Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5203
Default Great scouting report: Alec Ogletree

I think this is one of the best scouting reports on Ogletree I have seen. I really don't disagree with anything they have to say about him. The reviewer doesn't sugar coat or attack, just relays good info. One thing I really like is that the scouting report understands that Ogletree has only played LB for 2 years and has picked up enough already to be a day 1 pick and that his ceiling is very high. One thing that gets overlooked a lot, I feel, is Ogletree's physicality. He has no fear in sticking his nose into the chest of any one. Given his raw technique and still light frame he has had mixed results of course. But time in the weight room and coaching will fix those issues. You can't teach the want to part that he clearly has. So while he does look like an ideal WLB, with perhaps a year or 2 under Zimmer's tutelage and our weight room I have no doubt he could emerge as a solid SLB.

Quote:
Prospect: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
Height: 6’3″
Weight: 234
Grade: 7.45 (Grading Scale)

Scouting Report:

Athleticism:
+Adequate height and superb length for the position, features lanky arms.
+Strength is still developing, sports a chiseled frame.
+Elite speed for a linebacker, chases people down from behind with ease.
+Covers a lot of ground, accelerates quickly and changes direction fluidly.
+Fluid hips, moves well in space.
+Changes direction, both north/south and east/west, with ease.
+Excellent leaper, explosive, sudden athlete.
-Needs to add five to ten pounds to compete as a middle linebacker.
-May be confined to the weakside “Will” linebacker position due to lack of bulk.

Run Defense
+Very physical tackler, loves to hit the ball-carrier – needs to stay on his feet more though.
+Adept at picking his way through traffic cleanly and getting to the ball.
+Side steps would be blockers with ease, explosive laterally.
+Improved over the last year taking on pulling linemen, sets the edge much better than in the past.
-Needs to use his hands more to fend off would-be blockers.
-Occasionally takes poor angles and false steps that his speed won’t be able to cover up in the NFL.
-Can still improve his ability to shed blocks and take on lead blockers.
-Questionable discipline with his run fits.

Pass Rush / Blitz
+Has the flexibility to speed rush around the edge, although gets a bit high at times.
+Effective “green dog” blitzer, transitions from drop to rush quickly.
-Lacks effective counters and needs to develop a power move to complement his speed.
-Looks like he confused his blitzing assignment at times, ended up in his teammates way.

Coverage
+His skills as a former safety are evident here.
+Not phased by play-action, able to drop in zone and still explode downhill to the ball carrier if needed.
+Reads the quarterback’s eyes very well, able to jump a lot of routes.
+High-points the ball in zone, length and leaping ability a huge plus here.
+Able to recognize screen and slip through blocks to the receiver.
+Closes quickly, disrupts a lot of catches by getting a hand in front.
-Allows tight ends to cross his face too easily, needs to be more effective re-routing.
-Doesn’t have great hands, left some interceptions on the field.

Intangibles/Intelligence:
+Improving football instincts, really caught on at the end of his career at Georgia.
-Sat out the beginning of his junior season due to a team rules violation.
-Arrested in 2010 for misdemeanor theft.

Overall:

Ogletree looks like a prototypical 4-3 WLB to me. Let him run around blocks and pick his way through traffic, two things he does very well, and get to the ball-carrier. He has improved taking on blockers, but I don’t want him in a position where he has to do that each and every play. Put him in space and let his athleticism make plays.

He should be a three-down linebacker in the NFL, as his speed and change of direction abilities makes him ideally suited to play in “sub-packages”, which are increasingly becoming the “base” defense in the current NFL landscape. Ogletree’s ability to stay disciplined against the read-option and play-action gives him added value as well for teams in the NFC East and NFC West.

I listed Ogletree as a certain Top 100 player last May, but I think he has played himself into the top fifty prospects in the 2013 NFL Draft. If he performs well at the NFL Combine, both on the field and in the interview room, I don’t think the top twenty is out of reach for the former Georgia Bulldog.
from http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/...tml#more-23073

***Edit** bah wrong forum. mods please move to the draft forum. thanks
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 02-08-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22244
Default Re: Great scouting report: Alec Ogletree

Seems like downside was omitted or there really isn't much not to like about him.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48718

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Seems like downside was omitted or there really isn't much not to like about him.

I really like Ogletree, but if you look at the -s, they are paralelle with what we complain about with Rey...

On defending the run
On blitzing
On coverage
Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5628

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I really like Ogletree, but if you look at the -s, they are paralelle with what we complain about with Rey...

On defending the run
On blitzing
On coverage
WLB versus MLB....big difference
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

He worries me at the point of attack. yea he likes to hit but he isnt much of a hitter when it comes to poeple of his size or bigger. Thats my only concern. I dont want another weak linebacker. I want someone who can lay the hat consistantly...no matter who the ball carrier. Il take ogletree but his tackeling scares me i could care less what this scouting report says, although most of it i agree with. Ive seen damn near everyplay of ogletree this year. I want him to bring the lumber more. he is dragged alot on tackles.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

He will add 10-20 LBS over the next year, or two.
If he can still be that fast, and he should. Ogletree has a good chance of being special.

If he is there at 21 and is TBPA we should take him and know we have two LB positions filled with real talent for the next few years.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13487

Plus we have had tremendous success drafting Georgia players lately.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3534

Currently I'm on board with Ogletree being 'one' option at pick 21. He missed the 1st 4 games and still put up 112 tackles in 10 games. Finished the year with a solid bowl game....13 tackles, 1 sack.

Last edited by goalpost; 02-11-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Currently I'm on board with Ogletree being 'one' option at pick 21. He missed the 1st 4 games and still put up 112 tackles in 10 games. Finished the year with a solid bowl game....13 tackles, 1 sack.
he hops on for a ride when he tackles. i need to see him stronger at the point or no thanx at 21.