Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,229
Rep Points: 19004
Default Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

1--Other than QB, any position you hope not to see taken in the first?

2--Other than QB, any position you think the war room would have off the table?

3--If you feel QB is on the table, go ahead and say it and who, thus setting off another AD debate.

4--Name a player who might be a possibility you would hate to see picked.

This is for the first round only.

I guess the point is that I believe there will not necessarily be one each of WR, RB, S, LB taken. Marvin(or whoever) took a CB he never really planned to play, 2 WR's and 2 DT's last year, barely played the one and didn't even activate the other.

Just mentioning the possibility that we might not check off every position on our wish list and we might load up on one or more of them.

Taking care of two of those holes would make a dramatic difference. I'm just not convinced they'll all be filled but we'll still be a much better team. Every team has holes. If you only have one or two, you got probably got a shot at a SB run.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

IF Andre is re-signed, OT is probably off the table.
I would say outside of that, anything could be game.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Speedy Thomas 17 Speedy Thomas 17 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 727
Rep Points: 920
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Peko, Geno, Sims, Still, Thompson.

I would be very surprised with a DT at 21.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM
RIPChrisHenry RIPChrisHenry is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 630
Rep Points: 360
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Kicker
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
Peko, Geno, Sims, Still, Thompson.

I would be very surprised with a DT at 21.
If for some reason Star falls he could easily be the pick. Same with Sheldon Richardson.
Maybe even Hankins. Could just be a value pick. Which, with 3 picks in the first two rounds is a possibility.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,360
Rep Points: 17011
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
If for some reason Star falls he could easily be the pick. Same with Sheldon Richardson.
Maybe even Hankins. Could just be a value pick. Which, with 3 picks in the first two rounds is a possibility.
If he does drop, all he would do is replace Sims, then we would have a guy sitting again.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
If he does drop, all he would do is replace Sims, then we would have a guy sitting again.
No he wouldn't.
He would start.
Sims is a rotational guy and Peko is a marginal starter.
He would start. Easily.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,229
Rep Points: 19004
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
Peko, Geno, Sims, Still, Thompson.

I would be very surprised with a DT at 21.
Me too. There are some that look pretty good in the draft too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Speedy Thomas 17 Speedy Thomas 17 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 727
Rep Points: 920
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Yeah, if they could get a significant upgrade, maybe. But DT is our deepest position. Anytime your 2nd & 3rd round picks aren't active for most of the season, you have to think that position is pretty well set.

A first round DT would do the least to help the 2013 team.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,229
Rep Points: 19004
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
Yeah, if they could get a significant upgrade, maybe. But DT is our deepest position. Anytime your 2nd & 3rd round picks aren't active for most of the season, you have to think that position is pretty well set.

A first round DT would do the least to help the 2013 team.
No doubt. That might be one time where you take the second highest player on the board.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
Yeah, if they could get a significant upgrade, maybe. But DT is our deepest position. Anytime your 2nd & 3rd round picks aren't active for most of the season, you have to think that position is pretty well set.

A first round DT would do the least to help the 2013 team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
No doubt. That might be one time where you take the second highest player on the board.
Disagree.
Our defense needs a 2nd impact lineman.
Someone who can succeed outside of the presence of Geno. I'm not convinced we have that yet. Could it be a DE? Could it be a DT? I do not know.

But we do need someone who can either draw a double team or beat a one on one block consistently enough so they rethink doubling and even tripling Geno.

we have 2 guys at NT who are nothing more than solid at best. Peko plays in spurts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,229
Rep Points: 19004
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Disagree.
Our defense needs a 2nd impact lineman.
Someone who can succeed outside of the presence of Geno. I'm not convinced we have that yet. Could it be a DE? Could it be a DT? I do not know.

But we do need someone who can either draw a double team or beat a one on one block consistently enough so they rethink doubling and even tripling Geno.

we have 2 guys at NT who are nothing more than solid at best. Peko plays in spurts.
Good point. Can Still or Thompson be that guy? Still didn't look too bad to me when he played. DT's can take a year or two to really show.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Good point. Can Still or Thompson be that guy? Still didn't look too bad to me when he played. DT's can take a year or two to really show.
I agree with that. But I view Still as a UT to back up Geno.
I would look at the various NT.
Sims is what he is. Peko runs anywhere from "Dear god how is he on a professional team" to "Where the hell has this guy been?!?" They are pretty much known quantities.

Is Thompson going to be more than was Sims is? A back up NT who can take a few plays from the starter.

IDK. I have my doubts. I would hate to pass on a top tier DT who falls for it though.
Same way I would hate to pass on a top WR if it is the BPA for Jones and Sanu.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Speedy Thomas 17 Speedy Thomas 17 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 727
Rep Points: 920
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

We have enormous needs at safety and LB. While I normally am a believer in best player available, if we draft a NT, we have to cut a good player -- Sims or Thompson. That problem would not occur were we to take a S or LB. Or, for that matter, a WR or RB.

What we are talking about is short term vs. long term. If you can get Star at 21, of course you do it. But that's what would really surprise me about taking a DT -- that a DT we can't pass up would be available at 21. Everybody wants DT's and not everybody is as blessed at that position as we are.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
crazyjdawg's Avatar
crazyjdawg crazyjdawg is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cincy
Posts: 9,812
Rep Points: 19035
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

I think DT is off the table.

We just used a 2nd and 3rd last year and have Atkins, Peko and Sims.

I can't see us drafting a DT at all, let alone in the first round. Unless Star falls or something haha.

I also think TE is off the table because of Gresham and Charles being talented. That and the fact that we have such bigger needs and there not being any clear cut #1 TE in this draft.
__________________


5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
We have enormous needs at safety and LB. While I normally am a believer in best player available, if we draft a NT, we have to cut a good player -- Sims or Thompson. That problem would not occur were we to take a S or LB. Or, for that matter, a WR or RB.

What we are talking about is short term vs. long term. If you can get Star at 21, of course you do it. But that's what would really surprise me about taking a DT -- that a DT we can't pass up would be available at 21. Everybody wants DT's and not everybody is as blessed at that position as we are.
We have stark differences in definitions of "good" player. Sims is a rotational backup. Thompson is a 3rd rounder who didn't dress for most games.

If we draft a LB or S, I am fine for that. But I don't want to reach for a guy we could get at 37 just based on position. We have drafted for value and need the last 3-4 years and it has been a huge success. I see no reason to stop.

Im not saying we SHOULD take a DT, but if one of the top guys slides, I see zero reason to not take them.

Same thing with OT. If for some reason Joeckel or Fisher fell, I would zero problem taking them even if we re-sign Andre.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
I think DT is off the table.

We just used a 2nd and 3rd last year and have Atkins, Peko and Sims.

I can't see us drafting a DT at all, let alone in the first round. Unless Star falls or something haha.

I also think TE is off the table because of Gresham and Charles being talented. That and the fact that we have such bigger needs and there not being any clear cut #1 TE in this draft.
I think Still doesn't factor in since he is a UT
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Speedy Thomas 17 Speedy Thomas 17 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 727
Rep Points: 920
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
We have stark differences in definitions of "good" player. Sims is a rotational backup. Thompson is a 3rd rounder who didn't dress for most games.

If we draft a LB or S, I am fine for that. But I don't want to reach for a guy we could get at 37 just based on position. We have drafted for value and need the last 3-4 years and it has been a huge success. I see no reason to stop.

Im not saying we SHOULD take a DT, but if one of the top guys slides, I see zero reason to not take them.

Same thing with OT. If for some reason Joeckel or Fisher fell, I would zero problem taking them even if we re-sign Andre.
I'm pretty sure we did a lot better vs. the run over the last two years when Sims was active.

Thompson was a 3rd rounder who wasn't active because Sims was so effective.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,688
Rep Points: 29515
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Qb
dt
k
p
c
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
I'm pretty sure we did a lot better vs. the run over the last two years when Sims was active.

Thompson was a 3rd rounder who wasn't active because Sims was so effective.
Has less to do with that and more to do with having a back up NT active.
When Still or Hayden were active we ran with only one NT. Peko.
When you have one NT on roster your run defense struggles. Peko played more snaps got more worn down. We would run 2 UT types on the field and that hurts your run D.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,009
Rep Points: 22451
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
No he wouldn't.
He would start.
Sims is a rotational guy and Peko is a marginal starter.
He would start. Easily.
Berserker? Have you forgotten who our HC is?

Deserve to start? yeah - duh
Would really start? GOL



Giggling online.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 19,925
Rep Points: 23860
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Berserker? Have you forgotten who our HC is?

Deserve to start? yeah - duh
Would really start? GOL



Giggling online.
That is a pure myth.
When a rookie truly deserves to start he does.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
I think DT is off the table.

We just used a 2nd and 3rd last year and have Atkins, Peko and Sims.

I can't see us drafting a DT at all, let alone in the first round. Unless Star falls or something haha.

I also think TE is off the table because of Gresham and Charles being talented. That and the fact that we have such bigger needs and there not being any clear cut #1 TE in this draft.
Sims is a free agent and will likely be gone. If a top DT is available, it's a definite possibility. No way would be organization not have the option on the table.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
wolfkaosaun's Avatar
wolfkaosaun wolfkaosaun is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 6,673
Rep Points: 10359
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

If Star falls, take him in a heart beat. Other than that, no DT.

Or kicker. Or punter. Or FB
__________________

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Natikid873's Avatar
Natikid873 Natikid873 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen City
Posts: 1,112
Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: Other than QB, is anyone OFF the table at 21?

If Andre stays, no OT
If MJ stays, no DE
No TE
No C
No DT

That's about it other than QB which has been established.
__________________

CINwillWIN is the man
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.