Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Ryan Mc Ryan Mc is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,937
Rep Points: 8907
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Well, I guess I could see where we might want to take Warmack if he fell to 21, but I just dont see that happening.....
That's what came to mind for me too. I don't know if their assessment of Boling is right, but I do know we gave up a lot of sacks last year and struggled to consistently run the ball, so there's room for improvement up front. Warmack and Jonathan Cooper are two of the most highly rated guards to come out in years, and with it not being a sexy position that people generally pick high it is entirely possible that we could have our choice at #21. Picking guards in the first round back-to-back years would get many people squawking, but personally I've never understood why the position is not valued more highly. You really can't do anything on offense without good guard play.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Rep Points: 1680
bengals Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I think Whit's starting to show his age too. Can't help love the guy and what he means to the team, but if you have a 30 something LT and your next franchise LT is staring you in the face in any round. you will never go wrong drafting him. A lot of teams don't have one of those because there aren't that many to go around. It's never a mistake to get one.
Hey Wildcatsforever, that was a very good post and you hit on reality.Everyone who knows how football really works, it all starts with your lines and they Have to be topshelf.The bourbon thing was funny too!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,625
Rep Points: 17926
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

They hit it except for the fact that we need a big, bad-*** safety to roam the middle, play in the box, and make receivers and tight ends fear coming over the middle.

We also need another backer, even if Burfict does play MIKE.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.

Last edited by bradfritz21; 02-12-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,185
Rep Points: 42825
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
If I remeber correctly Boling was rated as a top 5 guard in the league for most of the year on PFF...admittedly his play trailed off at the end of the year, but that might have something to do with him playing the most snaps of anyone on our oline.

Yes, he did grade out well against inferior competition. But, he withered down the stretch run, as the competition got a lil' bit tougher.

I like Boling, he's a smart player, gives 100% effort, he just gets physically outmatched at times.

He proved he belongs on the team. I see him as a good backup, spell-starter.

For the OL to truly be able to dominate, they need to keep building it. Besides, the depth on OL is paper thin..
__________________


Here come's the....BOOM!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 6,433
Rep Points: 11165
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
If I remeber correctly Boling was rated as a top 5 guard in the league for most of the year on PFF...admittedly his play trailed off at the end of the year, but that might have something to do with him playing the most snaps of anyone on our oline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Allot of the sacks were do to Andy holding onto the ball to long. I like our oline allot especially if we start Robinson over Cook.
Just check out the Eagles game on Game Rewind to find out how well the interior line held up down the stretch. Surely the D-Linemen getting past Cook and Boling as quickly as they would have had those 2 not been there adversely affected Boling's overall rankings and makes that whole 'Dalton holds on to the ball too long' comment seem like the person making it has the attention span of a goldfish. Especially when you go further back and remember that people were complaining Dalton didn't hold on to the ball long enough for plays to develop. But let's not turn this into a Dalton thread. Boling needs upgraded in order to slow down those tough defenses, as does Cook.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,682
Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

"Boling took up the reins and led the Bengals straight into the ground"

If by ground they mean playoffs. Then I agree.

I often times find myself wishing ESPN would just go away.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,185
Rep Points: 42825
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
"Boling took up the reins and led the Bengals straight into the ground"

If by ground they mean playoffs. Then I agree.

I often times find myself wishing ESPN would just go away.

Hey man, take your head out of the sand...It was defense and ST that led the Bengals into the playoffs, down the stretch of the season.

Offense was a shrinking violet after the SD game..
__________________


Here come's the....BOOM!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,444
Rep Points: 13304
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet&Orange View Post
I knew Boling was bad, I had no idea how bad. Add in Whittworth being a great pass protector and poor run blocker and it explains a lot on why our OL needs a lot of work. Is Wharton the answer? I know he is a proven run blocker, but is just ok against the pass. It appears Boling needs a lot more work than most of us realized. Tough to run or pass when your OL is not good. Good news is Zeitler should get better, keep Smith because he is an anchor along with Whittworth. I guess looking at draft needs, we need to look at 2A or 2B for guard/center to take over for Wharton or Boling or center if Cook or Robinson can't get it done.

Great article.
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 PM
NATI BENGALS's Avatar
NATI BENGALS NATI BENGALS is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,682
Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Hey man, take your head out of the sand...It was defense and ST that led the Bengals into the playoffs, down the stretch of the season.

Offense was a shrinking violet after the SD game..
So you consider leading a team into the ground making the playoffs? Because I don't. That was my point. No doubt we owe a lot of our success to D and ST. But our offense was good enough to get us into the playoffs.

I am not surprised that our offense with a second year QB and OC, brand new starters at all three interior OL positions, no back up HB worth a squat, and the consistent shuffling of our #2 WR including a UDFA and two rookies struggled. But guess what. We made the playoffs. And the second year player starting his first games in the NFL at LG did as good as can be expected from a 4th round pick.

Boling did not single handily run this team into the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Aquapod770's Avatar
Aquapod770 Aquapod770 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,980
Rep Points: 3151
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Just check out the Eagles game on Game Rewind to find out how well the interior line held up down the stretch.
Every single player on our offensive line was utter garbage that game...every one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 6,433
Rep Points: 11165
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Every single player on our offensive line was utter garbage that game...every one.
And every game after they weren't exactly stellar; not like they were in the beginning of the year.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
BengalsRocker's Avatar
BengalsRocker BengalsRocker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,976
Rep Points: 8683
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I knew Boling was bad, I had no idea how bad. Add in Whittworth being a great pass protector and poor run blocker and it explains a lot on why our OL needs a lot of work. Is Wharton the answer? I know he is a proven run blocker, but is just ok against the pass. It appears Boling needs a lot more work than most of us realized. Tough to run or pass when your OL is not good. Good news is Zeitler should get better, keep Smith because he is an anchor along with Whittworth. I guess looking at draft needs, we need to look at 2A or 2B for guard/center to take over for Wharton or Boling or center if Cook or Robinson can't get it done.

Great article.
Take Frederick from Wisconsin.

At best he'll be our next starting Center.

At worst he could replace Boling or be a solid back-up at the G position.
__________________
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Aquapod770's Avatar
Aquapod770 Aquapod770 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,980
Rep Points: 3151
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
And every game after they weren't exactly stellar; not like they were in the beginning of the year.
True...a few games in the middle of the year they were just flat out dominating people
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
bengalfan74's Avatar
bengalfan74 bengalfan74 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,263
Rep Points: 14589
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Yes, he did grade out well against inferior competition. But, he withered down the stretch run, as the competition got a lil' bit tougher.

I like Boling, he's a smart player, gives 100% effort, he just gets physically outmatched at times.

He proved he belongs on the team. I see him as a good backup, spell-starter.

For the OL to truly be able to dominate, they need to keep building it. Besides, the depth on OL is paper thin..
Yes Boling faded down the stretch !

We need to take a serious look at LG and C this year. Both Cook and Boling should be backup's at best.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
renorvis renorvis is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cincy Baby
Posts: 587
Rep Points: 390
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Boling did fade down the stretch because this was basically his rookie season. Most if not all rooks slump at some point in the season. So to remedy this we go and draft another ROOKIE LG to replace him? The same rookie that could fade just as Boling did down the stretch? Yeah that makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Millz's Avatar
Millz Millz is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,255
Rep Points: 19786
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

I pretty much agree with this as I just read the other teams too. I guess I am in the minority of fans here, but I completely agree with what it said about Boling. Our run game to the left side of was awful, as in we couldn't get a push on that side between Boling and Whit. Hopefully Wharton can step back in healthy and take over as he was supposed to, or worst case scenario we find one in free agency or the draft.
__________________

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Joelist's Avatar
Joelist Joelist is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Justice, IL
Posts: 4,449
Rep Points: 6314
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Facts are facts - Boling did hit a wall in the second half of the season and was terrible in the playoff game. Basically teams started bull rushing him when it was clear from the tape that he lacked the power to anchor properly against that type of pass rush. It was also why the run game struggled badly to the left.

So that is the million dollar question - can Boling improve on the lack of power for next season? If not then he is a backup and we need a LG with more strength. The irony was Livings had the strength but coupled it with the football instincts and IQ of a brick - as Dallas discovered last year.

That said, we also need a faster option at RB and a reliable possession WR.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM
BronxBengal BronxBengal is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 218
Rep Points: 351
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Once again this supports my claim that Paul Alexander (offensive line coach) is horrible. He needs to go, shown the door. He was here before Marvin and we had underperforming lines and no talent. Now they have talent and the line is still underperforming. Paul Alexander is a joke for an offensive line coach. Hit the road Jack!!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 AM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
If I remeber correctly Boling was rated as a top 5 guard in the league for most of the year on PFF...admittedly his play trailed off at the end of the year, but that might have something to do with him playing the most snaps of anyone on our oline.
Boling was brutal down the stretch. Cook caught all the flack but Boling was equally bad if not worse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Take Frederick from Wisconsin.

At best he'll be our next starting Center.

At worst he could replace Boling or be a solid back-up at the G position.
I'd be all for it or taking Warmack in one if he were to somehow fall to the Bengals. But honestly I don't see them investing heavily in the interior O-line. I get the feeling that they're satisfied with their personnel there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,156
Rep Points: 18549
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
I'd be all for it or taking Warmack in one if he were to somehow fall to the Bengals. But honestly I don't see them investing heavily in the interior O-line. I get the feeling that they're satisfied with their personnel there.
I get that feeling too, though I think it's a huge mistake. There is def. room for upgrade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
DennyG2's Avatar
DennyG2 DennyG2 is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PBS
Posts: 26,429
Rep Points: 252014
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet&Orange View Post
pretty good read. I knew Bowling was bad, just didn't know that he isn't even backup worthy either...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Anderson_fan1988's Avatar
Anderson_fan1988 Anderson_fan1988 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Centerville, OH
Posts: 307
Rep Points: 440
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
Boling did fade down the stretch because this was basically his rookie season. Most if not all rooks slump at some point in the season. So to remedy this we go and draft another ROOKIE LG to replace him? The same rookie that could fade just as Boling did down the stretch? Yeah that makes sense
Well Zeitler was a rookie too and he didn't fade....although Boling wasn't a rookie so this point is moot.
__________________
I'm Garrus Vakarian, and this is my favorite team in the NFL
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
hacker hacker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,246
Rep Points: 1351
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Allot of the sacks were do to Andy holding onto the ball to long. I like our oline allot especially if we start Robinson over Cook.
Whit gives up alot of pressures on passing downs and is not stellar in the run game himself
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,156
Rep Points: 18549
Default Re: Football Outsiders/ESPN - AFC North Needs: Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyG2 View Post
pretty good read. I knew Bowling was bad, just didn't know that he isn't even backup worthy either...
It is just one guy's opinion, isn't it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.