Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Hall To Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post

Plus we have no idea if Kirkpatrick or Ghee can play.
I just love it when fans make comments like this - as if the fans have to know whether or not a guy can play before the coaching staff can make a decision.

Doesn't matter what WE know. The coaches see these guys all the time. They know if someone can play. And Marvin Lewis has already said they know that Dre is going to be a very fine player.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I just love it when fans make comments like this - as if the fans have to know whether or not a guy can play before the coaching staff can make a decision.

Doesn't matter what WE know. The coaches see these guys all the time. They know if someone can play. And Marvin Lewis has already said they know that Dre is going to be a very fine player.
Oh it matters a lot in the context of moving your best CB to Safety. You need replacements at CB.

I doubt if the coaches know how Kirkpatrick and Ghee would do as starters much like they thought Binns was a viable #2 then waived him. Especially after the rule changes that limit practice in pads.

The coaches also say positive things about Maualuga.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3231
bengals Re: Hall To Safety?

Quote:
Oh it matters a lot in the context of moving your best CB to Safety. You need replacements at CB.

I doubt if the coaches know how Kirkpatrick and Ghee would do as starters much like they thought Binns was a viable #2 then waived him. Especially after the rule changes that limit practice in pads.

I could have and did say that Binns and Tate to a lesser extent were not #2 options at all. Barely fringe team players and at this point it seems like they arent even training camp fodder.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

No, it doesn't matter if the fans know if someone can play. All that matters is what the coaches know.

First, like I said, neither the coaches or anyone else is talking about moving Hall to safety now. People brought up the possibility much later in his career, so Kirkpatrick and Ghee and how good they are is irrelevant.

Second, I never said I am in favor of the move. I think it's stupid to waste a good CB, which has such a high value, by moving him to safety until he isn't very good anymore.

Third, I wasn't commenting on the value of the move. I was pointing out the stupidity of fans who think the coaching staff shouldn't make a move until we, the fans, think we know if a guy can play or not. As if they don't know about a player unless we know. What coaches say publicly about a player if irrelevant.

Last edited by Bull Durham; 02-17-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 122
bengals Re: Hall To Safety?

This is an easy one IMO. Don't create musical chairs in the secondary. Hall is the best corner. Leave him there. Put Kirkpatrick opposite him at the other corner where he was drafted #1 to play. Leave Nelson at FS where he is very good and either draft a SS or get one in FA. This is a much more sensible approach.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1509

move leon to safety in 2-3 years. It'll extend his career a good 4-5 years.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPE50 View Post
This is an easy one IMO. Don't create musical chairs in the secondary. Hall is the best corner. Leave him there. Put Kirkpatrick opposite him at the other corner where he was drafted #1 to play. Leave Nelson at FS where he is very good and either draft a SS or get one in FA. This is a much more sensible approach.
This is just how it is I give two tumbs up to you about how you think they should fix our D. What do you think the bengals should do to fix the O problems?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPE50 View Post
In a perfect would where nothing goes wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
In a perfect would where nothing goes wrong.
Agreed. Kirkpatrick hasn't been durable. He has zero starting experience. I don't see him starting the year higher than a #3 CB.

I'd retain Pacman and Newman. Newman is a short-term answer.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

hall going to safety would be a dumb move...hall came on strong and played lightsout towards the end. Dont move him. Hes a top 7 corner in the league and now there is posts about moving him to safety. idiots
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
hall going to safety would be a dumb move...hall came on strong and played lightsout towards the end. Dont move him. Hes a top 7 corner in the league and now there is posts about moving him to safety. idiots
I think people are talking about way down the road when he's in his mid 30s. Of course it's stupid to discuss now.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I think people are talking about way down the road when he's in his mid 30s. Of course it's stupid to discuss now.
i dont think its dumb to discuss, especially if we draft a corner or sign one and retain newman and jones. then we have a great secondary instead of a decent one. you do realize if hall is at safety then in the nick and dime packages he'll line up alot in the slot corner spot. which will benefit him and the team alot more than him trying to cover outside speed guys which he tends to get burnt by
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2324

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymad View Post
i dont think its dumb to discuss, especially if we draft a corner or sign one and retain newman and jones. then we have a great secondary instead of a decent one. you do realize if hall is at safety then in the nick and dime packages he'll line up alot in the slot corner spot. which will benefit him and the team alot more than him trying to cover outside speed guys which he tends to get burnt by
1) Why would we draft another corner?

2) I can count how many times Hall has been burnt on one hand.

Hall to S is dumb. Maybe when he's older and slower, but now? No. Just no
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsIronMan View Post
1) Why would we draft another corner?

2) I can count how many times Hall has been burnt on one hand.

Hall to S is dumb. Maybe when he's older and slower, but now? No. Just no
1) ive seen it mocked to us by several sites, it also lines up for us as bpa in the first round, and it fits marvins profile of taking corners late in the first.
2) you admit it has happened though
3) he's already older and slower, that surgery sapped a half step from his speed, and with his football iq and leadership abilities im confident he'll make a great safety
Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
1) ive seen it mocked to us by several sites, it also lines up for us as bpa in the first round, and it fits marvins profile of taking corners late in the first.
3) he's already older and slower, that surgery sapped a half step from his speed, and with his football iq and leadership abilities im confident he'll make a great safety
1) Won't happen
2) Who hasn't
3) Yeah that surgery really hurt him considering he came off one of his better years.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

We won't go CB in the 1st Round in back to back years ala the Joseph/Hall scenario potentially playing out again.

We won't move a guy to safety making $10 million a year.

We won't sign another starting CB as they make $7+ million a year.

We'll either play Crocker there or draft or sign a safety.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
1) Won't happen
2) Who hasn't
3) Yeah that surgery really hurt him considering he came off one of his better years.
i didnt say it hurt him, he's one of the most technically sound players in the league, i said it sapped a half step from his speed which is truth. and its not like he cant be capably replaced at corner by dre, newman and jones and a xavier rhodes, jon banks or desmond trufant. all im doin is opening dialogue about the possibility. that is a great secondary to go with a great d line
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17723

Quote:
A handful of times in 6 years is fine. Revis gets burned more.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
i didnt say it hurt him, he's one of the most technically sound players in the league, i said it sapped a half step from his speed which is truth. and its not like he cant be capably replaced at corner by dre, newman and jones and a xavier rhodes, jon banks or desmond trufant. all im doin is opening dialogue about the possibility. that is a great secondary to go with a great d line
Hall can be replaced by Dre? Really?! Dre can't even stay healthy man stop with the nonsense.

Hall is heads and shoulders better than any other corner on our roster hands down. Moving him to S at this point in his career is flat out dumb
Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I doubt that Kirkpatrick is a top 10 CB so there is dropoff.

Newman is getting older. Short-term solution at best and a free agent.

I like Jones but he misses a lot of games to injury and is 1 incident away from a lifetime ban.

Plus you need atleast 3 quality CBs....we'd be making our #2 the #1.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6465

You move a CB to safety AFTER he starts to decline in coverage skills, not while he is his prime. I don't even see why this topic would even come up. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6465

Quote:
1. Mock drafts are worth the paper that they are written on - and most aren't even written on paper anymore.
2. Every corner gets burned.
3. He came back WAY too early and still performed at a high level.

FYI - Marvin doesn't have a profile of taking corners late in the first. He has a profile of taking corners when corner is one of the biggest needs on the team. That isn't true this year.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
You move a CB to safety AFTER he starts to decline in coverage skills, not while he is his prime. I don't even see why this topic would even come up. It makes no sense whatsoever.
This. Exactly.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Charles Woodson to safety.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hall can be replaced by Dre? Really?! Dre can't even stay healthy man stop with the nonsense.

Hall is heads and shoulders better than any other corner on our roster hands down. Moving him to S at this point in his career is flat out dumb
Wht makes you think he can't stay healthy?

What a stupid comment.