Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10038
Default Pass on Rambo

I have seen so many people posting mock drafts with us taking Bacarri in round 3.... some even as high as 2a.

Stop it.

Rambo does not play strong... and I am not referring to strong safety... because like many have said SS and FS are virtually interchangeable.

My issue with Rambo is he does not play strong as in an attribute, he takes bad angles, and is a well below average tackler.

Mark my words. Rambo will fall and fall hard on draft day. I'll be shocked if he gets drafted at all.

DeAndre McDaniel part II.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929
Default Re: Pass on Rambo

We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1550

Doubt it. He is a scrapper and competes hard especially in big games. He is not a thudder but you don't have to be to contest balls and he gets the guy on the ground in the run game and is always trying to rip the ball out.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I have seen so many people posting mock drafts with us taking Bacarri in round 3.... some even as high as 2a.

Stop it.

Rambo does not play strong... and I am not referring to strong safety... because like many have said SS and FS are virtually interchangeable.

My issue with Rambo is he does not play strong as in an attribute, he takes bad angles, and is a well below average tackler.

Mark my words. Rambo will fall and fall hard on draft day. I'll be shocked if he gets drafted at all.

Are you high?
He is nothing like McDaniel.
Below average tackler? What do you call Phillip Thomas then? He may be the worst tackler out of this entire draft class....Rambo has the best ball skills of any safety in this class. He is NOT an in the box safety. He has shown progress in his ability to play the run from 2011 to 2012. He is a true blue deep FS.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 215

I really liked him but here recently I think he is just like deandre I like Shawn Williams though
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBite View Post
I really liked him but here recently I think he is just like deandre I like Shawn Williams though
Based on.....
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Strengths
Fantastic ball skills
Reliable tackler
Productive
Played effectively in the box
Reacts quickly
Ball-hawking tackle machine
Hard worker, well-respected teammate
Strong lower body (35-inch vertical jump)
Seems to have overcome a tough upbringing
Built for zone coverage
High upside
Size (6-foot 1/8, 217 pounds)

Weaknesses
Stiff hips - doesn't sink well or turn with ease
Bites often on play-action fakes
2008 arrest for assault
Average speed (official 4.63-second 40-yard dash)
Struggles in man coverage
Just two years of experience as a safety (previously a linebacker)
Really. They are nothing alike in terms of play.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12570

Quote:

Stop it.

Do you have something specific that you are looking at? I just watched some vid on the guy and he has my vote. He is the best projected value safety in the draft. He is a ball hawk, and brings the wood.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34471

Quote:

Stop it.

2 things DeAndre and Rambo have in common:

Off field issues

Over-rated game

Bold prediction to suggest Bacarri won't get drafted; but, it is not out of the realm of possibilty. NFL.COM has him as the 16th ranked Safety going into the combine.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post

Off field issues

Over-rated game

Bold prediction to suggest Bacarri won't get drafted; but, it is not out of the realm of possibilty. NFL.COM has him as the 16th ranked Safety going into the combine.
Not really.
Unless pot brownies count the same as beating a woman.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Are you high?
He is nothing like McDaniel.
Below average tackler? What do you call Phillip Thomas then? He may be the worst tackler out of this entire draft class....Rambo has the best ball skills of any safety in this class. He is NOT an in the box safety. He has shown progress in his ability to play the run from 2011 to 2012. He is a true blue deep FS.
Sometimes Rambo can overpursue and be too aggressive. That leads to him getting caught out of position or taking a bad angle. Once he expands his football knowledge and gains experience, he should get better in this regard.

The senior also needs to continue to work on his tackling technique. Overall, these are minor and correctable issues that should be resolved by NFL coaches.

-WalterFootball.com

Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Sometimes Rambo can overpursue and be too aggressive. That leads to him getting caught out of position or taking a bad angle. Once he expands his football knowledge and gains experience, he should get better in this regard.

The senior also needs to continue to work on his tackling technique. Overall, these are minor and correctable issues that should be resolved by NFL coaches.

-WalterFootball.com
STRENGTHS: Looks the part. Has a well-developed, evenly proportioned frame well suited to the position.

Intuitive defender who reads the quarterback's eyes well and gets a jump on the ball in coverage. Shows good burst to the ball due to above average acceleration and straight-line speed. Times his leaps/contact with receivers nicely, showing good body control and hand-eye coordination to play physically without drawing the flag.

Locates the ball and has very good ball skills. Possesses soft hands to pluck the ball away from this frame as well as the ability to track it over his shoulder.

Highly aggressive tackler. Looks to lower the boom on unsuspecting receivers crossing the middle. Lowers his shoulder into ball-carriers, though he sees what he's hitting, not lowering his head and spearing the opponent and drawing the flag.

Generally takes good angles to the ball and plays a key role in Georgia's defense as the last line of defense. Made Georgia's secondary calls for at least the last two seasons. Played free safety at Georgia but possesses the size and physicality to play either of the traditional safety roles in the NFL.

- CBS

We can do this all day.
And again, your own post doesn't make it sound at all like he should go undrafted.
Mountain out of molehill.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Not really.
Unless pot brownies count the same as beating a woman.
OK so they both haven't had off field issues? Dude was suspended multiple times for accidently eating pot laced brownies.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
OK so they both haven't had off field issues? Dude was suspended multiple times for accidently eating pot laced brownies.
In the broad sense but I am less concerned with Rambo than I am with a guy who damn near killed his girlfriend.

But hey, good to know where you stand on pot being equated with nearly killing a woman.
Quote:
In June 2008, McDaniel was arrested for assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature after an argument with his girlfriend. McDaniel reportedly choked his girlfriend, punched her in the head and chest, and pushed her down a flight of stairs, causing her to seek medical attention for "serious bodily injury".
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 215

Quote:
Based on.....
I don't think there game is similar but the hype and how the began to fall right before. I like Rambo but not as much as I used to just like I liked Deandre and began to lose interest in him as the draft grew near. I really like Cyprien and Vacarro though
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
In the broad sense but I am less concerned with Rambo than I am with a guy who damn near killed his girlfriend.

But hey, good to know where you stand on pot being equated with nearly killing a woman.
Really not sure where I said that. Merely suggested they both have off field issues.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Really not sure where I said that. Merely suggested they both have off field issues.
oh come on.
having an off field issue like Rambo and one like McDaniel is entirely different. Not even remotely the same.

Id chalk pot use up to immaturity (still concerning) but I wouldn't even mention it in the same breath as a guy who almost killed his girlfriend.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Off field issues

Over-rated game

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Possesses the combination of overall strength (befitting a last name mimicking the fictitious role played by Sylvester Stallone) and agility to fill multiple roles on defense. Consistently reads routes and the quarterback’s eyes well, flows with plays from the deep half and breaks on the ball quickly. His strong hands can snatch 50/50 and jump ball passes away from receivers, and is willing to throw his shoulder into receivers over the middle to separate the ball. Effective cut tackler at the second level, also changes directions quickly to wrap up running backs making a quick cut. Good effort, upper body strength to ride receivers and backs with a full head of steam to the ground or sideline. Moves well with receivers downfield, can take away deep options and limit yards after the catch.

WEAKNESSES Read-and-react skills, angles to the ball and his ability to break down quickly are inconsistent, and will be eluded by quicker ballcarriers at the next level. Physical receivers can also block him effectively in the run game. Off-field troubles are a problem: suspended for the first game of his junior season, and served another suspension to begin his senior year due to failed drug tests, both from supposed inadvertent ingestion of marijuana.

NFL COMPARISON Gerald Sensabaugh

BOTTOM LINE Possesses the size, athletic skill set, and playmaking ability to become a starter at the next level. However, multiple suspensions for violating team rules might hurt his draft stock.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
oh come on.
having an off field issue like Rambo and one like McDaniel is entirely different. Not even remotely the same.

Id chalk pot use up to immaturity (still concerning) but I wouldn't even mention it in the same breath as a guy who almost killed his girlfriend.
So what are we allowed to consider off field issues?

Does Tyrann Mathieu have off field issues?

Last edited by bfine32; 02-18-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Kenny Vaccaro S 6'0" 218 Texas
Eric Reid * S 6'2" 212 LSU
Matt Elam * S 5'10" 202 Florida
Jonathan Cyprien S 6'0" 209 Florida International
Phillip Thomas S 6'0⅝" 208 Fresno State
Bacarri Rambo S 6'0⅝" 206 Georgia

For what it is worth, here is my safety list. I would be happy with any of them, with Rambo being the last one that I can say that about.

Even as the 6th best Safety, that would fall in the late 3rd to early 4th range.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Looks the part. Has a well-developed, evenly proportioned frame well suited to the position.

Intuitive defender who reads the quarterback's eyes well and gets a jump on the ball in coverage. Shows good burst to the ball due to above average acceleration and straight-line speed. Times his leaps/contact with receivers nicely, showing good body control and hand-eye coordination to play physically without drawing the flag.

Locates the ball and has very good ball skills. Possesses soft hands to pluck the ball away from this frame as well as the ability to track it over his shoulder.

Highly aggressive tackler. Looks to lower the boom on unsuspecting receivers crossing the middle. Lowers his shoulder into ball-carriers, though he sees what he's hitting, not lowering his head and spearing the opponent and drawing the flag.

Generally takes good angles to the ball and plays a key role in Georgia's defense as the last line of defense. Made Georgia's secondary calls for at least the last two seasons. Played free safety at Georgia but possesses the size and physicality to play either of the traditional safety roles in the NFL.

- CBS

We can do this all day.
And again, your own post doesn't make it sound at all like he should go undrafted.
Mountain out of molehill.
The guy is not particularly strong and his read and react skills are lacking. I would love a safety that has both of those attributes and I for one would not touch a safety that has neither.

He will go no earlier than the 4th round and to me that is a case of overpaying for the bottom of the average talent category.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
So what are we allowed to consider off field issues?

I didn't say it wasn't an off-field issue.
But it isn't in the same ****ing world as what McDaniel did.
And if you think it is, then you have issues bud.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The guy is not particularly strong and his read and react skills are lacking. I would love a safety that has both of those attributes and I for one would not touch a safety that has neither.

He will go no earlier than the 4th round and to me that is a case of overpaying for the bottom of the average talent category.
Let's look at what your own source (Walter) said about Rambo:

Quote:
1/31/13: Rambo was suspended for the first four games this season. He was excellent for Georgia after coming back, totaling 76 tackles, three interceptions, one sack and three forced fumbles in his nine games. Rambo had an impressive outing against Florida with a sack and interception. He played well against Georgia Tech and Alabama.

Rambo is a first-round talent, but the off-the-field issues knock him to Day 2. He was solid at the Senior Bowl.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Not really.
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't an off-field issue.
But it isn't in the same ****ing world as what McDaniel did.
And if you think it is, then you have issues bud.
Guess I misunderstood "not really"

Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Guess I misunderstood "not really"

You were comparing it to McDaniel.
Stop trying to spin this.

What Rambo (or Mathieu) did is even remotely comparable to what McDaniel did. At all.