Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41441
Default a Fine Pre-Combine Mock.

See a bunch of folks putting together their Pre-Combine mocks. Thouhgt I'd throw one out there so folks can say "damn, I shoulda done that".

1-MANTI T'EO/ ILB/UND

Dude puts up stats. Leaves college with 437 tackles (34 TFL), 8.5 sacks, and 7 INTs. A leader on and off the field. Quickly diagnoses the play and puts himself in position to make an impact. Folks will point to the Alabama game and try to capsulize an outstanding collegiate career with 1 game; those folks are silly. WTS dude still had 10 tackles in that game and put himself in position to make a few more.

2A-ROBERT WOODS/WR/USC

This guy is Chad Johnson. Almost identical in size, speed, and route running prowess. A track star with soft hands and crisp route running. Overshawdowed this year by Marquis Lee, which allows him to slip to the 2nd round. Last year he woulda battled Blackmon for the #1 WR in the draft.

2B-JOSEPH RANDLE/RB/OSU

Folks were getting really excited about Vacarro, so I watched some videos. One of them was the UT v. OSU game and surfice it to say Vacarro was not the one I came away most impressed with. Dude is a workhorse with good vision and good hands. If the kid can put on about 10 more pounds without losing any wiggle; he could be the best RB in this draft.

3-DJ SWEARINGER/SS/USC

Dude has played in every game he has been eligable for since arriving om campus. Has played SS, FS, and CB for the Gamecocks. Captian of the defense that does well in all the levels of the defense. I'm a huge Matt Elam fan; however, DJ brings a similar game available a couple rounds later. Twiiter name is "Jungle Boi Swag".

4-BRIAN SCHWENKE/OC/CAL

The fact that the board fell in love with an UDFA that had never played Center in his live tells you how bad Cook is. Schwenke dominated the big DTs during Senior Bowl week; both in practice and the game (owned Jenkins). Kid has played all 3 interior O-line positions.

5- REID FRAGEL/OT/OSU

Converted TE that is still learning the position.Even Jonathan Hayes could teach this TE to block

6A- KERWYNN WILLIAMS/RB/USU

Elite in the return game. Anything he brings in the running game will be a bonus

6B- QUANTERUS SMITH/ DE/WKU

At 6'5" 248 pounds he has the build to be the hybrid Marvin loves.Prior to tearing his ACL he had 12.5 sacks in only 10 games. Small scholl product, tweener size and injury allows us to get a steal. Look at the photo and play close attention to who he just put on thier back. Did it 3 times in that game.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2403
Default Re: a Fine Pre-Combine Mock.

1. I wasn't a fan of Teo even before all of the girlfriend nonsense came out so I definitely dont want him now. Yea he put up numbers but there is more to it than that. Lacks speed and looks stiff at times, can also over-pursue at times.

2. I was actually just about to make a mock with Woods but got a refresher on him and came away unsure, especially at 2a. The Chad comparisons I agree with and think that he may end up being a very good player, my concern is with his ankle, it has been bothering him for a while now and id like to see more come out concerning that before I took him this early.

2. Randle has a very slim build and can run to high at times, add to that he isnt a burner or a guy that has a ton of moves. I think there would be better options at RB this early, some disagree but he doesn't really have anything special about him in terms of speed/moves/breaking tackles/size. I like Randle just not sure I like him enough to take him at 2b.

3-6. I like the rest though.

I think Id like it better if you moved Woods and Randle up, Woods at 2b and Randle at 3, if he isnt there there are guys like Franklin or Ellington that would be good picks instead and take a S at 2a. Just my opinion but I just have my concerns about those first 3 players.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

Not a fan of T'eo, but everything else, completely on board.

Woods is an amazing receiver, and played this whole season with an injury and STILL did well. He has the potential to be the best WR out of this class

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
1. I wasn't a fan of Teo even before all of the girlfriend nonsense came out so I definitely dont want him now. Yea he put up numbers but there is more to it than that. Lacks speed and looks stiff at times, can also over-pursue at times.

2. I was actually just about to make a mock with Woods but got a refresher on him and came away unsure, especially at 2a. The Chad comparisons I agree with and think that he may end up being a very good player, my concern is with his ankle, it has been bothering him for a while now and id like to see more come out concerning that before I took him this early.

2. Randle has a very slim build and can run to high at times, add to that he isnt a burner or a guy that has a ton of moves. I think there would be better options at RB this early, some disagree but he doesn't really have anything special about him in terms of speed/moves/breaking tackles/size. I like Randle just not sure I like him enough to take him at 2b.

3-6. I like the rest though.

I think Id like it better if you moved Woods and Randle up, Woods at 2b and Randle at 3, if he isnt there there are guys like Franklin or Ellington that would be good picks instead and take a S at 2a. Just my opinion but I just have my concerns about those first 3 players.
Biggest reason I wanted to throw this mock out before the combine was because of Manti. You don't accomplish as much as he did in College at a big time program by having all the bad traits folks suddenly have assigned to him.

Really haven't seen anything pointing to Robert having any lingering issues with the ankle. Didn't miss any time this year. Just saw him on Super Bowl weekend participating in some sort of College skills challenge. Folks with lingering injuries usually don't do that sort of stuff.

Like I said Joseph needs to put on a little weight to be a force. He has put on weight every years he's been at OSU. I'll be curious to see what he weighs at the combine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Not a fan of T'eo, but everything else, completely on board.

Woods is an amazing receiver, and played this whole season with an injury and STILL did well. He has the potential to be the best WR out of this class
Lots of folk aren't fans on Manti lately. Thinking the combine will dispell the "lack of athleticism" train of thought.

I think folks will be surprised how well Woods runs at the combine.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Lots of folk aren't fans on Manti lately. Thinking the combine will dispell the "lack of athleticism" train of thought.

I think folks will be surprised how well Woods runs at the combine.
Never really been a fan of him. I don't see him having a high ceiling honestly, and would rather have Ogletree, Minter, or Brown.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Im not sure about Fragel would rather have another lb.I think another Gamecock in DeVonte Holloman. He is 6-2/246 and very athletic.The problem with him is he has been ss for most of his career at USC. He will be an incredible special teams player while getting more familiar with the slb position. I like Randle he is my second favorite back behind Ellington who is almost the same weight just 2 inches smaller so more stout and the fact Randle runs too upright at times which can be fixed.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

I watched some video of the Texas-Oklahoma St. game and was also impressed with Randle. I like the fact he runs over people being only 200 lbs. I don't know if you watched Ellington but I seen a couple times where he was tackled but managed to put his hand on the ground and keep himself up and run for a lot of extra yards. I just like his balance at 5-10/197 lbs. I think he could be a little taller version of Ray Rice.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

I love everything except Woods.

Nothing against him I just don't trust USC to produce WR's nor do I trust the Bengals to select the correct Trojans.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23713

Interesting mock. I've got Swearinger and Williams in my last couple of mocks, so there's that bias.

I like the offensive boost you give us in Round 2. I hadn't paid much attention to Woods until now. He does remind me of Chad a little bit.

Love the Center and OT picks in 4 & 5.

My only ? is Teo. I'm not sure how well he can cover TEs in the NFL, but I know Burfict isn't that great at it either. One option would be to trade down and take Arthur Brown in 1 and use the bonus 2nd round pick to take K. Greene. Brown or Burfict might do well at SAM. The other could play Mike.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2403

Quote:
Biggest reason I wanted to throw this mock out before the combine was because of Manti. You don't accomplish as much as he did in College at a big time program by having all the bad traits folks suddenly have assigned to him.

Really haven't seen anything pointing to Robert having any lingering issues with the ankle. Didn't miss any time this year. Just saw him on Super Bowl weekend participating in some sort of College skills challenge. Folks with lingering injuries usually don't do that sort of stuff.

Like I said Joseph needs to put on a little weight to be a force. He has put on weight every years he's been at OSU. I'll be curious to see what he weighs at the combine.
I wont get to into Teo, I know you said "bad traits people have suddenly assigned him" but I've felt that way well before the girlfriend mess and I still do, don't know about everyone else.

As for Woods, when I said it had been bothering him I meant keeping him from playing at 100% in 2011 and 2012. I will say that is one of the reasons im a fan of his, the fact he had very good seasons while battling injuries but it is also a concern.

I wll say one other thing that concerns me with him is a quote :

Quote:
"If the coaches wanted to keep me another year, they would've probably got me the ball,"
Maybe its nothing but it has to be taken into consideration when that's what a player says when making his decision to enter the draft.

I am also curious to see Randle but I just have my concerns with how much weight he can add with his build. He is one ill be watching but as of now Im just not sold he is worth a second round pick.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022

Unless someone drops so far he is clearly so much better than everyone else they can't pass on him I don't see us drafting a center. But I like the rest, especially the Fragel pick. I think he has great upside and could eventually be Whit's replacement.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

If Vaccaro, Ogletree and Patterson are all off the board, I'd be fine with the Te'o pick.

I can understand the Woods pick because it seems he's got the highest floor out of this
class of wideouts and can contribute right away more effectively.

I agree with you on Randle though. I hope he proves his speed with power by running a
sub 4.5 at the combine. Not to mention he's a very solid pass protector and can catch
out of the backfield.

Like the Swearinger pick and the rest looks FINE.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1773

Good mock. I'd take Te'o over Ogletree at this point personally. I don't get the hate he is getting, He has one bad game and a very overblown controversy and falls out of the top ten? He actually would be a steal at 21. He is not Maualuga 2.0, he is much smarter and actually plays in position with awareness. Like you said though, this is a pre-combine opinion.

Also, Love the Swearinger pick!

Last edited by Pezmerga; 02-12-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1785

Quote:
See a bunch of folks putting together their Pre-Combine mocks. Thouhgt I'd throw one out there so folks can say "damn, I shoulda done that".

1-MANTI T'EO/ ILB/UND

Dude puts up stats. Leaves college with 437 tackles (34 TFL), 8.5 sacks, and 7 INTs. A leader on and off the field. Quickly diagnoses the play and puts himself in position to make an impact. Folks will point to the Alabama game and try to capsulize an outstanding collegiate career with 1 game; those folks are silly. WTS dude still had 10 tackles in that game and put himself in position to make a few more.

2A-ROBERT WOODS/WR/USC

This guy is Chad Johnson. Almost identical in size, speed, and route running prowess. A track star with soft hands and crisp route running. Overshawdowed this year by Marquis Lee, which allows him to slip to the 2nd round. Last year he woulda battled Blackmon for the #1 WR in the draft.

2B-JOSEPH RANDLE/RB/OSU

Folks were getting really excited about Vacarro, so I watched some videos. One of them was the UT v. OSU game and surfice it to say Vacarro was not the one I came away most impressed with. Dude is a workhorse with good vision and good hands. If the kid can put on about 10 more pounds without losing any wiggle; he could be the best RB in this draft.

3-DJ SWEARINGER/SS/USC

Dude has played in every game he has been eligable for since arriving om campus. Has played SS, FS, and CB for the Gamecocks. Captian of the defense that does well in all the levels of the defense. I'm a huge Matt Elam fan; however, DJ brings a similar game available a couple rounds later. Twiiter name is "Jungle Boi Swag".

4-BRIAN SCHWENKE/OC/CAL

The fact that the board fell in love with an UDFA that had never played Center in his live tells you how bad Cook is. Schwenke dominated the big DTs during Senior Bowl week; both in practice and the game (owned Jenkins). Kid has played all 3 interior O-line positions.

5- REID FRAGEL/OT/OSU

Converted TE that is still learning the position.Even Jonathan Hayes could teach this TE to block

6A- KERWYNN WILLIAMS/RB/USU

Elite in the return game. Anything he brings in the running game will be a bonus

6B- QUANTERUS SMITH/ DE/WKU

At 6'5" 248 pounds he has the build to be the hybrid Marvin loves.Prior to tearing his ACL he had 12.5 sacks in only 10 games. Small scholl product, tweener size and injury allows us to get a steal. Look at the photo and play close attention to who he just put on thier back. Did it 3 times in that game.
Hate to say it, but Chad was not a crisp route runner.
Other wise looks good
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Guy View Post
Other wise looks good
False. Chad was a very smooth and crisp route runner for many years. It was not until he let his ego grow too large that he became lazy, causing his route running to suffer. His route running was one of the biggest reasons he was such a great receiver for so many years. Once this declined, he stopped getting open.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Guy View Post
Other wise looks good
Chad may have been a lot of negative things to some folks, but nobody should suggest he wasn't a crisp route runner. He was the best route runner in the league for a number of years. Some may argue that it wasn't always the right route; but, it damn sure was crisp.

Here's a video of Chad last off season working out with Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and BG-E. Staring at about the 1:05 mark you can see even past his prime his routes are much better than Wallace's or Brown's. The others look sloppy compared to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcffM...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

Quote:
Chad may have been a lot of negative things to some folks, but nobody should suggest he wasn't a crisp route runner. He was the best route runner in the league for a number of years. Some may argue that it wasn't always the right route; but, it damn sure was crisp.

Here's a video of Chad last off season working out with Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and BG-E. Staring at about the 1:05 mark you can see even past his prime his routes are much better than Wallace's or Brown's. The others look sloppy compared to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcffM...ature=youtu.be
Wallace doesn't look too bad.......

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

I'd be good with the Teo pick depending on how it plays out. I think he'll be a very good player and the Rey comparisons represent one of my pet peeves on the board. I think it's sloppy and inaccurate.

The Woods pick I'd be good with but DeAndre Hopkins is my guy there (if he's there). I see him as being a perfect compliment opposite AJ.

Randle I need to learn more about. I think any back that the Bengals take will need to be stout as a run blocker (which is why I've been a fan of Gillislee in the 3rd).

Rounds 3 to 7 look sterling. Overall, looks fine to me
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

It's a good.draft. not great, but very good.

Rationale: I feel like we're settling for tertiary options at these positions, not the best.

Last edited by TGISunday; 02-12-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
I'd be good with the Teo pick depending on how it plays out. I think he'll be a very good player and the Rey comparisons represent one of my pet peeves on the board. I think it's sloppy and inaccurate.

The Woods pick I'd be good with but DeAndre Hopkins is my guy there (if he's there). I see him as being a perfect compliment opposite AJ.

Randle I need to learn more about. I think any back that the Bengals take will need to be stout as a run blocker (which is why I've been a fan of Gillislee in the 3rd).

I completely agree with this statement I have no idea where it came from. If anyone in the draft looks like Rey its Kevin Minter. (Strong Side ILB in a 3-4)
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
I completely agree with this statement I have no idea where it came from. If anyone in the draft looks like Rey its Kevin Minter. (Strong Side ILB in a 3-4)
Minter is much more disciplined then Rey to draw that comparison.

Te'o is comparable in that they have a tendency to leave their feet unnecessarily going for the tackle. Te'o has been much more prolific, even with Rey's awesome Sr. year. I doubt he carries the same downside.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Randle is pretty awesome at pass pro. There are some highlights I'm too lazy to find showing him blowing up dudes on pass pro.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: a Fine Pre-Combine Mock.

Overall a great draft. Not thrilled with the Te'o selection as I feel we have a better MLB in Burfict.

Love the Randle selection. He made Vacarro look silly more than once in the game.

Great C selection.

Nice mock and one I could live with.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Randle is pretty awesome at pass pro. There are some highlights I'm too lazy to find showing him blowing up dudes on pass pro.
Yep, pass protection is one of Joseph's strengths. If you watch at about the 2:10 mark of this video you'll get a taste. (Might wanna mute the speakers)
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...1a57blj9&&tt=b

Also around the 1:30 mark you see him make Vaccarro look kinds silly .

Last edited by bfine32; 02-12-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

I watched DJ Swearenger play Clemson and the guy didn't impress me at all. I watched and all I seen was hesitation and backing up. I don't see aggressive play at all from his just going through the motion.