Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Latest word on Travis Frederick

Looks like those of us who are hoping to see Travis Frederick in stripes could be disappointed.

Quote:
- Last year Kevin Zeitler of Wisconsin was a surprise selection in round one when the Cincinnati Bengals tabbed him with the 27th pick. Who will be the surprise of the first frame this year? At this stage sources tell me it could be Zeitlerís former Badger teammate Travis Frederick. One general manager has referred to Frederick as the best interior run blocking line the draft has witnessed in more than a half-decade. We hear Frederick will be a tight 315-pounds for the combine. Where could he end up? Sources tell me possibly the Indianapolis Colts at pick 24 as the team needs a guard or the Atlanta Falcons at pick 30. Watch what Atlanta does in free agency. We hear the game plan is to move Peter Konz, who started at guard as a rookie last season, to center and then sign a veteran guard. If they donít sign a veteran then Frederick could be an option.
How nice would it have been to have this absolute mauler next to Zeitler for the next decade. C'est la vie

From http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549
Default Re: Latest word on Travis Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Looks like those of us who are hoping to see Travis Frederick in stripes could be disappointed.

How nice would it have been to have this absolute mauler next to Zeitler for the next decade. C'est la vie

Never say never. If they asked Andy his opinion, what would he say, I wonder?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2838

That only means another player projected earlier would be available.

All about seizing opportunity, and there are no sure things or must get guys, imo.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22382

If he shows the power and dominance at 315 he showed at 340 I am very okay with taking him anywhere from 21 on back.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30163

Quote:

Falcons are doing what i want to do... Put 2 Wisconsen guys on their OL

They want Konz Frederick we want Zeitler Frederick..... considering he grades better in run than pass hopefully he slides to us at the beginning of 2 and we actually pull the trigger.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph View Post
Falcons are doing what i want to do... Put 2 Wisconsen guys on their OL
The fact that we passed on Konz for Devon Still still annoys me immensely. Konz had his struggles early but really came together for the back half of the season and showed a lot of promise. Still could be a great player, but who knows.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22382

Quote:
The fact that we passed on Konz for Devon Still still annoys me immensely. Konz had his struggles early but really came together for the back half of the season and showed a lot of promise. Still could be a great player, but who knows.
At the time, Konz served no need. (in the teams eyes)
We just signed Wharton. Drafted Zeitler.
Had Cook who is an average center. And he would finally get a season with 2 high end guards.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Not a huge fan of Frederick myself. I think he's just big, and he's going to struggle tremendously with the speed of the game in the NFL. Any team that runs a ZBS is going to pass him over every time.

I know he's a little slow because he's 340lbs, but he's going to have to drop some weight and gain some speed or he's going to have a lot of problems. If he can drop to ~320, maybe he'd be a fit, who knows.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

Although I would approach the draft looking for a C or G, I just don't see the Bengals grabbing one until later in the draft.

It seems that they are sold on:

1. Having Boling grow into his spot at LG.
2. Having a vet in Cook and a solid young guy behind him in Robinson.

I can't see them spending a top pick on an interior lineman (even though I would pull the trigger in an instant.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Latest word on Travis Frederick

Quote:

If Frederick is in the 315-320 range at the combine and shows his strength to be intact with it then I would have no problem selecting him at 21 to compete for the starting center job.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Not a huge fan of Frederick myself. I think he's just big, and he's going to struggle tremendously with the speed of the game in the NFL. Any team that runs a ZBS is going to pass him over every time.

I know he's a little slow because he's 340lbs, but he's going to have to drop some weight and gain some speed or he's going to have a lot of problems. If he can drop to ~320, maybe he'd be a fit, who knows.
Wisconsin linemen do not have many problems translating to the NFL. He played at the 325 range as a junior. Would love to have him in stripes at center.

Might want to check out some Montee Ball film and see who one of the main second level blockers was.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Wisconsin linemen do not have many problems translating to the NFL. He played at the 325 range as a junior. Would love to have him in stripes at center.

Might want to check out some Montee Ball film and see who one of the main second level blockers was.
Yeah, I'd like to see him a little trimmer than 340lbs. He might already have too much muscle on his frame to get down to 315lbs, so I don't know. He does have one of the strongest anchors I've seen. No DT in college football could push him back.

I'd just be a little disappointed if we took him at 21 is all.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2838

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
The dangers of blanket statements. Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt are far from pro bowlers to say the least. Heck, they might not be starters for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see him a little trimmer than 340lbs. He might already have too much muscle on his frame to get down to 315lbs, so I don't know. He does have one of the strongest anchors I've seen. No DT in college football could push him back.

I'd just be a little disappointed if we took him at 21 is all.
Seriously. I'd be more than a little disappointed. Folks, if the website you visit regularly to grade players has 3 rounds worth of 1st round players, be skeptical about their math background.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
The dangers of blanket statements. Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt are far from pro bowlers to say the least. Heck, they might not be starters for long.

Seriously. I'd be more than a little disappointed. Folks, if the website you visit regularly to grade players has 3 rounds worth of 1st round players, be skeptical about their math background.
Point 1: I cleared up the blanket statement. Check Montee Ball tape and see who is consistently blocking at the second level. I counter your Carimi and Moffitt with Joe Thomas and Eric Zeitler.

Point 2: Just because there are 32 first round selections does not mean their are only 32 collegiate players that are worthy of a first round grade. It just means that only 32 of them will be selected in the first round. It comes down to value and not all 32 teams are going to value things the same.

16 teams could value a player at the 32 position and 16 teams could value the same player at the 34 position. Which 16 are correct?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8727

Quote:
I agree it would have been nice to have Konz on the team this past season. Maybe we can get it done with Frederick.

I do understand picking Still when they did. They were probably thinking him to to be the future heir apparent to Pat Sims or even Peko. He may still be.

The Thompson pick was baffling though. I don't see where he fits in. A RB would have made much more sense there.

Not saying Thompson can't be a good player either. It just seemed they were banking waaaaay to much on ol' Bernard Scott.