Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: What should the Bengals do about the center position?
There is no issue at center, Cook is the man. 7 4.67%
Robinson should start, and Cokk should be the back up. 33 22.00%
Let Cook and Robinson battle it out in camp, and the winner starts. 70 46.67%
Draft a new center, a better player is needed. Include who you want drafted. 37 24.67%
Sign a new center in FA. Include who. you want them to sign. 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1787
Default Re: At center, the Bengals should

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
I'm fed up with people saying we need a number 2 receiver in the first.The Saints,Broncos,Patriots Niner's ,Texans all win without a #2 star wr.It takes a couple of years for receivers to get settled in except on rare occasions.This team hasn't had 2 good safeties in a long time and we need to take a top tier one and not another average one.I say pick 1 and 2a and 2b should be lb , s , c .Then in 3 and 4 go rb and receiver or another lb.
Well the Saints have Drew Brees throwing the ball to Colston, Moore, Graham
The Broncos have Peyton Manning throwing the ball to Thomas, Decker, Tamme, Stokely etc.
The Patriots have Tom Brady Throwing the Ball, and Wes Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Lloyd.
The Niners have Crabtree, Moss, and Davis and Manningham, and didn't really take off until CK.
The Texans have Johnson, Owen Daniels, and Walter.

We have AJ Green, Gresham and Hawkins. No one else even cracked 250 yards, and Gresham is inconsistent. Hawkins disappeared.

With that said, give me Da'Rick Rogers in the late second or third round.

Regarding the Center, I say let them battle it out in camp. I am guilty of knee jerk reaction as well, but I think Cook is getting blasted a bit unfairly. Give him an offseason to see how he bounces back.

If we do draft one, I kinda like Khalid Holmes in the mid rounds (Probably 3-4). I think we have more pressing needs early on.

Last edited by Pezmerga; 01-30-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3235

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
In 1981, The Fans...the wonderful fans wanted our injured QB to be benched after the 1st game and for us to play The Turk all season....Turk Schonert...Thats what the fans wanted.....The fans even booed the injured QB as he left the field in the 1st game....all week long on WLW the fans called in for playing The Turk.

...but that injured QB came back and Coach Gregg played him and not fan favorite, The Turk......

Coach Gregg was right and the fans were completely wrong.....Ken Anderson was MVP that year and took Bengals to the Super Bowl.

So I've long since stopped putting alot of weight into who the fan favorites are. It's always the newest flavor of ice cream. I remember Ocho kicked a 3 yard extra point once and suddenly the fans wanted him trying from 50 yards out all the time..... Fans.

Until Cook got injured, I don't remember much talk about getting rid of him by the fans. The experience Robinson got though may pay off....let them compete for the starting spot.
Loved the story, really puts fan opinions in perspective. Now lets get back to talking about how everyone stinks and should be benched for their back up. But seriously, I do prefer Trevor over Kyle at this point.

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Draft the kid from wisconsin with the raiders 2nd rounder.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmerga View Post

Regarding the Center, I say let them battle it out in camp. I am guilty of knee jerk reaction as well, but I think Cook is getting blasted a bit unfairly. Give him an offseason to see how he bounces back.

Cooks love here is that he was better than guicheck... Hes a very smart player but he can definately be upgraded.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
That all sounds well and good, but we are paying Cook starters money through 2015.
An NFL contract can be voided except for the up front money.

If he is out played by Robinson, or a rookie cut him.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709
bengals Re: At center, the Bengals should

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Cooks love here is that he was better than guicheck... Hes a very smart player but he can definately be upgraded.
I feel one of our biggest needs is to upgrade the O-line with another lineman and a for sure center/guard.But the problem we have is the coach Paul Alexander not willing to do it.I sometimes think he has a man-crush on cook.I am seeing right now here in Feb.that if cook starts the season, he may play okay, but he just gets beat alot with a fierce pass rush up the middle and it just kills drives.We need to go get a good center in the draft and allow them to battle for the job.Perhaps with Hue Jackson now in the mix more, he will have an impact on the decision-making about our line.I also think WHIT WILL HAVE A SAY-SO this season on some of this.I am stoked about our draft coming up.Its going to be another good year.TIME TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP AND MOVE UP TO THE SUPERBOWL.NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ACCEPTED AND all of us are on board with this and so our most of the players.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
The line suffered when Cook returned at the end of the season, so I have no faith in him right now.

Robinson did ok, but I definitely think competition breeds excellence, so I'd bring in someone else to compete with him and let the best player play.

I don't see any free agents that are worth a damn, so, unless someone gets cut, I'd definitely draft someone.

Barret Jones from Alabama looks like the guy that we need and I think that he'd do great solidifying our line. He's talented and versatile. He has some trouble with speed guys but that's not really going to matter too much at center because there's not a lot of speed nose tackles and he'll have help on either side of him. The speed concern was more for if he plays tackle and is out in space.
We can only hope both Robinson and Cook are bustin' their humps to get quicker and stronger during the offseason.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub2005 View Post
Loved the story, really puts fan opinions in perspective. Now lets get back to talking about how everyone stinks and should be benched for their back up. But seriously, I do prefer Trevor over Kyle at this point.
Kevin, all that stuff from the 80's about fans is all good and all that, but this is the 2013 season and believe me, fans are so much more informed now than ever, and these fans today are very good at seeing what our team needs.Granted, all of us for the most part are down on dalton as of now, but if and when he comes out and gets us started down the right path, we will be okay.What i think hurts our qb is he never came out and said anything to the fans about his play in that last game, which would have helped alot to settle all of us down. and to see him laughing it up onthe sidelines when he was getting his arse handed to him didn't help either, so we are left to wonder why the crap is going on with him as he left all of us questioning his abilities.Its only natural to do this.i will say this,OUR TEAM HAS TO COME OUT WINNING.Can't wait for the draft and the combine which starts next week.By the way I was at the freezer bowl in 81.Froze my arse off and I had a ton of clothes on.We beat the crap out of the chargers and that made it so great.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
You do realize that Travis Frederick is the #2 rated Center prospect, and has a 2nd round grade, right?

Highly unlikely that he will be available in the mid to later rounds.

If the Bengals like him, 2A may be their best chance. If he's there at 2B, it's a no-brainer.
Man, Travis Fredrick is a super good center and would look good in the nati.You need to throw out that home-grown stuff you are smokin and break down and get yourself some Jamican grown or Columbian gold.You are making yourself lose your mine.Just kiddin of course,its all good.All of us are hoping our team gets the best there is in the draft and we get to the big dance.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Cook did not look good. The Guards next to him just looked even worse.
Several of us on this board complained about Cook being pushed back and collapsing the pocket against big 3-4 NT. Cook was said to be the strongest guy on the team, but has always looked to be weak at the point of attack.

This was his year to prove he could be good, with two good Guards next to him. Then Cook stunk when he got playing time. It was the same Cook, being lost when calling protections, not picking up the late blitzers, and looking weak at the point of attack.

Robinson looked good for a UDF rookie. He did not appear to have enough strength, but used good technique even against bigger stronger NT. Robinson outplayed Cook, and the entire O line looked better with Robinson at Center.

That said I still want to draft a top notch Center, but I want him, Cook, and Robinson to battle it out in camp. If it is close give it to the best younger player as they will improve with time, and Cook is at his max. If Robinson and the Rookie look better than Cook, cut him, or trade him.

I don't see Cook out playing Robinson, let alone a top notch rookie.
Good Points, bengalatrucker.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 182

I think they should draft a C high and name him the starter. Then let Cook and Robinson duke it out for the backup spot. I really liked the flashes I saw from Robinson, but the team is rarely in position to groom talent like they did with the DLine last season. If Cook loses, the Bengals have a solid Center that can be traded for a late pick.

Honestly, does anyone even read these things?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47105

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllWill View Post
I think they should draft a C high and name him the starter. Then let Cook and Robinson duke it out for the backup spot. I really liked the flashes I saw from Robinson, but the team is rarely in position to groom talent like they did with the DLine last season. If Cook loses, the Bengals have a solid Center that can be traded for a late pick.

Ahem, no one should be "named" the starter, simply by virtue of their draft pick.

I am all in favor of drafting a C, but it should be open competition in camp, for the starting role.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5021

First let me say I felt our O-line was sometimes terrible at run blocking and over powered more than once.
Cook did well and did get better, but my opinion is Robinson seem to run block better.
Keep both if possible.
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

Cook was discussed plenty before last season, this is not a new topic. What was talked about was if Cook was average at best or was he a product of having Livings and McGlywnn next to him. The concensus was that with upgrades at G (Wharton and Zeitler) 2012 would answer that question. The injury gives him a mulligan of sorts but he did not look good at all when he came back (if he was not 100% then blame coaching).

I think cook is a product of Guicheck.....He was so bad that Cook gets away with alot because everyone remembers Eric's performance. Doesn't mean we can not demand more talent at that position (which is a big position to have talent in imo).

If it were up to me.....I draft Barrett Jones or Travis Fredrick, and let Rookie, Cook, and Robinson battle it out in TC. If cook wins, you still have great C/G depth in case of injury.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Ahem, no one should be "named" the starter, simply by virtue of their draft pick.

I am all in favor of drafting a C, but it should be open competition in camp, for the starting role.
I don't think all high draft picks should start, but there look to be some good centers who would be an upgrade over both guys. And that one may be available when the Bengals pick. Just sayin'

Honestly, does anyone even read these things?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 264

It just seemed like everything was meshing better when Robinson was starting, of course it helped we were moving the ball on offense consistently, but I liked Robinson at center regardless.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

What hasn't been discussed is moving boling to center, and starting Wharton at guard. Not saying I'm in favor, but it's an option.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20482

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
What hasn't been discussed is moving boling to center, and starting Wharton at guard. Not saying I'm in favor, but it's an option.

Why? Boling isn't that good and is a career backup option imo. Our run game to the left was horrific, and he is nothing special in pass pro.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Last edited by Millz; 02-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9362

Cook was rushed back, plain and simple. Is he the better center at 100%? Im not sure he is. We can all agree when Faine was thrust into action we were flat on offense, and the Robinson came in and things improved drastically. If you ask me putting Cook back in was a huge coaching blunder on the part of Marvin, but I cant help to think that he wasnt pressured by Mike Brown to put the higher paid player in if he's healthy. We all know Mike Browns philosophy on playing the higher paid player regardless of performance.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
I went with let them battle it out. TR flashed somewhat with the little time he had starting and Cook looked like crap after coming back.
I'd bet TR beats Cook out for the spot in Training Camp and we get a midrounder/player for cook.
I think TR beats Cook in training camp too but I think Cook is named the starter anyway
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1327

If this was Madden we could trade Rey M. for Pouncey.
Care to make some money when you're already online? I just signed up not long ago. It's not tons of money, not gonna get rich off of it, but I've made about 40 dollars in a week. Check it out if ya want!
*Yes, I make money if you complete offers as my referral, but it is IN ADDITION to what you make - I don't make any of your money*

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/690260

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/touchegg/5162/0665252600b8462356c68798bee22527
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 157

All or nothing IMO. It's an important position and if they can upgrade it with an early pick, I'm fine with that. If not, we don't need another OK option at center. We have plenty of those.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
I think TR beats Cook in training camp too but I think Cook is named the starter anyway
I believe the biggest problem with our entire line is PAUL ALEXANDER.THE guy has been here since his diaper days and he simply cannot see beyond the piano keys.We need another pair of eyes besides his and I feel like with Hue Jackson now in place, our O-line will improve.Lets face it folks,our line Must improve alot for our QB to have a better season.If COOK is the starting center they better KNOW he is the the best we have.I do believe cook can play better.Lets all hope his ankle was still an issue and he comes back this year as the man.I still feel we need to draft a center/guard.This is just what i think.I would love to hear from all of your thoughts.