Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214
Default Vick re-signs with Eagles...does this affect draft

Vick re-sgned with Eagles for 2013...and now rumors are surfacing in KC that Reid might pursue a trade for Foles...

Do you think KC bypasses Geno Smith, and if so, who do they select? will there be a trickle effect in the 1st rd?

Last edited by chasf316; 02-12-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24488
Default Re: Vick re-signs with Eagles...does this affect draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasf316 View Post
Vick re-sgned with Eagles for 2013...and now rumors are surfacing in KC that Reid might pursue a trade for Foles...

Do you think KC bypasses Geno Smith, and if so, who do the select? will there be a trickle effect in the 1st rd?
In short, no it has no bearing on the draft.
KC will take a QB. Whomever they feel is the best one.
Philly probably wouldn't have taken one anyways. At least not in the first.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19656

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasf316 View Post

Do you think KC bypasses Geno Smith, and if so, who do they select? will there be a trickle effect in the 1st rd?
If I'm KC, I take Joeckel with the first pick, the best WR available with the second pick and EJ Manuel in the third and hand him the reins. Hasn't their defense been a lot better than their O? I'd look for a physical RB to share carries with Charles too. Bell or Michael, maybe?

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
If I'm KC, I take Joeckel with the first pick, the best WR available with the second pick and EJ Manuel in the third and hand him the reins. Hasn't their defense been a lot better than their O? I'd look for a physical RB to share carries with Charles too. Bell or Michael, maybe?
Why? It makes ZERO sense to let a good LT go in Albert and then replace him with an unknown.

This is a horrible idea for KC. They will be just as bad if not worse in 2013 with Manuel. Who isn't that good in the first place. And should not go to a team who is in dire straights for a QB.

They need to take whomever they feel is the top rated QB. They have to. Anything else would be a lateral move.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3222
bengals Re: Vick re-signs with Eagles...does this affect draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Why? It makes ZERO sense to let a good LT go in Albert and then replace him with an unknown.

This is a horrible idea for KC. They will be just as bad if not worse in 2013 with Manuel. Who isn't that good in the first place. And should not go to a team who is in dire straights for a QB.

They need to take whomever they feel is the top rated QB. They have to. Anything else would be a lateral move.
I'd have to look at their offensive line, but couldn't they move Albert to LG or RT? He's a good LT (although trouble staying healthy), but not a great one. I still think they would be stupid to draft Geno Smith I just don't see him as a #1 worth pick. There should be a ton of options at the top of the 2nd. If they could trade down that would be awesome for them I just can't see who would want the pick.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
I'd have to look at their offensive line, but couldn't they move Albert to LG or RT? He's a good LT (although trouble staying healthy), but not a great one. I still think they would be stupid to draft Geno Smith I just don't see him as a #1 worth pick. There should be a ton of options at the top of the 2nd. If they could trade down that would be awesome for them I just can't see who would want the pick.
He is a LT by trade. You are not going to tag or sign a guy for LT money and move him to LG or RT. That would be stupid. Very stupid.
They have one of the better RT in the game.

How is Geno not worth a #1 pick?
He is probably the best QB in this draft.
QB still holds the highest priority of any position.

You cannot hold off on QB in the NFL.
Just can't.

No other pick will help this team as much as a QB. Anything else is a wasted pick and a lateral move. Period.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Albert's already been moved to LG, hasn't he? I didn't say a word about letting him go. He's no a franchise LT. Wasn't part of the reason Cassell was so bad was because he was so busy getting murdered?

It's debatable if Geno is worth a first round pick. He is most certainly not the best player in the draft. Geno is not much better than Manuel, btw. I've seen Geno do things under pressure that left me shaking my head, and not in a good way. Why did he go downhill this year? That always concerns me, especially for the first overall. Kinda similar to what happened with Jake Locker. Mighta stayed one year too long.

Hey, I'm far from an expert, but with that first pick, he's gotta be worth it. The stakes are too high for desperation. The formula would lead to taking Geno would be--need a QB, QB's go in the first round, it's the first round. But the most important element of the equation comes down to is he worth it? My answer is hell no.

The pressure of being expected to be the next RGIII(which he will never be) would ruin this kid. Hell, the pressure at WV melted him. He might end up being a decent QB but he'd never live up to that draft status. If you're in that draft spot, fans and organizations aren't exactly free with slack.

Taking a QB with the first pick when he's nowhere near worthy is what stupid, desperate teams bent on staying bad do. If a QB's not worth the first overall pick, only a moron takes him. It's really that simple.

You have to get the ultimate value out of that pick and Geno, imo, would be far from it. There are a few guys I'd take before him. I'd at least have to consider him in the top ten to consider it and I don't.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Albert's already been moved to LG, hasn't he? I didn't say a word about letting him go. He's no a franchise LT. Wasn't part of the reason Cassell was so bad was because he was so busy getting murdered?

He briefly played there. Like Whitworth. Would you suggest moving Whit to LG again? And yes he is a franchise LT. No he wasn't. Not at all. Cassel got murdered because he is awful and held onto the ball forever and a day and had zero pocket awareness.

It's debatable if Geno is worth a first round pick. He is most certainly not the best player in the draft. Geno is not much better than Manuel, btw. I've seen Geno do things under pressure that left me shaking my head, and not in a good way. Why did he go downhill this year? That always concerns me, especially for the first overall. Kinda similar to what happened with Jake Locker. Mighta stayed one year too long.

Yes Geno is. Manuel is awful. Overrated all hype.

Hey, I'm far from an expert, but with that first pick, he's gotta be worth it. The stakes are too high for desperation. The formula would lead to taking Geno would be--need a QB, QB's go in the first round, it's the first round. But the most important element of the equation comes down to is he worth it? My answer is hell no.

The pressure of being expected to be the next RGIII(which he will never be) would ruin this kid. Hell, the pressure at WV melted him. He might end up being a decent QB but he'd never live up to that draft status. If you're in that draft spot, fans and organizations aren't exactly free with slack.

Taking a QB with the first pick when he's nowhere near worthy is what stupid, desperate teams bent on staying bad do. If a QB's not worth the first overall pick, only a moron takes him. It's really that simple.

And drafting useless positions that will garner you maybe one extra win a season would be better? Give me a break.

You have to get the ultimate value out of that pick and Geno, imo, would be far from it. There are a few guys I'd take before him. I'd at least have to consider him in the top ten to consider it and I don't.
What position is going to give KC the most value out of that first pick? Seriously. Tell me.

This is just the fall out from the last 2 QB classes.
No one sees a Cam Newton, RG3 or Luck and just gives up on the class.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3916

Quote:
What position is going to give KC the most value out of that first pick? Seriously. Tell me.

If Kansas City is smart they will trade back and still take Geno Smith in the middle of the 1st like Cleveland should have done last season with Tannehill.

They can trade back for like a 1st, 2nd, and maybe a 3rd round pick.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Big difference between giving up on the class and drafting a guy two thirds of a round too high who can never meet the expectations.

As to Manuel, what hype? How is being a third rounder qualify as hype? He can be pretty impressive if you watch him with an open mind.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

I don't think KC is forced to take a QB. It used to be that the top 5 draft picks cost so damn much that it would really set you back if you were paying that much money to anybody but a big time play maker. And preferably you took a QB because if you are going to pay them that much might as well be a QB.

That isn't the case anymore. It won't break a team if they pay 1st overall money to a non premium position. With the rookie wage scale I don't think teams are going to feel the need to reach for a QB.

Glenn Dorsey is a free agent for KC and Tyson Jackson is due almost 15 million this year. Would not surprise me to see KC go for DL. Andy Reid likes his big men in the trenches.

I will be very disappointed if this draft sets some kind of record for fewest QBs taken in the first or something stupid.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5770

They'd be better off taking a LT (isn't Albert a FA this year?) or if the keep Albert, then sign the top DE/DT.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
If Kansas City is smart they will trade back and still take Geno Smith in the middle of the 1st like Cleveland should have done last season with Tannehill.

They can trade back for like a 1st, 2nd, and maybe a 3rd round pick.
Wrong. You expect me to believe that of the top ten teams, none of them will take a QB? Lunacy. Sheer lunacy.

Kansas City (2-14)
Jacksonville (2-14)
Oakland (4-12)
Philadelphia (4-12)
Detroit (4-12)
Cleveland (5-11)
Arizona (5-11)
Buffalo (6-10)
New York Jets (6-10)
Tennessee (6-10)

I can only see 2 teams on there (Detroit and Tennessee) where taking a QB makes little sense. Maybe Philly with the Vick deal. But why on earth would teams pass on QBs and risk not getting one? There is no guarantee Geno makes it anywhere near there. If you need a franchise QB, you take the guy you like best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
They'd be better off taking a LT (isn't Albert a FA this year?) or if the keep Albert, then sign the top DE/DT.
Albert is a free agent but for all intents is believed to be coming back.
How does that make them better? It doesn't. A 3-4 DE can be found in the 2nd or later.