Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: Dalton vs Kaepernick (20/20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Exactly. I'm just gonna steal your words and say I second them. I like Andy, he's done plenty good stuff in two years, but some things do need to get better (and hopefully will).
And he will improve over time.

He has had 2 above average years for a QB. They were good years for a rookie and 2nd year guy.

One has to expect continued improvement.

Just think how much worse shape we'd be in if he had like a QB rating in the mid-70's this year. That could have easily happened. We have one of the least talented WR units 2-5 in the NFL. There is potential there, but not production.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36311

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
I'm not the one trying to polish the turd that is Dalton's accuracy over 20 yards and his playoff appearance v. the Texans. It's funny bc I've asked the question like five times in this thread 'what do you specifically think Dalton does better than CK?' Corey was the only one who answered (disagree with his answer but at least he responded). Most people sidestepped and said 'if you put Dalton on the niners he'd be better than CK' which is just effin' dumb. So I answered my own question. To answer your question, yes, I think Dalton is very good in the redzone. Although statistically better I'd take CK because he's a dual threat and I think he has far superior skills throwing the rock. So I think we'll see those stats shift over time. It does get annoying though that no one can seem to put any blame on Dalton for anything. Texans game...not his fault (it was the OC that made him stink up the joint and look confused!). Last 5 or 6 games of the season (not his fault...Kyle Cook was awful and he couldn't step into throws!). Truth be told I like Dalton too. But I think there are some very valid concerns about his game...and I think it's okay to admit that.
I answered that question btw. His accuracy over 20 yards isn't as bad as you say imo. We just agree to disagree there. What you see as valid concern, I don't. Dalton is good and getting better. There's more evidence to support that notion than not. I don't get why ppl blame Dalton for good defenses being able to stuff our offense. How do you think the QB is going to look when that happens, not good and it's not necessarily his fault he doesn't look good either. One dimensional one weapon offenses get handled by the better defenses almost regardless of who the QB is.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27471

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
1. I'm not the one trying to polish the turd that is Dalton's accuracy over 20 yards and his playoff appearance v. the Texans. It's funny bc I've asked the question like five times in this thread 2. 'what do you specifically think Dalton does better than CK?' Corey was the only one who answered (disagree with his answer but at least he responded). Most people sidestepped and said 3. 'if you put Dalton on the niners he'd be better than CK' which is just effin' dumb. So I answered my own question. To answer your question, yes, I think Dalton is very good in the redzone. Although statistically better I'd take CK because he's a dual threat and I think 4. he has far superior skills throwing the rock. So I think we'll see those stats shift over time. It does get annoying though that no one can seem to put any blame on Dalton for anything. 5. Texans game...not his fault (it was the OC that made him stink up the joint and look confused!). Last 5 or 6 games of the season (not his fault...Kyle Cook was awful and he couldn't step into throws!). Truth be told I like Dalton too. But I think there are some very valid concerns about his game...and I think it's okay to admit that.
1. Do me a favor and look up some QB's completion numbers on passes on 20+ yard throws. Believe it or not, Alex Smith led the league with a 47.1% completion rate on passes over 20 yards this season. That's just throws that traveled 20 yards or more. No catch and run stuff. Dalton was poor this year with a 25% rate, but last year he was in the top 5 with a 42.9% completion rate. So obviously he can make those throws. Now you need to ask yourself why his rate dropped so much this season.

2. I think CK has a better arm and is obviously a better athlete. I disagree on accuracy. If you give Andy the time that CK gets on a regular basis, Andy is extremely accurate (on all throws). I also like his leadership and maturity better. The bicep kissing stuff is lame.

3. Why is it effin dumb? Do you think our team is equal to the 49ers?

4. See #2. CK has a better arm, but when Dalton has time and receivers are open, he distributes the ball extremely well with accuracy.

5. You act as if people are making stuff up. It's proven fact that Jay phased AJ out of the game plan in the 1st half of the Texans game. It's also fact that Gresham dropped what...3 passes in the first half? Is that Dalton's fault? They came out in the 2nd half and Dalton threw for 124 yards. As for Cook/Robinson, the difference was obvious. You didn't see us giving up sacks in bunches after he came back? Did you see Watt stunt to the inside and beat Cook in the playoff game? Also, the difference was obvious when Sanu went down as well. Andy hit Sanu with 4 TDs in 3 games.

---

Contrary to what some think, I don't think Andy is flawless. I think he needs to settle down and deal with pressure a little better. The main reason I stick up for Andy so much is because the level of criticism is ridiculous. He's not a bum, he's not Mark Sanchez, and I think we can win a SB with him. It's lazy to just sit there and blindly blame the QB and ignore that we went through 4 starting WRs and 3 Centers this season. Also, Gruden's playbook left much to be desired. When you look at all the great QBs, they all have multiple WR's, TE's and RB's that catch the football. We have AJ Green and an inconsistent TE. It's not enough, plain and simple.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 02-06-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 7479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
1. Do me a favor and look up some QB's completion numbers on passes on 20+ yard throws. Believe it or not, Alex Smith led the league with a 47.1% completion rate on passes over 20 yards this season. That's just throws that traveled 20 yards or more. No catch and run stuff. Dalton was poor this year with a 25% rate, but last year he was in the top 5 with a 42.9% completion rate. So obviously he can make those throws. Now you need to ask yourself why his rate dropped so much this season.

2. I think CK has a better arm and is obviously a better athlete. I disagree on accuracy. If you give Andy the time that CK gets on a regular basis, Andy is extremely accurate (on all throws). I also like his leadership and maturity better. The bicep kissing stuff is lame.

4. See #2. CK has a better arm, but when Dalton has time and receivers are open, he distributes the ball extremely well with accuracy.

5. You act as if people are making stuff up. It's proven fact that Jay phased AJ out of the game plan in the 1st half of the Texans game. It's also fact that Gresham dropped what...3 passes in the first half? Is that Dalton's fault? They came out in the 2nd half and Dalton threw for 124 yards. As for Cook/Robinson, the difference was obvious. You didn't see us giving up sacks in bunches after he came back? Did you see Watt stunt to the inside and beat Cook in the playoff game? Also, the difference was obvious when Sanu went down as well. Andy hit Sanu with 4 TDs in 3 games.

---

Contrary to what some think, I don't think Andy is flawless. I think he needs to settle down and deal with pressure a little better. The main reason I stick up for Andy so much is because the level of criticism is ridiculous. He's not a bum, he's not Mark Sanchez, and I think we can win a SB with him. It's lazy to just sit there and blindly blame the QB and ignore that we went through 4 starting WRs and 3 Centers this season. Also, Gruden's playbook left much to be desired. When you look at all the great QBs, they all have multiple WR's, TE's and RB's that catch the football. We have AJ Green and an inconsistent TE. It's not enough, plain and simple.
Excellent post, Shake!

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

---

Good post. Allow me to retort....

1. In terms of down the field accuracy Dalton was very poor this year. Personally, I think the completion percentages can be misleading due to a multitude of factors (sample size, throws that were actually good but not completed, etc.). As I said earlier, I thought Dalton threw the ball very well v. Pitt but had a poor completion %. However, he put the ball in the tight window where it needed to go (for the most part) and gave his WR's a chance to make a play. I thought he played big that game and was very pleased with the performance in spite of the atrocious stats.

That being said, in terms of thoughtful statistical analysis Pro Football Focus is the best in the biz, wouldn't you agree. They ranked Dalton overall the 25th best QB in the league this year.

2. I agree that bicep kissing is stupid. However, you have to admit that CK makes some big time throws. Has in every game. Consistently hits the tight windows that separate the average from the great. I think in every aspect as a pure passer he is better. Agree to disagree.

3. Of course the niners are better...but the question posed was 'what do you think Dalton does better than CK or where is he superior in his skill set' The most common answer was that Dalton (if able to helm the niners) would've been better than CK who I think we can all admit was just sensational. Dumb argument. Plus, as someone else pointed out, the niners were very low in total offense with the same personell so it's not like they're some offensive juggernaut.

5. I think you're being misleading. You're acting like Dalton was good v. the Texans outside of the Gresham drops. He was awful. Admit it. There was nothing that he did well that game. It was atrocious. I think he's better than that...but on the biggest stage he played his worst football. In terms of Cook and the WR's, I think every QB in the NFL has a weak link on the O-line and woudl like to have more talent at WR. Regardless I don't think Dalton threw the ball well over the final stretch with the exception of Pitt. I think every NFL QB has some adversity that they'll need to deal with. Circumstances will never be ideal...but leaders need to step up when the going gets rough...plus I just hate excuses.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Thought this was interesting.

Comments from a former Defensive Player of the Year about Kaepernick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-i-was-wrong/
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post

lol @ all the crybaby Ravens fans posting in there "Well we won the SB why dont we get respect?"

If we win a SB I Wont give a CARE what anybody has to say about us.lolol

My onl response will be "Well who won the superbowl?"

Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
lol @ all the crybaby Ravens fans posting in there "Well we won the SB why dont we get respect?"

If we win a SB I Wont give a CARE what anybody has to say about us.lolol

My onl response will be "Well who won the superbowl?"
But the sad thing is I know if we ever won it wed have 100x MORE fans begging for ppl to respect us now so I cant even front

Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17505

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post

Comments from around America within this article.

helloanybodyhome says:Feb 9, 2013 7:49 AM
Everyone who watched the Super Bowl had to come away impressed with Kaepernick.
—————————

stewart09 says:Feb 9, 2013 9:59 AM
its still astonishing that the bengals picked dalton over Kaepernick

bigbenownsthenfl says:Feb 9, 2013 7:56 AM
Wow.. then suggs must idolize big Ben! Big Ben still perfect in playoffs against luckimore! You still haven’t gone through Pittsburgh in playoffs to get there, but Pittsburgh went through and over you! Cheers!

yinzer7 says:Feb 9, 2013 8:24 AM
Pittsburgh would have to be in the playoffs for Baltimore to go through them. Or in the case of last year, get past Tim Tebow. BTW, how’s Lamar Woodley?

getyourownname says:Feb 9, 2013 8:31 AM
True that the Ravens did not go through Pittsburgh. Or NYJ, either.
It’s not possible to go through a team that isn’t good enough to make the playoffs.
Steeler fans should start focuing on being able to beat Cincy and Cleveland.

jimiinpa says:Feb 9, 2013 8:35 AM
why are steelers fans still popping off? i would be embarrased with an 8-8 record . crawl back to your empty steel mills, and btw 6 rings and a R A P I S T…stay classy

49ersandshivabowl says:Feb 9, 2013 9:59 AM
It IS laughable, though, to read all the Steeler vitriol being thrown at the Ravens. No well-informed Steeler fan would ever talk smack at this juncture of events when the totality of the Steeler defense is a geriatric M******H* unit going all the way back to the loss to the Broncos where the whole nation saw how quickly they had aged. That particular Steel-curtain has become significantly rusted out and weathered. And let’s not talk about the mess the offensive line is in too.
TRUE fans know when to sit down, be quiet, take your lumps as they come and then cheer and jeer when valid circumstances avail themselves. Like it or not THIS is the Ravens time and it will be ALL off-season. No number of Lombardi trophies, whether 6 or 0 will take that away. S u c k it up.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 02-09-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Kaepernick now 4-1 in the playoffs. He's had a Rating over 87 in 4 of those games.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2106

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Kaepernick now 4-1 in the playoffs. He's had a Rating over 87 in 4 of those games.
You don't see a difference in what CK is asked to do and what AD is asked to do? CK has 58 attempts to Dalton's 51, 7 more in an extra game. In 5 games CK averages 27 attempts a game AD is over 40 a game. Believe me AD wouldn't be asked near what he is here if he was in SF and CK would struggle if he had on his plate what AD does. People talk about our weapons but look at the 49ers, Boldin is twice the player AJ is in the playoffs, Crabtree is better than Jones, Davis is better than Eifert and Gresh, their run game is on another level, best LT and LG in the NFL top 5 C, RG and RT. Their defense is better than ours in the playoffs by far. People act like CK took over a 4-12 team and turned them around. He took over a 13-3 team with Alex Smith and made them 12-4. People act like we have such a great roster, what we have is potential, what they have is a well established roster of players who are actually accomplished. Would be nice to have that for a 3rd year QB to lean on.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorobredbullies View Post
You don't see a difference in what CK is asked to do and what AD is asked to do? CK has 58 attempts to Dalton's 51, 7 more in an extra game. In 5 games CK averages 27 attempts a game AD is over 40 a game. Believe me AD wouldn't be asked near what he is here if he was in SF and CK would struggle if he had on his plate what AD does. People talk about our weapons but look at the 49ers, Boldin is twice the player AJ is in the playoffs, Crabtree is better than Jones, Davis is better than Eifert and Gresh, their run game is on another level, best LT and LG in the NFL top 5 C, RG and RT. Their defense is better than ours in the playoffs by far. People act like CK took over a 4-12 team and turned them around. He took over a 13-3 team with Alex Smith and made them 12-4. People act like we have such a great roster, what we have is potential, what they have is a well established roster of players who are actually accomplished. Would be nice to have that for a 3rd year QB to lean on.

Wow, so you think you know more then the 49ers coach and management when they decided to start Colin over Alex???..

BTW, Alex Smith playing golf.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post

Exactly Haubaugh's caddy went 13-3 with the 9ers and really should have beat the Giants the year before last
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Exactly Haubaugh's caddy went 13-3 with the 9ers and really should have beat the Giants the year before last
We really should have beaten the 49ers in each SB loss.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy from New Haven View Post
before any one comments can I just say you are so awesome with you anaysis and you will not repsond the the very thread you started.

Further more can I also say why didn't you post the same thread with RG3? Oh wait he blew out his knee.
different Draft classes maybe?

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Its a very well observed fact..

No one wearing black and orange show'd up for that playoff game.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Default Re: Kaepernick? (1 pick after Dalton)...

BTW, I hate the 49ers and I was rooting against them this week and next week.

I am also not a Panther fan, but I hate when I see obvious bias.

The haters had a dilemma this game root for Cam or Colin. I guess NFL and the big bad media did not want a small market team[Carolina] to win the game.

BTW, Alex Smith is playing golf now.

BTW, that excuse about Alex Smith being better then Colin is out the window now also.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We really should have beaten the 49ers in each SB loss.
If we had a muffed punt in the 4th and then in OT that cost us the game I might agree with.you.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

BTW, I hate the 49ers and I was rooting against them this week and next week.

I am also not a Panther fan, but I hate when I see obvious bias.

The haters had a dilemma this game root for Cam or Colin. I guess NFL and the big bad media did not want a small market team[Carolina] to win the game.

BTW, that excuse about Alex Smith being better then Colin is out the window now also.
Colin does run better than Alex smith

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3194

This is too long to re-read. Dalton has played 48 games, not including playoffs, and Kaepernick has played 32, of which only 23 he started. Basically Andy had to be ready from the get go.

After 3 years, the one area i wish Andy could improve on, it would be int's. In 48 games, he's thrown 49. Got to give Kaepernick the edge here. Again in his 32 games played, 23 started, he's only thrown 11.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 221

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=120299
Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You don't think having to pass 51 times had to do in part to Dalton's 3 turnovers and falling behind?

The Bengals going into the game didn't plan on Dalton throwing it 50+ times. If we didn't go -4 in turnovers he's looking at 30 throws or so.

And come on...our skill players on paper are better than the 49ers everywhere except at RB.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You don't think having to pass 51 times had to do in part to Dalton's 3 turnovers and falling behind?

The Bengals going into the game didn't plan on Dalton throwing it 50+ times. If we didn't go -4 in turnovers he's looking at 30 throws or so.

And come on...our skill players on paper are better than the 49ers everywhere except at RB.
The game plan was trashed once SD started blitzing. Gruden became an 8 year old playing manning he got pressured and his only answer was to throw the ball more. Cam threw the ball only 25 times and they were just as behind as we were from about the same point in the game.

Would you take Boldin over AJ in the playoffs?

Would you take Jones or Crabtree?

Vernon Davis or Greshem?

Answer those real honestly, paper means very little I want who's better on the field.

Think about their Oline, Whit is our best lineman by far, he might not even be able to start on the 49ers line. Our interior line couldn't even make their roster.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Pity Dalton couldn't compensate by taking off and running for 181 yards like Kaepernick did tonight.
That's not how Gruden's playbook works. Stick to the plan, absolutely no deviation or improvisation allowed.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13424

Quote:
The 49ers don't have a receiver as good as AJ Green.
The 49ers are far superior at the talent positions:

OL = SF
WR's - Crabtree and Bolden - SF
RB - SF - Gore, Hunter and James
TE - SF Davis is better than 2 of our TE's combined

I like Colin, but to say his veteran proven group is not better than ours right now is false and way off because not even close.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones