Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955
Default Re: Is Brown at 53 unrealistic now?

I'm starting to warm up to Brown. Recently, I found some different games other than Miami or the Fiesta Bowl, and he looks excellent on his feet, covering 52 yards side-to-side, and taking on and shedding blocks--heck, he's shown it all except blitz and I'm fine with that. I could see him go to Texas or Baltimore late 1st based on need.

I would project him as our WILL, but think he could do fine at MLB for us. I wouldn't throw our 21st at him at this time, however. But I'm definitely warming up to the idea if he's there at 37.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321
bengals Re: Is Brown at 53 unrealistic now?

Alright .....time to eat some crow. Pass the salt please.

This discussion made me really start researching Mr.Arthur Brown Jr. I came away from this research with a new appreciation of his skillset. His range is absolutely incredible. If he is on the board at 37 then he absolutely has to be a consideration.

I will say I was not impressed with his game against Texas Tech (int return aside) but I also hate to see players crucified for single games. I was impressed with his ability to shed blocks for his size. I think he needs to add about 5-10 lbs of muscle mass at the next level but I am impressed with his abilities.

In watching him I had to start wondering about a selection of Brown at 37 and a realignment of our LB corp. With the range of Brown and his speed and cover skills. His ability to run a play down from the backside. I look at him and he screams play making WLB.

This would facilitate what I think is the absolutely natural move of Burfict inside. MLB is where Burfict should be and I have no doubt about it. It is the position he was built to play. His down hill and attacking style. His read and recognition ability and his warrior mentality making it a must.

That leads us to SLB. I have not been bashful about my respect for Thomas Howard and what he has brought in terms of playmaking ability and consistency to the LB corp. We know Howard is a very sound tackler and has very good cover skills. He seems to always be in the proper position and is an effort player. So I would be curious as to what opinions would be in having Howard at the SLB position?

At 6'3" 245 he certainly has the size for the position. He has shown the ability to shed blockers and stay with the play and there is no doubt he can cover TEs. I think his ability to blitz from the edge is underrated. I guess what I am saying is I really see no downside to it.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321
bengals Re: Is Brown at 53 unrealistic now?

To add to my previous post I feel Brown is a better prospect at LB than Khaseem Greene. Brown seems to show a better natural ability to defeat blocks especially in the running game. It appears that he just takes better angles in avoiding the obvious blocker and many times it looks like Greene runs right into the block allowing himself to be engulfed by physically larger players.

For what it is worth.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Alright .....time to eat some crow. Pass the salt please.

This discussion made me really start researching Mr.Arthur Brown Jr. I came away from this research with a new appreciation of his skillset. His range is absolutely incredible. If he is on the board at 37 then he absolutely has to be a consideration.

I will say I was not impressed with his game against Texas Tech (int return aside) but I also hate to see players crucified for single games. I was impressed with his ability to shed blocks for his size. I think he needs to add about 5-10 lbs of muscle mass at the next level but I am impressed with his abilities.

In watching him I had to start wondering about a selection of Brown at 37 and a realignment of our LB corp. With the range of Brown and his speed and cover skills. His ability to run a play down from the backside. I look at him and he screams play making WLB.

This would facilitate what I think is the absolutely natural move of Burfict inside. MLB is where Burfict should be and I have no doubt about it. It is the position he was built to play. His down hill and attacking style. His read and recognition ability and his warrior mentality making it a must.

That leads us to SLB. I have not been bashful about my respect for Thomas Howard and what he has brought in terms of playmaking ability and consistency to the LB corp. We know Howard is a very sound tackler and has very good cover skills. He seems to always be in the proper position and is an effort player. So I would be curious as to what opinions would be in having Howard at the SLB position?

At 6'3" 245 he certainly has the size for the position. He has shown the ability to shed blockers and stay with the play and there is no doubt he can cover TEs. I think his ability to blitz from the edge is underrated. I guess what I am saying is I really see no downside to it.
Good post. I think more will do this, even being ranked high KSU doesn't get that national exposure. With that said A. Browns stats don't jump out, but when you watch him play he jumps out.
To reference the TT game, I believe that was the game he rolled his ankle in the first quarter, I couldn't believe he still kept playing.
I still don't know what his best position will be though I do think he can WLB, one thing is for sure he will be a ST stud, IMO and will add LB speed to whatever team he goes to.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20732

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Good post. I think more will do this, even being ranked high KSU doesn't get that national exposure. With that said A. Browns stats don't jump out, but when you watch him play he jumps out.
To reference the TT game, I believe that was the game he rolled his ankle in the first quarter, I couldn't believe he still kept playing.
I still don't know what his best position will be though I do think he can WLB, one thing is for sure he will be a ST stud, IMO and will add LB speed to whatever team he goes to.
Seems like with LB's now, speed is getting more and more important and size is something you just have to live with and learn how to overcome. A lot of guys have played outstanding LB weighing less than 240. Speed and quick burst can beat size and power with angles and acceleration. The size issue is overrated, imo. I think he'll be a force at the WILL for somebody and I hope it'll be for us.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720

I'd take him at 37 in a nano-second. I think he could play SAM. Then we can take Greene with 53 and have the best trio of young LBs this side of the 49ers.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Seems like with LB's now, speed is getting more and more important and size is something you just have to live with and learn how to overcome. A lot of guys have played outstanding LB weighing less than 240. Speed and quick burst can beat size and power with angles and acceleration. The size issue is overrated, imo. I think he'll be a force at the WILL for somebody and I hope it'll be for us.
Yes and our LB's were lacking in the speed area this year. The only size issue will be how well he will hold up, a big part of his game is using his shoulder to take on a block while keeping an arm free. At WLB though he might not have to do that as much.

It's going to be interesting how it all shakes out, I'll admit, it's exciting seeing a KSU player being talked about in the 1st two rounds.

One guy who came out of KSU with size concerns has had a pretty good career and that's D. Sproles. I couldn't understand when he was coming out why they were questioning his size when Snyder ran him into the ground and he kept getting up.

This team hab no maaahbulls!

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 02-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 215

Brown might be the first backer off the board he could also fall to late second it's hard to get a handle on all the backers this year. Brown looks to be the most complete but lacks ideal size. Ogletree has the size, speed, and athletism to be a top 10 pick but lacks polish. Te'o looked to have it all but we all know that story. Jarvis Jones was another guy who looked to have it all but after an injury he could slide a bit.