Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250
bengals Ideas to improve the Safety position

We were beginning to talk about this in the Xavier Rhodes thread, but I wanted to focus the conversation on this idea:

What do you think of moving Dre Kirkpatrick to the S position (assuming that we grab a good CB in the draft to take his place at that position), or

Moving one of the CB prospects in this draft to S?

I just want to know what your thoughts are on this idea.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49775
Default Re: Ideas to improve the Safety position

I have no problem with that idea. For a couple years now, I've thought that Brandon Ghee should have been transitioned to S. If the guy can stay healthy, he's a good tackler/hitter.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1588

Maybe Kirk, although I would prefer him staying at CB. But a huge NO to drafting a CB to convert to S. We need to stop drafting players to convert them. Want a safety? Draft a safety.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Just stop it!

You don't waste a top notch corner, someone who plays a premium position like that, by moving him to safety. That's just stupid.

It's hard enough just to find one good corner like Kirkpatrick. We need him at corner much more than we need him at safety.

If you want a safety, go get a safety.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11329

Only player I would be alright with moving from CB to S in the draft would be David Amerson.

However, the Bengals don't have that good of a record when playing players in different positions

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22463

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Only player I would be alright with moving from CB to S in the draft would be David Amerson.

However, the Bengals don't have that good of a record when playing players in different positions
When I saw Amerson play, the way he's all over the place, I thought he was a S. Was kinda surprised to see him listed as a CB.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025

How about we just draft one high? That takes away from moving a player and making him another "project." The only way to improve the position is to address it via Free Agency or Draft. No more of these stupid *** "projects" or 4th, 5th, 6th round selections. Improve it by getting the best Safety in the draft - Vacarro / Elam

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43906

Charlie Campbell's Mock currently has us taking Jamar Taylor. He is a Corner at BSU that some suggest will convert to safety. CBS compares his skillset to Rhonde Barber. He definately has the build to play in the box:

Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24314

I don't like moving anyone to safety, except a CB who is not fast enough to play CB anymore. I say anymore, since I do not want a CB drafted and then converted.

Take Hall for example. He's a good, solid tackler, and doesn't have good speed. IN a few seasons, when his "speed" starts to fade, he will make an excellent FS. I do not like moving Kirkpatrick to S, since he was drafted as physical CB, and will benefit the defense as such.

If the team needs a safety, just draft a safety, as others have said.

Another idea would be utilizing a fast, undersized LB in the safety spot, like if Moch dropped 20 pounds. Not saying it should happen, but is an idea with the glut of undersized, fast linebackers in this year's draft. Plus Zimmer is always looking for the next Roy Williams, big, fast, hits hard. Sounds more like a slimmed down LB than a bulked up CB.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2880

No, the staff drafted him to play corner..they'll keep him there unless he proves he can't hang. If they take another corner, its to build even more depth and allow them to use Hall on good TE's.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3321

Why do we have stupid people on this forum. He's a CB, we drafted him as a CB. He's YOUNG! If we want a safety DRAFT ONE! This isn't lets experiment for poop and giggles.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
Why do we have stupid people on this forum. He's a CB, we drafted him as a CB. He's YOUNG! If we want a safety DRAFT ONE! This isn't lets experiment for poop and giggles.
Oh NOOOOO...do not let OSUFAN see this...he wants to sign one of the top 3 FA CBs in case Dre's knee flares up again...we have been arguing for days over what a waste of money that would be in the FA Forum
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 164

David Amerson, Jamar Taylor, and if Sanders Cummings is really 6'2 he might be an option. I just don't know what his true height is. But the key I think is having that "versatile" S. Some talk about moving certain LB's to safety, idk. These are interesting ideas b/c the game is slightly changing on the offensive side.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6784

The best idea to improve the safety position is to draft the best safety in the draft in the first round. I don't like the idea of converting a guy when we are trying to make the playoffs. If you want to draft a conversion project, great. But don't expect that guy to step in and play right away. Develop him properly
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
I don't like moving anyone to safety, except a CB who is not fast enough to play CB anymore. I say anymore, since I do not want a CB drafted and then converted.

Take Hall for example. He's a good, solid tackler, and doesn't have good speed. IN a few seasons, when his "speed" starts to fade, he will make an excellent FS. I do not like moving Kirkpatrick to S, since he was drafted as physical CB, and will benefit the defense as such.

If the team needs a safety, just draft a safety, as others have said.

Another idea would be utilizing a fast, undersized LB in the safety spot, like if Moch dropped 20 pounds. Not saying it should happen, but is an idea with the glut of undersized, fast linebackers in this year's draft. Plus Zimmer is always looking for the next Roy Williams, big, fast, hits hard. Sounds more like a slimmed down LB than a bulked up CB.
If a good CB fell to us at 21, I would look to switching Hall to Safety.
Zimmer likes Big Safties, but he also uses Safties that can switch back and forth.

Hall would be a good fit, and we would have good coverage at CB and Safety.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president