Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Choose one player to put on the 2013 team
Corey Dillon 40 27.59%
James Brooks 11 7.59%
Chad Johnson (not Ochocinco) 11 7.59%
Carl Pickens 2 1.38%
David Fulcher 9 6.21%
Anthony Munoz 31 21.38%
Carson Palmer (pre-knee injury) 8 5.52%
Ken Anderson 10 6.90%
Boomer Esiason 6 4.14%
Other (explain) 17 11.72%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33498
Default If you had a time machine...

I'm stealing this from cincy jungle. If you had a time machine and could grab any player from the past to put on the 2013 team, who would it be?

*You can only choose one player.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: If you had a time machine...

You sure I can't pick three, O.K. Isaac Curtis.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Default Re: If you had a time machine...

I chose Dillon. I think Dillon was the most talented player we've ever had. On a team like this, he would be in beast mode 24-7.

Look what he did with Akili as his QB.

This may surprise some people, but I did consider CP pre-injury. He was awesome back then, but I think he was always lacking mental toughness.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1111

Dillon was an absolute BEAST.

I loved James Brooks too, but Dillon flat out ran over folks

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21106

Tough choice, but Dillon ! With him our offense would get leaps and bounds better instantly.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5628

WOW...unbelievable...Anthony Munoz is the only HOF player in Bengals history and LT is the anchor of any offensive line...learn from Paul Brown,,,Line play wins championships...look at his first pick ever for the Bengals....Bob Johnson...if you do not vote for Munoz then you have no clue about football and what a winner is made of...O and D lines...period...end of story
Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

I went with Munoz because it's Munoz. Kick Whit into LG and initiate arse whoopings.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42849

Ken Anderson.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38018

James Brooks in his prime would be so beastly for this team.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17847

Fwiw, I haven't voted yet. (Still weighing the options) But here's my thinking:

I'll take off all of the WR's immediately. Not because they're not good, but AJ Green is enough "elite WR" talent that one team needs. While pairing him up with someone like Chad or Pick would be great, they're are more pressing needs that could improve this team more.

I think Munoz is the best overall talent at his position of anyone on this list. I don't want to dismiss him too easily, but at the same time I think if Andre is back then we're well above average at OT spots.

Normally I wouldn't put so much stock in a RB position, because I'm not sure that one move could affect the team as much as others. BUT Dillon was that good. I'm very tempted to vote him, because he's my favorite player from this list. (Fwiw, James Brooks, who was a great player, doesn't do much for me in this scenario.)

I love Fulcher, and really all of the swat team guys. And safety is a clear need for this team. But I think my choice has to be on the offensive side of the ball. This team is more than fine defensively. Although Fulcher would fill a glaring weakness, I'd prefer to add someone else.

And that leads me to the other spot I have a hard to deciding between it and Dillon. QB. I'd have to immediately take Kenny Anderson out of contention. (Hold on) I'm just not old enough to have really seen him play. I have no memory of it, and even though I know he was very good, picking him wouldn't be coming from any experience or knowledge that I have.

So Boomer or Carson. Better yet, Boomer '88 vs Carson '05. I'm leaning towards going here. No position affects a team more than QB. And while many are high on Dalton, I don't think anyone can say that he is more than a middle of the road QB this far in his career. (that's not a knock it's the truth) Maybe some even have him in that 9, 10, 11, 12 spot in terms of ranking. But with either one of these two, you'd be adding a top 5 elite level QB from their given time. You'd be adding someone who could take this team to another level.

Between these two that's a tough call. I think Palmer (pre-injury) had more talent, but he was still pretty young. He had never started a full season, and had no post season experience. For that reason, I'm going with the southpaw. League MVP, most recent QB to have real success here, and has the best play action of any QB that I've ever seen. And he can run the no huddle like nobodies business.

So after all of this rambling, I'm down to Dillon or Boomer. I'm about 70-30 in favor of Boomer. Sorry for length, but I like to explain my thought process. I'll vote here shortly if I can make up mind.

PS Good thread!

Last edited by Toast Jones; 02-12-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
WOW...unbelievable...Anthony Munoz is the only HOF player in Bengals history and LT is the anchor of any offensive line...learn from Paul Brown,,,Line play wins championships...look at his first pick ever for the Bengals....Bob Johnson...if you do not vote for Munoz then you have no clue about football and what a winner is made of...O and D lines...period...end of story
I disagree. Yes, Munoz is the best player of all these guys. But the question is, does adding him, and him alone, make this team better than adding another player?

I'm not sure. While he obviously leaps and bounds better than our current OT's (really all of OT's in the league right now) we're still sitting pretty good at that position. I think we have more glaring needs, and other positions if filled with elite talent could take this team to a completely different level.

At the end of the day, even with Munoz, you still have a below average back and middle of the road QB. He would make us better, no doubt, but I don't know if he makes us the best of these options.

To each their own though.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
No disrespect to Munoz (best LT of all-time), but LT isn't a weakness. Whit is probably the 2nd best LT we've ever had (that I can remember).

Also, Munoz was 6'6" 278lbs. He'd certainly have to bulk up quite a bit for today's game.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Would "Paul Brown - Owner" be an option for "other". If so, I'm going with that.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

PPS: Greg Cook (pre-injury) could be an interesting addition. Never saw him play, but if some of things I've read and heard are true, then he could be a very, very strong choice.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42849

Just to stop others from getting it wrong:

Ken Anderson-

At the time of Anderson's retirement following the 1986 season, he held NFL records for consecutive pass completions (20), completion percentage for a single game (20 of 22, 90.9%, vs. Pittsburgh in 1974) and completion percentage for a season (70.6% in 1982), as well as the Super Bowl records for completion percentage (73.5%) and completions.

Anderson was ranked 6th all-time for passing yards in a career at the time of his retirement. His record for completion percentage in a season stood for 27 years after his retirement.

As of 2005, Anderson was among the top 30 all-time leaders in pass attempts (24th), completions (18th), passing yards (21st) and passing touchdowns (28th). He led the NFL in passing yards and completions twice and led the league in fewest interceptions per pass attempt on three occasions.

He ranks fourth in NFL history for postseason quarterback rating, 93.5. He also holds the record for highest career completion percentage in the postseason at 66.3%.

From 1980 until his retirement under a more liberalized passing game Anderson completed 64.1% percent of his passes while the league average throughout the 1980s was 55.5% and would be the modern equivalent of a passer completing 68.4% percent of his passes on average.

In 2008, NFL Network selected Anderson as #10 on its list of top 10 players who have not yet made it into the hall of fame.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Fwiw, I haven't voted yet. (Still weighing the options) But here's my thinking:

I'll take off all of the WR's immediately. Not because they're not good, but AJ Green is enough "elite WR" talent that one team needs. While pairing him up with someone like Chad or Pick would be great, they're are more pressing needs that could improve this team more.

I think Munoz is the best overall talent at his position of anyone on this list. I don't want to dismiss him too easily, but at the same time I think if Andre is back then we're well above average at OT spots.

Normally I wouldn't put so much stock in a RB position, because I'm not sure that one move could affect the team as much as others. BUT Dillon was that good. I'm very tempted to vote him, because he's my favorite player from this list. (Fwiw, James Brooks, who was a great player, doesn't do much for me in this scenario.)

I love Fulcher, and really all of the swat team guys. And safety is a clear need for this team. But I think my choice has to be on the offensive side of the ball. This team is more than fine defensively. Although Fulcher would fill a glaring weakness, I'd prefer to add someone else.

And that leads me to the other spot I have a hard to deciding between it and Dillon. QB. I'd have to immediately take Kenny Anderson out of contention. (Hold on) I'm just not old enough to have really seen him play. I have no memory of it, and even though I know he was very good, picking him wouldn't be coming from any experience or knowledge that I have.

So Boomer or Carson. Better yet, Boomer '88 vs Carson '05. I'm leaning towards going here. No position affects a team more than QB. And while many are high on Dalton, I don't think anyone can say that he is more than a middle of the road QB this far in his career. (that's not a knock it's the truth) Maybe some even have him in that 9, 10, 11, 12 spot in terms of ranking. But with either one of these two, you'd be adding a top 5 elite level QB from their given time. You'd be adding someone who could take this team to another level.

Between these two that's a tough call. I think Palmer (pre-injury) had more talent, but he was still pretty young. He had never started a full season, and had no post season experience. For that reason, I'm going with the southpaw. League MVP, most recent QB to have real success here, and has the best play action of any QB that I've ever seen. And he can run the no huddle like nobodies business.

So after all of this rambling, I'm down to Dillon or Boomer. I'm about 70-30 in favor of Boomer. Sorry for length, but I like to explain my thought process. I'll vote here shortly if I can make up mind.

PS Good thread!
For one year or two maybe...but too rate Boomer as an option is ridiculous...Boomer's best year as MVP was only slightly better than Dalton this year...go look at the stats....Dalton had more yards..1 less TD and 2 more INTs......everyone's perception of Boomer as a great QB when he was just average...Boomer had a great O line and running game...surround Dalton with this and we can have the same discussion in 30 years....
Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24364

Great thread. I'd go with Kenny Anderson. I was in my mid-late teens in his prime. Not only was he accurate, as bfine's #s prove, but he threw a very pretty deep ball. You want to see AJ unleashed? Swap Andy for Kenny.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
For one year or two maybe...but too rate Boomer as an option is ridiculous...Boomer's best year as MVP was only slightly better than Dalton this year...go look at the stats....Dalton had more yards..1 less TD and 2 more INTs......everyone's perception of Boomer as a great QB when he was just average...Boomer had a great O line and running game...surround Dalton with this and we can have the same discussion in 30 years....
Different time, different game. Go look at some of Montana's numbers and compare them to Dalton's. Staubach's. Johnny U. Starr. If you look at a guy like Phil Simms or Terry Bradshaw, they probably have worse numbers than someone like Matt Cassell has had in a given year. But no one is going to tell you that Cassell is a better QB. Mark Sanchez blows Broadway Joe's numbers out of the water. Now, Namath was way overrated (like Bradhsaw) but aint no Jets fan taking Sanchez over Namath.

What you fail to mention is something like attempts, which are valid if you're bringing up yards, td's, etc. Boomer had 388 attempts in 1988. Dalton had 528 last season. And if Boomer was "average" then how on earth did he win the MVP??????? Remember we're taking a player from a specific time. So we're talking Boomer 88, not Boomer's career.

You earlier mentioned that people "didn't know football" if they didn't vote Munoz. Well, if you can't see that Boomer in his prime would be a huge upgrade over Dalton right now, then I would have to say the same thing to you.

And fwiw, the OP never mentioned who is the best fit for __ amount of years. I took it as you can add one player to this team for right now.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 02-12-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250
bengals Re: If you had a time machine...

Tough choice

Ken Anderson vs. Andy Dalton
Andy Dalton is our franchise QB for now, but I consider Anderson to be the best QB in franchise history. With the exception of a few teams (Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, etc.) it's taken a very good QB to win the Super Bowl. While we already have a good QB, this was my pick that could definitely put us into Super Bowl contention.

Corey Dillon vs. BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Dillon's potentially our greatest RB of all time and a definite upgrade over the Law Firm. I don't know if we are allowed to account for upcoming draft picks or if we are supposed to insert them into last years team. As it is I would expect to be able to put together a good RB stable in the draft and look at upgrading another position.

Chad Johnson vs. AJ Green/Marvin Jones/Mohammed Sanu
Chad Johnson in his prime across from AJ would be great, but with AJ as it is and the potential to add a WR to this team in other ways (FA and Draft) I'd probably go with one of the other players here. Besides I think AJ is better than Chad ever was.

Anthony Munoz vs Andrew Whitworth
We could kick Whit out to LG like someone else described and put our HoF at LT, but I think we have a pretty good offensive line minus maybe one more good young player. This might actually be the second best option behind acquiring a franchise QB

As a NFL fan since '05 I obviously have really only experienced Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson, but I'd have to add in what I've researched and heard about the other players. These four I know the best not very familiar with the rest of them.....actually now that I think about it I saw Corey Dillon play for the Patriots.

Verdict
1. Ken Anderson
2. Anthony Munoz
3. Corey Dillon
4. Chad Johnson
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Different time, different game. Go look at some of Montana's numbers and compare them to Dalton's. Staubach's. Johnny U. Starr. If you look at a guy like Phil Simms or Terry Bradshaw, they probably have worse numbers than someone like Matt Cassell has had in a given year. But no one is going to tell you that Cassell is a better QB. Mark Sanchez blows Broadway Joe's numbers out of the water. Now, Namath was way overrated (like Bradhsaw) but aint no Jets fan taking Sanchez over Namath.

What you fail to mention is something like attempts, which are valid if you're bringing up yards, td's, etc. Boomer had 388 attempts in 1988. Dalton had 528 last season. And if Boomer was "average" then how on earth did he win the MVP??????? Remember we're taking a player from a specific time. So we're talking Boomer 88, not Boomer's career.

You earlier mentioned that people "didn't know football" if they didn't vote Munoz. Well, if you can't see that Boomer in his prime would be a huge upgrade over Dalton right now, then I would have to say the same thing to you.

And fwiw, the OP never mentioned who is the best fit for __ amount of years. I took it as you can add one player to this team for right now.
Andy Dalton and Boomer are the same type of players...winners...it is in their blood..Namath was a one year wonder....Bradshaw was surrounded by greatness...like I said give Andy the line and running game of Boomer and we in the SB last year...I would take Munoz over any on that list...a great line makes a great team....no one player on that list would make next years team a SB team but if I had to take one it would be Munoz because he is the greatest Bengal of all time...just MHO
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Andy Dalton and Boomer are the same type of players...winners...it is in their blood..Namath was a one year wonder....Bradshaw was surrounded by greatness...like I said give Andy the line and running game of Boomer and we in the SB last year...I would take Munoz over any on that list...a great line makes a great team....no one player on that list would make next years team a SB team but if I had to take one it would be Munoz because he is the greatest Bengal of all time...just MHO
I disagree. With Dillon, we would have a legit 1600 yard back. With a real passing game, Dillon wouldn't be seeing the 8 man fronts he used to see.

Dillon was a big strong back who also had the ability to break off 80 yard runs. I think something like that would put this offense over the top.

Our D is already SB quality.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11246

It's between Dillon, Munoz, and Chad.

I like Palmer before his knee injury and feel like he could have been the best QB the Bengals have had, but that's too many if's for me.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I disagree. With Dillon, we would have a legit 1600 yard back. With a real passing game, Dillon wouldn't be seeing the 8 man fronts he used to see.

Dillon was a big strong back who also had the ability to break off 80 yard runs. I think something like that would put this offense over the top.

Our D is already SB quality.
Seriously...we saw 8 man fronts all year long because BJGE could not break an 80 yard run and we had one option in the passing game,AJ....that was our problem at the end of the year....every team loaded the box and made Andy find someone else beside AJ...did you even watch the last 4 games?...Dillon would make our running game better but not elite...give me Harold Green/Garrison Hearst behind Munoz all day...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38018

I voted JB cuz that's one of my favorites.

Really tho, Dillon would be a bigger upgrade over Ellis than would Anderson over Dalton. Although you can't go wrong with any of those guys, they were all very good.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 595

Based out of this team's needs, my choice goes to....

"COREY, COREY, COREY, COREY"

With a stout running game this offense would be scary good. Instead of standstill at times. Having that guy that can break an 80 yard TD run at any point in time would do wonders for Andy, as well as opening things up for AJ. And think about what kind of numbers Corey would put up with the D having to respect A.J.'s deep catch ability. Home run threats everywhere and already a top 10 D to back it up? Ill take a phrase from someone else on that list..."Child please!"