Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 468
Default Is Vontaze Burfict best as a MLB or a WLB?

Would it be best to have Burfict play MLB? Or should he stay at WLB where he had success last year?

I'm thinking he might be even better as a MLB.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals Re: Is Vontaze Burfict best as a MLB or a WLB?

If not for the injury to Howard he would not have taken a snap at WLB.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260
Default Re: Is Vontaze Burfict best as a MLB or a WLB?

He's said that he likes playing on the outside in space, but I kind of like him in the middle because he can be our big bad-*** game-changer.

He does seem to do well in space, though, so who knows. His athletic abilities make him good in pass coverage and I think he might be knd of limited on the inside.

I'd definitely move him to SAM before I left him at WILL because he'd be more involved in plays.

He led the team in tackles from a position that typically isn't supposed to make all the tackles (WILLs generally handle cut-backs, counters, running backs out of the backfield to the weakside, etc.).
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2345

Keep him where he is. He likes it and he's a stud there.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47375

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
He's said that he likes playing on the outside in space, but I kind of like him in the middle because he can be our big bad-*** game-changer.

He does seem to do well in space, though, so who knows. His athletic abilities make him good in pass coverage and I think he might be knd of limited on the inside.

I'd definitely move him to SAM before I left him at WILL because he'd be more involved in plays.

He led the team in tackles from a position that typically isn't supposed to make all the tackles (WILLs generally handle cut-backs, counters, running backs out of the backfield to the weakside, etc.).

Brad, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya on this one. In a 4-3, the WLB is usually left unaccounted for in a play's blocking scheme. I would expect my young WLB to at least be in on 80% of all running plays, as well as picking up the TE crossing the MLBs face.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73659

Flip him to SAM and I'm happy. He'd be similar to 09 Rey. However, the team will put him at MIKE
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

SAM is the only LB where he isn't a fit at all. There is zero chance of him playing there. The coaches wouldn't be dumb enough to do that. Typically, your most athletic or best playmaking LB should play weakside. As people know, I watched every snap Burfict played at ASU, every home game in person. Even back in college I stated I thought he might be better off playing outside in space where he can be freed up to make plays.

That said, I think he will be fine in the middle too. He just has to improve at taking on blockers head on and be a more of a point-of-attack guy than a run and chase playmaker who makes a lot of plays in pursuit. I think he will end up in the middle because Howard will be back to play WILL.

Last edited by Bull Durham; 02-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19781

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
If not for the injury to Howard he would not have taken a snap at WLB.
Nor would he have taken a snap at MLB.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Nor would he have taken a snap at MLB.
That I am not so sure about. I think he would have been given some opportunity and thru that may have unseated Rey. With him playing WLB you lost all other options in the middle. If you try to make that change during the season then you disrupt two positions.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18360

Quote:

WILLs usually get as many tackles as MLBs, or at the very least in the ballpark.

But yes, SAM is his best spot; he is NOT an every down backer as he is horrid in coverage; only one person on our team was worse last year and that's Rey.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

WIL is where your playmaker is so leave him there. If he likes it there and is getting more comfortable let him stay.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Brad, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya on this one. In a 4-3, the WLB is usually left unaccounted for in a play's blocking scheme. I would expect my young WLB to at least be in on 80% of all running plays, as well as picking up the TE crossing the MLBs face.
I agree to some extent, and I guess he would have more freedom to make plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
WILLs usually get as many tackles as MLBs, or at the very least in the ballpark.

But yes, SAM is his best spot; he is NOT an every down backer as he is horrid in coverage; only one person on our team was worse last year and that's Rey.
I agree and I do like him at WILL because he has the freedom to move and freelance a lot, but then I would like him in the middle just being a beast.

If we can find another bad-*** to be in the middle, then I'm ok with keeping him at WILL.

I also have no stats, but I don't think he was too bad in coverage and he'll only improve.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595
steelers Re: Is Vontaze Burfict best as a MLB or a WLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post

You're so obsessed with your pro football focus nonsense.

And if he is so horrible in coverage, I sure as hell don't want him lining up at SAM and being responsible for the TE. Since I'm sure he is totally incapable talent-wise... And any struggles he had would have nothin to do with him being a rookie. It's just that he *****, right ?

Last edited by 34inXXIII; 02-09-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Personal attacks
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny44 View Post
WIL is where your playmaker is so leave him there. If he likes it there and is getting more comfortable let him stay.
I would rather have Howard as WLB as he is far better in coverage.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28434

Vontaze Burfict is a special player who loves to play football period. Honestly, I think he would succeed at any position on the team. If Jay Gruden came up to Vontaze and asked him to try playing tight end I have no doubt Vontaze would look at film, learn to block, learn to catch, learn to run in space, and he would become a veritable force of nature at that position. Now while that's a slight exaggeration, of course, I'm confident Vontaze would be a great middle linebacker or continue his solid play on the weak side. For as much I've criticized Marvin Lewis, I have to give him credit for giving Vontaze the truth and also for giving him a chance. I have never seen an undrafted rookie play with more intensity and with more pure guts.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Quote:

Actually, on a run play, the MLB should theoretically be untouched, or if he is blocked, the WLB would be the one making the stop. Like on an iso play run from the i formation. Lets say the MLB gets blocked by an OG or the FB, the SLB for sure would be blocked by either a OG or the TE. That leaves the WLB untouched to come through the gap and stop the RB. Now, SLB's may get blocked a lot of the times, but the good ones are really good at shedding blocks and can still blow up a play in the backfield. We are not talking LOLB or ROLB right now because many outside backers in this league aren't exclusive to just one side.

So yes, Burfict is good in space, but he is also extremely instinctive, which is a HUGE plus for any successful MLB. With that said, I think we should move Burfict over to the middle and draft Ogletree to be our WLB. Judging from Ogletree's highlights, he is one fast LB that should do extremely well in space. As of SLB, I have no idea...Maybe instead of drafting Ogletree, we draft Teo and put him at SLB and have Howard start at WLB. That would be a pretty ideal situation. Teo, minus that final game, was a very good player. People say he reminds them of Rey, to them I say HECK NO. Teo has much higher awareness of where the play is. Rey in college was pretty good, but Teo definitely shows he has a much higher football IQ.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Absolutely not at SAM. Last place I would want him. Try him out at mlb in training camp and see how he does since Howard is back.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2791

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post
Actually, on a run play, the MLB should theoretically be untouched, or if he is blocked, the WLB would be the one making the stop. Like on an iso play run from the i formation. Lets say the MLB gets blocked by an OG or the FB, the SLB for sure would be blocked by either a OG or the TE. That leaves the WLB untouched to come through the gap and stop the RB. Now, SLB's may get blocked a lot of the times, but the good ones are really good at shedding blocks and can still blow up a play in the backfield. We are not talking LOLB or ROLB right now because many outside backers in this league aren't exclusive to just one side.

So yes, Burfict is good in space, but he is also extremely instinctive, which is a HUGE plus for any successful MLB. With that said, I think we should move Burfict over to the middle and draft Ogletree to be our WLB. Judging from Ogletree's highlights, he is one fast LB that should do extremely well in space. As of SLB, I have no idea...Maybe instead of drafting Ogletree, we draft Teo and put him at SLB and have Howard start at WLB. That would be a pretty ideal situation. Teo, minus that final game, was a very good player. People say he reminds them of Rey, to them I say HECK NO. Teo has much higher awareness of where the play is. Rey in college was pretty good, but Teo definitely shows he has a much higher football IQ.
I agree that Ogletree makes too much sense to pair with Burfict. You have a point with showing his strenghts being used at well at MLB. I think its the FO's job to put together a LB crew that gives them options. Howard is a solid WLB with good coverage skills coming off an injury. I'd like to see them take a SLB/MLB type in free agency or the draft to give them options.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

WLB Howard or draft pick
MLB Burfict
SLB draft pick or FA I'd really like to see Dion Jordan here
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Ask Vontaze if he'd be more comfortable at MLB rather than OLB. In my opinion he should be at MLB...Mauluga is the only reason he wasn't at MLB....We need to sign a FA OLB.

Last edited by Bengal4ever68; 02-09-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5795

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan2008 View Post

Teo looked to much like a lost Rey in the NC game. I think, of all positions a LB needs a instinctive, aware player to be successful.

Behold I am become death, the Destroyer of Worlds!

WHO DEY!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22971

Tough choice. One side of me says leave him be as he was beast. Otherside knows we need a standout MLB. Hmmm?

I say leave him be.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8320

Burfict needs to go back to the middle. He was impressive at WLB, which was a position he had never played before and learned mid-season. I'd like to think he'd be so much more impressive at his natural position that got him his national recognition in college. Besides, Howard is coming back and he has played very well for Cincinnati. I wouldn't mind if they drafted someone like Ogletree and just sat him behind Howard for a year or two, by what I read at least, Ogletree is hyper-talented but maybe not quite ready and could benefit from a little development time.

Worst case scenario with Ogletree sitting and learning is that he can be the 4th LB, come in if there's an injury, or if they need a 4th LBer. Play some situational downs while he learns.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 94-92-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9392

At MLB not only does he have to be athletic enough for the position, but he has to have intelligence to run the defense. Can he do that for us, nobody will know until we try him there. Keep in mind that we signed Burfict as a MLB in waiting, and he was forced to play out of position. I think he handled it decently, he was solid, but not spectacular. Im still projecting him to make the move inside next season.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2229

He really is adequate athelitically speaking, but he brings the mean, takes good angles and has instincts. I believe that he would be solid if not really good at MLB. That would be providing that other guys play their assignments in his first year there and let him freelance a bit to really learn while playing fast, He is good where he is, but has the chance to be great with a disciplined cast.