Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519
Default Pre-Combine 3.0

Definitely a boring time between the Super Bowl and the Combine (at least NSD was a pleasant distraction). At this point I still believe we'll focus mainly on our guys with the emphasis being on MJ and Andre Smith but I see guys like Pacman and potentially Newman back. We have a lot of cap space but we also have a lot of young talent to re-up, so don't look for any marquee FA signings; although I do think we could look at the S group with guys like William Moore and Deshon Goldson potentially hitting the market.

1. Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

I keep coming back to Vaccaro when thinking of my 2013 Round 1 wishlist. The S crop this year is arguably the best in the last decade and Vaccaro seems to be the best of the bunch. He can cover and hits like a LB, not much not to like. He could definitely end up going higher than 21 as he might be a better prospect than Mark Barron who went top 10 last year; but if he is there, then he would be a great pickup.

2. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

I've been a big fan of drafting Bernard with this pick since the season ended; but if Lacy is here then I'd prefer to go that way. BJGE doesn't strike fear into anyone and while he is a great goal line back, Lacy is an all around back that could end up being just as good as his predecessor; he could be a legit #1 back and we'd be set at the marquee offensive positions (QB, RB, WR and LT).

2. Arthur Brown LB Kansas St.

LB will surely be addressed by the end of day 2 unless we add bodies in FA. The top two round 2 options are a little undersized (Brown and Greene) but they are sideline to sideline guys and the addition of either one along with Vaccaro could spell the end of our TE issues; you can't argue the fact that TEs routinely kill us. Brown could end up being a game changer.

3. Tank Carradine DE Florida St.

Making this pick with an eye on the future. Carradine most likely won't contribute early on and could be a PUP candidate having suffered an ACL tear in December; but he has 1st round talent and if we sign MJ then Dunlap might end up being too expensive with a mega deal in the works for Atkins. Carradine has the talent to develop into a starter.

4. Josh Boyce WR TCU

Could end up being a little high for Boyce but he could also torch the 40 at the combine and move up. It's very possible that we already have our #2 WR in Sanu or Jones or we could end up signing a vet (Boldin comes to mind if released). A guy like Boyce just adds something that this offense is lacking; speed.

5. Nickell Roby CB Southern Cal

Teeny-tiny CB but has very solid cover skills. Could be a very solid #3 or #4 CB eventually; I see Kirk starting opposite Hall this season with Pac as the #3 and wouldn't be surprised to see Ghee finally make a move for PT (assuming he stays healthy) but another solid cover guy wouldn't be a bad idea.

6. Chris Thompson RB Florida St.

Pure scat back and another guy that adds speed. Thompson could end up being a solid returner and a very good change of pace back.

6. Tanner Hawkinson OT Kansas

Developmental OT.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Pre-Combine 3.0

like it all except tank and boyce. boyce is projected a 6/7 right now so I think their is better value at WR in the 4th (stedman bailey,T King,C Harper, etc.)

matter of fact I'd take McFadden in the 4th and someone like Harper in the 5th.

And then I would take someone like Jordan Mills OT in the 3rd and Cornelius Washington in the 6th. IMO it would make it better just my 2 cents tho.

Last edited by pulses; 02-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

This is one of the best drafts that I have seen on here.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
This is one of the best drafts that I have seen on here.
not with tank and boyce where u have them, and even other RB's I'd take over Thompson.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 PM
VIP Member

1.Vacarro S

2a.Lacy RB

2b.A Brown LB

3.J Mills OT

4. McFadden CB

5.C Harper WR

6a.Kerwynn Williams RB/KR

6b. C Washington DE

I'd take that all day!! Based off your mock.

Last edited by pulses; 02-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Post Re: Pre-Combine 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
1.Vacarro S

2a.Lacy RB

2b.A Brown LB

3.J Mills OT

4. McFadden CB

5.C Harper WR

6a.Kerwynn Williams RB/KR

6b. C Washington DE

I'd take that all day!! Based off your mock.
Never been a huge fan of people putting their mocks on other people's thread; just me. That said, isn't it a little early to say a guy is too high or low? Don't guys rise and fall every year? If Boyce kills the combine he could move from 5th round prospect to 4th easily and you're being a little "I want it now" about Carradine. We routinely add solid rotational guys so taking an injured 1st-2nd round talent in late 3 isn't a bad idea whatsoever. The payoff wouldn't be immediate which obviously won't suit some as many seem to think your 3rd rounders need to be immediate all pros; but Tank will more than likely be a starter in the NFL and getting that in the 80s would be a win.!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bech72 View Post
Definitely a boring time between the Super Bowl and the Combine (at least NSD was a pleasant distraction). At this point I still believe we'll focus mainly on our guys with the emphasis being on MJ and Andre Smith but I see guys like Pacman and potentially Newman back. We have a lot of cap space but we also have a lot of young talent to re-up, so don't look for any marquee FA signings; although I do think we could look at the S group with guys like William Moore and Deshon Goldson potentially hitting the market.

1. Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

I keep coming back to Vaccaro when thinking of my 2013 Round 1 wishlist. The S crop this year is arguably the best in the last decade and Vaccaro seems to be the best of the bunch. He can cover and hits like a LB, not much not to like. He could definitely end up going higher than 21 as he might be a better prospect than Mark Barron who went top 10 last year; but if he is there, then he would be a great pickup.

2. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

I've been a big fan of drafting Bernard with this pick since the season ended; but if Lacy is here then I'd prefer to go that way. BJGE doesn't strike fear into anyone and while he is a great goal line back, Lacy is an all around back that could end up being just as good as his predecessor; he could be a legit #1 back and we'd be set at the marquee offensive positions (QB, RB, WR and LT).

2. Arthur Brown LB Kansas St.

LB will surely be addressed by the end of day 2 unless we add bodies in FA. The top two round 2 options are a little undersized (Brown and Greene) but they are sideline to sideline guys and the addition of either one along with Vaccaro could spell the end of our TE issues; you can't argue the fact that TEs routinely kill us. Brown could end up being a game changer.

3. Tank Carradine DE Florida St.

Making this pick with an eye on the future. Carradine most likely won't contribute early on and could be a PUP candidate having suffered an ACL tear in December; but he has 1st round talent and if we sign MJ then Dunlap might end up being too expensive with a mega deal in the works for Atkins. Carradine has the talent to develop into a starter.

4. Josh Boyce WR TCU

Could end up being a little high for Boyce but he could also torch the 40 at the combine and move up. It's very possible that we already have our #2 WR in Sanu or Jones or we could end up signing a vet (Boldin comes to mind if released). A guy like Boyce just adds something that this offense is lacking; speed.

5. Nickell Roby CB Southern Cal

Teeny-tiny CB but has very solid cover skills. Could be a very solid #3 or #4 CB eventually; I see Kirk starting opposite Hall this season with Pac as the #3 and wouldn't be surprised to see Ghee finally make a move for PT (assuming he stays healthy) but another solid cover guy wouldn't be a bad idea.

6. Chris Thompson RB Florida St.

Pure scat back and another guy that adds speed. Thompson could end up being a solid returner and a very good change of pace back.

6. Tanner Hawkinson OT Kansas

Developmental OT.

I like the Vaccaro Pick Hes a stud and we need a safety.

I love this pick for two reasons. 1 the fact that you want lacy for all the right reasons he is big powerful and fast..can do it all, and 2. the fact that used to want bernard and finally realized lacy is the better pick makes me happy. no gracias on the slow bernard.

Arthur brown is a beast...love the guy.

Tank carradine...his acl tear scares me cuz it was late in the season but i like your thought process ahead and completely support with that reasoning. Tank is a beast.

Hate the Boyce pick. I say if we draft WR do it in round 1 or 2 or not at all...we just invested in two WR last year spending a 3 and a 5th on em and they both are argueabley gonna be our number 2 this year. both showing big promise. Why if u think we need a reciever would we address it again around the same rounds if it not even gonna be an upgrade. either upgrade the position in the draft or add in FA. always hated drafts with us going WR late. makes zero sense to me.

I could live with the pic but i dont like tiny players... i dont see a place for em anymore espeacially on the defensive side of the ball and most certainly at corner...recievers are getting bigger every year...no thanx

Never have seen the need for a small scat back. there are big backs that are just as capable of a small scat back with the same speed but coupled with power. Zach stacy would be the much much better pick here. hes 5'9 210 lbs fast elusive and can catch the ball really well. he is an every down back instead of a 1 demensional scat back. dont like the idea of a tiny guy in our backfield in the afcnorth no tanx

Tanners a beast and i like the guy...def a project but with his feet and size he has trmendous upside.

The first half of the draft gave me wood the last half made me limp
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
I like the Vaccaro Pick Hes a stud and we need a safety.

I love this pick for two reasons. 1 the fact that you want lacy for all the right reasons he is big powerful and fast..can do it all, and 2. the fact that used to want bernard and finally realized lacy is the better pick makes me happy. no gracias on the slow bernard.

Arthur brown is a beast...love the guy.

Tank carradine...his acl tear scares me cuz it was late in the season but i like your thought process ahead and completely support with that reasoning. Tank is a beast.

Hate the Boyce pick. I say if we draft WR do it in round 1 or 2 or not at all...we just invested in two WR last year spending a 3 and a 5th on em and they both are argueabley gonna be our number 2 this year. both showing big promise. Why if u think we need a reciever would we address it again around the same rounds if it not even gonna be an upgrade. either upgrade the position in the draft or add in FA. always hated drafts with us going WR late. makes zero sense to me.

I could live with the pic but i dont like tiny players... i dont see a place for em anymore espeacially on the defensive side of the ball and most certainly at corner...recievers are getting bigger every year...no thanx

Never have seen the need for a small scat back. there are big backs that are just as capable of a small scat back with the same speed but coupled with power. Zach stacy would be the much much better pick here. hes 5'9 210 lbs fast elusive and can catch the ball really well. he is an every down back instead of a 1 demensional scat back. dont like the idea of a tiny guy in our backfield in the afcnorth no tanx

Tanners a beast and i like the guy...def a project but with his feet and size he has trmendous upside.

The first half of the draft gave me wood the last half made me limp
The Boyce pick isn't necessarily because I think we have a need at WR. Every offense needs playmakers and Boyce brings the type of speed that only Hawkins has; and Hawkins might move on to greener pastures next season after playing under the restricted FA tender; might not have the money to pay a role player like him. Every offense needs playmakers and speed. Everyone is so focused on looking for starters and "prototype" players that they seem to forget that. Boyce could put that speed to great use as a #5 receiver eventually and adding speed in 4 isn't a bad idea.

Almost the same thought process for Roby. You can't argue with production and the guy produced in a pass heavy conference. Would e ever be an outside guy? No. But is he big enough to stick with the Wes Welkers, Danny Amendolas and Andrew Hawkins type slot guys? Yes! Has the potential to develop into a solid nickel eventually; a position that is all but a starter in today's NFL. You can't always get 6'+ and 200+ CBs; especially in 5. All that said based on cover skills alone, if Roby were 6' he would likely be a 1st round prospect.

Also sick of the "not in the AFCN" stuff. Chris Rainey was having a decent season for a late rounder before he decided to go on a crime spree. The Browns have had some smaller backs that haven't been awful. The fact that Scott can't stay healthy isn't because he plays in the AFCN; its because he can't stay healthy. You don't have to have a small scat back; but a guy like Thompson with his speed wouldn't be a bad #3 or 4 and a ST guy. You can't get overly picky about build this late in the draft and there's no denying that Thompson made some electrifying plays in Tallahassee.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476
bengals Re: Pre-Combine 3.0

Nice mock Bech.

I just do not see Vacarro falling to us at 21.

I do not know much about the TCU receiver or Fla. State RB but this offense could certainly use some dangerous speed.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Nice mock Bech.

I just do not see Vacarro falling to us at 21.

I do not know much about the TCU receiver or Fla. State RB but this offense could certainly use some dangerous speed.
I tend to agree on Vaccaro; it's not a stretch to think that he will be more valued than Barron as he's arguably a better all around prospect.

I don't know a ton about Boyce either but his best year came as a freshman with a certain red headed QB throwing him passes. I'd definitely love to see some speed and to ugh ness added on O.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
The Boyce pick isn't necessarily because I think we have a need at WR. Every offense needs playmakers and Boyce brings the type of speed that only Hawkins has; and Hawkins might move on to greener pastures next season after playing under the restricted FA tender; might not have the money to pay a role player like him. Every offense needs playmakers and speed. Everyone is so focused on looking for starters and "prototype" players that they seem to forget that. Boyce could put that speed to great use as a #5 receiver eventually and adding speed in 4 isn't a bad idea.

Almost the same thought process for Roby. You can't argue with production and the guy produced in a pass heavy conference. Would e ever be an outside guy? No. But is he big enough to stick with the Wes Welkers, Danny Amendolas and Andrew Hawkins type slot guys? Yes! Has the potential to develop into a solid nickel eventually; a position that is all but a starter in today's NFL. You can't always get 6'+ and 200+ CBs; especially in 5. All that said based on cover skills alone, if Roby were 6' he would likely be a 1st round prospect.

Also sick of the "not in the AFCN" stuff. Chris Rainey was having a decent season for a late rounder before he decided to go on a crime spree. The Browns have had some smaller backs that haven't been awful. The fact that Scott can't stay healthy isn't because he plays in the AFCN; its because he can't stay healthy. You don't have to have a small scat back; but a guy like Thompson with his speed wouldn't be a bad #3 or 4 and a ST guy. You can't get overly picky about build this late in the draft and there's no denying that Thompson made some electrifying plays in Tallahassee.
man u sold me on everything but the running backs....the brown had smaller type running backs that werent terrible? werent terrible?? Straight up the browns have trent and Montario.
Rainey wasnt doing crap...i saw his good runs but he was getting popped at the end...i think with u selling me on the boyce pick makes me even more strong at this point...if we want a gadget player or someone tiny and explosive in the open field put hawkins in motion to the backfield like we did this year or with boyce and have them run around...I dont like having a tiny running back...they can never carry the load and what happens if we need em too. then they get destroyed and b scott re tore his **** on a pass block against a huge Backer rushing....i think that says tooo small all over it his body just crunched and his knee gave. no small guy RB's
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

I just don't see where Boyce's 4.54 translates into hawkins type speed. Hawkins is much faster than that.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I just don't see where Boyce's 4.54 translates into hawkins type speed. Hawkins is much faster than that.
His 40 time is pure speculation right now. Not too mention that 40 times are grossly overrated. What is a telling factor and is much more important is effective football speed. Game play shows if a player has speed that translates to the game. Bolden ran a 4.72 at the combine. He has seemed to make the transition to the NFL just fine.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Agree with OSU; but I stick mostly to NFLDraftscout.com and they project a low time in the 4.4s: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=WR

While Walter projects 4.42. http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013WR.php

But to OSU's point; the kid played fast which is really what matters. Although, if he runs in the 4.5s, I'd still like to see him added; but probably not until 5 or 6 which is where he will project with a time like that. 4.45 or better probably moves him into the 4-5 discussion.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Agree with OSU; but I stick mostly to NFLDraftscout.com and they project a low time in the 4.4s: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=WR

While Walter projects 4.42. http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013WR.php

But to OSU's point; the kid played fast which is really what matters. Although, if he runs in the 4.5s, I'd still like to see him added; but probably not until 5 or 6 which is where he will project with a time like that. 4.45 or better probably moves him into the 4-5 discussion.
I think way too many people get caught up on 40 yard dash times that are run in shorts (hopefully with a shirt on. .....ha-ha). For those people I would have to suggest watching film.Watch a player at game speed and see how he compares to others on the field with pads on.

There are many players that do not burn up a stop watch but play fast. When you watch Jacoby Jones on the field does he look like a 4.50 guy? He most certainly does not but that is what he ran in shorts.

Cannot say it enough ......effective football speed.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I think way too many people get caught up on 40 yard dash times that are run in shorts (hopefully with a shirt on. .....ha-ha). For those people I would have to suggest watching film.Watch a player at game speed and see how he compares to others on the field with pads on.

There are many players that do not burn up a stop watch but play fast. When you watch Jacoby Jones on the field does he look like a 4.50 guy? He most certainly does not but that is what he ran in shorts.

Cannot say it enough ......effective football speed.
I've watched Boyce he just does not seem all that quick to me.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1476

Those first three picks are great!