Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 926
Default Mike Leake 2013

Great news that Leake did file for arbitration and won......a salary of $3,000,000 for 2013.

A great season from Leake and the Cincinnati Reds will have to pay him more or fall back on their small town franchise woes and trade him.

Although the highlight of 2013, was Leake's start in game 3 of the wild card series, the Cincinnati Reds offer little as a permenant playoff team. as in, 25 games out by September as in 2011.

Trade Leake and be gone of the small town, losing franchise that is the Cincinnati Reds of the '90s and the '00s.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24451
Default Re: Mike Leake 2013

Mike Leake is garbage. His best asset might be his bat as a pinch hitter. Otherwise, he's the weak link in this rotation. if Chapman establishes himself as a starter, there will be little need for a bum like Leake in the Reds rotation. I'd almost rather see the team roll the dice with Corcino or Cingrani than have to endure Leake's nerve-racking unpredictability. Nothing but a weak-armed junkballer that is rarely able to put his pitches where he wants them.

You want larger media market? That's a riot. He's lucky he's not starting the season in Louisville.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Mike Leake is garbage. His best asset might be his bat as a pinch hitter. Otherwise, he's the weak link in this rotation. if Chapman establishes himself as a starter, there will be little need for a bum like Leake in the Reds rotation. I'd almost rather see the team roll the dice with Corcino or Cingrani than have to endure Leake's nerve-racking unpredictability. Nothing but a weak-armed junkballer that is rarely able to put his pitches where he wants them.

You want larger media market? That's a riot. He's lucky he's not starting the season in Louisville.
Sounds a lot like Arroyo his earlier years.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3267

He's only 25 and started 30 games last year. I still see value.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 685

not again

Thanks NashvilleBengalsFan for the sig.

Gone But Not Forgotten RIP Chris
12-17-09
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
thats what im saying... He had some brilliant games this past year and a few that got away from him. But i think for our team he also had the worse bat support....(as in the team scoring runs while he was pitching)

I know i should hate him because he stole from my work but that doesnt matter when it comes to pro sports and whats best for the team...

I wouldnt give up on him yet. I dont think Champman can handle a starters gig you saw what happened when he started wearing down on the closers role.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:

Well, atleast it's not the first time he's stolen $ from Cincinnati: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdcdRTjits (Mike Leake steals t-shirts from Macy's)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Great news that Leake did file for arbitration and won......a salary of $3,000,000 for 2013.

A great season from Leake and the Cincinnati Reds will have to pay him more or fall back on their small town franchise woes and trade him.

Although the highlight of 2013, was Leake's start in game 3 of the wild card series, the Cincinnati Reds offer little as a permenant playoff team. as in, 25 games out by September as in 2011.

Trade Leake and be gone of the small town, losing franchise that is the Cincinnati Reds of the '90s and the '00s.
You never have anything positive to say do you?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:

he started game 4, and lost, yet you speak of him like he's supposed to be the next cy young when really he isn't even be the 5th best pitcher in this rotation and you think he's worthy of any rotation spot on a playoff team?

still think AJ McCarron is going to Kansas City 1st overall?

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 02-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
he started game 4, and lost, yet you speak of him like he's supposed to be the next cy young when really he isn't even be the 5th best pitcher in this rotation and you think he's worthy of any rotation spot on a playoff team?

still think AJ McCarron is going to Kansas City 1st overall?
Latos started game 5 and lost... Is he garbage too?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Latos started game 5 and lost... Is he garbage too?
was he the weakest link in the rotation last year? is he about to be replaced by who was the closer last year? is anyone glorifiying the life and times of Latos? although between him and Leake there would be better material to glorify on Latos than Leake if he had someone on here stalking him too

that geriatic clown keeps glorifying Leake and ripping the Reds every year when in fact the one thing to rip on the Reds has been Leake and yet he acts like he does no wrong so if someone is gonna shove Leake down our throats and glorify him to be someone like Aroldis Chapman or Joey Votto when at this point he doesn't even compare to either of them, it can easily go the other way against him too except I make sure to use facts instead his jaded view
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Leake will never be more then a low-end rotational starter (4 spot or 5 spot). He could even be used as a long reliever. He is nothing spectacular. His troubles come from location. He is a junk thrower who isnt going to throw a ball past a major league hitter. His fastball ranges from the high 80's to the low 90's - nothing special - hell, the high school team I coach has two stud pitchers that throw mid 90's. He relies on his off-speed. When he is on, he is a great pitcher; when he is off, oooooohhhhhh boy, it is bad. He really needs to learn how to focus on EVERY. SINGLE. PITCH. He could learn a lot if he tied himself to Bronson Arroyo.

Leake could be an asset if he is purchased cheap. With Chapman moving to the rotation, which I think is a HUGE MISTAKE, Leake is going to be fighting for innings. Most likely in the bullpen or possibly in Louisville, which I think would be best for him. Let him go down and work on location and focus.

Doesnt help he is an idiot and has character issues - seriously, who shop-lifts from a department store when they are a professional athlete? *******

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18271

Maybe he can afford to buy his shirts now, instead of stealing them.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Yeah, I know. Maybe there is some. I don't give a crap. I'm tired of this guy coming in here every year and talking about Mike Leake like he's Greg Maddux or something. He showed promise early, but it almost seems like he regresses more than he improves as he gains more experience. He'll throw a nice game here and there, but when he's off it's like t-ball for opposing batters.

A control pitcher with control problems is by definition a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29767

Quote:

Wrong. They agreed to a contract before he went to arbitration.

And for those of you bashing Mike, he was our best pitcher in 2011, leading the team in wins, ERA (among qualifiers), and strikeouts.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know. Maybe there is some. I don't give a crap. I'm tired of this guy coming in here every year and talking about Mike Leake like he's Greg Maddux or something. He showed promise early, but it almost seems like he regresses more than he improves as he gains more experience. He'll throw a nice game here and there, but when he's off it's like t-ball for opposing batters.

A control pitcher with control problems is by definition a recipe for disaster.
Latos had his fair share of horrible outtings should we fire him to?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
He also had downright dominant outings. Actually, he had a pretty long stretch of them in the middle of the year. How many dominant outings did Mike Leake have? Sorry, but that's a total goofball comparison.

If you really feel that Leake and Latos are comparable in terms of value to this staff, then I don't know what to tell you. Cliff Lee had some bad outings last season, too. Does that mean that Leake should be excused?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Why is it that when people acknowledge that Leake is obviously the weakest link in the rotation people try to backhand Mat Latos into this? again, was Leake at the bottom of the rotation? is Chapman about to take over his spot in the rotation? is someone on here obsessed with Latos and trying to glorify him into something he's not? Nobody talks about Latos on here like that, but it's fine when someone talks about Leake like that while ripping the Reds at the same time?

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 02-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14126

Quote:

so Dalton's a bum but Mike Leake is an ace? Shouldn't you be a Votto fan boy?

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."