Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16507
Default FULLbacks and HALFbacks

This is probably another one of those things that only brain injured people think about, but did you ever wonder why a fullback is called a FULLback when he's the back that's lined up halfway between quarterback and halfback in the I formation and the halfback is called a HALFback when he's the full distance from the quarterback?

How does that make sense?

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20603
Default Re: FULLbacks and HALFbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
This is probably another one of those things that only brain injured people think about, but did you ever wonder why a fullback is called a FULLback when he's the back that's lined up halfway between quarterback and halfback in the I formation and the halfback is called a HALFback when he's the full distance from the quarterback?

Hope this helps

Halfback vs Fullback
Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 874

In the old days, in the "I" formation, there was a guy who was a quarter of the way back from the line, one who was half way back from the line and one who was fully back from the line.

In those days the biggest of them was the fullback and he normally carried the ball because bigger was harder to tackle. Somewhere along the line someone realized the bigger guy being in front of the smaller was a good idea for the sake of blocking since defenses were getting bigger.

Others started lining their fullbacks up in that position but continued to call them fullbacks. At least most of them started calling the other guy a running back even though they weren't either the lone back or in the "T" formation.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27996

Quote:

Quarterback

Halfback

Fullback

Tailback

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73188

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsyltuckian View Post
In the old days, in the "I" formation, there was a guy who was a quarter of the way back from the line, one who was half way back from the line and one who was fully back from the line.

In those days the biggest of them was the fullback and he normally carried the ball because bigger was harder to tackle. Somewhere along the line someone realized the bigger guy being in front of the smaller was a good idea for the sake of blocking since defenses were getting bigger.

Others started lining their fullbacks up in that position but continued to call them fullbacks. At least most of them started calling the other guy a running back even though they weren't either the lone back or in the "T" formation.
^ This
Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7033
bengals Re: FULLbacks and HALFbacks

Quote:

Didn't used to be that way, with the full house backfield.