Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15980
Default Re: Name a free agent you would want in stripes

I like a combo of Dwayne Bowe and William Moore. I really would like a vet wr, and a vet SS. Some legit starters (even if not big names like Bowe, Moore), not just camp bodies.

If we lose M.J then Michael Bennett.

But if we had to pick one I'd go with Bowe. We need a solid vet who knows how to play in big games and is reliable.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Reggie Bush RB
Mike Wallace WR
Dennis Pitta TE
Bart Scott LB
Calvin Pace LB
Jairus Byrd S
Carey Williams CB
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1840

Like jj22 I would like to have Bowe the most out of the recievers. IMO Reggie Bush is a pretty good back but he couldn't take the pounding of the AFC north, even though he wouldn't be a every down back. I would like a vet lb and draft a lb.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2575

It'll never happen but I say Ed Reed. He and Nelson would be a sweet tandem.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1852

I'd like to retain our own, and if we sign anyone else, Mike Wallace.
If Wes Welker was an option, I'd sign him up too. I doubt he leaves New England though.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 320

Byrd.......he is a play maker like Reed, just younger.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 56917

Outside of re-signing our own 'key' FA's, I prefer Dwayne Bowe or Greg Jennings as 'new' Bengals. Either would go a long way toward providing a positive impact for our passing game. Continue developing Sanu, Jones, and baby Hawk and draft for what would be our 6th receiver - cut the rest loose.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3964

With who we have on the team, and a deep draft to come, Im not overly bothered by FA this year. That being said, Id love to see anyone of Byrd, Cox or Wheeler on this team. Though id be surprised if their current teams would let them get close to free agency.

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 226

Since I think Byrd is unrealistic, I'll say Ellerbe. Great fit, great player, likely available with Ravens cap problems.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18551

Connor Barwin. I have no doubt that he can play in a 4-3. He's made his career (literally) on his ability to adapt. Played TE for 3 years at UC, and immediately flourished at defensive end. He's moved around in Houston done pretty well. Not to mention, the guy was athletic enough to walk on and play basketball for 2 seasons, in which he saw pretty significant minutes.

What I really like about him, other than his athletic skill, is that he's an all around good dude. I think he fit right in, and be a great team player. I don't think he'll break the bank, and he's still only 26. He could be a really nice signing.

Reggie Bush on a two year deal would be great. He could be brought in for an amount similar to what we just paid Jason Allen. He be less than what we spent on Nate Clements. Basically, it's not like he'd cost a fortune. And it's time we treat the RB2 spot like we do with how we treat the 2nd and nickel corner. It's important.

With Bush, we'd have a legit starter if anything happens to BGE. Of vice versa, if Bush starts. We'd have a back that catch passes. We'd have a speed back to compliment BGE. And we'd have a PR if need be. That's a lot of holes to fill with one player, for as little as he'd cost. And, with his contract length and dollar amount, to go along with BGE, nothing prevents us from drafting someone as well. Worst or best case scenario, depending on how you look at it, if someone comes in a flourishes, just release him. Or release BGE. Or keep all 3. You have a lot of options, and a lot of ways to approach the position, in terms of reps, and development moving forward.

Either way, we'd be set at RB. We'd have no questions for this season. We'd have depth. And most importantly, we were able to accomplish all of it with still below average money invested into the position. You could have BGE, Bush, and draft pick for under 9 mil TOTAL.

Those would be my top 2. I really like Bowe, but I don't like at him at any more than 8 mil. (unlikely)

Last edited by Toast Jones; 02-11-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1861

Joe Flacko
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2606

why would you want to start a thread like this lol? Anytime someone brings up the possibility of bringing in a Free Agent, all of the self claimed "Football experts" come on here and gang up on the OP as to why its a bad, bad , bad choice Regardless of who it is.

I mean , someone brought up the idea of trading for Percy Harvin who would be an excellent compliment to AJ Green and Dalton, but of course the "Experts" on this board shouted NOOOOOOOOOO shot the idea down , but would rather have a 32 year old Anquan Boldin? you guys want an older WR just because he was in the superbowl? why not go out and sign Deion Branch? we got pacman jones, who was a huge risk but we got him. Why not Harvin?

i would support the Bengals trading for harvin. Screw letting the youngins develop. they can do that practicing and watching the vets from the sideline.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.

Last edited by Dalton's_Gang; 02-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9044

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
If it were that simple, 32 teams would be going to the playoffs. Not saying I don't want an FA, but sometime the exact same team improves from one year to the next without major changes. Sometimes the wrong FA makes a team worse, even if they are talented.

Anyways, it is fun to speculate, but at the end of the day I'm going to trust the coaches.
Well every other NFL Team has won a playoff game since we last him.

Upgrading the roster through free agency is never a bad thing unless you believe the Bengals PR.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26246

George Wilson.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9044

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymad View Post
i disagree, respectfully. we only have glaring starter issues at 4 positions lb, s, ot, and de. the resigning of MJ and Smith clear up 2 of those and s and lb can be had in the draft. my mock in the fun with ratings thread clears every issue this team has, and i do not want wallace he will be to expensive for a guy who only runs one route and has trouble holding on to the ball
My problem with filling needs through the draft solely is we generally only get 1 guy who starts Year 1 if we're lucky.

Yeah there is an AJ and Dalton in some drafts, but we don't have a Top 5 pick every year.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36978

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
That will get us another 1st Round loss. We have to improve the roster. The draft gets us 1 starter in Year 1 if we are lucky.

It's no secret that I want Mike Wallace.

Goldson, Bradshaw, Jennings are also on my list. Bradshaw on a 2 year deal would be sweet.

I'd like 3 year deals or less so they are up when Greens contract is for cap purposes.
You see thats not right..

Its gets us pretty much the same team which when healthy on both sides of the ball can handle the opposing team...

And all with another year of exprenience..

Part of going with the Youth movement Is your not looking for an old vet stop gap to put you over the top. We are building a complete team who's window is just starting to open up.

now what kind of Free Agents Would I like to see brought in. Well that depends on who we resign of our own first. As i dont know all the holes we have yet. Or how much money is left after re-signing our own talent.

But Positions of Need and where I think we Get them

Center (Big need) - Drafted in top 4 rounds
Strong Saftey - While i would love to see mays get some playing time I see a FA signing here
DB - Best to address this thru the draft
LB - this is a mess Bring in a Playmaker FA and Draft a playmaker for the Future. (all depends on Howard and where they want to play burfict)

WR - I love the Green Sanu combo and think we dont need to go searching for WR talent for at least 3 of our WRs. Would like to see Hawkins replaced

TE - FA signing need a playmaker Gresham is just not consistant enough

RB - Free agent signing cause we are horrible at drafting them

Backup QB will likely be a draft pick or the guy thats been hanging around the PS for a few years.

All that being Said... Joshua Cribbs.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26035
bengals Re: Name a free agent you would want in stripes

DeAndre Levy ...LB. ...Detroit.

Instant starter at SLB.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
My problem with filling needs through the draft solely is we generally only get 1 guy who starts Year 1 if we're lucky.

Yeah there is an AJ and Dalton in some drafts, but we don't have a Top 5 pick every year.
we have a top 5 pick in the 2nd round, same as dalton so if we get a starter in round one a starter at 2a or even 2b is not out of the question
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Since we struck out on DMAC + Titus Young on the young + relatively cheap, (Mac for 2b might've meant Oakland picking up some of the cash)........I've gotta go w/ Bush + Wallace.....these 2 fill two critical roles/holes that this team absolutely needs to fill + give the team what they need to take the next step = OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41247

This is pretty simple.

Don't expect to pick up anyone from any of these lists:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/db.html
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/lb.html
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/wr.html

But in all seriousness, add an Ed Reed and Mike Wallace, plus 2 running backs in the draft and you have a team that goes very far in the playoffs. But we won't (and that goes for both, not going to pick up a difference maker and we won't go far in the playoffs because of that)
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
Since we struck out on DMAC + Titus Young on the young + relatively cheap, (Mac for 2b might've meant Oakland picking up some of the cash)........I've gotta go w/ Bush + Wallace.....these 2 fill two critical roles/holes that this team absolutely needs to fill + give the team what they need to take the next step = OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS
We need a Take it to the House Back...

And a ST's return guy...

i dont know what backs are out there its probly better to draft fresh legs.

but STs Cribbs is out there and they could find some use for him on offense too running reverses and such... We would still need another Outside WR so we can move Sanu inside. but its a start. Allows us to upgrade Hawkins who is very talented when we can get him into space. But without another legit threat on the outside getting him into space has been difficult.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
We need a Take it to the House Back...

And a ST's return guy...

i dont know what backs are out there its probly better to draft fresh legs.

but STs Cribbs is out there and they could find some use for him on offense too running reverses and such... We would still need another Outside WR so we can move Sanu inside. but its a start. Allows us to upgrade Hawkins who is very talented when we can get him into space. But without another legit threat on the outside getting him into space has been difficult.
You don't line up in three plus receiver sets all the time so are you proposing taking Sanu off the field in two receiver sets?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
You don't line up in three plus receiver sets all the time so are you proposing taking Sanu off the field in two receiver sets?
2 Wide out sides are with a FB and TE or 2 TE's?

It would depend on the Play.... but I would keep sanu to one side as hes a good big target with good hands. but i dont know how well he will stretch the field But i could see him as a good run blocker.

But if we are gonna attack the middle of the field you can have him line up in slot with a TE on the other side of the formation (or same side) in 3 WR sets.

and the way the league is going we had most of our offense success last year when we were in a 3 wr Set or more spreading the defense out and beating them with our speed. (this is the type of offense i think we need to become...) Even when we use a 2 WR 2 TE set one of the TEs can be used in the passing game etc. and those plays often pull a saftey up as they scream run.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
2 Wide out sides are with a FB and TE or 2 TE's?

It would depend on the Play.... but I would keep sanu to one side as hes a good big target with good hands. but i dont know how well he will stretch the field But i could see him as a good run blocker.

But if we are gonna attack the middle of the field you can have him line up in slot with a TE on the other side of the formation (or same side) in 3 WR sets.

and the way the league is going we had most of our offense success last year when we were in a 3 wr Set or more spreading the defense out and beating them with our speed. (this is the type of offense i think we need to become...) Even when we use a 2 WR 2 TE set one of the TEs can be used in the passing game etc. and those plays often pull a saftey up as they scream run.
Sanu doesn't scare anybody. A guy with good hands who runs a 4.65 doesn't worry defenses enough to shift coverage back away from AJ Green,........................... i.e we need Wallace, w/ Sanu running down the middle

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
Sanu doesn't scare anybody. A guy with good hands who runs a 4.65 doesn't worry defenses enough to shift coverage back away from AJ Green,........................... i.e we need Wallace w/ Sanu running down the middle
Hmmm. .....Boldin ran a 4.71. Point 40 times are grossly overrated especially by fans. Catching TDs worries opposing defenses.