Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13574
Default Re: Wow, racism alive and well in Flint, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkbengals View Post
The dude made the "request" then pulled up his sleeves and showed his tatoos. To me that is threatening the staff. If I were a hospital employee present at that exchange I would have reported it as so and let the ********* be arrested for making threats.
If the staff considered it a that it should have been dealt with then and there. I'm my experience hospitals don't hesitate to get security involved in most cases so I assume they didn't perceive it as a threat.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
This goes how far? Age/Sex/Place of Birth/School of Study/Skin color/Eye color/physical beauty/ugliness/height/weight?
Yes to all of the above.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 17135

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post

The institution (hospital) did not infringe upon Anyones rights in this case. Like I stated before, had they sent her home, docked her pay or otherwise prevented her from performing her overall duties I would side with her in heartbeat.
I must completely agree with this .....

And don't even like Duke0476. :-)

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18921

Quote:
Really? I knew someone would overreact eventually and I knew when I saw you post here it would be you.

Where did I imply that I wanted segregation? I am for peoples rights regardless of who they are or what the believe a long as it is not harming anyone. The institution (hospital) did not infringe upon Anyones rights in this case. Like I stated before, had they sent her home, docked her pay or otherwise prevented her from performing her overall duties I would side with her in heartbeat.

I think this family is ignorant and racist but it is still their right to believe what they want and to refuse care if they want.

Don't act like you know me and don't ever call me a racist.
I never called you a racist get over it.
I will repeat anyone who wants the hospital to win after placing that disgusting signs is a fill in the blank.

All sorts of names can fall in there. You felt the word racist should go there. I did not even lead the word with an "R". Yet, you felt comfortable to use that word.

For your information the hospital did infringe upon someone's rights and that was the nurse. You see there is something called Labor law and Employment law. Both of them I am very familiar with and the actions by the hospital staff have violated a few "Black Letter Laws". I am too tired and I have work for my job that I have to do otherwise I would present them for you. But let me paraphrase it for you. Any employer telling an employee that they can't perform a job because of their skin color is discrimination. A hospital patient rights do not trump an employee's rights.

Besides the many laws of Labor/Employment that were violated because of the hospital. The one main law that will get this nurse some $$$ is the infamous tortious "Black Letter Law" called Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (IIED). I have provided the elements of this law already. That is what the plaintiff will argue and she will get plenty of punitive damages. She doesn't need to be sent home or docked pay for her to win. You were right and then wrong with your statement "otherwise prevented her from performing her overall duties"

She was indeed prevented from performing her overall duties. You wrote it, yet you did not understand what you wrote.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13076

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
You hope the hospial wins??? You are okay with the hospital having the sign out.

Your attitude is why this country is having so much division.

I now know why Blacks want to have their own station BET and their own Miss Black America and Black this and Latino that and Asian this.

I was hoping in my lifetime we would have a color blind society. It should not matter what color the nurse is.

What is so ironic is that if the guy in the hospital pulled that stunt out in Cuba, he would be arrested.
Castro introduced Race laws in Cuba in the 60's and a lot of whites got upset because they had to deal with the Blacks there as equals.
So what did many of them do? They THEN fled Cuba and settled in Miami.

Instead of us having a melting pot you want segregation. Anyone who wants the hospital to win after they put out that sign is a ......

Maybe your username represents David Duke
I think you may have stepped over a line here, man. The sign, while inappropriate, wasn't any sort of attack on anyone - it was merely the family's wishes. It didn't drop the N-bomb or any sort of racial thing (it didn't even say 'black'; it said African-American), so anyone getting their panties in a bunch at the hospital is someone who is tripping way too hard over being politically correct.

You can hope against hope that people suddenly wake up one day and stop being racist, but it's never going to happen because no matter how enlightened a society may be (or claims to be), there is always going to be a set of ignorant ***-hats who keep stupid things like racism alive. There is no getting around it - there are always going to be stupid people.

The fact that minorities want their own channels and whatever else you said is because as a society, people have different tastes and there is a market for those things, and also because people are ignorant and think we need those things. Everyone acts like segregation died - it hasn't; it's merely reversed. I'm speaking on behalf of me, but anyone who condones Miss Black America or Miss Asian American or whatever is condoning segregation and is just as racist as Mr. Swastika and his (I'm sure) lovely wife and child.

A hospital is just another institution that tries to please it's costumers - they just did it in a stupid way.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBengalfan View Post
I must completely agree with this .....

And don't even like Duke0476. :-)

No an employer can not post
"no African-American xxxx" note's anywhere.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
I think you may have stepped over a line here, man. The sign, while inappropriate, wasn't any sort of attack on anyone - it was merely the family's wishes. It didn't drop the N-bomb or any sort of racial thing (it didn't even say 'black'; it said African-American), so anyone getting their panties in a bunch at the hospital is someone who is tripping way too hard over being politically correct.

The sign need not be an attack. We are talking about a working environment. An employer can't have a sign
"no African-American nurse".
A patron can't enter a restaurant and say I don't want an African-American waiter. If a restaurant did do this and the African-American waiter knew of this incident the restaurant will have new management and possibly new owners soon.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 55329

Quote:
No an employer can not post
"no African-American xxxx" note's anywhere.
And I'm hoping Ms. Battle's attorneys get a judge that supports this whole-heartedly.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
The sign need not be an attack. We are talking about a working environment. An employer can't have a sign
"no African-American nurse".
A patron can't enter a restaurant and say I don't want an African-American waiter. If a restaurant did do this and the African-American waiter knew of this incident the restaurant will have new management and possibly new owners soon.
Again, the hospital did it in a stupid way. It should've been done in private and behind closed doors - but a patient has every right to tell the hospital they don't want something or someone for any reason.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 78656

Quote:
Race/Color Discrimination & Work Situations
The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.
http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/race_color.cfm
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Again, the hospital did it in a stupid way. It should've been done in private and behind closed doors - but a patient has every right to tell the hospital they don't want something or someone for any reason.

No, the patient can not tell a hospital, that they don't want a person of a certain race. I used to see white patients with my own eyes call out racial names to the black nurses when I worked at Bellevue hospital in NYC. The black nurses just ignored them and cared for the patients. I felt for these nurses because they had little recourse. Now this was in the freaking 1980's. Some of the white patients did not want black nurses/doctors then. You think in 2013 these patients would have more rights now???
I need to sell some people the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post

Thank you. I was just to lazy to do any research. Some members here think they can invent the law to how they feel like it.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23292

I'm typically one to downplay the impact of racism in today's American society, even though I logically know it is present. But, even for this "if you ignore it, it will go away" line of thinking individual, this one really crosses the line.

I'm thinking that there will be some civil unrest in the Flint, MI area, in the near future.

CinWillWin, are you safe up there??

http://now.msn.com/tonya-battle-sues...rse/?gt1=50501

Is it really that big of a deal?

There is discrimination like this all over.the USA. So the parents only want white people taking care of their kid, is this truly worse than the Amish? Or the use of midwives? Or anything else that is sub-maximal child birthing/rearing?

Heck, we already have racist colleges, entertainment networks, holidays. I am surprised this is even a story to be honest. Minorities and women get into grad school ahead of me with lesser GPA's. Racism is alive and well in the US and will be for quite some time.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8908

Here's the Michigan Patient Bill of Rights

http://michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-...7223--,00.html

Does this say that a father can't tell a hospital who can care for his child?

EDIT: I added a question mark.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post

#6?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillebengalfan View Post
i must completely agree with this .....

And don't even like duke0476. :-)
racist!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
#6?
That's what I was thinking too, but I could be wrong.

Think about that for a moment though, is being a racist one of your civil rights? Now that's a weird turn of events.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too, but I could be wrong.

Think about that for a moment though, is being a racist one of your civil rights? Now that's a weird turn of events.
Depends on your reason for being "racist". Believe it or not there could be outlying reasons for being racist. Maybe they had a bad experience with an African American doctor, or they may actually believe they are inferior therefore do not want them providing medical care. I'm just throwing this out there, I don't think that was the case here.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

Federal laws supercede state laws.

Ask anyone from Alabama in the mid-60's.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Federal laws supercede state laws.

Ask anyone from Alabama in the mid-60's.
Ok, here's the Fed version

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...hts/index.html
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
No.

This is the Fed version:

http://boards.bengals.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=85

The rights of the patients to choose who they wanted was never in question. When the hospital conceded to a race-based request, they went afoul of Federal law and the Constitution.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
No, the patient can not tell a hospital, that they don't want a person of a certain race. I used to see white patients with my own eyes call out racial names to the black nurses when I worked at Bellevue hospital in NYC. The black nurses just ignored them and cared for the patients. I felt for these nurses because they had little recourse. Now this was in the freaking 1980's. Some of the white patients did not want black nurses/doctors then. You think in 2013 these patients would have more rights now???
I need to sell some people the Brooklyn Bridge.
If I got into a place and say I don't want that person or that person helping me, you think they're going to let said people help me? Now lets say everytime someone assigned Mr. Swastika a black nurse he said he didn't want her; he wouldn't have to give a reason but they wouldn't assign them back to that room. It's not that complicated - the hospital just did it wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 55329

Quote:

But the patient's rights aren't really in question here; the lawsuit is an employee against the employer for an action based on skin color. Just because the patient's father made the request (along with an implied threatening display of his swastika tat), it was the hospital that seemingly broke the law by actually acting on the request.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
No.

This is the Fed version:

The rights of the patients to choose who they wanted was never in question. When the hospital conceded to a race-based request, they went afoul of Federal law and the Constitution.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
No.

This is the Fed version:

So which part of this did the hospital violate?