Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10038
Default Lawless's final pre-combine mock

1 Corderrelle Patterson WR Tennessee

The 2005 receiving core was dynamic for the Bengals with Chad, TJ , and Henry. Patterson could be the Henry to AJ and Sanu's Chad and TJ.

2a Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State

Poyer has 4.4 speed, great man coverage skills and great ball skills with 7 picks last season. Has enough skill to play all over the secondary (field, bondary, slot) He was also a dangerous weapon on special teams with a 14.8 yards per punt return average. His skills remind me of Johnathan Joseph as does his 5'11" 190lbs frame.

2b Phillip Thomas S Fresno State

Thomas is a guy that can play FS and SS like Nelson thus making them virtually inerchangable. Needs to work on his open field tackling otherwise he is the top safety in the class.

3 Jamie Collins OLB Southern Missippi

Collins fits into the "hybrid category" and will provide Zimmer with another weapon to his arsenal. The task now is to figure out who on the roster starts at linebacker but with Collins, Moch, Maybin, and Joiner on the roster the potential is there.

4 Joe Kruger DE Utah

6ft7 275lbs DE could fill in in the case of losing MJ although he will likely need time to develop. Maybe we tag MJ and allow Kruger to sit behind him for a year.

5-Chris Harper WR Kansas State

Harper does a good job using his size (6ft1 228lbs) to win one-on-one battles, and while he’s not really a fast receiver he definitely is capable of making big plays. Snatches the ball well and is a pretty reliable receiver.

6a Cierre Woods RB Notre Dame

Woods lacks the power to be an every down back but at 6'1" 215lbs with 4.45 speed he could become the perfect change of pace back here. Also needs to work pass protection.

6b Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M (Kansas State transfer)

Foketi being available here is obviously wishful thinking. I have seen him rated as a 4th rounder on some sites and a 6th rounder on others. While Foketi was dominant in college he had a season ending leg injury in week 2 of his senior year so who knows where he may go. If he is available here it is a steal.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1

Last edited by Lawless_1; 02-13-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8509
Default Re: Lawless's final pre-combine mock

1. Would love to add a guy like Patterson; he's still green and there's no telling how good he could end up being. Been some top 10 talk recently so a monster combine could put him well it of our reach in the end.

2. Poyer would be an excellent addition and would give us 5 very good options (Hall, Kirk, Pac hopefully, Poyer and Ghee (holding out hope)).

2. Not my first choice of the S class but a solid addition and likely day 1 starter.

3. Would prefer a more NFL ready guy like the kid from TA&M or Hodges, but seems like an interesting option. Will have to read up on him.

4. Solid pick up in 4.

5-6 interesting PS candidates.

Not much to complain about but we would have had to address RB and LB in FA for it to work.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4123

If the Patterson to Julio Jones comparisons are true he is one of the only guys I would consider trading up for in the first round. I haven't seen enough of him to decide if he is worthy of those comparisons. If there hasn't been a HB or WR selected by the time we get on the clock I think we end that.

I worry that the jump from Mountain West to NFL is going to be a shock for Thomas. I don't think he is going to be able to make an immediate impact.

I'd rather take 2 HBs and 1 WR instead of the other way around. And definitely want a HB earlier than the 5th unless we land a free agent or two. But I like both Wood and Harper a lot.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Two consecutive years of 6th round RB's? You're killing me.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
1 Corderrelle Patterson WR Tennessee

2a Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State

2b Phillip Thomas S Fresno State

3 Jamie Collins OLB Southern Missippi

4 Joe Kruger DE Utah

5a-Chris Harper WR Kansas State

5b Cierre Woods RB Notre Dame

6 Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M (Kansas State transfer)
1. Lost a little respect for Cordarrelle at the skills competition last weekend. His team was out of the running and he just went through the motions. I know it's petty, but something to monitor.

2A. Love Poyer, defensive leader on the field and I think he was pretty good in the return game early in his career.

2B. Definate upgrade. Thomas could be victim of the east coast bias and might be the most talented safety in the draft.

3. Pimped this guy earlier; although, he didn't shine in the Senior Bowl as I had hoped.

4. Big bodied replacement for Geathers, if we don't re-sign

5A. Dude is gonna blow up the combine (ala Steven Hill) and shoot up draft boards.

5B. You're picking all my dudes, Cierre could be the sleeper of the draft. Brian Kelly may give something back to Cincinnati

6. No brainer if there.

Draft obviously receives the bfine seal of approval. Maybe overkill on the WR
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
1. Lost a little respect for Cordarrelle at the skills competition last weekend. His team was out of the running and he just went through the motions. I know it's petty, but something to monitor.

2A. Love Poyer, defensive leader on the field and I think he was pretty good in the return game early in his career.

2B. Definate upgrade. Thomas could be victim of the east coast bias and might be the most talented safety in the draft.

3. Pimped this guy earlier; although, he didn't shine in the Senior Bowl as I had hoped.

4. Big bodied replacement for Geathers, if we don't re-sign

5A. Dude is gonna blow up the combine (ala Steven Hill) and shoot up draft boards.

5B. You're picking all my dudes, Cierre could be the sleeper of the draft. Brian Kelly may give something back to Cincinnati

6. No brainer if there.

Draft obviously receives the bfine seal of approval. Maybe overkill on the WR
Poyer is the guy I have been pimping at nauseam over the past few months and Harper is my second favorite player.

I know Patterson and Harper would likely seem like overkill but I could see in happening and the depth chart going Green, Sanu, Patterson, Jones, Harper, Whalen/Hawkins (battling for roster spot).

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 40056

Quote:
Poyer is the guy I have been pimping at nauseam over the past few months and Harper is my second favorite player.

I know Patterson and Harper would likely seem like overkill but I could see in happening and the depth chart going Green, Sanu, Patterson, Jones, Harper, Whalen/Hawkins (battling for roster spot).

How did you get two 5ths and 1 6th? I've been under the impression that it was the other way around?

Only concern I have is waiting to throw in a token OLman with your last pick, otherwise, pretty good.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
How did you get two 5ths and 1 6th? I've been under the impression that it was the other way around?

Only concern I have is waiting to throw in a token OLman with your last pick, otherwise, pretty good.
You are correct. Fixed.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

added pics.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136

I dig it overall, but I'd be ticked if they waited til the 6th for a RB again.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533

Quote:

Don't forget, we picked up Sanzenbacher at the end of the season last year
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Don't forget, we picked up Sanzenbacher at the end of the season last year
Hey now. I actually liked the Sanzenbacher pickup.

I'd take him over Whalen at the very least.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

I don't think Sanzenbacher makes the team.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7773

Like all these players.

But in no way do not see Bengals using 4 out of the first 5 picks on defensive side of the ball in this years draft.

Could see them addressing a major defensive need via free agency with star veteran player. Since better players are more likely to be lured in by Zimmer then Gruden.

Then splitting first couple picks O/D per best available and then giving the lions share of the rest to Offense.

But still great insight on talent in draft and like the majority listed.