Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20482
Default Re: If you could have one player.......

Probably Rodgers with a close 2nd of AP or Calvin.

And there is no defensive player in the league I would even consider for at least the top 5 players I would add.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Nick Mangold.

Improves the pocket, improves the running game, and by extending drives via improving the run and pass, improves the defense.

Nice choice! Not many are willing to admit that offensive success hinges on blocking. Have a great OL, you have a great offense, no matter who you plug in at the skill positions.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Nice choice! Not many are willing to admit that offensive success hinges on blocking. Have a great OL, you have a great offense, no matter who you plug in at the skill positions.
Tell that to the Jets.

On paper, their O-line looks pretty solid but man is their offense offensive.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

To explain my reasoning behind Miller, we desperately need a good 4-3 OLB, and one that could provide 15+ sacks on a yearly basis would be huge. Miller would bring a great pass rush to a legendary one. Team will be running the ball every play to save their quarterbacks!

AP is a good choice as well. Luck too.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

I would take Patrick Willis in a heartbeat.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1526

Aaron Rodgers
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
No limitations.
For me it would be a new owner. Since the question is "player", I'd take John Elway as a new owner.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1785

Easy : Brady to throw and Calvin Johnson to catch.
Automatic Super Bowl

Or maybe just Calvin Johnson

Last edited by Old White Guy; 02-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
Agreed. Dalton's rookie numbers were better than Luck's overall.
Luck threw for more yards.

but, Dalton had 4% better completion
20-13 TD/Int for Dalton to Luck's 23-18
80.4 Rat for Dalton and 76.5 Luck
the biggest for me is 10 fumbles for Luck and 5 lost to Dalton's 4 and 2 lost

Dalton didn't have the luxury of an offseason program.
Both took over teams with terrible records the season before. (Cin 4-12, Ind 2-14)

Luck is a good player, but I don't see him being the savior everyone thinks him to be right now.
Indy won a lot of games they shouldn't have this past season.
Luck threw the ball 111 more times than Dalton his rookie year, which explains the interception increase. 1int for every 35 attempts for Luck, 1int for every 40 attempts for 2011 Dalton. If Dalton attempted the same number of passes, he throws 16ints his rookie year.

Dalton didn't have an off-season program, you're right, but neither did any other team that year. Defenses as a whole suffered, which made it easier on offenses. That's why we saw, what, 4? QBs surpass 5k yards in 2011. Besides, that's not to say Luck didn't suffer extenuating circumstances either. Chuck Pagano, his HC, was diagnosed with Leukemia early in the season, which I'm sure took it's toll on the whole team mentally; making performance suffer.

Oh, and let's not forget Dalton has had the great luxury of a top 10 defense since he's been in the NFL; a very underrated part of a QBs overall performance. The Colt's defense ranked 21st in points allowed last year.

At this point, to me, it looks like Luck has the greater potential.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31647

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Luck threw the ball 111 more times than Dalton his rookie year, which explains the interception increase. 1int for every 35 attempts for Luck, 1int for every 40 attempts for 2011 Dalton. If Dalton attempted the same number of passes, he throws 16ints his rookie year.
So Dalton still wins there. That's not even counting all the fumbles Luck had.

Quote:
Dalton didn't have an off-season program, you're right, but neither did any other team that year. Defenses as a whole suffered, which made it easier on offenses. That's why we saw, what, 4? QBs surpass 5k yards in 2011. Besides, that's not to say Luck didn't suffer extenuating circumstances either. Chuck Pagano, his HC, was diagnosed with Leukemia early in the season, which I'm sure took it's toll on the whole team mentally; making performance suffer.
Quite the contrary. Pagano's health issues served as an inspiration for that entire team. I'd say they played better because of it. Also, Arians did such a great job that he landed a HC job this year.

Quote:
Oh, and let's not forget Dalton has had the great luxury of a top 10 defense since he's been in the NFL; a very underrated part of a QBs overall performance. The Colt's defense ranked 21st in points allowed last year.
The Colt's defense gave up an average of 18.3 points in their 11 wins.

The defense that gets ripped so much is actually the reason they won so many games.

Quote:
At this point, to me, it looks like Luck has the greater potential.
We'll see. He has a bigger arm, that's about it IMO.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
We'll see. He has a bigger arm, that's about it IMO.
I know he's been compared to Manning because he was the first overall pick to the Colts, but I think he's going to be the best QB in the league eventually. He had nothing in his receivers except for Reggie Wayne (who was double covered all year) He made Ty Hilton look like a superstar.

Get Luck a toy like AJ Green, and you're looking at the next Brady/Moss season. His adjustments at the line are something rookies aren't supposed to be able to do. Not a runner like RGIII, but he also doesn't carry the injury risk.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough with Dalton is how many of his interceptions hit our wr hands. That's why Sanu was an upgrade. He caught the ball reliably.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
I know he's been compared to Manning because he was the first overall pick to the Colts, but I think he's going to be the best QB in the league eventually. He had nothing in his receivers except for Reggie Wayne (who was double covered all year) He made Ty Hilton look like a superstar.

Get Luck a toy like AJ Green, and you're looking at the next Brady/Moss season. His adjustments at the line are something rookies aren't supposed to be able to do. Not a runner like RGIII, but he also doesn't carry the injury risk.
I do think that Luck has note potential...but Akili Smith had more physical potential than a guy like Drew Brees. Other factors matter.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough with Dalton is how many of his interceptions hit our wr hands. That's why Sanu was an upgrade. He caught the ball reliably.
Yeah, Marvin Jones in particular had a few passes go off his hands and nearly intercepted. One of them got intercepted for sure. Dalton also lets the ball get away from him sometimes. He missed Hawkins a dozen times all season by the length of his fingers, which is why I think Sanu is a better fit at slot for us.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1835

Ok, I am a dumb dumb. Millz you got me, I was trying to kill the bug in your avatar.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

You talk about Reggie Wayne like he's chopped liver. He's probably a future HOF'er.

Hilton and Donnie Avery are solid WR's. Luck didn't "make" them anything.

If I had to choose a set of WRs for one season, I'd choose Wayne, Hilton and Avery over Green, Binns and Hawkins all day.

3 good (one great) WR's > 1 phenomenal one.

You also ignored my point about the Colts' defense.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 02-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41608

Quote:

If I had to choose a set of WRs for one season, I'd choose Wayne, Hilton and Avery over Green, Binns and Hawkins all day.
Dude, I'd choose me, you, and Green over Wayne (2012), Hilton, and Avery.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24543

I'd probably go with Earl Thomas or Brady. Brady to Green would be money all day. I'd also like to see what Brady could do with a player like Hawkins.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
You talk about Reggie Wayne like he's chopped liver. He's probably a future HOF'er.

Hilton and Donnie Avery are solid WR's. Luck didn't "make" them anything.

3 good (one great) WR's > 1 phenomenal one.

You also ignored my point about the Colts' defense.
I didn't ignore anything. We're talking about Andrew Luck here, not the Indianapolis defense. Luck had a coach that was fighting cancer all season, a rookie OC, two rookie tight ends, a rookie running back, and a rookie wide receiver. He led 7 fourth quarter comebacks (tied for 1st in the NFL as a rookie, which admittedly, is helped by the defense, but still impressive.

Wayne had one of the better seasons of his career, Avery had his best season as a pro, and Hilton was in talks for OROY. Must have been a lucky year for them I guess. Certainly couldn't have been their quarterback that helped them achieve this. Luck took a 2-14 team to the playoffs, but you still think he's only a strong arm?

Look, you can discount his entire season by saying his defense was good, but I've watched him play enough to see for myself.

Last edited by ibengals; 02-18-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: If you could have one player.......

[quote=ibengals;2810708]I didn't ignore anything. We're talking about Andrew Luck here, not the Indianapolis defense. Luck had a coach that was fighting cancer all season, a rookie OC, two rookie tight ends, a rookie running back, and a rookie wide receiver. He led 7 fourth quarter comebacks (tied for 1st in the NFL as a rookie, which admittedly, is helped by the defense, but still impressive.

Wayne had one of the better seasons of his career, Avery had his best season as a pro, and Hilton was in talks for OROY. Must have been a lucky year for them I guess. Certainly couldn't have been their quarterback that helped them achieve this. Luck took a 2-14 team to the playoffs, but you still think he's only a strong arm?

Look, you can discount his entire season by saying his defense was good, but I've watched him play enough to see for myself.[/QUOTE

]His defense wasn't as good as Daltons.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Dude, I'd choose me, you, and Green over Wayne (2012), Hilton, and Avery.
2011 Wayne had 960 yards with random schlubs like Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky and 40 y.o. Kerry Collins throwing to him. He a great receiver. Period.

Quote:
I didn't ignore anything. We're talking about Andrew Luck here, not the Indianapolis defense. Luck had a coach that was fighting cancer all season, a rookie OC, two rookie tight ends, a rookie running back, and a rookie wide receiver. He led 7 fourth quarter comebacks (tied for 1st in the NFL as a rookie, which admittedly, is helped by the defense, but still impressive.

Look, you can discount his entire season by saying his defense was good, but I've watched him play enough to see for myself.
I watched 4 games with Andrew Luck last year. He was good at hitting wide open receivers, but I don't think I ever saw him throw through a tight window with any accuracy. The Lions game I saw was a complete joke. The Lions gave the game away.

As for the performance of the WR's, that's more related to the sheer amount of times the Colts were chucking it up. People just love to give all the credit to the QB, but this was Wayne's 4th season with 100+ catches. Dude is a baller. Avery put up numbers very similar to what he did in St. Louis with Sam Bradford. Do you think he's elite too? And when was Hilton in discussion for ROY over Morris and Martin? Either way the QB gets all the cred. Ridiculous.

Jerome had a career high 725 yards with Dalton at the helm. Didn't see anyone giving Andy credit for that. Maybe it's because Andy wasn't a much-hyped #1 overall draft pick.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

[quote=THEBURG;2810932]
Quote:

Look, you can discount his entire season by saying his defense was good, but I've watched him play enough to see for myself.[/QUOTE

]His defense wasn't as good as Daltons.
Bruce Arians was a new OC but by no means a Rookie one.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26816
bengals Re: If you could have one player.......

Quote:
in the entire NFL right now, no questions, who would it be? No limitations. Could be Manning, Watt, Rodgers etc......

For me, it would be Von Miller.

For our team, Adrian Peterson would help us the most.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 653

Rodgers for sure.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 AM

Rep Points: 8

Carson Palmer

Nah i'm going with Andrew Luck. He is young and if he had AJ, Gresh, and our defense plus a year or two under his belt he'd be best in the league imo