Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2370
Default NHL Center Ice

With the NHL starting in 2 days, I called my DirecTV provider to order NHL Center Ice. Its only four payments of 14.99 due to the strike shortened 48 gm season. (GREAT DEAL; especially considering what I pay for Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, and League Pass) Anyways they said I am not allowed to order it untill the 19th which is fine. Heres my question.

Who should I root for?

I went to The Ohio Center for Broadcasting and I landed my first job last October as a local hockey commentator for Gilmour Academy near Cleveland, OH. I wasn't a big hockey guru before I landed the job but it didn't matter. I've learned a lot over the last few months but I know being able to watch every hockey game will definitely improve my knowledge. The only issue is I don't have a specific favorite team to follow. I use to love watching the Red Wings when I was young (Im only 21) back in the early 2000s so I was thinking about being a Detroit fan but there are so many Red Wings fans that I'd feel like a front runner. I for some reason can't find myself to like the Blue Jackets and I don't want to root for a Canadian team,

Any Suggestions?
Bengals fan since October 1, 1991 ironically the same day I was born. In what will soon be 23 years of living on this earth I have yet to see a Bengals playoff win. WHO DEY 2014-15 The year of Stripes!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 238
Default Re: NHL Center Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongsville City Schools View Post
With the NHL starting in 2 days, I called my DirecTV provider to order NHL Center Ice. Its only four payments of 14.99 due to the strike shortened 48 gm season. (GREAT DEAL; especially considering what I pay for Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, and League Pass) Anyways they said I am not allowed to order it untill the 19th which is fine. Heres my question.

Who should I root for?

I went to The Ohio Center for Broadcasting and I landed my first job last October as a local hockey commentator for Gilmour Academy near Cleveland, OH. I wasn't a big hockey guru before I landed the job but it didn't matter. I've learned a lot over the last few months but I know being able to watch every hockey game will definitely improve my knowledge. The only issue is I don't have a specific favorite team to follow. I use to love watching the Red Wings when I was young (Im only 21) back in the early 2000s so I was thinking about being a Detroit fan but there are so many Red Wings fans that I'd feel like a front runner. I for some reason can't find myself to like the Blue Jackets and I don't want to root for a Canadian team,

Any Suggestions?
Well if you want good, fast-paced hockey games & a good chunk of scoring Philadelphia, New York Rangers & ****sburg(wouldn't take them myself, because even if he's the best player Sidney is a whiny boy!). If you like underdog, gritty-defense &enjoyable figures Nashville & St-Louis(my 2nd team personnally) are as well.

BTW, if you don't want to suffer like I do, please don't take the Leafs.....
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 108610

I could promote my Florida Panthers here, whose fans noone claim to be front-runners. I actually view them as very similar to the Bengals. Like the Bengals not so long ago, the Panthers ended a long playoff drought last year (and also got bounced in the first round). They've also reached & lost their league's championship a long, long time ago. I also see both teams suffering though mediocre to decent seasons while having some very good young talent in their futures (the Panthers have had one of, if not the top rated farm system the last 2 years). They have an exciting rookie of the year candidate this year (Jonathan Huberdeau) that could be their first true homegrown superstar.

OK, so I did promote my Panthers. However, if you're looking for a US team that's maybe middle of the pack such that they're not quite so agonizing to watch, yet not so good that you would be considered a front-runner, might I also suggest Nashville or Minnesota.

Nashville has had little success in their brief history, but had a very good season last year, so they're on the rise. They also provide a team that's somewhat local for you.

Meanwhile, Minnesota - in my biased opinion, the heart of American hockey - brought in two of the top free agents last offseason in an attempt to build a winner in the Twin Cities. Through the first half of last season, they were atop the league. They faltered badly and missed the playoffs, but the work they've done to improve their team since last season ended to try to ensure they get there this year. They could be a really interesting team to watch.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Thank you both of you.

I think Im going to start readin up on the Panthers. Very interesting team
Bengals fan since October 1, 1991 ironically the same day I was born. In what will soon be 23 years of living on this earth I have yet to see a Bengals playoff win. WHO DEY 2014-15 The year of Stripes!!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator

I'm taking the same approach to the Panthers this year as I did to the Bengals. Before the NFL season began, I told a friend of mine that I expected the Bengals to go 8-8 and miss the playoffs, but I felt much better about the 3 or so years that would follow as their young guys continue to develop & with even more solid drafts. As we know, they exceeded my expectations this season. We'll see if I was right about their future.

I'm equally as skeptical about the Panthers this season. I think they'll still be solid, but everyone else in their division seemed to improve while the Panthers resisted the urge to sacrifice tomorrow for today. I'm looking forward to the start of the season for the Panthers tomorrow & hope they make another playoff run, but it's the years that follow that I'm really looking forward to. They had a very good, tough young defenseman whom they will build the blue line (defense) around make his debut last season (Erik Gudbranson), giving him a season of experience. The aforementioned Huberdeau gets to skate at the NHL level this season and put his skills on display. The offense will eventually flow through him. Next year should see top goaltending prospect Jacob Markstrom (nicknamed The Alien) make the move to the NHL full time after getting a few short stints with the Panthers last season and, likely, this year. There's a number of other highly touted prospects waiting at their minor league affiliate in San Antonio (Quentin Howden, Drew Shore) or still in college (University of Minnesota's Nick Bjugstad & Kyle Rau). Another prospect, the University of North Dakota's Rocco Grimaldi, scored 2 goals for Team USA in the gold medal game of the World Junior championships earlier this month.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27372

Quote:

Who should I root for?

Any Suggestions?
when In Doubt Find the Best Mascot that suits you because then at least you have a cool mascot/team name.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79040

if you enjoy being a perennial playoff team only to choke it away in the post season then join the capitals nation...seriously though other than last year under hunter the caps are always an exciting team to watch! Oates should bring the offense back!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
if you enjoy being a perennial playoff team only to choke it away in the post season then join the capitals nation...seriously though other than last year under hunter the caps are always an exciting team to watch! Oates should bring the offense back!

To be honest last year was the first year I actually got into hockey, I have always casually liked the Caps but had never even watched a game before last year. That playoff series against the Bruins was so intense it got me hooked.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Also, FWIW, the Cincinnati Cyclones are an affiliate of both the Nashville Predators & Florida Panthers.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 746

I like the Detroit Red Wings and New York Rangers. I know they are both popular, but I have ties to both teams. You should drive to Detroit and watch a game sometime.

A bad day at a Bengals game beats a good day in the office!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1569

The Blackhawks...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1446

Quote:

Who should I root for?

Any Suggestions?
I'm sorry to tell you, but we here in Canada have the "Don Cherry Rule" which insists all newbie hockey fans must consider rooting for a Canadian Team before they jump on any bandwagon. Our lawyers will be in touch.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 746

Don Cherry is a riot. He likes real hockey players. He tells it like it is. I used to watch him on hockey night in Canada.

A bad day at a Bengals game beats a good day in the office!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 16863

Go with the Preds !

If the Preds go out of contention I root for The Canucks...

Personally I think this is great I've always thought the season is too long...and we can get to playoff hockey sooner which is more intense IMHO

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !

Last edited by NashvilleBengalfan; 01-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

I just joined a fantasy NHL league for 20 bucks and I'll probably just root for individual players and underdogs.

I liked the Red Wings when I was little so I might just stick with them even though Detroit's roster isnt very strong
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8185

Hey, it's just hockey.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8825

i love the dallas stars yet i hate the dallas cowboys
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50487

San Jose Sharks

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post
I'm taking the same approach to the Panthers this year as I did to the Bengals. Before the NFL season began, I told a friend of mine that I expected the Bengals to go 8-8 and miss the playoffs, but I felt much better about the 3 or so years that would follow as their young guys continue to develop & with even more solid drafts. As we know, they exceeded my expectations this season. We'll see if I was right about their future.

I'm equally as skeptical about the Panthers this season. I think they'll still be solid, but everyone else in their division seemed to improve while the Panthers resisted the urge to sacrifice tomorrow for today. I'm looking forward to the start of the season for the Panthers tomorrow & hope they make another playoff run, but it's the years that follow that I'm really looking forward to. They had a very good, tough young defenseman whom they will build the blue line (defense) around make his debut last season (Erik Gudbranson), giving him a season of experience. The aforementioned Huberdeau gets to skate at the NHL level this season and put his skills on display. The offense will eventually flow through him. Next year should see top goaltending prospect Jacob Markstrom (nicknamed The Alien) make the move to the NHL full time after getting a few short stints with the Panthers last season and, likely, this year. There's a number of other highly touted prospects waiting at their minor league affiliate in San Antonio (Quentin Howden, Drew Shore) or still in college (University of Minnesota's Nick Bjugstad & Kyle Rau). Another prospect, the University of North Dakota's Rocco Grimaldi, scored 2 goals for Team USA in the gold medal game of the World Junior championships earlier this month.

Panthers looked pretty dominant on Saturday
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The biggest knock on them going back to last season was a lack of offense. Huberdeau's presence has a chance to change that. The new second line - all players new to the Panthers this year - has a dynamic young rookie at center flanked by a former first round pick with injury issues (Peper Meuller) and a 39 year old veteran with great hands (watch Alex Kovalev's goal from behind the net last night, for example). It's going to be fun to see how this line holds up. Huberdeau, at 19 years old, was born after Kovalev debuted in the NHL, yet they looked very natural together, both getting a goal and 2 assists.

On top of all this, they had some pretty good players miss the game due to injury. If` that second line hold up and they get healthy enough to provide solid depth - especially key with so many games condensed into a short season - they should make another playoff run.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Quote:
The biggest knock on them going back to last season was a lack of offense. Huberdeau's presence has a chance to change that. The new second line - all players new to the Panthers this year - has a dynamic young rookie at center flanked by a former first round pick with injury issues (Peper Meuller) and a 39 year old veteran with great hands (watch Alex Kovalev's goal from behind the net last night, for example). It's going to be fun to see how this line holds up. Huberdeau, at 19 years old, was born after Kovalev debuted in the NHL, yet they looked very natural together, both getting a goal and 2 assists.

On top of all this, they had some pretty good players miss the game due to injury. If` that second line hold up and they get healthy enough to provide solid depth - especially key with so many games condensed into a short season - they should make another playoff run.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Pretty much the Ovechkin of old tonight. Plays tough by hitting & injuring his opponent from behind near the boards. Is challenged to a fight by that player after he returns from the locker room but, instead of going toe-to-toe with a player who is not a fighter by any stretch of the imagination, just pulls his sweater over his head to avoid actually fighting. Showed good speed carrying the puck into the zone, trying some nifty moves that nearly succeeded. Cherry-picked & played poor (if any) defense. Excellent sniper shot off the face-off to tie it up. So...you know....Ovechkin.

Panthers solved their even strength offense problem, then crumbled everywhere else. Defenseman with little offensive skill taking a shot on a 4-on-1 that completely misses the net. Another defenseman making horrible cross-ice passes. Shaky goaltending. It's great to see rookie Huberdeau & Shore deliver tonight. Would really like to see them bring up their highly-touted goaltending prospect. The other rookies are getting the job done. Let's see if Markstrom is ready.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Pretty much the Ovechkin of old tonight. Plays tough by hitting & injuring his opponent from behind near the boards. Is challenged to a fight by that player after he returns from the locker room but, instead of going toe-to-toe with a player who is not a fighter by any stretch of the imagination, just pulls his sweater over his head to avoid actually fighting. Showed good speed carrying the puck into the zone, trying some nifty moves that nearly succeeded. Cherry-picked & played poor (if any) defense. Excellent sniper shot off the face-off to tie it up. So...you know....Ovechkin.

Panthers solved their even strength offense problem, then crumbled everywhere else. Defenseman with little offensive skill taking a shot on a 4-on-1 that completely misses the net. Another defenseman making horrible cross-ice passes. Shaky goaltending. It's great to see rookie Huberdeau & Shore deliver tonight. Would really like to see them bring up their highly-touted goaltending prospect. The other rookies are getting the job done. Let's see if Markstrom is ready.
Come on man...let me have some fun The Caps have ****** all year, and it finally looks like they are turning things around.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Come on man...let me have some fun The Caps have ****** all year, and it finally looks like they are turning things around.
lol...we sure have. tough stretch of games coming up and i am not holding my breath.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 16863

Preds sole owners of 2nd place in the central....

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !