Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Bengals Fan For Life! Bengals Fan For Life! is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 207
Rep Points: 182
Default Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Andre gave us two crappy years, one average year and one great year. Will he revert back to 2008-2009 for once he gets a contract? I suppose that is why we could sign MJ and tag Andre so Andre is once again in a contract year?

DJ Fluker is seeking to make more sense at #21 pick.

Anyone see it working out where we can get MJ and Andre signed for multiple yrs. and still get 2012 production out of Andre?

or should we cut our losses...sign MJ big...put money away for Geno and AJ and draft OL early this year?

Please offer ideas because I can't sleep due to this mental quagmire.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Willminus2's Avatar
Willminus2 Willminus2 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Murray, Ky
Posts: 209
Rep Points: 94
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

That's a wonderful question honestly. I'm afraid that if we give Andre a big contract that he'll revert to his old ways too. I too would also rather give MJ a longer contract and then franchise tag Andre. However, I don't see the harm in drafting an offensive tackle high if the pick is there, I certainly wouldn't reach for one.
__________________
1. Matt Elam S
2a. Giovanni Bernard RB
2b. Barret Jones G/C/T
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Billgrus's Avatar
Billgrus Billgrus is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 894
Rep Points: 1010
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Andre Smith is more trustable than anyone else the Bengals are gonna find imo. He's had injury issues in the past, and Collins is no joke...but Andre has proven he can play at an extremely high level. It seems best to keep him until he proves he can't, or there is a definite replacement who can do better imo.
__________________
Roger Goodell came from Jamestown NY.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,735
Rep Points: 47019
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgrus View Post
Andre Smith is more trustable than anyone else the Bengals are gonna find imo. He's had injury issues in the past, and Collins is no joke...but Andre has proven he can play at an extremely high level. It seems best to keep him until he proves he can't, or there is a definite replacement who can do better imo.

+1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,106
Rep Points: 2897
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

The Andre situation is an interesting one. Having to find a replacement would be taking a step backwards and if your going to sign a FA T then he is one of the best.
Really we have the money, it is just does the FO want to give it to him. To bad
we didn't pick up that fifth year option.

I imagine they will try and write incentives into the contract like his last one and that will be a big hang up. He knows he can get paid on.

I would rather sign MJ, and tag Andre the tag would cost 9.2 Mil.

If they don't sign him at all, that right away becomes the biggest need IMO, It would be nice if Collins could step in/up.

Remember 80% of the cap has to be spent so some money is going somewhere.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 AM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
Andre gave us two crappy years, one average year and one great year. Will he revert back to 2008-2009 for once he gets a contract? I suppose that is why we could sign MJ and tag Andre so Andre is once again in a contract year?

DJ Fluker is seeking to make more sense at #21 pick.

Anyone see it working out where we can get MJ and Andre signed for multiple yrs. and still get 2012 production out of Andre?

or should we cut our losses...sign MJ big...put money away for Geno and AJ and draft OL early this year?

Please offer ideas because I can't sleep due to this mental quagmire.
So let me see if I follow your logic....We invest a high pick, a ton of dough and energy in Andre Smith and get no production out of him for two years. Over the past two seasons, Andre develops into arguably the best RT in football. So you think the Bengals should make all the investment, develop this young man than let someone else reap the rewards and sit on what, 54 mil?

There are risks with all players. Resigning one of your best young players that you've developed should be a no brainer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
goalpost goalpost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 3,958
Rep Points: 3390
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Can't let him walk. At worst we tag him. He's only 26, and, i guess only the Bengals know about his maturity. But we know his capabilities....

Here's a nice tidbit under his bio...
Helped RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis rank first in NFL in third-and-one rushing conversions, edging Houstonís Arian Foster by one (14-13), and Green-Ellis had only 15 attempts to Fosterís 19
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Bengals Fan For Life! Bengals Fan For Life! is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 207
Rep Points: 182
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
So let me see if I follow your logic....We invest a high pick, a ton of dough and energy in Andre Smith and get no production out of him for two years. Over the past two seasons, Andre develops into arguably the best RT in football. So you think the Bengals should make all the investment, develop this young man than let someone else reap the rewards and sit on what, 54 mil?

There are risks with all players. Resigning one of your best young players that you've developed should be a no brainer.
I don't have logic - hence the questions marks and the tone. Maybe you missed that? (that was a question mark again.)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Bengals Fan For Life! Bengals Fan For Life! is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 207
Rep Points: 182
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgrus View Post
Andre Smith is more trustable than anyone else the Bengals are gonna find imo. He's had injury issues in the past, and Collins is no joke...but Andre has proven he can play at an extremely high level. It seems best to keep him until he proves he can't, or there is a definite replacement who can do better imo.
I am not sure how it has been determined that he is 'more trustable than anyone...' I get that he is one of the best at his position...but are you seriously that confident that he won't revert? If so, based on what evidence...because there is evidence to the contrary.

Don't get me wrong. I love the kid. I am just concerned he will go back to '08 form.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,507
Rep Points: 20610
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
I am not sure how it has been determined that he is 'more trustable than anyone...' I get that he is one of the best at his position...but are you seriously that confident that he won't revert? If so, based on what evidence...because there is evidence to the contrary.

Don't get me wrong. I love the kid. I am just concerned he will go back to '08 form.
I'd say it's a good question and a valid concern. Maybe the people who know him would say he's very mature ow but we don't know that on the outside looking in.

Also, do RT's really command mega-deals?
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,244
Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd say it's a good question and a valid concern. Maybe the people who know him would say he's very mature ow but we don't know that on the outside looking in.

Also, do RT's really command mega-deals?
Willie Anderson.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,244
Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
I am not sure how it has been determined that he is 'more trustable than anyone...' I get that he is one of the best at his position...but are you seriously that confident that he won't revert? If so, based on what evidence...because there is evidence to the contrary.

Don't get me wrong. I love the kid. I am just concerned he will go back to '08 form.
When you say revert then I would have to ask you to explain. His first season was injury filled. Since then he has gotten himself into the best shape he has ever been in and has come to camp ready to play. He appears to be past the foot injury that was plaguing him so I am not sure what you are getting at with the term revert.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,507
Rep Points: 20610
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Willie Anderson.
Good point. That's true, but he was a cornerstone of the team. Would he have gotten that kind of deal from someone else and is Andre a cornerstone of this team?
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,607
Rep Points: 18185
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
Andre gave us two crappy years, one average year and one great year. Will he revert back to 2008-2009 for once he gets a contract? I suppose that is why we could sign MJ and tag Andre so Andre is once again in a contract year?

DJ Fluker is seeking to make more sense at #21 pick.

Anyone see it working out where we can get MJ and Andre signed for multiple yrs. and still get 2012 production out of Andre?

or should we cut our losses...sign MJ big...put money away for Geno and AJ and draft OL early this year?

Please offer ideas because I can't sleep due to this mental quagmire.
He gave us one average year, one horrid, one great, and one elite.

Not 2 crappy and one good.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Old White Guy's Avatar
Old White Guy Old White Guy is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Blue Ash
Posts: 1,228
Rep Points: 1785
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

The bengals need to sign Andre, but still draft some depth for the OL.
Not 7th rd more like the 3rd.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,244
Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Good point. That's true, but he was a cornerstone of the team. Would he have gotten that kind of deal from someone else and is Andre a cornerstone of this team?
To early to tell.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,006
Rep Points: 1709
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
To early to tell.
I honestly hate having to think or worry about if one of our key lineman is going to either blow up by overeating and being lazy or both when they are super good ones out there like zeitler or whit.IF this stupid dude who carrys a gun to the airport and says i forgot it was in my bag can't stay in shape and get BETTER this year, I would feel much better if our coaching staff drafts his future replacement.We can always use the draft choice eventually and I would not want to go into the season with a question mark about my starting lineman.I believe Andre is a good lineman, I just question his mental state.Maybe he just can't help himself to overeat and maybe he is just naturally lazy and has to push himself to stay in shape.There is people like that all over the league.I hope they go after CHANCE WARMARK,TRAVIS FREDRICK,BARETT JONES,D.J.FLUKER,OR RICKY WAGNER.ALL WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE. And I do believe we will draft someone for the line.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
wildcats forever's Avatar
wildcats forever wildcats forever is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,314
Rep Points: 54923
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
I honestly hate having to think or worry about if one of our key lineman is going to either blow up by overeating and being lazy or both when they are super good ones out there like zeitler or whit.IF this stupid dude who carrys a gun to the airport and says i forgot it was in my bag can't stay in shape and get BETTER this year, I would feel much better if our coaching staff drafts his future replacement.We can always use the draft choice eventually and I would not want to go into the season with a question mark about my starting lineman.I believe Andre is a good lineman, I just question his mental state.Maybe he just can't help himself to overeat and maybe he is just naturally lazy and has to push himself to stay in shape.There is people like that all over the league.I hope they go after CHANCE WARMARK,TRAVIS FREDRICK,BARETT JONES,D.J.FLUKER,OR RICKY WAGNER.ALL WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE. And I do believe we will draft someone for the line.
Hypothetically speaking, if Wharton comes back healthy and wins back his LG spot, look at our backups on the line: Robinson/Cook,Roland, Boling, and Collins. Is a draft pick like a muli-talented Barrett Jones-type player an upgrade over any of these? IF so, drafting him seems like a no-brainer to me, whether we re-sign Smith or not. A high quality OLine draft pick wouldn't go to waste IMHO.
__________________
" Insignificant events can take on monumental proportions when your head is full of practically nothing." - Grace Slick
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
BengalsRocker's Avatar
BengalsRocker BengalsRocker is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,373
Rep Points: 10370
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
Hypothetically speaking, if Wharton comes back healthy and wins back his LG spot, look at our backups on the line: Robinson/Cook,Roland, Boling, and Collins. Is a draft pick like a muli-talented Barrett Jones-type player an upgrade over any of these? IF so, drafting him seems like a no-brainer to me, whether we re-sign Smith or not. A high quality OLine draft pick wouldn't go to waste IMHO.
Even more so... hypothetically if Wharton is still damaged goods and Boling plays like he did down the stretch. That high quality pick would not go to waste.

That's why picking a player like Frederick would not be bad IMO.

At best he may be able to step in at Center. At worst he could actually start at Guard or be a solid back up to either Boling or Robinson/Cook if one should go down.

Let's also get Roland out of there. If all he's going to be is an extra blocking TE. We might as well get an actual blocking TE and send him packing.
__________________
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,507
Rep Points: 20610
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
To early to tell.
Also, is it a slam dunk that the Bengals want to keep him?
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Good grief people. Stop it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,244
Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Even more so... hypothetically if Wharton is still damaged goods and Boling plays like he did down the stretch. That high quality pick would not go to waste.

That's why picking a player like Frederick would not be bad IMO.

At best he may be able to step in at Center. At worst he could actually start at Guard or be a solid back up to either Boling or Robinson/Cook if one should go down.

Let's also get Roland out of there. If all he's going to be is an extra blocking TE. We might as well get an actual blocking TE and send him packing.
Talk is that Frederick will be at the 320 range for the combine. If he is and shows he has full strength at that weight then we could take him at 21 and I would be fine with it. Kid could be a dominant center.

Boling will be fine IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Bengal4ever68's Avatar
Bengal4ever68 Bengal4ever68 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,401
Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

I would tag Andre just because i'm on the fence about signing him long term. He showed up's and downs. I think he needs one more year to prove himself worthy of a long term contract.

also, Michael Johnson should only be signed for one year. He wants to stay in Cincinnati & I think he would take a one year deal to prove himself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,244
Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I would tag Andre just because i'm on the fence about signing him long term. He showed up's and downs. I think he needs one more year to prove himself worthy of a long term contract.

also, Michael Johnson should only be signed for one year. He wants to stay in Cincinnati & I think he would take a one year deal to prove himself.
Sorry but I find this ridiculous especially in the MJ case. MJ has shown continued improvement and a great work ethic. Great way to get behind the young players.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,612
Rep Points: 16712
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
The Andre situation is an interesting one. Having to find a replacement would be taking a step backwards and if your going to sign a FA T then he is one of the best.
Really we have the money, it is just does the FO want to give it to him. To bad
we didn't pick up that fifth year option.

I imagine they will try and write incentives into the contract like his last one and that will be a big hang up. He knows he can get paid on.

I would rather sign MJ, and tag Andre the tag would cost 9.2 Mil.

If they don't sign him at all, that right away becomes the biggest need IMO, It would be nice if Collins could step in/up.

Remember 80% of the cap has to be spent so some money is going somewhere.
I thought t was 89% of the cap. It is all confusing so sorry if I am wrong. My point is if I ma correct, 89% is a huge difference over 80%. It would be additional almost 11 million they need to spend.

But either way, the Bengals have a lot of money to be spent in 2013 that will be mandated.
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.