Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182
Default Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Andre gave us two crappy years, one average year and one great year. Will he revert back to 2008-2009 for once he gets a contract? I suppose that is why we could sign MJ and tag Andre so Andre is once again in a contract year?

DJ Fluker is seeking to make more sense at #21 pick.

Anyone see it working out where we can get MJ and Andre signed for multiple yrs. and still get 2012 production out of Andre?

or should we cut our losses...sign MJ big...put money away for Geno and AJ and draft OL early this year?

Please offer ideas because I can't sleep due to this mental quagmire.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 94
Default Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

That's a wonderful question honestly. I'm afraid that if we give Andre a big contract that he'll revert to his old ways too. I too would also rather give MJ a longer contract and then franchise tag Andre. However, I don't see the harm in drafting an offensive tackle high if the pick is there, I certainly wouldn't reach for one.
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1010

Andre Smith is more trustable than anyone else the Bengals are gonna find imo. He's had injury issues in the past, and Collins is no joke...but Andre has proven he can play at an extremely high level. It seems best to keep him until he proves he can't, or there is a definite replacement who can do better imo.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgrus View Post
Andre Smith is more trustable than anyone else the Bengals are gonna find imo. He's had injury issues in the past, and Collins is no joke...but Andre has proven he can play at an extremely high level. It seems best to keep him until he proves he can't, or there is a definite replacement who can do better imo.

+1
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

The Andre situation is an interesting one. Having to find a replacement would be taking a step backwards and if your going to sign a FA T then he is one of the best.
Really we have the money, it is just does the FO want to give it to him. To bad
we didn't pick up that fifth year option.

I imagine they will try and write incentives into the contract like his last one and that will be a big hang up. He knows he can get paid on.

I would rather sign MJ, and tag Andre the tag would cost 9.2 Mil.

If they don't sign him at all, that right away becomes the biggest need IMO, It would be nice if Collins could step in/up.

Remember 80% of the cap has to be spent so some money is going somewhere.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
Andre gave us two crappy years, one average year and one great year. Will he revert back to 2008-2009 for once he gets a contract? I suppose that is why we could sign MJ and tag Andre so Andre is once again in a contract year?

Anyone see it working out where we can get MJ and Andre signed for multiple yrs. and still get 2012 production out of Andre?

or should we cut our losses...sign MJ big...put money away for Geno and AJ and draft OL early this year?

So let me see if I follow your logic....We invest a high pick, a ton of dough and energy in Andre Smith and get no production out of him for two years. Over the past two seasons, Andre develops into arguably the best RT in football. So you think the Bengals should make all the investment, develop this young man than let someone else reap the rewards and sit on what, 54 mil?

There are risks with all players. Resigning one of your best young players that you've developed should be a no brainer.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3390

Can't let him walk. At worst we tag him. He's only 26, and, i guess only the Bengals know about his maturity. But we know his capabilities....

Here's a nice tidbit under his bio...
Helped RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis rank first in NFL in third-and-one rushing conversions, edging Houstonís Arian Foster by one (14-13), and Green-Ellis had only 15 attempts to Fosterís 19
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
So let me see if I follow your logic....We invest a high pick, a ton of dough and energy in Andre Smith and get no production out of him for two years. Over the past two seasons, Andre develops into arguably the best RT in football. So you think the Bengals should make all the investment, develop this young man than let someone else reap the rewards and sit on what, 54 mil?

There are risks with all players. Resigning one of your best young players that you've developed should be a no brainer.
I don't have logic - hence the questions marks and the tone. Maybe you missed that? (that was a question mark again.)
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgrus View Post
I am not sure how it has been determined that he is 'more trustable than anyone...' I get that he is one of the best at his position...but are you seriously that confident that he won't revert? If so, based on what evidence...because there is evidence to the contrary.

Don't get me wrong. I love the kid. I am just concerned he will go back to '08 form.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20610

Quote:
I am not sure how it has been determined that he is 'more trustable than anyone...' I get that he is one of the best at his position...but are you seriously that confident that he won't revert? If so, based on what evidence...because there is evidence to the contrary.

Don't get me wrong. I love the kid. I am just concerned he will go back to '08 form.
I'd say it's a good question and a valid concern. Maybe the people who know him would say he's very mature ow but we don't know that on the outside looking in.

Also, do RT's really command mega-deals?

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24306
bengals Re: Andre Smith, can he be trusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd say it's a good question and a valid concern. Maybe the people who know him would say he's very mature ow but we don't know that on the outside looking in.

Also, do RT's really command mega-deals?
Willie Anderson.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

When you say revert then I would have to ask you to explain. His first season was injury filled. Since then he has gotten himself into the best shape he has ever been in and has come to camp ready to play. He appears to be past the foot injury that was plaguing him so I am not sure what you are getting at with the term revert.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Willie Anderson.
Good point. That's true, but he was a cornerstone of the team. Would he have gotten that kind of deal from someone else and is Andre a cornerstone of this team?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18185

Quote:

He gave us one average year, one horrid, one great, and one elite.

Not 2 crappy and one good.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1785

The bengals need to sign Andre, but still draft some depth for the OL.
Not 7th rd more like the 3rd.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Good point. That's true, but he was a cornerstone of the team. Would he have gotten that kind of deal from someone else and is Andre a cornerstone of this team?
To early to tell.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709

Quote:
To early to tell.
I honestly hate having to think or worry about if one of our key lineman is going to either blow up by overeating and being lazy or both when they are super good ones out there like zeitler or whit.IF this stupid dude who carrys a gun to the airport and says i forgot it was in my bag can't stay in shape and get BETTER this year, I would feel much better if our coaching staff drafts his future replacement.We can always use the draft choice eventually and I would not want to go into the season with a question mark about my starting lineman.I believe Andre is a good lineman, I just question his mental state.Maybe he just can't help himself to overeat and maybe he is just naturally lazy and has to push himself to stay in shape.There is people like that all over the league.I hope they go after CHANCE WARMARK,TRAVIS FREDRICK,BARETT JONES,D.J.FLUKER,OR RICKY WAGNER.ALL WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE. And I do believe we will draft someone for the line.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 54923

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
I honestly hate having to think or worry about if one of our key lineman is going to either blow up by overeating and being lazy or both when they are super good ones out there like zeitler or whit.IF this stupid dude who carrys a gun to the airport and says i forgot it was in my bag can't stay in shape and get BETTER this year, I would feel much better if our coaching staff drafts his future replacement.We can always use the draft choice eventually and I would not want to go into the season with a question mark about my starting lineman.I believe Andre is a good lineman, I just question his mental state.Maybe he just can't help himself to overeat and maybe he is just naturally lazy and has to push himself to stay in shape.There is people like that all over the league.I hope they go after CHANCE WARMARK,TRAVIS FREDRICK,BARETT JONES,D.J.FLUKER,OR RICKY WAGNER.ALL WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE. And I do believe we will draft someone for the line.
Hypothetically speaking, if Wharton comes back healthy and wins back his LG spot, look at our backups on the line: Robinson/Cook,Roland, Boling, and Collins. Is a draft pick like a muli-talented Barrett Jones-type player an upgrade over any of these? IF so, drafting him seems like a no-brainer to me, whether we re-sign Smith or not. A high quality OLine draft pick wouldn't go to waste IMHO.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10370

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
Hypothetically speaking, if Wharton comes back healthy and wins back his LG spot, look at our backups on the line: Robinson/Cook,Roland, Boling, and Collins. Is a draft pick like a muli-talented Barrett Jones-type player an upgrade over any of these? IF so, drafting him seems like a no-brainer to me, whether we re-sign Smith or not. A high quality OLine draft pick wouldn't go to waste IMHO.
Even more so... hypothetically if Wharton is still damaged goods and Boling plays like he did down the stretch. That high quality pick would not go to waste.

That's why picking a player like Frederick would not be bad IMO.

At best he may be able to step in at Center. At worst he could actually start at Guard or be a solid back up to either Boling or Robinson/Cook if one should go down.

Let's also get Roland out of there. If all he's going to be is an extra blocking TE. We might as well get an actual blocking TE and send him packing.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
To early to tell.
Also, is it a slam dunk that the Bengals want to keep him?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Good grief people. Stop it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
Even more so... hypothetically if Wharton is still damaged goods and Boling plays like he did down the stretch. That high quality pick would not go to waste.

That's why picking a player like Frederick would not be bad IMO.

At best he may be able to step in at Center. At worst he could actually start at Guard or be a solid back up to either Boling or Robinson/Cook if one should go down.

Let's also get Roland out of there. If all he's going to be is an extra blocking TE. We might as well get an actual blocking TE and send him packing.
Talk is that Frederick will be at the 320 range for the combine. If he is and shows he has full strength at that weight then we could take him at 21 and I would be fine with it. Kid could be a dominant center.

Boling will be fine IMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

I would tag Andre just because i'm on the fence about signing him long term. He showed up's and downs. I think he needs one more year to prove himself worthy of a long term contract.

also, Michael Johnson should only be signed for one year. He wants to stay in Cincinnati & I think he would take a one year deal to prove himself.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I would tag Andre just because i'm on the fence about signing him long term. He showed up's and downs. I think he needs one more year to prove himself worthy of a long term contract.

also, Michael Johnson should only be signed for one year. He wants to stay in Cincinnati & I think he would take a one year deal to prove himself.
Sorry but I find this ridiculous especially in the MJ case. MJ has shown continued improvement and a great work ethic. Great way to get behind the young players.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16712

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
The Andre situation is an interesting one. Having to find a replacement would be taking a step backwards and if your going to sign a FA T then he is one of the best.
Really we have the money, it is just does the FO want to give it to him. To bad
we didn't pick up that fifth year option.

I imagine they will try and write incentives into the contract like his last one and that will be a big hang up. He knows he can get paid on.

I would rather sign MJ, and tag Andre the tag would cost 9.2 Mil.

If they don't sign him at all, that right away becomes the biggest need IMO, It would be nice if Collins could step in/up.

Remember 80% of the cap has to be spent so some money is going somewhere.
I thought t was 89% of the cap. It is all confusing so sorry if I am wrong. My point is if I ma correct, 89% is a huge difference over 80%. It would be additional almost 11 million they need to spend.

But either way, the Bengals have a lot of money to be spent in 2013 that will be mandated.