Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5778
bengals Re: Hall To Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Hall is far and away our best corner right now, so there's no way in hell I'd move him to safety. Would be a very silly move.

edit: I suggested Kirkpatrick at safety, and got laughed at for it, but it's not as crazy as you think. Malcolm Jenkins of the Saints played corner his first year, then moved to safety his second, and hasn't looked back. Always thought he'd make a good safety. Hard hitting, good instincts, quick to react.
It is as crazy as I think. When Kirkpatrick was drafted, he was 186lbs.. he's listed as 190 now. Either way, injuries aside 190lbs for a safety is just too light for a 6'2" safety. For being 6'2", he needs to put on at least 20lbs in order to be able to become a safety. RBs would just plow straight over the lanky kid on the regular.

Leon Hall isn't going to be moved to safety. The Bengals would have zero good starting CBs then. Adam Jones is good, but only when he's not forced to be a starter. He's a great 3rd CB/returner. Otherwise it seems that he gets a little broken when he's forced to play more. So unless they think a 36 year old Terrence Newman and Mr Glass sounds like a tempting starting cornerback tandem, I doubt it.

Even coming off the serious injury, Hall played at a high level this year.

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35510
Default Re: Hall To Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Leon Hall is currently on a 5 year 42 million dollar contract.

For that reason alone I would say no. He'd be the highest paid safety in the league.

On top of that, the CB position would be painfully weak without Leon there.

You'd have Dre (who's proven nothing), Newman (35 years old), Allen (total bust), and Ghee? Ouch.
Good point. Of course Hobson's speculation springs from him reasoning that it's not out of the question that the Bengals would draft the more premium position of corner over safety at 21. So in that hypothetical we would have another talented corner other than those mentioned who would presumably be starting but as you mentioned, even Dre has proven nothing so far, let alone this hypothetical first rounder yet to be named.

I have to agree with the consensus here, pre draft smoke.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3827

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I read the article, I saw no mention of Hall to Safety.

I call B.S., sounds like you're promoting the move to me.
It's in there. But it sounds like just Hobson speculating instead of something a coach said.

Quote:
Another reason the Bengals may want to draft a corner instead of a safety with that first pick: While Vaccaro sounds like a solid player, he had just five interceptions in 51 career games and has a rep for missing tackles at the point of attack. So if he's not Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, the Bengals could very well have a Pro Bowl safety sitting there in Hall if they ever decide to move him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE D-MAN View Post
The only thing a Bengals fan and a Steelers fan can enjoy at the same time is a Steeler fan's sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I ****ed a girl from Pittsburgh once. She was a Steelers fan. She was cockeyed and smelled like Rolling Rock and failure.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Another reason the Bengals may want to draft a corner instead of a safety with that first pick: While Vaccaro sounds like a solid player, he had just five interceptions in 51 career games and has a rep for missing tackles at the point of attack. So if he's not Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, the Bengals could very well have a Pro Bowl safety sitting there in Hall if they ever decide to move him.

That's more like Hobson speculation. Not exactly a quote from the coaches, as the other guy had suggested...
its not a direct quote from the coaches, but it sounded to me like its been brought up to hobson at some point(im speculating). elsewise why would he even mention moving a near pro bowl corner to safety. its not like it doesnt fit the lewis bengals profile to take a late first round corner and as the draft prospects line up it fits bpa for us. de also lines up well at the point in the draft with bpa for us
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
It is as crazy as I think. When Kirkpatrick was drafted, he was 186lbs.. he's listed as 190 now. Either way, injuries aside 190lbs for a safety is just too light for a 6'2" safety. For being 6'2", he needs to put on at least 20lbs in order to be able to become a safety. RBs would just plow straight over the lanky kid on the regular.

Leon Hall isn't going to be moved to safety. The Bengals would have zero good starting CBs then. Adam Jones is good, but only when he's not forced to be a starter. He's a great 3rd CB/returner. Otherwise it seems that he gets a little broken when he's forced to play more. So unless they think a 36 year old Terrence Newman and Mr Glass sounds like a tempting starting cornerback tandem, I doubt it.

Hall is the same sort of build as Dre, just shorter. Either one of them are big enough to play FS but not SS. Plus, adding 20 pounds of muscle is not hard for these guys with the nutritionists and strength coaches they have access to.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34512

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I think either Dre or Leon could play FS hypothetically, but not SS. But I agree, it's silly, I just can't see it.
I suppose it's possible. There is ONE starting FS in the NFL with a build similar to Dre's.

Here's a picture of him in college:

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I suppose it's possible. There is ONE starting FS in the NFL with a build similar to Dre's.

Here's a picture of him in college:

LMAO

Ijs tho. There's a difference between free and strong, lankier dudes can handle FS as long as they can cover and are a good tackler, which we know Leon is and Dre appeared to be the same sort in college.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post

Do people around here just go to ESPN.com, look at their weights and determine their future? People CAN gain weight, people CAN change positions. I'm so sick of everyone around here determining EVERYTHING by size. Russell Wilson was too small, Alfred Morris was too slow..... People look way too far into measurables.

Dashon Goldson is 6'2, and plays at 200lbs. Is it crazy to think that Dre can't, under any circumstance, add a measly 10 pounds? Anyways, if Dre sticks at corner, that's fine, but it's NOT crazy to think he can play safety.

edit: Thomas DeCoud, Falcons. 6'2, 192lbs - Free Safety. (76 tackles, 1 sack, 6 interceptions in 2012)

Last edited by ibengals; 02-16-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8837

how about we move mike nugent to safety?
4th Antone Exum CB
5th Morgan Breslin LB
6th Andrew Jackson LB
6th Jonathan Dowling S
7th Isaiah Crowell RB
7th Zach Moore DE
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Charles Leno G
UDFA Joe Don Duncan TE
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Do people around here just go to ESPN.com, look at their weights and determine their future? People CAN gain weight, people CAN change positions. I'm so sick of everyone around here determining EVERYTHING by size. Russell Wilson was too small, Alfred Morris was too slow..... People look way too far into measurables.

Dashon Goldson is 6'2, and plays at 200lbs. Is it crazy to think that Dre can't, under any circumstance, add a measly 10 pounds? Anyways, if Dre sticks at corner, that's fine, but it's NOT crazy to think he can play safety.

edit: Thomas DeCoud, Falcons. 6'2, 192lbs - Free Safety. (76 tackles, 1 sack, 6 interceptions in 2012)
Good find. Pretty good numbers too on one of the best scoring defenses in the league.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34512

Quote:
Good find. Pretty good numbers too on one of the best scoring defenses in the league.
I found him 1st. he's the dude in the picture.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24143

Quote:
Good point. Of course Hobson's speculation springs from him reasoning that it's not out of the question that the Bengals would draft the more premium position of corner over safety at 21. So in that hypothetical we would have another talented corner other than those mentioned who would presumably be starting but as you mentioned, even Dre has proven nothing so far, let alone this hypothetical first rounder yet to be named.

I have to agree with the consensus here, pre draft smoke.
No doubt. Hobs talks out of his *** this time of year.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
hahaha so does every single one of us
Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571

You don't pay a guy $10 million a year to be a safety.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4144

I dont see why Leon cant move to safety like a Charles Woodson or Ronde Barber. He basically plays a modified Safety/Corner role now.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

I don't see why people think we are loaded at CB.

Newman is aging. Pacman is a free agent and injury prone. Ghee has never really played. We don't know if Kirkpatrick will produce. Allen was a bust and only has 1 more year on his contract.

That's a lot of question marks!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I found him 1st. he's the dude in the picture.
Ah, gotcha. Since it said Terez Owens, I thought it was some back up I never heard of.....edit: I just realized you mentioned that he was a starter but it was the name I didn't recognize that I noticed the most.

Quote:
Yes he does, it's his job tho, so what can ya do rt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymad View Post
hahaha so does every single one of us
Well, Hobs has the agenda of being on MBs payroll, therefore journalistic integrity is out the door with him as a matter of course. The members here have no such agenda so actually, our speculation at least has the potential to be objective and sometimes depending on the poster, rather accurate.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 02-17-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1540

Yeah, lets take our only legit CB and make him switch positions.

For the 5th time, no. Let's not start this thread AGAIN in 2 months.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyLeisure View Post
Yeah, lets take our only legit CB and make him switch positions.

For the 5th time, no. Let's not start this thread AGAIN in 2 months.
Dude, it seemed new to me, sorry I guess.

You know really, if one were inclined, they could cop that "omg, not this again" attitude with about 80 percent of the threads in dis joint.

You know what I do if a certain topic is tired or lame to me? I don't bother reading, let alone posting on it, but maybe that's just me.

Honestly, it seemed like a pretty novel concept and I thought there was some decent discussion about it.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18784

Why not try Lamur at safety? He played SS at KSU until his senior year. Not saying we should bank on Lamur at SS, but try him out there at least.

We could draft his former team mate, Arthur Brown to take over SAM. Move Burfict to Mike. We might still have Howard at Will, but why risk it? Take K. Greene, too.

Also, let's not forget we still have Iloka and Sands.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2489
bengals Re: Hall To Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Why not try Lamur at safety? He played SS at KSU until his senior year. Not saying we should bank on Lamur at SS, but try him out there at least.

We could draft his former team mate, Arthur Brown to take over SAM. Move Burfict to Mike. We might still have Howard at Will, but why risk it? Take K. Greene, too.

Also, let's not forget we still have Iloka and Sands.
Would move Hall but meh to all that. Get rid of iloka and sands. Backups at best.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4196

There's a couple moves I'd make... Hall would be a very good safety ...actually a better safety than CB and Taylor Mays should be tested at OLB position. Mays is a big fast guy that likes to hit and sitting back at safety making hits he does will continue getting flagged whether it's a clean hit or not because the hit will always look worse than it actually is due to his size.
3. OLB Ronnell Lewis 6'2" 253 Oklahoma
4. RB Ronnie Hillman 5'9" 200 San Diego St
5.. TE Rhett Ellison 6'5" 251 USC
5. FS Aaron Henry 6'0" 208 Wisconsin
5. WR Jarius Wright 5'10" 182 Arkansas
6. OG Joe Looney 6'3" 309 Wake Forest
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 40067

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
You don't pay a guy $10 million a year to be a safety.

Agreed, especially when he is still in what I would consider to be his prime years at CB. It seems to me that most of the higher profile CBs that convert to S, do it on the tail end of their careers.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
I heard this notion has been submitted by Hobson apparently and I've noticed some discussion about it but didn't find a thread for it when I searched.

I know he's roughly the same size as Crocker but my first thought is that he's not stocky enough for SS. Crocker while only listed two pounds heavier certainly appears to be more naturally stout where as Hall is more of a lanky build. I think Hall is a willing and capable tackler but I don't see him at all as a SS you wanna stack the box with. Nelson seems to fit that position better from a strictly physical dimensions perspective. So I have to assume this move would include moving Nelson to SS in order for Hall to play FS cuz we know Nelson aint coming off the field.

If Nelson and Hall are our safeties, that sounds great, but then I have to assume we plan on starting Kirkpatrick who is essentially still going to be a rookie in terms of experience and a 1st rounder drafted this April. If we do draft a corner in the first that will pretty much tell me Hobson wasn't bluffing and Hall moving to safety is at least being strongly considered.

Do we think this will actually happen and if so, do we agree with such a move? What worries you more, screwing with Nelson's apparently rediscovered mojo by switching him to SS or starting what would basically be a rookie tandem at corner?

I love the sound of Hall at FS tbh, having a good corner in his prime on the field as your 3rd corner/center fielder has the potential to be very beneficial in handling the "chuck it all over the field" offenses we see these days.

But then again, isn't it a huge gamble? It seems to me that in this scenario we'd be banking on Hall transitioning to safety, probably on Nelson transitioning to SS from FS, and then betting that two corners with zero NFL starts heading into 2013 won't get us killed.

Idk, sounds like a bit much to me. Wouldn't it be easier/safer/more sound to just draft Elam or sign whatshisface the Bills released to shore up SS? You tell me.....The more I think about, if Hobson has submitted such a move is being considered, I'd probably put my money on it being a smoke screen Lewis is using to disguise his intentions of drafting a SS he has his eye on at 21. There's just too many variables in play that could back fire if they did go the "Hall to safety" route.
Dude, what are you talking about? Nobody has mentioned moving Hall to safety now. They were talking about much later in his career.

Last edited by Bull Durham; 02-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Newman isn't some 23 year old CB. He's a free agent that may or may not be back. If he's back...who knows how he will play because he's about 33.

Wed literally need to sign another starting CB and maybe 2 if we did this.

Plus we have no idea if Kirkpatrick or Ghee can play.

Then there is Jason Allen who couldn't get on the field and has been a career 3rd CB and is considered a draft bust.

And the often injured Pacman who is a free agent and 1 incident away from a lifetime ban.