Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29729
Default Re: Talk beginning to churn

This is just people speculating like they do this time of year. No proof, no facts, all conjecture and no one in either article quaoted has talked to any of the parties involved. That's news for you.

As for Wallace.....NO MORE PRIMADONA's! I want team players who buy into the system. SB winners play as TEAMs toward a common goal. I want no more "I's" in Bengals.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8605
bengals Re: Talk beginning to churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
This is exactly how it will play out, and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with it. Sanu showed he can be the possession guy, and Jones showed he can get deep. There is no reason to spend millions on a bad attitude guy when that money can be spent elsewhere. By the end of next season Marvin Jones will be compared to Mike Wallace and the FO will look like geniuses for not signing a guy for 10 mil a year when they already have the same talent on the field for pennies on the dollar.
If you honestly think that the Bengals will be set at WR with Green/Sanu/Jones.. and that Jones will be compared to Mike Wallace at the end of the season, I know some people who have a bridge for sale.

What I saw from Sanu is he's good in the red zone.. but other than that, he finished the season with 15 catches for 154 yards in 9 games... as for Jones.. when did he ever EVER show he could get deep? His longest catch on the season was 23 yards. He finished with 18 catches for 201 yards.......

So the two WRs combined for 38 catches, 355 yards, 5 TDs in 20 games worth of play. That means in a combined 20 games, they weren't even a good season for a single #2 WR in 16. If the Bengals don't get some help at WR this offseason, it'll be another wasted season.

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
If you honestly think that the Bengals will be set at WR with Green/Sanu/Jones.. and that Jones will be compared to Mike Wallace at the end of the season, I know some people who have a bridge for sale.

What I saw from Sanu is he's good in the red zone.. but other than that, he finished the season with 15 catches for 154 yards in 9 games... as for Jones.. when did he ever EVER show he could get deep? His longest catch on the season was 23 yards. He finished with 18 catches for 201 yards.......

So the two WRs combined for 38 catches, 355 yards, 5 TDs in 20 games worth of play. That means in a combined 20 games, they weren't even a good season for a single #2 WR in 16. If the Bengals don't get some help at WR this offseason, it'll be another wasted season.
At the very least, adding a proven vet provides insurance in case Sanu and/or Jones don't blossom as hoped. And really, what's wrong with having depth?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

Hmmm, Micheal Johnson or Mike Wallace?.....

Well this is easy. Mike Wallace of course and resign Gilberry.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
If we really do go into next season relying on Sanu/Jones, and neither pan out, it will be yet another wasted season.
Agreed. At least we have a plug in talent that will demand more attention than Sanu/Jones combined. Hell, might even draw a double team to take away from AJ, or at least a second thought.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
Agreed. At least we have a plug in talent that will demand more attention than Sanu/Jones combined. Hell, might even draw a double team to take away from AJ, or at least a second thought.
With AJ Green next to him Mike Wallace could put up Hall of Fame numbers. He will always see single coverage with AJ on the other side.

He had a bad year last year, at what point does he make a career decision.

Where else is he going to have the ability to get single coverage almost all the time. Lions? Cardinals ?

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Most cap room in the NFL and we will not even spend a penny of it. That blows, especially when the ugly red headed step child of the division is willing to sell of their trailers for him.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post
With AJ Green next to him Mike Wallace could put up Hall of Fame numbers. He will always see single coverage with AJ on the other side.

He had a bad year last year, at what point does he make a career decision.

Where else is he going to have the ability to get single coverage almost all the time. Lions? Cardinals ?
That might be the case if Andy could throw an accurate deep ball, only way he can do that is if he has time to throw....all starts with the O-line giving Dalton time to throw if not it doesn't matter who we have at RB or WR
Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post

For me, if our team is indeed going after a veteran wide receiver in free agency, i would love to see Gregg Jennings come here.He is mature, not a problem person at all,gets open and is still very very fast.He has a wealth of information about route running, how to get open and I think he could be a great person to have for our locker room and to help teach our receivers as well as being a for sure threat opposite AJ
I believe Mike Wallace is going to ask too much and he does have an attitude about him, but if our staff wants him bad enough, I have confidence they will make it work.I do not see us going after any of the available receivers as they usually don't.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by overton34 View Post
That might be the case if Andy could throw an accurate deep ball, only way he can do that is if he has time to throw....all starts with the O-line giving Dalton time to throw if not it doesn't matter who we have at RB or WR
He has thrown well enough to get AJ and Gresham to 2 straight pro bowls.

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Am I the only one who still has a bad taste in my mouth from recent FA bust WRs Coles, Bryant, and TO?

I realize Wallace is familiar with the NFL and the division. But he would not be familiar with the offense, the QB, the coaching staff, or his surroundings. Coming in and quickly grasping the offense and being on the same page with Dalton right away is far from a given.

Another factor that may not translate well is that a lot of his production came from Rottenturdgurggler improvising and DBs not being able to stick with him for 5+ seconds. And then an accurate deep ball being there for him to catch. Dalton so far has not been able to make those improvised plays. And his deep ball accuracy is far from elite.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post
He has thrown well enough to get AJ and Gresham to 2 straight pro bowls.
Gresham has very few deep ball catches in his career. AJ is one of the best in the league at going up and getting the ball in traffic. Not ripping Dalton. But his weakness is the deep ball. Wallace's strength is the deep ball. It doesn't match up well.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Gresham has very few deep ball catches in his career. AJ is one of the best in the league at going up and getting the ball in traffic. Not ripping Dalton. But his weakness is the deep ball. Wallace's strength is the deep ball. It doesn't match up well.
I don't think they ask Gresham to run deep very often.. the Bengals just realized you can actually use a TE for catching all of 3 years ago or so, and they still haven't realized catching TEs shouldn't be asked to block Pro Bowl DEs 1-on-1 yet, so I think we're still a few years away from frequent deep routes, and 2 TE sets where both are actually receivers.

That aside, Gresham had 2 catches of 40+ yards, which is tied for the lead of all TEs in the NFL... and 8th in the AFC in catches of 20+ yards with 8.. but you're probably right in that they're not deep catches, they're mostly YAC.

All that aside, I don't think Wallace is a good fit here. I would rather go after Bowe (or even Cruz seems worth a 1st rounder), who can run a lot more intermediate routes.

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger phoenix View Post
One thing I've learned over the years, if it's a big name, or at least a player you've heard of that's in their prime, the bengals will not sign him. If they were to sign any free agent wide receiver, it will either be someone over the hill or a teams 4th or 5th string wide receiver that we bring in to be our number 2.

You just have to face it, if we are getting a new wide receiver, they will be a rookie....or worthless.
Cedric Benson, Antonio Bryant, Donte Whitner was basically a Bengal, and how could I forget Matt Jones.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay62107 View Post
Cedric Benson, Antonio Bryant, Donte Whitner was basically a Bengal, and how could I forget Matt Jones.
Is that supposed to be a list confirming or disputing what he was saying? I'll admit I am a little fuzzy on which because it looks like a joke list, but there was no ninja or anything, and you added Donte Whitner who was actually pretty decent for the 49ers.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 484

Quote:
Am I the only one who still has a bad taste in my mouth from recent FA bust WRs Coles, Bryant, and TO?

I realize Wallace is familiar with the NFL and the division. But he would not be familiar with the offense, the QB, the coaching staff, or his surroundings. Coming in and quickly grasping the offense and being on the same page with Dalton right away is far from a given.

Another factor that may not translate well is that a lot of his production came from Rottenturdgurggler improvising and DBs not being able to stick with him for 5+ seconds. And then an accurate deep ball being there for him to catch. Dalton so far has not been able to make those improvised plays. And his deep ball accuracy is far from elite.
T.O. Wasn't bad here Chad just decided he would take the year and most likely the rest of his career off. It also didn't help that Palmer thought he could get the ball to T.O. with 4 defenders blanketing him.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay62107 View Post
3 of those guys never played a snap and the other was a reclamation project. What exactly is your point?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Coles was 32.
Bryant was 29.
TO was 36.

It left a bad taste because they were all old. Bryant was the youngest, and he had played 8 seasons with only two 1,000 yard seasons, otherwise never getting above 733 yards any other year. Still doesn't mean I want Wallace here, but it means I do want a WR who isn't 32+ years old or mediocre/chronically injured.... though TO didn't really have a bad season statistically.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

I think the money should be spread around more meaning having two WR with huge contracts seems like a bad idea to me. I would much rather sign a guy for half the price who is still good and not over 30 and/or draft a speedy WR.

55 million dollars can get spent very quickly when you have lots of FA to sign to fill your roster.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499
Default Let's Prove the Steelers Wrong !!!!!!!

"If the Steelers want to be worried about a specific team inking Wallace to a long-term deal, it should be Cincinnati. The Bengals lead the NFL with a Mike Brown-like $50 million in cap space, and the combination of A.J. Green and Mike Wallace roaming outside the numbers is scary - even if Andy Dalton is throwing them the ball. Fortunately, like waking up from a nightmare, we're jolted to reality when we remember the Bengals only sign free agents who are coming off significant incidents that drive their price down to the floor. You don't get to a point where your entire roster is barely more than half of the salary cap by paying players." http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ace-salary-cap
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56388
Default Re: Let's Prove the Steelers Wrong !!!!!!!

I dont want his attitude and arrogance here.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANJAXED View Post
I dont want his attitude and arrogance here.
lol What lack of character has Wallace shown? Hate the guy all you want, but even if character is defined deeper than the lack of getting in trouble, what has he done that should reflect negatively on him as a person??
The only thing Wallace ever did was what thousands of football players have done throughout history—he held out for more money.
There was never any indication of Wallace being a cancer in the locker room or not playing hard.
Sure, the guy is confident + carries himself w/ a little bit of "swag", but he's certainly no T.O./Ocho.

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-15-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2791

The man crush is strong with this one.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
lol What lack of character has Wallace shown? Hate the guy all you want, but even if character is defined deeper than the lack of getting in trouble, what has he done that should reflect negatively on him as a person??
Not only that, he's a one trick pony, who requires a consistently deep passer.

Stop it.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Not only that, he's a one trick pony, who requires a consistently deep passer.

Stop it.
Wallace caught touchdowns this season on fades (Chiefs), crossing patterns (Giants), slants (Denver), go routes (Titans), posts (Chargers), and broken plays (Jets). His strength is speed, but the " one-trick pony" arguments don’t really apply anymore.
But, just for the helluva it, let's take a closer look at that "one trick": Wallace would help with Dalton’s deep ball problems, because it’s pretty much impossible to overthrow him, which extends his radius. All Dalton has to do is keep it in bounds and get it past the defender and it’s going to be a touchdown. If he underthrows, Wallace can slow up without the corner catching up completely. If he hits him in stride, he’ll never be caught.

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.