Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499
Default Re: Need to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
Always be more aware of anything that is roasted because the added sat/trans fats as well as the increase in sugar.
What compares better to these, because these are the ones that I have been eating:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/planters-peanuts-honey-dry-roasted-49607709

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
What compares better to these, because these are the ones that I have been eating:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/planters-peanuts-honey-dry-roasted-49607709
Actually, that doesn't look too bad, as long as you do portions, might be a solid meal replacement or snack.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
That took me through the first 9 weeks. It starts out with running 60 seconds and walking 90 for a total of about 20 minutes.
In the Army, they call those "wind sprints". It's probably the best cardio exercise there is. Really gets your heart and lungs in shape.

Btw, I'm loving this thread guys. I'm 6'0" and weighed 165 coming out of boot camp in '06. I've gained 55 lbs since then due to lack of exercise and too much milk and candy bars. I'd love to get back in shape though, and I'm getting some good ideas here.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73391

General thing relating to this - I'm not overweight, but I do like to be fit. One thing that has always prevented me from running, however, is I have insanely bad shin splints from just walking for too long of a time. I don't know if it's because I just think aout it (It doesn't happen when I'm with friends, but always by myself), or if it's fixable. I've used many different kinds of shoes and other things. I just wish I could have some endurance
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
General thing relating to this - I'm not overweight, but I do like to be fit. One thing that has always prevented me from running, however, is I have insanely bad shin splints from just walking for too long of a time. I don't know if it's because I just think aout it (It doesn't happen when I'm with friends, but always by myself), or if it's fixable. I've used many different kinds of shoes and other things. I just wish I could have some endurance
Shin splints are a common thing, more than likely it's the muscles irritated or swollen, this is natural. To regulate this, I wear knee high socks (Dwyane Wade style) and stretch well. You get shin splints simply from over working, running too much, not stretching well enough or being out of shape. I also stay away from jogging for this reason, you can avoid shin splints by rowing, biking, and elliptical. Just do what you can to REMOVE the pressure from your shins. I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
In the Army, they call those "wind sprints". It's probably the best cardio exercise there is. Really gets your heart and lungs in shape.

Btw, I'm loving this thread guys. I'm 6'0" and weighed 165 coming out of boot camp in '06. I've gained 55 lbs since then due to lack of exercise and too much milk and candy bars. I'd love to get back in shape though, and I'm getting some good ideas here.
Also uesd it a lot in Football, one of the endurance builders we used. Sprint across the field (55 yards) a dozen times. Stop, do 10 push ups, 10 jumping jacks, 10 push ups, 10 jumping jacks and then do x10 100 yard sprints and then do drop down's until we could not pick ourselves up off the ground.

Not a fan of this but I think it worked. I'm not sure how much different the military is, I do know their training is very intense, especially at more 'special' levels. Ranger training is OBSURD.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3510

Starting a high fiber diet. Well, for breakfast, at least.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10620

So I went Next Level yesterday. 30 mins of cardio before work. Lifting after work. And an hour of cardio before bed. I'm trying to only eat carbs at one meal a day.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
Starting a high fiber diet. Well, for breakfast, at least.
Good idea. Just make sure you have TONS of water, as you will now be ****ting yourself a lot (thanks to the fiber). Water will help make it the best kind of 'poo' (one wipe and done). Just a solid tip for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
So I went Next Level yesterday. 30 mins of cardio before work. Lifting after work. And an hour of cardio before bed. I'm trying to only eat carbs at one meal a day.
Good work. Do not starve yourself, and do not shorten your carb intake. Carb is essentially energy, and when you workout to the extent you are (and I'm imaging you are at a high level) you will burn through the carbs/calories you intake. Just make sure you eat more, that way you will have the energy level to sustain that for a long period of time, as well as continue to get the body you want.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29939

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
Also uesd it a lot in Football, one of the endurance builders we used. Sprint across the field (55 yards) a dozen times. Stop, do 10 push ups, 10 jumping jacks, 10 push ups, 10 jumping jacks and then do x10 100 yard sprints and then do drop down's until we could not pick ourselves up off the ground.

Not a fan of this but I think it worked. I'm not sure how much different the military is, I do know their training is very intense, especially at more 'special' levels. Ranger training is OBSURD.
Regular Army boot camp usually consisted of this:

2-3 mile runs every other day (excluding Sunday) + plenty of extra exercise administered by Drill Sergeants (smokings)

Normal exercises on non-running days. This included push ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, mountain climbers, front-back-go's (these were a $#@%), as well as laps of bear crawls and crab walks. + plenty of "smokings" from Drill Sergeants.

You are graded on a scale by how many push ups and sit ups you can do in 2 minutes each, as well as your 2 mile run time.

My peaks in boot camp were 67 push ups in 2 min, 73 sit ups in 2 min, and a 2 mile run of 14:28. That was good for a score around 260. Rangers/Airborne need around 270+ minimum I believe. Hardcore stuff.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11780

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
I need to drop 20 lbs. I'm @ about 200 lbs. I'm 5'7".

Anyone else in that kind of situation?

Any tips?
I'm well over 200...lol...but also 5' 7".

At my fittest...at 23 years old, going to the gym five days a week, low fat diet, taking a diet pill as promotion for the radio station I worked at...I got down to 210.

Maybe I'm big boned? LOL!

Then my wife and I did Atkins and exercise. I went from 250 to 220 and then got the flu and dropped to 205! Then I started eating again...

Now at 43 years old I've gained and lost so many times I can't count, but I just joined a gym for the first time in a decade. The kids are old enough to stay home if my wife or I want to go and can go with us if they want to. (My son, 11, is the only one in the family who can eat whatever he wants and not gain an ounce...)

So after all that all I can say is watch what you eat and exercise.

I've learned that cutting out all soda, not eating after 8:30 at night, and eating healthy snacks so I eat 5 or 6 times a day works with a regimen of walking for me.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Man, I've been like seriously working out & swimming laps all week (the weather's been real nice), but I made the mistake of thinking I could get away w/ adding rum&cokes back into my diet: http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...c-cola-i201991 NO MORE !!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
Man, I've been like seriously working out & swimming laps all week (the weather's been real nice), but I made the mistake of thinking I could get away w/ adding rum&cokes back into my diet: http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...c-cola-i201991 NO MORE !!
And that is just accounting for Rum/Coke and not the other food/drink you have in the day. That is why soda ***** so bad.