Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588
Default Re: Talk beginning to churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
The front office needs to start front loading these contracts to avoid future cap issues. It's not that hard to accomplish,
This might be the smartest thing I have heard all day.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30301

Quote:
When you have $55 million in cap space you can do a creative contract that will not give a guy a huge cap number in future years. That would allow us to sign a guy for decent money and retain our guys.

I'm not saying that Wallace is the guy we should sign, but to say that you are going to burn 20% of the cap on 2 WR shouldn't be accurate. The front office needs to start front loading these contracts to avoid future cap issues. It's not that hard to accomplish,
I like where are situation is at right now compared to some other teams.. Would rather have discussions on who we can sign than who is a cap causalty.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73249

We have a QB who struggles with the deep ball, and that's most of what Wallace does. Why would we want him?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
We have a QB who struggles with the deep ball, and that's most of what Wallace does. Why would we want him?
Daltons Deep ball will improve and improve. He has the strenght just needs the accuracy touch... (and several of his errant throws deep were do to not being able to step into the throw because of a bad pocket)

Having Wallace working the Middle to Deep routes opens AJ up a little. Also you dont have to wait till hes 20 or more yard down the field to get the ball to him.

Either way... Wallace on one side and Green on the other should open up the Run game and the TE passing game.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 412

Wallace would be the new Chris Henry (On the field, not off) the Z guy that is primarily put on the field to go deep. While this would be nice, we don't have a strong armed QB like Palmer to hit him on 70 bombs. What we really really need is a Tj "Whos Ya Momma" to play next to Aj not a Wallace. Sanu I think fits that bill more than Jones. Jones will be our new Henry and Sanu will be Tj. The starting 3 WR should be AJ, Sanu, Jones.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1718

Why spend $10 mil. on Wallace this year?
We need to conserve some of that money for Geno,Andy, and A.J. next year.

What we need to get is some help on the OL. So our QB doesn't get get sacked 45 times. Andy can't pass to that $10mil. WR if he is on his back.

Get help for the OL. Add a speedy RB. Get help for the LB and at the Saftey position. Then I think we will be good.
I think most if not all of this can be done through the draft this year.
Just my opinon. I wil now step off the box. LOL
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtomstud84 View Post
Wallace would be the new Chris Henry (On the field, not off) the Z guy that is primarily put on the field to go deep. While this would be nice, we don't have a strong armed QB like Palmer to hit him on 70 bombs. What we really really need is a Tj "Whos Ya Momma" to play next to Aj not a Wallace. Sanu I think fits that bill more than Jones. Jones will be our new Henry and Sanu will be Tj. The starting 3 WR should be AJ, Sanu, Jones.
Mr Danny Amendola would fit nicely....actually watched a few rams games this year and was impressed with how hard he plays.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3374

AJ Green + Mike Wallace = yes from me!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2548

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
The deepball is part of the game, no matter if Dalton currently struggles with it or not they have to be able to stretch the field. You would think that a WR that gets more separation than most would do nothing but help improve the chances of Andy completing one deep. Remember Wallace is also a YAC threat as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 385

I'd be absolutely geeked if this happened. I, however, don't want to get my hopes up.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 277

I tend to think we are going to roll with Sanu and Marvin Jones...If we do get a free agent WR, i'd much rather have Anquan Boldin than Mike Wallace.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476
bengals Re: Talk beginning to churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
It's extremely doubtful that the Steelers really feel that Brown and Sanders are better than Wallace.

The 5 yr 42.5 million dollar contract they gave Brown was first offered to Wallace. Sanders isn't even in the same stratosphere.
Where did I use the term better? I did not that was your words. I said complete. As in more diverse can do more things. Not just 9 route runners. Not too good to do the dirty work. Remember that guy named Hines Ward?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDey8509 View Post
Mr Danny Amendola would fit nicely....actually watched a few rams games this year and was impressed with how hard he plays.
I completely agree. Guy had good numbers and not too many other people to throw to over there. Defenses would have to key on this guy in the passing game and he still got open most of the time. Someone to just get open consistantly is exactly what we need opposite A.J.

His last injury that took him out for awhile was kind of a freak injury. Not too concerned about his health. Lot cheaper than Wallace most likely. His game attitude reminds me a lot of Leonard.

This would address the position for a fair price and allow Sanu and Jones at least another year or two to develop more. Definitely wouldn't turn down Wallace but I think Amendola would be the better option with his price and play style.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1740

as much as I'd like to see Mike Wallace as our #2 I don't think it would be smart.

Yes we have a ton of cap but we also have FA's we wanna resign, not to mention
2-3 huge deals looming in the future in Atkins, Green, Dalton, etc.

Idk about ya'll but Id like to make sure we have enough $$ in the future
for Atkins/Green, which combined could possibly take half that cap space...

I wouldn't mind taking the WR from Tenn. if he is available. That could be
potentially a better combination. I hate the word potential but nothing is
guaranteed, not even Wallace being great here.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14834

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoosierDey06 View Post

I wouldn't mind taking the WR from Tenn. if he is available. That could be
potentially a better combination. I hate the word potential but nothing is
guaranteed, not even Wallace being great here.
Nate Washington? I'd be ok with that.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLuSi0nz View Post
I completely agree. Guy had good numbers and not too many other people to throw to over there. Defenses would have to key on this guy in the passing game and he still got open most of the time. Someone to just get open consistantly is exactly what we need opposite A.J.

His last injury that took him out for awhile was kind of a freak injury. Not too concerned about his health. Lot cheaper than Wallace most likely. His game attitude reminds me a lot of Leonard.

This would address the position for a fair price and allow Sanu and Jones at least another year or two to develop more. Definitely wouldn't turn down Wallace but I think Amendola would be the better option with his price and play style.
Is he a Free agent or signed still with the rams?

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Nate Washington? I'd be ok with that.
I was referencing Patterson in the draft but I wouldn't be opposed to Nate Washington
either. My friend is a big Titans fan so i've had to watch a few of their games.
Washington is definitely a hard worker on the field and has been very reliable and
stepped up when Britt f's up.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
I like where are situation is at right now compared to some other teams.. Would rather have discussions on who we can sign than who is a cap causalty.
Completely agree. At least we can fantasize about possibilites, rather than fear cutting a needed member of the team. Some teams are in HUGE trouble, made even worse by the fact that their entire ROSTER is garbage. I cannot think of said teams off the top of my head, but they are there.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Is he a Free agent or signed still with the rams?
He will be a free agent. I hear that the Rams want to hang on to him. They also claimed Titus Young off waviers. More weapons to go with Amendola or his replacement? Will be interesting to see what he is offered by St. Louis.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1575

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Gotta be honest.

A speedster with bad hands isn't ideal for a QB like Andy Dalton.

Not only will Dalton not be able to consistently throw the 9 route in front of him, but when he does, Wallace has like a 50% chance of dropping it.

Not interested.
Smartest thing anyone has said in the thread and no one responded to it. I agree with all of it.

The only thing Wallace has going for him is the fade/streak. We watched him drop huge passed against us last year, one in the end zone. He has questionable hands and is a poor route runner. Could he shine with AJ opposite of him, sure. But I would think that much money could be spent else where with a WR with average all around skill sets.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Bell Fever View Post
It's not just Mike Brown, I also wouldn't pay that much for him. He isn't elite, he's good, but not worth the elite money he wants. He's more of a 5-7 million a year, not 10-11 mill a year, which he feels he is worth.

I'd be all about it if we could get him for a reasonable pricetag.
Its funny before his holdout wallace was one of the ELITE receivers in the NFL and now post hold out he isnt worth it?

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Guy View Post
Why spend $10 mil. on Wallace this year?
We need to conserve some of that money for Geno,Andy, and A.J. next year.

What we need to get is some help on the OL. So our QB doesn't get get sacked 45 times. Andy can't pass to that $10mil. WR if he is on his back.

Get help for the OL. Add a speedy RB. Get help for the LB and at the Saftey position. Then I think we will be good.
I think most if not all of this can be done through the draft this year.
Just my opinon. I wil now step off the box. LOL
This is typical Mike Brown thinking. Let's save money to sign guys next year. If you have that approach, you will never get over the hump.

Anybody that gets signed this year needs to be given a front-loaded cap friendly contract. Then the cap number for a free agent might only be $5 million per in the future years. You should be able to do that with $55 million in cap space.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
This is typical Mike Brown thinking. Let's save money to sign guys next year. If you have that approach, you will never get over the hump.

Anybody that gets signed this year needs to be given a front-loaded cap friendly contract. Then the cap number for a free agent might only be $5 million per in the future years. You should be able to do that with $55 million in cap space.
Yeah but when you do that... They take the front loaded money and then ***** when the low pay years come around.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
Its funny before his holdout wallace was one of the ELITE receivers in the NFL and now post hold out he isnt worth it?
Still a great talent at catching and running... Most of his big plays come from broken plays where ben hangs onto the ball and dances around.

Not sure of his route running... Hes a speedster but not worth Fitz/Johnson money.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 616
bengals Why it would be wise to go After Mike Wallace

Because its the biggest Need to me For THIS football Team. This would turn a weakness into a strength, and weaken a division foe in the process. He's produced as a number one Just imagine How productive he could be across from Green and vice versa? We can cut Brandon Tate and whalen and draft a wide reciever in the late rounds. This would also let us focus on safety rb and linebacker With First and second round selections, and would could still extend our own. So a five year deal for Wallace is something the club should Think long and hard about