on the roster. Sanu will be the #2 and he will move inside to the slot on three receiver sets just as TJ used to do.

RB - should be and will be addressed in the draft.

Now why would I pay that much? What happens if the knee of Dre flairs up or Leon goes down again? Maybe you sort of like the soft coverage we had to play with Newman. I do not. I prefer not to see 7 yards of cushion being given up by CBs to make sure plays stay infront of them. It is amazing that you can see a problem with three starting caliber CBs.
Andre was one of the best RT in football last year and was screwed out of big money in his rookie contract because of himself being hurt...he lost millions...his agent will be looking for a BIG pay day...

MJ ...I see staying but if the Bengals offer him 5 or 6 mill and some other team offers 9 he is gone...guaranteed

WR 2...I like Sanu and believe he will be our 2 receiver but what if his injury flares up again? Just using the same excuse you did for Dre.

RB...name the last RB drafted by the Bengals that was worth a damn...I will.. Rudi Johnson and he has been gone for many years and was just decent because of a great OL

Geathers, Howard, Gilberry....I will take Gilberry over Geathers and Howard as a back up coming off a torn ACL (what if his injury flares up again?)

that excuse is starting get old huh?

I have not looked...and there may be...tell me another team that has a #1 CB (Leon)...a 2nd year 1st round draft pick (Dre) and a FA signee that is going to get #1 money (one of your guys) at the CB position

Here is another example...not sure of the years but basically we had Torey James and Joseph and then we drafted Hall the next year...Joseph hurts his foot and is put on IR...coming into the next season did we go out and sign another number 1 CB because Joseph "might" not come back? No..we counted on our 1st round pick from the previous year (Hall) and Joseph to be back and healthy and start...everyone questioned Joseph's durabiity...saying he was a bust ...blah blah blah....not a perfect example but just an example of not throwing money at a position that you know you have covered or at least should be covered according to the personnel that is on your roster....

we have one starting caliber LBer on our roster (Burfict)...
we have one starting caliber Safety on our roster (Nelson)...
we have no starting caliber RT on our roster if Andre leaves
we have one starting caliber DE if we do not sign MJ (Dunlap)

you said that Dre is an unproven commodity
Sanu is unproven at WR 2 just as much as Dre is at CB
Any drafted player will be an unproven commodity

Also...I may be wrong here but from my understanding...Zimmer's defense is based on the following...corners play man to man but not bump and run...he depends on the corners to not get beat down field but cover everything in front of them in hopes the pressure from the DL can get there first causing the QB to hurry his pass or make an errant throw...this also allows the safety to play the middle of the field in coverage....again I am no defensive guru but even when Hall and Joseph were here I rarely remember any jamming at the line or bump and run type of play...again I may be wrong but I am pretty sure of my memory
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Andre was one of the best RT in football last year and was screwed out of big money in his rookie contract because of himself being hurt...he lost millions...his agent will be looking for a BIG pay day...

MJ ...I see staying but if the Bengals offer him 5 or 6 mill and some other team offers 9 he is gone...guaranteed

WR 2...I like Sanu and believe he will be our 2 receiver but what if his injury flares up again? Just using the same excuse you did for Dre.

RB...name the last RB drafted by the Bengals that was worth a damn...I will.. Rudi Johnson and he has been gone for many years and was just decent because of a great OL

Geathers, Howard, Gilberry....I will take Gilberry over Geathers and Howard as a back up coming off a torn ACL (what if his injury flares up again?)

that excuse is starting get old huh?

I have not looked...and there may be...tell me another team that has a #1 CB (Leon)...a 2nd year 1st round draft pick (Dre) and a FA signee that is going to get #1 money (one of your guys) at the CB position

Here is another example...not sure of the years but basically we had Torey James and Joseph and then we drafted Hall the next year...Joseph hurts his foot and is put on IR...coming into the next season did we go out and sign another number 1 CB because Joseph "might" not come back? No..we counted on our 1st round pick from the previous year (Hall) and Joseph to be back and healthy and start...everyone questioned Joseph's durabiity...saying he was a bust ...blah blah blah....not a perfect example but just an example of not throwing money at a position that you know you have covered or at least should be covered according to the personnel that is on your roster....

we have one starting caliber LBer on our roster (Burfict)...
we have one starting caliber Safety on our roster (Nelson)...
we have no starting caliber RT on our roster if Andre leaves
we have one starting caliber DE if we do not sign MJ (Dunlap)

you said that Dre is an unproven commodity
Sanu is unproven at WR 2 just as much as Dre is at CB
Any drafted player will be an unproven commodity

Also...I may be wrong here but from my understanding...Zimmer's defense is based on the following...corners play man to man but not bump and run...he depends on the corners to not get beat down field but cover everything in front of them in hopes the pressure from the DL can get there first causing the QB to hurry his pass or make an errant throw...this also allows the safety to play the middle of the field in coverage....again I am no defensive guru but even when Hall and Joseph were here I rarely remember any jamming at the line or bump and run type of play...again I may be wrong but I am pretty sure of my memory
You may want to check the nature of the issue Dre has been having. Oh that is right they got it corrected right away didn't they? Oh wait no they thought it was corrected then it flared up again and they got it corrected. Oh no they thought it was corrected then it flared up yet again putting him on IR.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
You may want to check the nature of the issue Dre has been having. Oh that is right they got it corrected right away didn't they? Oh wait no they thought it was corrected then it flared up again and they got it corrected. Oh no they thought it was corrected then it flared up yet again putting him on IR.
So be it...maybe he never plays.. I saw you mentioned taking a CB in the first round if that is BPA at that point...now you are using your noggin...I have no problem with that...you know why??...because that player is not going to eat up cap space needed in other spots....