Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5624
Default Re: 55 million in cap space!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
Not bad....all depends on what they spend in FA...could spend as little as 32 mil and as much as 55 mil
Not going to sign 2 kickers...they will make a choice...pay them...and go from there
Have to sign Sims...bigger need than you think

3 big contracts...Andre (5-6 m)...MJ (7-8 M)...extend Geno (7-8) mil....19 million right there

all your other players 20 or so at league minimum (around 700k) will be another 14 million...that is at league minimum

there is 33 million spent already...not all these players are going to get league min if we want them

2 of the 3 FA's aren't high dollar positions. The LB might be, but we can cut Allen and instead of picking up Thomas Howard that should cover that money. Then again, there's going to be more players cut soon (because of teams over salary cap) so FA lists could change soon.

The expensive positions will have to be acquired thru the draft.

All in all I think I spent about 40-43 mil (depends on cutting Allen or not) which would leave us in good shape for Rookies. The guys that matters got the good contracts, and I'm hoping that Wheeler can be pried away from Oak since they are way over cap. If we jump fast enough, they might not have enough time to figure out what they are going to do out there with their owner/GM/HC all about a year into their jobs.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
2 of the 3 FA's aren't high dollar positions. The LB might be, but we can cut Allen and instead of picking up Thomas Howard that should cover that money. Then again, there's going to be more players cut soon (because of teams over salary cap) so FA lists could change soon.

The expensive positions will have to be acquired thru the draft.

All in all I think I spent about 40-43 mil (depends on cutting Allen or not) which would leave us in good shape for Rookies. The guys that matters got the good contracts, and I'm hoping that Wheeler can be pried away from Oak since they are way over cap. If we jump fast enough, they might not have enough time to figure out what they are going to do out there with their owner/GM/HC all about a year into their jobs.
Not bringing Howard back would make very little sense.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5624

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
At this point in time, we have no idea how his ACL is going to be. So at this point in time, you are making a big assumption that he comes back ready to roll in time for training camp. Also, in my plans, I will be drafting a LB to replace him. Howard most likely will not get signed by a team early, he will get signed after the draft for a team that didn't fill a need.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6314

Well, figure that Burflict is the new MLB (Hobson seems to be saying it). If Howard comes back 100% that's one OLB - we still need one. If he is not ready we need two. Going on the idea that being proactive in Free Agency can help the draft we should aggressively pursue the best OLB in Free Agency. If we can land them then we can draft knowing we either need 1 or 0 OLBs to start.

If we came out of Free Agency with said LB (and one that is a starter in their prime not a journeyman) and a veteran possession receiver I would call it success.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13683
Default Re: People Do Realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
Andre was one of the best RT in football last year and was screwed out of big money in his rookie contract because of himself being hurt...he lost millions...his agent will be looking for a BIG pay day...

MJ ...I see staying but if the Bengals offer him 5 or 6 mill and some other team offers 9 he is gone...guaranteed

WR 2...I like Sanu and believe he will be our 2 receiver but what if his injury flares up again? Just using the same excuse you did for Dre.

RB...name the last RB drafted by the Bengals that was worth a damn...I will.. Rudi Johnson and he has been gone for many years and was just decent because of a great OL

Geathers, Howard, Gilberry....I will take Gilberry over Geathers and Howard as a back up coming off a torn ACL (what if his injury flares up again?)

that excuse is starting get old huh?

I have not looked...and there may be...tell me another team that has a #1 CB (Leon)...a 2nd year 1st round draft pick (Dre) and a FA signee that is going to get #1 money (one of your guys) at the CB position

Here is another example...not sure of the years but basically we had Torey James and Joseph and then we drafted Hall the next year...Joseph hurts his foot and is put on IR...coming into the next season did we go out and sign another number 1 CB because Joseph "might" not come back? No..we counted on our 1st round pick from the previous year (Hall) and Joseph to be back and healthy and start...everyone questioned Joseph's durabiity...saying he was a bust ...blah blah blah....not a perfect example but just an example of not throwing money at a position that you know you have covered or at least should be covered according to the personnel that is on your roster....

we have one starting caliber LBer on our roster (Burfict)...
we have one starting caliber Safety on our roster (Nelson)...
we have no starting caliber RT on our roster if Andre leaves
we have one starting caliber DE if we do not sign MJ (Dunlap)

you said that Dre is an unproven commodity
Sanu is unproven at WR 2 just as much as Dre is at CB
Any drafted player will be an unproven commodity

Also...I may be wrong here but from my understanding...Zimmer's defense is based on the following...corners play man to man but not bump and run...he depends on the corners to not get beat down field but cover everything in front of them in hopes the pressure from the DL can get there first causing the QB to hurry his pass or make an errant throw...this also allows the safety to play the middle of the field in coverage....again I am no defensive guru but even when Hall and Joseph were here I rarely remember any jamming at the line or bump and run type of play...again I may be wrong but I am pretty sure of my memory
In today's world and post new CBA, Andre was over paid in his first contract. A 6th pick in the draft today will make 2 to 3 million less a year on today's NFL. So, Andre was never screwed on his initial deal, but paid fairly based on where he slotted. The Bengals just chose not to exercise an option to extend the original deal because he had been out of shape and often injured his 1st 2 years in the league.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones

Last edited by Luvnit2; 02-10-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 466

Id spend some cash on Alex Smith. Bemch the ginger
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24327

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I wouldn't bank on him coming back just yet. Who knows what kind of shape he'll be in when FA begins? We hear positive things, but talk is cheap.

Do I believe he comes back and starts if he's healthy? Sure. I'd welcome that outcome. However, if the end of April comes and his status is relatively unclear, then I draft an OLB on day 1 or 2 to hedge against the worst possible outcome.

Not bringing back a healthy Howard would make very little sense, yes. Assuming that he's going to be healthy makes less.