Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21247
Default Re: Why it would be wise to go After Mike Wallace

I agree the Bengals should bid on Wallace, but prefer Bowe.

I made a similar point years back when Ray Lewis was working his last contract with the Ravens. Get in the bidding, drive up the price. Even if they don't get him, or even want him, the "competition" will force a bigger contract.

Whatever the decision, I completely agree that any issue with WR's needs to be solved in FA, not the draft.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Gee, what an original post. Nothing at all like the 300 other Mike Wallace threads already going...

But it's still not a good move.

But I'm sure the steelers would love it if the bengals tied up a bunch of money in a receiver who isn't all that great.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 616
bengals Re: Why it would be wise to go After Mike Wallace

First off I haven't logged on in a while so I had no idea about the Wallace threads so forgive me, but you cant Tell me wr shouldn't be addressed before draft. We Need a proven nfl receiver That Can hold his own against Man coverage, I dont care if Its not Mike Wallace, but would prefer him since I've seen him be a pain in the *** for us and the ravens
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Gee, what an original post. Nothing at all like the 300 other Mike Wallace threads already going...

But it's still not a good move.

But I'm sure the steelers would love it if the bengals tied up a bunch of money in a receiver who isn't all that great.
Please explain the downside of lining up Wallace opposite AJ with Sanu in the slot.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Please explain the downside of lining up Wallace opposite AJ with Sanu in the slot.
because we already have a guy who can do that Ryan Whalen
4th Cameron Fleming T
5th AJ McCarron QB
6th Justin Jones TE
6th Beau Allen DT
7th Yawin Smallwood LB
7th Anthony Steen G
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 17854

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishouldbegm View Post
You forgot your sarcasm tag... I hope.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM
VIP Member

Either he's being sarcastic or he has a football IQ of zero
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9617

Not the biggest Mike Wallace fan. Like Bowe better as well.

But saying Whalen can do better is absurd. Wallace already has numerous NFL TD's under his belt.

Also runs a 4.33-- 40 yard dash compared to Whalens 4.62---40 yard dash. That is a big difference in speed alone.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Because dalton can't throw an accurate deep ball...
Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2026

Well if Madden 13 is anything to go by, Wallace wins the deep ball battle everytime, he's given me so many 80+ yard TD's its insane.... and my created guy is the Bengals QB btw :p

I wouldn't be unhappy to see Wallace here. Not sure about his reliability, doesn't have the best hands, and I think he's really best as a home run threat (which is Dalton's weakness).

But again, wouldn't be unhappy to see him here. Not sure we'd be too improved in the short game, but Wallace's speed alone can stretch a defence.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1476

I certainly would get in the bidding for Wallace and Bowe, but we don't have to give up on Whalen. Just cut Tate. Whalen is a very good all-purpose receiver with good hands.

I also haven't given up on Marvin Jones, who I think showed strong potential this past season, and who will continue to develop.

To me, AJ and Wallace out wide, with Sanu and Hawkins sharing the slot, and Marvin Jones taking some snaps on a regular basis just seems like a coverage nightmare for the rest of the league. Whalen can be a low cost option, and a good receiver who can fill in during injuries.

One final word about Marvin Jones: I know it all depends on how he works and develops, and to some degree, how he is used. But I think he has a chance to become an excellent NFL receiver.

Last edited by ThunderCloud; 02-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 901

Please nooooooooo.....this is called reckless spending...cant see mb doing this. wallace if anything, not bush. i think the draft will fill the rb position and i still like sanu and what we got, but id say wallace is too expensive and we can find another wr in the draft.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892

To me the top two "young" WR's in Free Agency are both inconsistent.

Dwayne Bowe (28) and Mike Wallace (27)

One's a speedster and that's his strong suit. In the end these are two guys that have put up decent numbers being the #1 receivers on their team. I think honestly they are both top of the line #2 guys that are just the best receivers on their team. I don't care what we do this season at this position honestly either

We do nothing and stand pat with Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu hoping they can stay healthy, and develop across from AJ

Sign Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Mike Hartline, etc. and have them step in across AJ (I for one don't like Hartline, but many here do).

Draft a receiver early DeAndre Hopkins, Cordelle Patterson, etc. and hope they step in as rookies and help take pressure off of AJ and Andy

Honestly I'd probably prefer option 2 or 3, but I don't care what we do as long as we are upgrading our other positions properly.

Preferrably we go AJ at #1, new guy at #2, Sanu taking over the slot, and Hawkins coming in the slot and outside at times as well as 4 wide. Only thing about that is there isn't much to do with Marvin Jones.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1367

Let me disperse some truth and reason.

Mike Wallace vs the AFC North last year produced a whopping 11 catches and 0 TDS.
vs a weak passsive Browns defense,he caught 1 pass in 2 games.
To put it in perspective..Plaxico Burress and Marvin Jones had one more TD vs the AFC North than Wallace did.

He is gonna want 10-12 mil a year. Eh,no thanks. Let a team like the Fins cave in to his high price cause they can't draft WRs any how.

The Bengals could use a true burner on the opposite side of A.J.But signing Wallace would not help your cap when have to resign Atkins, Green and perhaps Gresham.
But that can be addressed in the draft in a mid RD. The Colts struck gold with Hilton and in FA with Avery.
Donnie Avery made 600,000 last year.

AJ Green is a number #1 WR.The Bengals don't have room for 2.
Green has already voiced some displeasaures in why he isn't being targeted earlier.
We have talent at WR. Its just a matter of Gruden becoming a better OC.
If Gruden doesn't elevate this offense in 2013,Hue Jackson will be your OC in 2013.
Gruden should be feeling some heat now.

I'd rather have Reggie Bush at a cheaper price than Wallace.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

The only way the Bengals could afford to sign Mike Wallace and keep him long term would be to let AJ walk after his contract is up.

Your talking about at least 5 yrs 60 mil dollars.

Who out of Andre, MJ or Geno are you letting walk?

I agree that some help is needed at the WR spot.

They are going to have to go cheaper than Mike Wallace if they want to retain their own Free Agents for the long term.

You can't pay everyone, that is the reality and challenge of it.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11292

How about because when Dalton had 2 receivers who could take the top off a defense, he had a deep ball accuracy of 40%.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Lawson View Post
Because its the biggest Need to me For THIS football Team. This would turn a weakness into a strength, and weaken a division foe in the process. He's produced as a number one Just imagine How productive he could be across from Green and vice versa? We can cut Brandon Tate and whalen and draft a wide reciever in the late rounds. This would also let us focus on safety rb and linebacker With First and second round selections, and would could still extend our own. So a five year deal for Wallace is something the club should Think long and hard about
Pure speculation.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3022

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
The only way the Bengals could afford to sign Mike Wallace and keep him long term would be to let AJ walk after his contract is up.

Your talking about at least 5 yrs 60 mil dollars.

Who out of Andre, MJ or Geno are you letting walk?

I agree that some help is needed at the WR spot.

They are going to have to go cheaper than Mike Wallace if they want to retain their own Free Agents for the long term.

You can't pay everyone, that is the reality and challenge of it.
55 mil in cap space says that is a flat out lie.....franchise tag says that is a flat out lie....the ability to let MJ, Andre walk makes that a flat out lie

Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21435

So if you pay Wallace this silly some of money he is looking for, which is money around what some of the elite at the position are making, then what number are you proposing to pay Green when it is time to extend him?

I mean you are going to pay a guy that THINKS he is one of the best upward of what guys that have proven they are the best. So what then do you pay AJ who IS one of the best?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
You're joking right?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I shall now ignore everything you ever say from now on

Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
So if you pay Wallace this silly some of money he is looking for, which is money around what some of the elite at the position are making, then what number are you proposing to pay Green when it is time to extend him?

I mean you are going to pay a guy that THINKS he is one of the best upward of what guys that have proven they are the best. So what then do you pay AJ who IS one of the best?
Man You People are freaking insane, we are 56 million under the cap that means we Can offer Wallace a five year 37 million dollar contract and havnde plenty of cap For three seasons and that's afte.r signing mj,andre, Newman geathers and pacman .You figure we would still be at least 20 million under plenty of room for Dalton Green Gresham and atkins
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Lawson View Post
Man You People are freaking insane, we are 56 million under the cap that means we Can offer Wallace a five year 37 million dollar contract and havnde plenty of cap For three seasons and that's afte.r signing mj,andre, Newman geathers and pacman .You figure we would still be at least 20 million under plenty of room for Dalton Green Gresham and atkins
Man dont even listen, ppl just have no idea how to subtract....Iv read on here before that signing Gilberry would keep us from signing Geno, MJ, or Green......

People just refuse to do research

Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
To me the top two "young" WR's in Free Agency are both inconsistent.

Dwayne Bowe (28) and Mike Wallace (27)

One's a speedster and that's his strong suit. In the end these are two guys that have put up decent numbers being the #1 receivers on their team. I think honestly they are both top of the line #2 guys that are just the best receivers on their team. I don't care what we do this season at this position honestly either

We do nothing and stand pat with Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu hoping they can stay healthy, and develop across from AJ

Sign Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Mike Hartline, etc. and have them step in across AJ (I for one don't like Hartline, but many here do).

Draft a receiver early DeAndre Hopkins, Cordelle Patterson, etc. and hope they step in as rookies and help take pressure off of AJ and Andy

Honestly I'd probably prefer option 2 or 3, but I don't care what we do as long as we are upgrading our other positions properly.

Preferrably we go AJ at #1, new guy at #2, Sanu taking over the slot, and Hawkins coming in the slot and outside at times as well as 4 wide. Only thing about that is there isn't much to do with Marvin Jones.
I agree with several of your assessments...

I prefer Bowe over Wallace, but either would be a better choice than Hartline...you, I, and a minority of others here look at Hartline RATIONALLY and without our Buckeye colored sunglasses...

I also wouldn't mind an early pick on Patterson or Hopkins...however, the Bengals should front-end any deal with Bowe or Wallace in order to dump either's contract when it's time to re-sign AJ and/or Patterson/Hopkins

Sanu's going to be fine in the slot...potential 70-80 reception player...Jones, I'm not sold on yet, but willing to give him another year or 2.

As far as who'd I'd let walk...let it be MJ...Andre's developed into a fine RT and Geno...well there's no way we should let, arguably the best DT in the NFL, walk!...replacing MJ with any of the first 3 picks is realistic in this year's draft...I like MJ and although this was his best season thus far...he was virtually invisible in too many games this year. He's not worth the money he'll be seeking off this year's performance.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Man dont even listen, ppl just have no idea how to subtract....Iv read on here before that signing Gilberry would keep us from signing Geno, MJ, or Green......

People just refuse to do research
Finally someone who u understands math and That we can upgrade like no other Team in the league right Now