Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16804
bengals Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmp2 View Post
The difference for me is why the Bengals need to make a big splash in FA. They don't. Even if a guy like Byrd isn't re-signed/tagged by the Bills, is he a better fit than Matt Elam or Bacarri Rambo given the Bengals' need at SS? Why spend 8 million a year on a FS when you could get a betterr fit at SS in the 2nd-3rd Rd.? Is a 28 year old Reggie Bush a better fit at RB than Mike Gillsilee, Jonathan Franklin, Jawan Jamison or Andre Ellington in the 3rd-4th Rd.? Less hits and fresh legs make more sense to me.
If it was so easy then why haven't we drafted a decent RB since Rudi Johnson? That's been 10 years! Why do we keep having to plug in a turd like Chris Crocker? The safety position continues to be a problem. Why?

Even if we do get an ok back in, say, the 3rd will he be as good as a veteran like Bush would be this year? Cuz I kinda want to win NOW.

And you can do both. (Sign a FA and draft). It's ok to actually have depth. Not to mention it gives you more flexibility in the draft. A "must have" turns into a best value, best fit.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Ehhhhh, I just don't know. I think Sanu looked pretty good before he got hurt, but I'm not 100% sold I guess. I really don't want to see the same approach that was taken last season with Binns and Tate. The staff evaluated their talent levels incorrectly seeing that they had them starting at the beginning of the year.
I understand your hesitance but I think we flat out have a football player in Sanu. I was high on Binns in the preseason and he started out pretty good.....not totally sure what happened there. It seems like after that big hit that took him out of a game that he never recovered. However, he seemed to be looking a little bit better for Miami at the end of the season.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I remember that, but I also remember:

The Saints picking up Drew Brees and winning a Super Bowl
The Packers picking up Reggie White and winning a Super Bowl
The Packers picking up Charles Woodson and winning a Super Bowl
The Giants picking up a number of guys (Antrelle Rolle, Michael Boley, Chris Canty) and winning a Super Bowl
The Steelers picking up James Farrior and winning a Super Bowl

You don't have to go hog wild, but it doesn't hurt to bring in a high priced guy at a position of need to put your team over the top.
Look how far back you had to go to get good examples. Reggie White and Charles Woodson.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2791
Default Re: Well, if Hobson is right it's same old Bungles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
They don't HAVE to spend anything.

And if you wan to know where they are going to spend it. That's simple. Andre Smith, Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Thomas Howard, etc.

And the only reason they have money to spend is because they have so many damn expiring contracts and fewer players under contract than other teams. When you have to sign so many players just to fill out your roster, you can't really break the bank on a couple guys.

They'll add a couple veteran guys on defense like they usually do. Maybe a safety or linebacker. Then they'll add some offensive weapons in the draft. But they're not going to spend big bucks on an aging wide receiver like Greg Jennings when they can get someone younger and just as talented in the draft at a fraction of the price.
Actually no, they do HAVE to reach the floor or they get fined. As you stated (as did Hobson) we get the generall idea that they'll go after their own (MJ, Geno, Dunlap, yada yada). 3/4 of the mocks here are based off of them doing this, its a given that we know this information. My point was that I wasn't a big fan of the article because it didn't state anything we didn't already know. There wasn't even a tidbit of a Bengal current FA that may sign elsewhere or say a FA backup RB with ties to Cincy for instance. The article was a waste of time, we know they are going to start from within, Hobson gave us nothing.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
The Cincinnati Bengals - "Learning how to walk again since 1991"

How about a playoff win? One after 352 games/22 NFL seasons asking for too much?
20 year + ......seriously move on. Lewis has been allowed the freedom(at least it appears) he has desired for basically 2 seasons now.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9137

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Look how far back you had to go to get good examples. Reggie White and Charles Woodson.
I don't know .... Baltimore just won a Superbowl with Anquan Boldin, Vonta Leach and Jacoby Jones, so we don't have to go back more than a couple weeks to see a team benefit tremendously from free agent signings designed to address specific shortcomings on the roster. Jones was an unproven commodity, but Boldin and Leach were both established Pro Bowlers when signed.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11051

Quote:
I understand your hesitance but I think we flat out have a football player in Sanu. I was high on Binns in the preseason and he started out pretty good.....not totally sure what happened there. It seems like after that big hit that took him out of a game that he never recovered. However, he seemed to be looking a little bit better for Miami at the end of the season.
Sanu reminds me a lot of Boldin.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47375

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Sanu reminds me a lot of Boldin.

Possible, his frame has room to grow. I like that he can stay fluid through catching a pass and powering on, seamlessly.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4890

Quote:
You mean same old Bengals that have accounted for playoffs 3 of 4 seasons and back to back playoffs? The same old Bengals that were arguably only an injury to a young receiver of a playoff win. The same old strategy that accounted for a guy like Wallace Gilberry? The same old Bengals that have accounted for one of the youngest and most solid core groups in the league?

Terrible for sure.
Folks, here is the meaning of MEDIOCRITY at its finest!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16804

Quote:
20 year + ......seriously move on.
Um, kinda hard to move on when the streak is still active. It's not like it ended five, ten years ago. It's still going on, so there's nothing to move on to.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14134

Quote:
Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks, and Carlos Rodgers with the 49er's...

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 39239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Dayton View Post
Anquan Boldin
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-ffc98164c7b1

Basically the usual claptrap about not being players in Free Agency (despite having the most cap room by far in the league). He also doesn't even get the need positions correct.

If this is true we can forget about improvements on the team - it sounds like the front office is still going to do their reactive, WAY too cautious approach to the offseason.
I 100% agree. There are players out there that would help. And how can it be a money issue - we've got more to spend than anyone. I'd rather have proven performers - example Bush and Gholston - than draft choices who may or may not make it. Are they just low keying other teams or are they not going to do diddly in free agency. Gosh, on one hand they talk about all their youth and learning curves, and then they appear just to ignore the next.

Too, I am NOT ready to resign Dalton as Hobson notes.... especially if he performs as he did the last 4 games. And I wouldn't think any other Bengal fan wants this either. He MUST show he can deal with pressure in his face before he warrants resigning. Checkdowns to his #2 and #3 receivers before he succumbs to the sack is an absolute MUST. Whether Marvin/Gruden wants to publically admit or not, teams have figured out Dalton's weakness. Probably correctable but show me before any resigning.

4th and 5th Round QBs? Haven't we done enough over the years to realize it is a waste? I'd much rather have a seasoned vet as a backup QB than Bramlett, Rowe, and all the other 4th rounders that have come through here.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1082

Quote:
Don't forget Donte "Who Dey...never mind" Whitner
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you suffering from memory loss when it comes to Justin Smith? If you take a trip down memory lane you will find his success with San Fran was not immediate. They brought him in as a 3-4 LB and it really did not work out. His success came after they fattened him up and moved him to the dline.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM TROY View Post
Folks, here is the meaning of MEDIOCRITY at its finest!!!
Gee how original. How many nights did you lay awake conjuring this gem?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23292

Bengals need to use free agency to find a starting caliber player in a position of need, as they did last season at CB. It will give them more freedom in the draft.

Past that, get some quality depth going in questionable positions, like S, LB, HB...

Free agency is not the answer for a team's woes, Redskins, but it is part of the solution, Ravens and 49ers.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
OK, sure. Last year I ranted and raved about how we needed to sign a veteran WR to line up opposite AJ. But, I guess I know little about football considering the guy we tabbed to fill that role was cut 2/3 of the way into the season despite being completely healthy and having no disciplinary problems at all. Most fans also wanted a vet safety, but again, I guess we were all terrible GMs as evidenced by the fact that Myles and Mays were riding the pine after a few weeks and we had to sign Crocker off the street to save the D.
Nice try Leeroy. Sanu actually was working out before he got injured. And they had no intention of getting rid of "whatshisface" and planned to put him back on the practice squad, but he didn;t clear wavers and someone else picked him up.

Keep those blinders on if it makes life easier.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
I don't know .... Baltimore just won a Superbowl with Anquan Boldin, Vonta Leach and Jacoby Jones, so we don't have to go back more than a couple weeks to see a team benefit tremendously from free agent signings designed to address specific shortcomings on the roster. Jones was an unproven commodity, but Boldin and Leach were both established Pro Bowlers when signed.
Aside from the fact that Anquan Boldin was the only high priced FA in those three. Nice Leach was a Pro Bowler, yes, but it wasn't like he was expsneive. Just high priced for his position.

-Stewwy
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

*wonders why he even posts in these threads* Seriously....

-Stewwy
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

So the Bengals top priority is the guy some are saying is the #1 free agent (MJ)?

What is everyone's problem?

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
So the Bengals top priority is the guy some are saying is the #1 free agent (MJ)?

What is everyone's problem?

-Stewwy
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11051

We should extend Jason Allen. Dude was a beast for us last year. You can't go wrong with quality pick-ups like that.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

Quote:
I really didn't have to go that far back. I was just putting out names that most people would consider "big signings"

Every year the Super Bowl winner has a free agent or trade acquisition that has a major impact on the team. Just look at the Ravens:

Anquan Boldin
Bernard Pollard
Matt Birk

Sure you have to draft well, but without those 3 guys, I doubt the Ravens would have won the Super Bowl this year.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
1991? Lewis hasn't been here since 1991. We have players on this team who were born in 19991. Whatever happened in the past is done you need to move on and look at the present and future.
1991 is the year Mike Brown began his dismantling job from which we have yet to recover from.

The past will be done when Schleprock is removed from the equation.