Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Stewee28's v2.0 - Last Pre-Comine Mock

Stewee28's Last Mock Before the Combine - 2.0 Version

Free Agency

1.) Mike Wallace - some people may hate this signing, some may not even think this will happen, some may love it. I like it - Wallace is a serious threat who will help free up AJ, Gresh and Sanu. We have money to spend and I think some of it ($6-9 Mill / year) will be spent on Wallace.

2.) Michael Johnson - easy sign because he wants to be here, not to mention he gets to play next to the best DLineman in the game, Geno, who MJ knows helps pad his stats.

3.) Andre Smith - Andre should be another easy signing. Sign one of the top 5 RT in the game for a long contract that keeps his motor going. Incentives based to make sure he stays fit and ready to play.

No RBs or Safeties are good enough to be brought in. We could find better players in the draft who could come in and make an immediate impact for a MUCH cheaper price.

2013 NFL Mock Draft - With the 21st Selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals.....

trade the pick to - the Atlanta Falcons - Falcons recieve the Bengals 1st Round pick (#21) in exchange for their 1st Round Pick (#30) and their 2nd Round Pick (#60)

the main reason I thought of a trades was because of a couple reasons - (1st) I do not see the Bengals trading up for anyone, (2nd) Vacarro, Ogletree will most likely be gone and I dont see much value with anyone there & (3rd) the Falcons are in desperate need of a DE and if Montgomery is there, I think there could be a trade made and the Bengals showed last year that they are willing to trade back to grab extra picks.

Round 1 - Matt Elam - Safety - Florida

Matt Elam is the next best Safety to come out in this years draft. A hard-hitting play maker who is a proven talent at a top tier football program who happens to play in the best conference in the nation. Great run stopper, excellent in pass coverage and loves to lay the wood. He could be our Safety for a long time. It would also feel good to pick them right before the ****birds pick and kind of give them the middle finger and show them we are ready to take over the division for a long time.

Round 2A - Eddie Lacy - Running Back - Alabama

Lacy is the best back in the draft and he proved it with the SEC Championship and the National Championship. Has the size, speed, balance, hands and leg strength to be a force in our backfield with BJGE. Easily a 3-down back if needed. I think Hue would love this pick to start his RB tenure with the Bengals. Bernard would also be a great pickup as well.

Round 2B - Larry Warford - Guard - Kentucky

I think everyone knows that our Interior Line needs serious help (except for Zeitler). Boling was solid till the the second half of the year and looked horrible in the playoff game. Wharton is old and coming off a season-ending knee surgery. Warford was a stud on a awful UK team who plays in the SEC and he held his own against top teir defenses. Would come in and immediately start. Would allow Boling to be depth and create great competition at Training Camp.

Round 2C - Kasheem Greene - Linebacker - Rutgers

Greene would be perfect for our defense, especially if Burfict is moved to the middle. He was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Big East and put up stellar numbers in his career. Great in coverage and can rush the QB when needed. He would me a HUGE upgrade to a suffereing LB corps with the loss of Lawson and the long awaited departure of Maualuga.

Round 3 - Jordan Poyer - Cornerback - Oregon State

Poyer has been drafted anywhere from the Early 2nd to the late 3rd in a lot of mocks that I have seen, both on these boards and throughout many mocks on the internet. Kid is big and a phenominal CB that could come in and make an immediate impact. Pair him with Hall, Kirk, Newman, PacMan, Ghee & Prater, we could have one hell of a secondary, especially with the mix of Elam and Nelson roaming behind them. Thats just scary to think of!

Round 4 - Kyle Long - Tackle / Guard - Oregon

O-Line depth is a need whether some of you like it or not. Long is projected in the 4th round and would be a perfect fit for the Bengals. He has played D-Line and O-Line in his collegiate career. Projected as a Tackle / Guard in the NFL and will need a year or two to develop. Let him learn from two of the best, Whit and Dre. Develop and take over if Whit faulters. Not to mention its in his blood to be a great player in the NFL - dad is a Hall of Famer and his brother is doing pretty good in St. Louis.

Round 5 - Sio Moore - Linebacker - UConn

This kid is going to be a sleeper. Played in the Big East for a competing team. Not a big name but I know some of you have heard of him because a few of you have mocked him and his name has been thrown around. Moore and Greene were two of the best LB in the Big East. Relatively the same size as Greene, Moore is a coverage backer who will learn a lot sitting behind Howard / Joiner / Moch / Lemur - will add depth to a great and upcoming LB corps.

Round 6A - Josh Boyce - Wide Reciever - TCU

Boyce was an average WR at TCU - nothing spectacular but has potential. He played with Dalton for a year so why not bring someone in with some chemistry with AD. Adds depth to our WR corps and creates some competition.

Round 6B - Kerwynn Williams - Running Back - Utah State

Williams is all over this board. VERY fast running back who is a threat to take one to the house everytime he touches the ball. Small and agile; good hands; break-a-way speed. He can return punts and kicks. Versitile weapon who could be great in a limited role.

Quick Depth Chart over-view (I did not count numbes but just a brief look):

QB: Dalton
FB: Pressley / Connor
RB: Lacy / BJGE / Williams
WR: Green / Wallace / Sanu / Jones / Boyce / Hawkins
TE: Gresham / Charles
RT: Smith / Long
RG: Zeitler / Boling
C: Robinson / Cook
LG: Warford / Boling
LT: Whit / Roland

DE: Dunlap / Gillberry
DT: Geno / Still
NT: Peko / Sims / Thompson
DE: Johnson / Geathers
OLB: Howard / Joiner / Lemur
MLB: Burfict / Skuta
OLB: Greene / Mock / Moore
CB: Hall / Kirk / Poyer / A. Jones / Newman / Ghee
FS: Nelson / Illoka
SS: Elam / Mays

K: Josh Brown
P: Kevin Huber

KR: Kerwynn Williams
PR: Kerwynn Williams / A. Jones

Here Us......ROAR!!!

Last edited by Stewee28; 02-13-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19007
Default Re: Stewee28's v2.0 - Last Pre-Comine Mock

I've got no complaints with any of it. Love the idea of having three second round picks while still keeping a first. Seems like the holes would be filled, at least on paper, with depth added to boot.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 932

l like your drafts and thoughts. I agree that we attempt to trade back some, but if we stay in the first round, we arent gettin an extra second rounder. would likely be a third, and if there is anybody we would trade with, watch for it to be an nfc west team. already have done business with sf, and they have the most picks in the draft, but seatlle is the team i think we could trade with. they have quite a few picks too. For one, they are battling with sf in that division, and two, the rams have two picks in the first, one right after us. I can see a trade happening with seatlle to jump ahead of stl to nab somebody they hope will put them over the top..I am not convinced of poyer though but other than that i like it.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhodey View Post
l like your drafts and thoughts. I agree that we attempt to trade back some, but if we stay in the first round, we arent gettin an extra second rounder. would likely be a third, and if there is anybody we would trade with, watch for it to be an nfc west team. already have done business with sf, and they have the most picks in the draft, but seatlle is the team i think we could trade with. they have quite a few picks too. For one, they are battling with sf in that division, and two, the rams have two picks in the first, one right after us. I can see a trade happening with seatlle to jump ahead of stl to nab somebody they hope will put them over the top..I am not convinced of poyer though but other than that i like it.
Very insightful. Makes sense.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3023

I worry that if we spend the money on Wallace, we won't have the money in a couple years to pay for increased contracts of Green, Atkins, Dalton, and possibly Gresham. Wallace may have to only be brought in for 2 years, which I don't think he would do.

I'm not sure the linebackers are really truly improved.
Howard was our starting WILL, and he best fits that role because of his sure tackling and coverage skills. He is not the greatest of defending the run or handling TEs.
Khaseem Greene also looks to best fit a WILL, given a pretty comparable skill set to Howard.

The following link provides a good summary on the role of a SAM and the skill set needed to handle that role.
http://football.about.com/od/howtopl...Linebacker.htm

Howard and Greene may be able to cover a TE, but they may suffer against blockers in the run game. Joiner or Moch could maybe be a more complete SAM, but Joiner has been out of football for over a year and Moch essentially has been unable to stay healthy since joining us.

With Trent Richardson and Ray Rice being in our division, we still need to be able to play the run well enough. If not, teams will just slowly march down the field via running plays and screens.

I really like the offensive and secondary additions though.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yea, I didnt know if it would be a 2nd or a 3rd. Points are funny and adding it up, depending on who we traded with, it could be a late second or third pick, so I just went with a 2nd rounder. I think Atlanta could be a trade partner as well though, with Ray Edwards leaving they are looking for a top flight DE as well as OLine help. You make a great point with Seattle and San Fran too.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I worry that if we spend the money on Wallace, we won't have the money in a couple years to pay for increased contracts of Green, Atkins, Dalton, and possibly Gresham. Wallace may have to only be brought in for 2 years, which I don't think he would do.

I'm not sure the linebackers are really truly improved.
Howard was our starting WILL, and he best fits that role because of his sure tackling and coverage skills. He is not the greatest of defending the run or handling TEs.
Khaseem Greene also looks to best fit a WILL, given a pretty comparable skill set to Howard.

The following link provides a good summary on the role of a SAM and the skill set needed to handle that role.
http://football.about.com/od/howtopl...Linebacker.htm

Howard and Greene may be able to cover a TE, but they may suffer against blockers in the run game. Joiner or Moch could maybe be a more complete SAM, but Joiner has been out of football for over a year and Moch essentially has been unable to stay healthy since joining us.

With Trent Richardson and Ray Rice being in our division, we still need to be able to play the run well enough. If not, teams will just slowly march down the field via running plays and screens.

I really like the offensive and secondary additions though.
I really dont dig to much into the WILL and SAM so Ill take your word for it. I do feel like our DLine will allow for our new LBs (whoever they may be) to make a much greater impact in the running game. If our LBs were halfway decent last year, we could have been more stout with our run defense, as well as our TE coverage (which has been lacking for quite some time). Anything or anyone will be an improvment over Lawson and Maualuga.

Is Greene someone you would take? Someone else you have in mind? I am not sold on Mock....I really hope he comes out and explodes onto the scene this year; same with Joiner.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Yep. If we stay in the first round, we'd probably get a third rounder instead of a second. Which is why it may be best for us to trade back into the early second rather than later in the first. We would then pick up an early third as well, resulting in three second-round picks and two third-round picks.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I really dont dig to much into the WILL and SAM so Ill take your word for it. I do feel like our DLine will allow for our new LBs (whoever they may be) to make a much greater impact in the running game. If our LBs were halfway decent last year, we could have been more stout with our run defense, as well as our TE coverage (which has been lacking for quite some time). Anything or anyone will be an improvment over Lawson and Maualuga.

Is Greene someone you would take? Someone else you have in mind? I am not sold on Mock....I really hope he comes out and explodes onto the scene this year; same with Joiner.
I would take Greene, but solely as a WILL.

The problem with SAM is that it's really hard to find the right one. WILL is mostly coverage and tackling duties, but SAM needs to be very diverse to be able to play both the run and pass well, and really be able to handle TEs. It's very hard to find a well rounded SAM that can set the edge in run support, make tackles, handle TEs (both blocking and covering), and also still rush the passer occasionally. Jamie Collins (projected in the third round) looks to have a pretty good overall skill set to handle all roles of SAM. Sean Porter and Gerald Hodges may also be a good fit. Te'o also may not be a terrible candidate for the spot, as he has decent coverage skills, can play the run, and is a vocal leader. Not sure about his ability to handle TEs though.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-13-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5420

I this draft!