Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22437
Default Re: Bengals eyeing OT DJ Fluker at #21?

I read it as his talent wouldn't let him past 21. Not that the Bengals want him. Maybe some team loves him and wants to trade up.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50983

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I read it as his talent wouldn't let him past 21. Not that the Bengals want him. Maybe some team loves him and wants to trade up.
I'd have no problem with a trade back.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892
bengals Re: Bengals eyeing OT DJ Fluker at #21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
I'd have no problem with a trade back.
That could be the best option too. I'm not crazy about some of the linebacking talent outside of the first, but all of our other needs are stacked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I like Ogletree and Te'o mostly as guys we'd have a shot at in the first and neither of them might be there when we pick. If so trading back might be the best idea.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 42887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
Yeah, but Whitworth played OG for a little while. I think he was pretty good there too. Now if you want Fluke to play guard that's fine, but I honestly think we are good to go at G with Boling and Zeitler.

I have no problem with putting Fluker at G for a year or two, or even longer should Whit get over his ailments and Andre re-sign for a lengthy deal.

But, the writing is definitely on the wall. Whitworth, an all pro tackle, struggled with physical ailments a good part of the year. Andre appears to still be on an upward trajectory, in terms of talent, but may opt for the highest bidder in FA. Sure, Collins is a great backup, maybe even capable of carrying the load as a starter. But after that, we really got nothin'. The Bengals scouts/coaching staff would be completely negligent to not be looking at players who could be day 1 starters at the T position.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56315

Awww heck nah
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I just hope he doesn't run his 40 topless.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892

Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Man, I will neer forgive you for that little surprise. Took forever to stop having moob nightmares.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

The player and pick position itself wouldn't be awful but it would mean the Bengals investing into a position that we should already have locked up by re-signing Smith. If we lost Smith this would make sense but this team needs to add pieces to what we have (Smith included) and not be trying to replace guys that we let leave. As other people mentioned it wouldn't be good for this team because we have other positions like LB, Safety, RB that already are needs and why have to address another one when we can sign or franchise tag a really good right tackle that has already been with this team.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy's best View Post
imagine this oline:

Whitworth, warmack, jones, zeitler, smith.
--nsfw--
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 42887

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
The player and pick position itself wouldn't be awful but it would mean the Bengals investing into a position that we should already have locked up by re-signing Smith. If we lost Smith this would make sense but this team needs to add pieces to what we have (Smith included) and not be trying to replace guys that we let leave. As other people mentioned it wouldn't be good for this team because we have other positions like LB, Safety, RB that already are needs and why have to address another one when we can sign or franchise tag a really good right tackle that has already been with this team.

Franchise tag?? After you just went on to attempt making a point about putting money into a position that we should already have locked up. That will cost more for one year of FT, than it likely would for the first two years of a fair contract.

I really cannot comprehend why anyone would be upset with the Bengals drafting OL. Look at the two teams that were just in the Super Bowl, the one thing that they both have are awesome OLs.

You can have teh best QB, best WRs, best RB, it doesn't matter if the QB doesn't have time to find someone past the 1st read.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Franchise tag?? After you just went on to attempt making a point about putting money into a position that we should already have locked up. That will cost more for one year of FT, than it likely would for the first two years of a fair contract.

I really cannot comprehend why anyone would be upset with the Bengals drafting OL. Look at the two teams that were just in the Super Bowl, the one thing that they both have are awesome OLs.

You can have teh best QB, best WRs, best RB, it doesn't matter if the QB doesn't have time to find someone past the 1st read.
I don't think we should lose him by any means necessary is the point. Obviously I hope they get a long term deal worked out with him first and foremost. If that doesn't happen then I would franchise tag him before I let him leave without any kind of compensation. That would give them time to work out a deal and draft somebody to develop in mid rounds at Tackle. Nothing wrong with wanting a good line and I agree with that point. With that said there is only one offensive lineman that I would go after in the first round. That player is Chance Warmack because he is going to be an elite player in this league for a long time. For this years draft I don't want us to draft a Tackle like Fluker (even though I like him as a player) in the 1st when we should have Whitworth and Smith still and could use that pick to add a Safety like Vaccaro or an OLB like Ogletree.

Also..My point wasn't investing financially on a draft pick because with the new rookie pay scale that is not a big issue. I am talking about investing a high draft choice to a position that should have its starters already in place.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2627

Apparently Lane Johnson from OK is supposed to turn many heads at the combine.

I completely agree that Whit was starting to limp and wobble a bit between plays. I remember too well when Levi started doing the same thing. One second he's playing, the next he's done. I was thinking about Chance Warmack if he was available at 21, but OT is probably a safer investment for the future.

As always, it depends on how many of the top OT's get swiped off the board earlier. Also is going to depend on Hue's perspective about whether our running failures at the end of the season were primarily line issues.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
I would hate this pick for so many reasons. One we have bigger needs and it would be a big reach with our first round pick. Two we have Andre Smith at RT already and if that guy was gonna be a tackle, he would be a Right tackle. Now I know Smith is a FA, but why draft another 1st rounder to replace your current one? You going to draft another one in 4 years?

this would be a great pick he will be an all pro guard by the end of year 1 and can play right tackle, no way is he playing left tackle but he would be a great boost to our offensive line....that needs it. I think we can fluker if we traded back tho. id rather grab him with 2a or late in the first.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 116

I don't know much, but I do know our OL is not very good as it is. Boling is a backup at best and center has got to get better at times we cannot run the ball or keep Andy upright. Also Whitt is slowing some .
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D from logan View Post
I don't know much, but I do know our OL is not very good as it is. Boling is a backup at best and center has got to get better at times we cannot run the ball or keep Andy upright. Also Whitt is slowing some .
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
--nsfw--
Please translate for an internet abbr. semi-literate.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

You wanna run the ball? Have a great line. You wanna throw the ball? Have a great line.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Fluker becomes a real option if Smith is allowed to walk. Arguably the best RT in the draft; I'd definitely prefer to keep Smith, but the position becomes a need if Smith isn't resigned. Then again, I'd almost prefer to put Collins at RT and grab a developmental guy instead of using a high pick.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3194

I think we will get a tackle somewhere, more than likely a RT. Unless they resign Roland, they will need one as a back up anyway. According to Walter, here's how they've deciphered the RT's.

D.J Fluker...6'4..355..Alabama...late 1st round possibility

Manelik Watson...6'6...320...Florida State...2nd or 3rd round

Brennan Williams...6'7...315...North Carolina...2nd or 3rd round...injury factor

Xavier Nixon...6'6...314...Florida...3rd to 5th round

Ricky Wagner...6'6...310...Wisconsin...3rd to 5th round..maybe dropping somewhat

Jordon Mills...6'5...315...Louisiana Tech...3rd to 5th round...maybe rising somewhat

Alex Hurst...6'6...310 ...LSU....Free agent likely

feel free to correct me if I omitted a RT possibility in the draft, but these seem the most likely.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
You wanna run the ball? Have a great line. You wanna throw the ball? Have a great line.
yea im cool with fluker too...he'd be a monster at guard also.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9555

Am always ok with bolstering O-line.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 901

No to fluker, but I do like frederick
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Would love having him at LG but I'd have to be pretty damn sure he can keep his weight in check. How great would it be to have a LG as good as out RG?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 574

No they're not !