Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14119
Default Re: Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyche'sWarrior View Post
Bettis also had one of the NFL's best ever blocking backs plowing the way for him in Tim Lester. Ever wonder why Tim went to Pitt with Jerome from LA? It was no coincidence. Tim Lester was a one man wrecking ball, I watched him play college ball at EKU, he was a beast, even after knee surgery. The only thing that ****** for Timmie was that he got the Cal Naughtin, Jr. shaft....they never gave him the ball, and he was quite a load to bring down himself. If Bettis goes in, he should request they hang Lester's shoulder pads and helmet in his display....they plowed the way for him to be great. Bettis was great, but he had some help, Dillon had NO ONE.
Rep points for use of "The Magic Man" aka Mike Honcho.

PS

Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Pretty much agree. If Dillon could have been on at least a half-competent team as opposed to those horrific Bengal teams he was on, Dillon's chances for the HoF would probably be in the no-brainer category.
But see to me that is even more reason to put him in the HOF, he produced on a bad team. If he does go in, I'm sure he will chose to go in as a Patriot.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I was told that practicing makes perfect, then I was told that no one is perfect, so I stopped practicing - Stephen Wright
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnglFn Forever View Post
If he does go in, I'm sure he will chose to go in as a Patriot.

I'm not so sure about that. He supposedly made amends with the Bengals. Plus he spent 7 years (out of 10) here and broke numerous records here. It would look silly for him to go as a Patriot. It would be like Chris Carter going as an Eagle or Dolphin.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
First Tim came to the Steelers a year befor Bettis. Second he only played with Bettis for his first 3 years with the Steelers. Third the man that plowed the way From 2000-2005 was Dan Kreider.

Dillon should be on the ballot.
....was not aware, thanks for setting the record straight. I'm not really up to par on Steelers roster trivia..... I thought he was there longer than that, but my memories of matters such as this has been replaced with quotes, numbers, and job specs. That said, I just remember Tim blocking for Jerome in both towns, and being that Tim played at my alma mater, I obviously had a little bias for him. He was a good lead back, and was a fine collegiate runner. You should have seen him take over games.

I agree, they are both worthy of the Hall. We only have ONE representative, Corey and Kenny Anderson should be there too. Corey was the lone bright spot on some HORRENDOUS teams. We weren't even NAIA caliber during his time in stripes.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12017

"Tim blocked for future Hall of Fame running back Jerome “The Bus” Bettis. Tim was nicked named “The Bus Driver” as he paved the way for “The Bus” to become the 5th leading rusher in the NFL. Tim also blocked for Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys."

http://sportsworld.org/tim-lester
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19797

I agree, they are both worthy of the Hall. We only have ONE representative, Corey and Kenny Anderson should be there too. Corey was the lone bright spot on some HORRENDOUS teams. We weren't even NAIA caliber during his time in stripes.

The Rattler needs to go in before either of those two.

Yes, before Bettis as well...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19283

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnglFn Forever View Post
But see to me that is even more reason to put him in the HOF, he produced on a bad team. If he does go in, I'm sure he will chose to go in as a Patriot.

True, but what I meant to say was that he would have probably put up better numbers than what he did here by being behind decent to good o-lines, and in better offenses. Not to mention having better defenses that would have gave him more plays in a game, either by forcing the O's to punt sooner, or by not letting the team get down in points forcing them to pass more lol.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 10
Post Re: Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
Corey Dillon made this team watchable during some pretty dark times. There's no denying he left on bitter terms, and I disliked him for a while for doing that. However, I believe he should make it into the HOF, but we know he won't.
So true!!!!!! Wish we had Dillon in his pime with the team we have now!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7580

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Dillon was a much better back the Bettis, but Jerome played on a much better team.

Might not be fair, but believe Bettis gets into the HOF and Dillon never gets his foot in the door. He spent too much time as a Bengals, in spite of his numerous record setting performances.
Agreed. Bettis will get in in a year or two here, he's got name recognition. People are far less familliar with Dillon. Yeah, he put up some numbers, but it's one of those deals "he played for the Bengals...who is that again?" I've also heard him knocked BECAUSE he was the Bengals only weapon during most of his career. "well he wouldn't have put up great numbers on a great team". That's total hogwash given what he did with the Patriots, but still. Dillon faces the same problem as all great Bengals. He was a Bengal.

"C'mon Jon! Someday this team will beat Pittsburgh for a division title!"

"Yeah? Let me guess. You'll be in the Hall of Fame too, right?"
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Here's some more facts to support the argument that Dillion is much better than Bettis:

-In Bettis' 13 seasons, he only averaged above 4.0ypc 4 times. Dillion only averaged under 4.0ypc 3 times in 10 seasons

-Bettis only eclipsed 10 rushing TDs 2 times. Dillon managed to go 10+ TDs 5 times, or half his career.

-Bettis fumbled more often than Dillon.

-Bettis had less than half the receiving TDs Dillon did. 3 to CDs 7.

If Dillon had as many carries as Bettis:
14938 yards
109 tds

If you flip it, these are Bettis' numbers if given Dillon's number of carries:
10210 yards
68 tds

No comparison.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7044
bengals Re: Corey Dillon vs. Jerome Bettis

To compare the two, Dillon is heads and shoulders above Bettis, but to the H.O.F. voters Bettis will get in, because of the team, and the success the Steelers had.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 107

Over the course of their entire careers, I don't think there's much doubt Dillon was the better player. I'm not really sold on Bettis being a Hall of Famer at all though- Dillon is quite borderline in my opinion.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I've seen Bettis mentioned as a possible HOF'er, yet I've never heard Dillon's name mentioned as a candidate for the HOF. Imo, Bettis is getting a lot of play because he spent most of his career playing for a storied franchise (Steelers), whereas Dillon mostly played for the Bengals during the lost decade. But when you actually compare numbers and use common sense, Dillon comes out on top:

Yards per carry:

Dillon: 4.3
Bettis: 3.9

Rushing yards per game:

Dillon: 74.9
Bettis: 71.2

Total yards per game (rushing/receiving)

Dillon: 87.7
Bettis: 78.7

Touchdowns per game (rushing/receiving)

Dillon: 0.59
Bettis: 0.49

Then you have to consider other things, like the fact that Dillon consistently saw 8-9 man fronts during his career with QB's like Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Gus Frerotte and Jon Kitna. Dillon also had more game breaking runs. Dillon had at least one 50 yard run in 7 years of his 10 year career. Bettis only had 2 runs over 50 yards in his entire 13 year career.

As for rings, they both have one. But Dillon got his as the centerpiece of his offense with 1635 yards. Bettis got his while being relegated to short yardage/goal line duty. All things considered, I don't see how anyone could believe Bettis was a better back. I know some Steelers homers will come in here and make excuses for all the numbers, but it is what it is.

While I do agree, they both were good, you can't just post stats that make your arguement, you have to post all stats. Bettis played in 192 games to Corey's 150. Jerome started 153 to Corey's 132. Jerome had 94 touchdowns to Corey's 89. Jerome has 13662 rushing yards to Corey's 11241. Jerome has 15111 all-purpose yards to Corey's 13154. Jerome played in 13 seasons in the NFL to Corey's 10 which shows his longevity. Jerome had 6 pro bowls to Corey's 4. Jerome even threw 3 touchdown with 1 inception, while Corey has 0 touchdowns to 1 interception. Jerome also had 730 first downs which is an important stat to Corey's 580, and Jerome only lost 5 more fumbles than Corey, so it's not like he had soo many more, when he had more touches than Corey as well.
I was just pulling numbers out of my ***.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
Flacco is not elite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
I root for a team that has the most Championships
In response to making a sig bet on who ends up higher in the standings between the Ravens and Steelers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
Too easy....I'll take this bet.

Last edited by Captain Obvious; 03-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.