Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41137
Default Parental Advice

Some of you may remember the thread I started about vaccinations for little ones as I have one on the way.

Well, today is the big day. We go to the hospital tonight to get induced.

So here is my question. What advice would you give to a newbie with fatherhood. The things you wish people had told you. Things you wish you wouldn't have done, should have done.

I think you get the idea.

PS. If he comes before Sunday, that will just be one more superbowl that he will be alive where the Bengals will never play....ouch. (just kidding...I hope )
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4100
Default Re: Parental Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
Some of you may remember the thread I started about vaccinations for little ones as I have one on the way.

So here is my question. What advice would you give to a newbie with fatherhood. The things you wish people had told you. Things you wish you wouldn't have done, should have done.

PS. If he comes before Sunday, that will just be one more superbowl that he will be alive where the Bengals will never play....ouch. (just kidding...I hope )
Hope everything goes just how you pictured it!

My only advice with children is, there is never too many pictures or film.

Early CONGRATS!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Spicyweiner View Post
Hope everything goes just how you pictured it!

My only advice with children is, there is never too many pictures or film.

Early CONGRATS!
Edit:

Unless its something resembling Helldog's old sig!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46779

Pay close attention to your wife. Everyone concentrates so much on the baby that sometimes the mother has soem problems without anyone noticing.

My wife suffered from eclampsia and had to go back in the hospital a few days after our second baby was born. When we look back at photos taken it is clear that she is very puffy and retaining fluid, but at the time we didn't notice it. Post partem depression is also a very serious problem, and women are usually unwilling to say they feel down when everyone is telling them this is the greatest thing that ever happened to her.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Pay close attention to your wife. Everyone concentrates so much on the baby that sometimes the mother has soem problems without anyone noticing.

My wife suffered from eclampsia and had to go back in the hospital a few days after our second baby was born. When we look back at photos taken it is clear that she is very puffy and retaining fluid, but at the time we didn't notice it. Post partem depression is also a very serious problem, and women are usually unwilling to say they feel down when everyone is telling them this is the greatest thing that ever happened to her.
True!
Sometimes it is overlooked what Mom just went through.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Quote:
True!
Sometimes it is overlooked what Mom just went through.
Very good points, I will make sure she is doing ok.

By the way, I forgot to mention its a boy.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3536

Congrats on your child. Children fill a spot in your heart that nothing else can. The BEST advice I can give you is to earn your childs respect at a young age. When it comes time to punish, use this like a weapon...meaning don't ever pull it out unless you plan to use it as children will call your bluff in a second. Also..before disciplining your child, take a few minutes to council your child....explain whats going to happen...why its going to happen and how he/she can prevent it from happening again. Those few minutes of counciling followed up by your selected punishment <my wife handled that part with our son beautifully, and we only had to spank him 2 or 3 times between the ages of 3-4> will do wonders. He/she will respect you more as they get older and they wont even know why. Its a terrible but neccesary part of bieng a parent. Flash forward 18 years..my son is in college, the Army reserves and is studying to be a physical therapist. Congrats again and I wish you all the sucess and joy of parenthood.

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11990

When he comes out don't spike him like an endzone celebration.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
When he comes out don't spike him like an endzone celebration.

I must say. I definitely didnt see that one coming
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
Congrats on your child. Children fill a spot in your heart that nothing else can. The BEST advice I can give you is to earn your childs respect at a young age. When it comes time to punish, use this like a weapon...meaning don't ever pull it out unless you plan to use it as children will call your bluff in a second. Also..before disciplining your child, take a few minutes to council your child....explain whats going to happen...why its going to happen and how he/she can prevent it from happening again. Those few minutes of counciling followed up by your selected punishment <my wife handled that part with our son beautifully, and we only had to spank him 2 or 3 times between the ages of 3-4> will do wonders. He/she will respect you more as they get older and they wont even know why. Its a terrible but neccesary part of bieng a parent. Flash forward 18 years..my son is in college, the Army reserves and is studying to be a physical therapist. Congrats again and I wish you all the sucess and joy of parenthood.
Nice reply and good advice. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27504

Quote:

Make sure what you are giving your kid is appropriate for their age. To few parents actually take the time to care.

Learn to Say NO to your child they need to hear it because life will tell it to them alot.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46850

In addition to Fred's advice, just enjoy it, especially these first few days. You're going to be tired and nervous and all that other stuff, but the first few weeks and months are some of the best. It's ok to tell people thanks for stopping by, but you need some time with just you guys.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6495

Get ready for a lot of lost sleep...taking turns each night getting up so at least one of you gets a good nights sleep every other night is advisable.

Always keep a spit rag handy.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7048

Don't be afraid to grab the babies ankles to lift him/her up to change a diaper, you aren't going to break him/her.

Never let the child fall asleep on your chest.

Don't pick the child up right away if he/she starts to fuss a little.

Try to stay out of the babies face.

Black and white toys are best for newborns.

Sing to your child all the time.

Always tell your child "I LOVE YOU".

Don't talk to your child in a baby or funny voice. Pronounce your words clearly and let your child see your mouth when you talk. After about 2 weeks, you will notice your child start to mimic you. Open and close your hand in front of the child and eventually, your child will start doing it too. Stick your tongue out and your child will start too as well.

Babies are sponges and are constantly learning. They watch and see everything that you do and will mimic you.

Do not smoke cigarettes in front of your child, they don't know you're smoking and think you are eating the cigarette and will want to eat one too. This is very dangerous and can make your child very sick or cause death.

Baby proof your home. Outlet covers, gates, latches on doors and drawers, get rid of any furniture with sharp corners or edges.

Too many toys will overwhelm your child and will get bored with them quickly.

I'm sure I can think of more stuff. Congratulations on your first and enjoy every minute of it. My children grew up so damn fast and I lost a lot in that accident I was in. Now, I have a grand daughter and she is the light in my world. It's crazy how much you can love another person. You will love your wife even more as you watch her with your child and vice versa. But your whole life will now revolve around this child and you won't want it any other way. The cuts, bruises, broken bones, they all come and go and your heart will break every time your child cries. Don't miss a single second of any of it.

Don't ever lose your temper with your child. They will say things things that will hurt you just to hurt you, don't believe it because they really don't mean it. If your child ever says, "I Hate You!!!", just say, "That's ok, I love you more today, more this very second than I did a second ago". When your child does something wrong or dangerous, don't snatch them up and yell and scream, explain to them what could happen or why they shouldn't do what they did.

Just love your child with all your heart and soul.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
VIP Gold Member

There must be a bunch of dead beats on this board

Our son and newest Bengals fan is doing great. He doesn't cry when he is content, which has been awesome so far. He barely even cries with dirty diapers. He sure does tell us when he is hungry though.

This has really helped with getting enough sleep for my wife and I.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46779

Where is the photo?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Where is the photo?
I will have to get one of me holding him soon. Here is probably the best one I have of just him without someone else holding him.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleeping.jpg (48.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Damn, babies are adorable!
Congrats man!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Damn, babies are adorable!
Congrats man!
Yeah, I was a little worried as everyone says I look like that goofy looking quarterback for the Steelers. I've literally had people ask if I am his cousin. I wanted to punch him in the face

Everyone does say the profile looks like me, but I think he has more of mommy's attributes. Her forehead, eyes mouth and chin.

He has been a really good baby so far. He is having a little bit of a gas issue that is causing him discomfort and my wife is freaking out that he hasn't pooped in 2 days. Other than that, everything is going great.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8837

Quote:

i wish i would have pulled out
4th Dri Archer RB
5th Morgan Breslin LB
6th Andrew Jackson LB
6th Isaiah Crowell RB
7th Zach Moore DE
7th Zac Kerin C
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Charles Leno G
UDFA AC Leonard TE
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2278

Don't be in a hurry for them to hit milestones like crawling, walking, talking. I know we were always working towards those things and always said oh I can't wait until....fill in the blank.

I look back and I miss the little things like when my kids could only lay in one spot. They were so dependent. I know it's cliche but they grow up so fast. Enjoy every last second of it. Even the things that are so draining. Last but not least be yourself and don't be afraid to raise your kids the way you see fit. I like advice but I see my kids as mini me's and each one will learn are family values as I see fit.

Best part of being a new parent is getting to see a new world through their eyes. Getting to share with all their first times.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16542

Put your kid on a schedule, feeding, sleep, play, etc and stick to it or your life will be hell. Once the kid is in the crib. Don't get him out. Crying to sleep is OK.

When they are out with you and a bit older establish early it is not about them. Don;t be "that" parent who doesn;t control their kids.