Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Do you think Andy Dalton is a Championship caliber QB?
Yes 149 68.98%
No 67 31.02%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8617
bengals Re: Do you really have faith that Dalton is the QB that leads us to a championship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
There should also have been a veteran TE with good hands brought on - again something in their budgetary wheelhouse. That way Gresham could have gotten the benching his constant drops, fumbles and penalties merited.
There was a veteran TE.. Donald Lee, but he went down in the preseason, and they just didn't replace him with another veteran... constant fumbles, eh? Gresham had 2 fumbles, 1 lost on the entire season, which is the exact same amount as AJ Green... so did AJ Green have constant fumbling problems too? I'm sorry, but everytime I see someone refer to Greshams "fumbling problems", it cracks me up.. the guy's never had more than 2 fumbles in a year, and never more than 1 lost fumble in a year.

Also, about his penalties, half of that is on the Bengals coaching staff. He's not a very good blocking TE. We all know that, nobody has ever tried to say otherwise, I don't believe. So why is it they keep asking him to block? And not just block, but block team's leading passrusher 1-on-1 at times? Off the top of my head I can remember him being assigned to block Justin Tuck as well as Cameron Wake 1-on-1.. he got a holding penalty. Which isn't surprising. That's the coaches putting a player in a position to fail rather than them putting a player in a position to succeed.

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5628
Default Re: Do you really have faith that Dalton is the QB that leads us to a championship?

Yes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804
Default Re: Do you really have faith that Dalton is the QB that leads us to a championship?

It looks as though when Andy can find and get the ball close to the receivers and Gresham, they make the catch more often than most receiving groups in the NFL.
While being near the top ten in pass attempts, only Flacco and Rivers had less catchable balls dropped.
I guess the too many drops excuse is out the window..interesting.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...sses-per-qb/2/
Who wouldn't want this receiving group?

Last edited by finso; 02-08-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33717

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
It looks as though when Andy can find and get the ball close to the receivers and Gresham, they make the catch more often than most receiving groups in the NFL.
While being near the top ten in pass attempts, only Flacco and Rivers had less catchable balls dropped.
That article was written on 11/21, well before Dalton's 5 game skid where receivers were dropping balls like they had oil on them.

8 drops against the Cowboys, then 6 more against the Eagles. Then at least 3 against the Steelers.

I wonder how that would've affected the percentage?

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
That article is a month before the season ended...shows Flacco with 344 att when he finished the season with 531 att...also...Rice and Leach had 82 receptions compared to 33 to BJGE and Leonard...just sayin...much easier completions to RBs

And who sits and watches every game and determines whether a catch was catchable or not?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb...rank=232&year=

AJ was in top 10 in dropped passes...Gresham had 6...click on AFC and Gresham is on list

Surprising...Graham and Megatron 1 and 3 but targeted a ton.....
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2244

I have plenty of faith in Dalton As do I with blue collar QBS Brees Brady ect. I love how his stats did improve since his first year. People he needs a better Middle line running back and a solid #2 Wr. Add those that's a recipe for a scary offense! I will say yes he needs to not rush his deep passes so much that is why he had a lot of them are over thrown Balls which to me indicates he has a stronger arm than the last year where he under threw a lot.

You can not judge a QB in his first 2 years if you do then your not smart period! usually you can tell from 3-5 what exactly you got!

Last edited by havean; 02-08-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7694

I did not say "constant fumbles". I listed fumbles along with the constant drops (which there were) and the penalties. Also the wrong routes run and other foolishness. Gresham richly deserves to be ripped - a TE in the passing game needs to be technically super sound and he is not.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2825

Totally. The man steadily improved statistically without a consistent (healthy) #2 option, above average offensive line play and a less than average run attack. Funny how his QBR # is sandwiched between Flacco and Eli. Andy is smart enough to make the right play, and given the weapons he is good enough to help them make a run as a team. Bottom line...this team has the resources to build a championship roster, and Dalton has shown the improvement to trust with the game on the line.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13263

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
That article was written on 11/21, well before Dalton's 5 game skid where receivers were dropping balls like they had oil on them.

8 drops against the Cowboys, then 6 more against the Eagles. Then at least 3 against the Steelers.

How would one type out the fail noise from the Price is Right? Because that's what I want to put right here.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 284

Dalton's not gonna win us a Superbowl by himself thru sheer willpower or talent. But he doesn't have to if you put the right people in place around him. There's only so many top tier QB in the NFL. Not every team is gonna have one. What's needed is a QB and 10 other guys who are efficient and can execute any given play in any down and distance scenario. Superstars make that process easier and goats make it harder. It's really that simple. Dalton is neither so give him a great OL, and a decent RB and #2 WR and you'd have a SB quality offense IMHO.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2352

Didn't people say the same thing about Flacco? People in bmore wanted him out of town on more than one occasion. Give Dalton time and he will shine
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22844

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerBlitz View Post
I don't see how people can come to the conclusion of YES. If you were NOT a Bengals fan and you watched Andy Dalton would you think "Yea this guy is a Superbowl caliber QB"
YES. Joe Montana did not have great arm strength. This is a team game. We win as a team. Lose as a team. You act as though QB is the end all be all to winning a SB.

Yeah. I think Dalton can be a superbowl caliber QB with the right pieces around him. He makes good decisions.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonFan View Post
YES. Joe Montana did not have great arm strength. This is a team game. We win as a team. Lose as a team. You act as though QB is the end all be all to winning a SB.

Yeah. I think Dalton can be a superbowl caliber QB with the right pieces around him. He makes good decisions.
Arm strength is overrated. IMO the 3 most important traits of a QB are:

1. Vision (i.e. seeing the field, able to go through progressions quickly and diagnose the correct spot to throw the ball).

2. Accuracy- In the NFL the windows where the ball needs to go are tight. Not too much margin for error.

3. Anticipation - See above about tight windows

That being said arm strength does effect down the field accuracy...but I don't care how far a guy can throw it as long as the ball is where its supposed to be when it is supposed to be there.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglester View Post
I like Dalton as a QB, but he is not going to be elite. He is no Brady or Manning. I think the Bengals will not make the SuperBowl with him as QB.
Manning wasn't the Manning we've seen the last several years when he first started out. Brady wasn't even good enough to crack into the middle of the draft.

Dalton has some similarities to both. Geez....he went to the Pro-Bowl as a rookie, remember? But, most of Brady's or Manning's skills come from experience and having good teams around them. Bengals are so so close. They'll get there.

I predict Dalton will go to the Pro-Bowl again next season.

Dalton has that WILL, those leadership qualities that are hard to pin down. Carson may have had better natural skills. But, he also had that "moody" attitude.

I feel much more optimistic today than I did with Carson (with the possible exception of '06).

Last edited by graphicguy; 02-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1784
bengals Re: Do you really have faith that Dalton is the QB that leads us to a championship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil413 View Post
Totally. The man steadily improved statistically without a consistent (healthy) #2 option, above average offensive line play and a less than average run attack. Funny how his QBR # is sandwiched between Flacco and Eli. Andy is smart enough to make the right play, and given the weapons he is good enough to help them make a run as a team. Bottom line...this team has the resources to build a championship roster, and Dalton has shown the improvement to trust with the game on the line.
Andy Dalton,our qb must improve a ton this year and I believe he will. What will help him is a better line playing a ton better as well.He had too much pressure on him last 4-5 games and the speed of the nfl caught up with him.He has to find the open man downfield better and get them the ball.No more running out of the pocket and not getting anything.That has to stop.He killed alot of drives doing that.Alot of times when they failed to get a 1st down and had to come off the field, it was on him.For our team to go farther this year, he must play alot better and I think he will.If he doesn't , it would not surprise me if a backup comes in at times and plays.Besides if he continues to run like he has, he will get hurt.He made some bad decisions last year and it hurt us big time.The jury is still out on him and I believe he knows what he has to do to be better.I hear he is already working on alot of plays.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
There was a veteran TE.. Donald Lee, but he went down in the preseason, and they just didn't replace him with another veteran... constant fumbles, eh? Gresham had 2 fumbles, 1 lost on the entire season, which is the exact same amount as AJ Green... so did AJ Green have constant fumbling problems too? I'm sorry, but everytime I see someone refer to Greshams "fumbling problems", it cracks me up.. the guy's never had more than 2 fumbles in a year, and never more than 1 lost fumble in a year.

Also, about his penalties, half of that is on the Bengals coaching staff. He's not a very good blocking TE. We all know that, nobody has ever tried to say otherwise, I don't believe. So why is it they keep asking him to block? And not just block, but block team's leading passrusher 1-on-1 at times? Off the top of my head I can remember him being assigned to block Justin Tuck as well as Cameron Wake 1-on-1.. he got a holding penalty. Which isn't surprising. That's the coaches putting a player in a position to fail rather than them putting a player in a position to succeed.
That's the thing that has bothered me ever since Bratkowskis time here. Why or why do you ask a pass catching TE to block? If you want a blocking TE, put one in.

This is a Mike Brown issue. He doesn't want to have situational TEs. He wants one TE that can do everything well. Guess what? Pay for one (if you can find one who is available to come here).
Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb...rank=232&year=

AJ was in top 10 in dropped passes...Gresham had 6...click on AFC and Gresham is on list

Surprising...Graham and Megatron 1 and 3 but targeted a ton.....
. It was 11 games into the season.
The Bengals went 5-1 after the article was written. But thats not the point.
I'm making an argument for the other receivers. Gresham is a bum and I can't defend him.
But the majority of the drops were from Green and Gresham as you say.
Is anyone calling for Green's head? Ofcourse not.
I'd like to know how many catchable balls Sanu,Jones and Hawkins dropped.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4245

2 things.

1.) Dalton just went through his sophmore slump.

2.) He's been a top 6 QB in the AFC twice in 2 yrs (playoffs).

Some people have trouble seeing the forest through the trees...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

#15--gone, but never forgotten...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 814

I feel more comfortable with Dalton than I do with Gruden.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr18 View Post
2 things.

Amen brother! How many different ways can we answer the same question?

Dalton was our QB yesterday, is today, will be tomorrow.

He's one of the best players on the TEAM. He's a really good player that has every sign he'll be a great player!

End of story!!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
. It was 11 games into the season.
The Bengals went 5-1 after the article was written. But thats not the point.
I'm making an argument for the other receivers. Gresham is a bum and I can't defend him.
But the majority of the drops were from Green and Gresham as you say.
Is anyone calling for Green's head? Ofcourse not.
I'd like to know how many catchable balls Sanu,Jones and Hawkins dropped.
It was 10 games into the season. Before we had 17 frops in a 3 game stretch. They were all catchable. I don't remember seeing guys leaping for balls that just grazed their fingertips. I remember seeing guys just straight up dropping legit good throws.

Jones dropped a few. Hawkins dropped at least a couple. AJ dropped an easy game winner. Gresh dropped 3 in the playoff game. This isn't about knocking those guys, I'm just saying it wasn't Dalton's fault and those 17 drops played a part in Dalton's 4 game skid.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr18 View Post
2 things.

I don't even think he had a sophomore slump. He improved his passer rating by seven points. He improved, with a garbage run game. His only good target dropped a bunch of passes........Still, rather than slump, he improved his rating. Dalton is money.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerBlitz View Post
Thanks for your enlightening post.

do you expect anything else? But seriosuly I like Dalton and think he "could" be the guy to lead us to the SB "if" he has enough weapons, but... thats just my homerism,, Dalton has alot of work to do and a long way to go till he becomes clutch.. I stand by my past thoughts, atm all Dalton has proved is that he is a Trent Dilfer type.. minus the SB ring atm.. Dalton could def change my thoughts. But atm it is what he is.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclaw View Post
do you expect anything else? But seriosuly I like Dalton and think he "could" be the guy to lead us to the SB "if" he has enough weapons, but... thats just my homerism,, Dalton has alot of work to do and a long way to go till he becomes clutch.. I stand by my past thoughts, atm all Dalton has proved is that he is a Trent Dilfer type.. minus the SB ring atm.. Dalton could def change my thoughts. But atm it is what he is.
- Trent Dilfer never completed 60% of his throws in a season
- He maxed out at 2,859 yards for a single season.
- His high for TD's was 21.
- His career passer rating was 70.2

You lose all credibility if you really think Dilfer was on Dalton's level.

As for the bolded sentence, Dalton has 20 TD's and 0 INT's in the red zone for his career, as well as 7 game winning drives and 5 4th quarter comebacks.

That's clutch.

Sig by CinWillWin