Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 685
Default 2013 Official Reds Thread

Here we go, 5 days until pitchers and catchers report. As we all know the Reds are the clear favorites in the NL Central and should be in conversations as NL favorites as well. The Reds have retained basically their entire roster from last year, and have added some good talent. With the trade for Shin-Soo Choo, the Reds received a proven lead-off hitter and also got rid of their biggest hole in the line-up last year in Drew Stubbs. After the trade the line-up should look like this:
1.Choo-CF
2.Phillips-2B
3.Votto-1B
4.Ludwick-LF
5.Bruce-RF
6.Frazier-3B
7.Cozart-SS
8.Hanigan-C

The Reds also have some solid depth at all positions. Chris Heisey provides solid relief for all 3 outfield positions. Xavier Paul showed last year that he is a very viable pinch hitter. Scott Rolen is still a solid defensive player and should be able to give Frazier some days off along with being a solid pinch hitter. I'm just hoping Dusty realizes Frazier is the man of the future and that they don't split time. The Reds also picked up former Indians utility man Jason Donald. Back-up Catcher Devin Mesoraco struggled last year, hopefully he lives up to his potential this year. One of the biggest questions offensively this year will be whether or not we will see big time prospect Billy Hamilton this year. I guess we will see.

Pitching looks like it should be one of the best rotations in the league. However, that largely depends on the transition of Aroldis Chapman. If Chapman struggles in Spring Training as a Starter I think the Reds should keep him at closer. The starting rotation should look like this:
Cueto-R
Latos-R
Arroyo-R
Bailey-R
Leake/Chapman-R/L

If Chapman does start Jonathan Broxton looks to be the front runner to take the closer role. The Reds do return their fantastic bullpen from last year, which had the best ERA in MLB last year. Guys like Arrendono, Hoover, Simon, Ondrusek, and Marshall were all impressive last year. Hopefully, with Chapman's transition the bullpen can still remain dominate. As far as other possibilities to the pitching rotation top prospect Tony Cingrani may be a call-up sometime throughout the year and the Reds also signed LHP Manny Parra.

Overall, I don't see many flaws in this team. The Reds have a very steady line-up and Votto should finally come to the plate with players on base unlike last year. This should result in a lot more runs. Along with the offense the defense is very solid. Shin-Soo Choo is no Drew Stubbs in the outfield but his offense production should cancel that out. Like a I said earlier the biggest question mark going into spring training is what will happen with Aroldis Chapman. However, when it is all said and done this Reds team should make a push for a World Series Championship

Pre-Season Predictions:
Bruce finally puts together a full season. .280, 35 HR, 110 RBI
Phillips, Votto, and Bruce all win gold gloves
Chapman returns to closer role. (Personally what I prefer, don't really think it will happen)
Cueto, Bailey, and Cueto all have ERA less than 3.50
Billy Hamilton makes an appearance
Reds win at least one playoff series
Dusty Baker gets bashed all year long by Reds Fans everywhere

Go Reds!

Thanks NashvilleBengalsFan for the sig.

Gone But Not Forgotten RIP Chris
12-17-09

Last edited by xela- whodey; 02-08-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14134
Default Re: 2013 Official Reds Thread

Super excited for the upcoming season! Choo at leadoff is a huge boost to the offense plus we can finally leave Phillips in the two hole for the entire season where he always belonged.

I hope Chapman pans out as a starter. Putting him on the mound every fifth day would make this rotation so nasty!

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 884

It would be great if Cincinnati wins the World Series and Super Bowl this coming year. It is possible.

You said bare your sole. Wait, you didn't mean the shoe? Well, when you hear I'm a Browns fan you'll understand.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Dayton View Post
Super excited for the upcoming season! Choo at leadoff is a huge boost to the offense plus we can finally leave Phillips in the two hole for the entire season where he always belonged.

I hope Chapman pans out as a starter. Putting him on the mound every fifth day would make this rotation so nasty!
We should have a great year.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

Chapman has a starters background so i expect the transition to be relatively successful. They might have to spell/rest him a few times in some of his scheduled starts, just to let his arm build up, but Leake is a decent option to do that. My biggest question mark is Votto. Hopefully that knee is fully healed. The Reds are a World Series contender with a healthy Votto.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

I do not believe Rolen has resigned, I wouldnt mind him back only as a back up to Frazier and Donald.

We will not see Billy Hamilton at all this year! Aint gonna happen. He will be in Louisville all year unless something tragic happens to Choo, and even then, I dont think you would see him. He has a lot to work on in the outfield as well as fine tune his offensive approach. There is absolutely no need to rush him. He will be our opening day starter and lead off hitter in 2014.

I may be one of few who strongly disagrees with Chapman moving to the rotation. Just is not a good idea to me and I think this Reds team is going to to sorely pay for this stupid move. He is a DOMINANT closer who will top Triple Digits on the radar gun. He is the perfect definition of a closer (throws serious heat with a nasty slider). He will throw low to mid 90s in the rotation because there is absolutely no way his arm will hold up trying to throw as hard as he can - he proved that this year needing a rest after only 70 innings. He is going to end up on the DL before we are out of June. He only has two pitches, one of which he still struggles to throw consistently (slider). With him in the bullpen, we would have the most dominant bullpen in the league.

Ondrusek and Arredondo need to improve drastically over last year. They both started off great and fell apart BIG TIME at the midway point to the end of the season.

Dusty still scares me with his management.

There is no reason this Reds team shouldnt be in the NLCS this year!! Best Reds team we have had since the 1990 World Series Champs!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 38821

Did we replace Cairo and Valdez? Somebody please say yes.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Neither are listed on the roster, so I'm guessing so. But don't quote me

12-17-09
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14134

Quote:
Yeah with Donald and Hannahan...

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 38821

Quote:
I don't know anything about them but I'll take it!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8293

Quote:
Thank god. I knew Cairo was a FA, but I had a feeling deep down in the pit of my belly that they'd bring him back.

Instant upgrade right there.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8385

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xela- whodey View Post
Neither are listed on the roster, so I'm guessing so. But don't quote me
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Thank god. I knew Cairo was a FA, but I had a feeling deep down in the pit of my belly that they'd bring him back.
Instant upgrade right there.

They also signed Olivier (or something like that) as a reserve catcher in case Mesoraco can't handle it again. I think he starts in LVL like Navarro did last year.

I would rather have the flame thrower affecting every game he can instead of every 5th day, but he's making starter money, so...

Pitchers and catchers report today...first real spring training game in 12 days

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
They also signed Olivier (or something like that) as a reserve catcher in case Mesoraco can't handle it again. I think he starts in LVL like Navarro did last year.

I would rather have the flame thrower affecting every game he can instead of every 5th day, but he's making starter money, so...

Pitchers and catchers report today...first real spring training game in 12 days
Miguel Olivo http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...livomi01.shtml

The Reds also have avoided arbitration with Mat Latos with a 2 year deal, 11.5 MIL

12-17-09
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8385

Quote:
The Reds also have avoided arbitration with Mat Latos with a 2 year deal, 11.5 MIL

That's good to know. So our rotation is set? Or is Homer going through arbitration?

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

Reds President of Baseball Operations and GM Walt Jocketty said of 3B Scott Rolen, who will not be attending camp with the Reds “Scott made significant contributions to our recent success, it isn’t a coincidence we made the playoffs in 2 of his 3 full seasons here (Scott) made a huge impact in Cincinnati with his work ethic and leadership on the field, in the clubhouse and in our community.”

Rolen said, "Right now I’m simply not ready to make a commitment. I would like to leave my options open, without closing any doors I am looking forward to all of the challenges, both personally and professionally, I will face in the future.”

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
That's good to know. So our rotation is set? Or is Homer going through arbitration?
Bailey is the only remaining player on arbitration

12-17-09
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 54270

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Chapman has a starters background so i expect the transition to be relatively successful. They might have to spell/rest him a few times in some of his scheduled starts, just to let his arm build up, but Leake is a decent option to do that. My biggest question mark is Votto. Hopefully that knee is fully healed. The Reds are a World Series contender with a healthy Votto.
Listened to a little of Marty's radio show tonight, who said that Votto is 100% right now. No worries!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 884

Opening Day is coming up in about 7 weeks. Can't wait to see the Reds. Should be a good year.

You said bare your sole. Wait, you didn't mean the shoe? Well, when you hear I'm a Browns fan you'll understand.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

"Miguel Cairo is retiring after a 17-year career, but he’s staying with the Reds and moving into the front office as a special assistant to general manager Walt Jocketty."

I like the move, at least he isn't on the actual team anymore. Hopefully his playing days help him have a good eye for talent.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-front-office/

Also, Scott Rolen will not attend camp either. Maybe another front office guy?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/st...-training-camp

12-17-09

Last edited by xela- whodey; 02-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Chapman moving to the rotation scares the daylights out of me. I think this is a very risky move. My personal opinion is that he should stay the closer and let him effect a ball game every 1-2 days rather than every 5 days.

He also isn't going to throw 100 MPH over the entire season every 5 days. He isn't Justin Verlander and doesn't have his stamina.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

The Reds resigned Bailey to 1-year, 5.35 MIL. That is the end of arbitration for this off-season

12-17-09
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Chapman moving to the rotation scares the daylights out of me. I think this is a very risky move. My personal opinion is that he should stay the closer and let him effect a ball game every 1-2 days rather than every 5 days.

He also isn't going to throw 100 MPH over the entire season every 5 days. He isn't Justin Verlander and doesn't have his stamina.
I agree it scares me too and I think it's the wrong move but I guess time will tell. To me I just don't see why you risk it. Bailey needs to show more consistancy but he was looking really good to me down the stretch last season, and beyond him the pitching is fine ( not counting leake)

Also i'm really excitied to see what Todd Fraizer can do in his second season. He is quickly becoming my favorite player on the Reds.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

Just bought tickets for the Red's Clubhouse tour for Saturday. I already took a ballpark tour last year, but this tour includes both clubhouses, the broadcast booths, and the field level media room. Also, you still get the standard ballpark tour which includes the dugouts, crosely terrace, behind home plate, club seats, etc. And lastly it includes a ticket to the HOF museum. So excited!!

12-17-09
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1839

Quote:
Just bought tickets for the Red's Clubhouse tour for Saturday. I already took a ballpark tour last year, but this tour includes both clubhouses, the broadcast booths, and the field level media room. Also, you still get the standard ballpark tour which includes the dugouts, crosely terrace, behind home plate, club seats, etc. And lastly it includes a ticket to the HOF museum. So excited!!
If you dont mind me asking, how much did that cost and where can you find tix for that?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange85 View Post
If you dont mind me asking, how much did that cost and where can you find tix for that?
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/hof/hof/tours.jsp

Everything you need to know should be on this site. The clubhouse tours end soon though, I think end of March. The Ballpark Tours go all season long. And if the clubhouse tour is anything like the Ballpark tour it is definitely worth it. I'll let you know how it goes.

The HOF museum costs $10 by itself for adult, so imo it's a great deal for the added experience.

12-17-09

Last edited by xela- whodey; 02-22-2013 at 01:29 AM.