Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8954
Default Re: Wow, racism alive and well in Flint, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
The rights of the patients to choose who they wanted was never in question. When the hospital conceded to a race-based request, they went afoul of Federal law and the Constitution.
While this is true, what were they supposed to do? They'd of been subjecting their employees to bigotry and harassment from a guy in an intensive care unit for children - and I don't believe a hospital would be allowed to discharge them legally since a child in the NICU is considered an emergency patient and transferring them could threaten the life of the child.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16832

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
If I got into a place and say I don't want that person or that person helping me, you think they're going to let said people help me? Now lets say everytime someone assigned Mr. Swastika a black nurse he said he didn't want her; he wouldn't have to give a reason but they wouldn't assign them back to that room. It's not that complicated - the hospital just did it wrong.
Bingo!!!

Read my posts carefully. My posts have to do with the hospital and the nurse. And I said the hospital can be and should be sued by the nurse because of the note.

Other's think the hospital would win against the nurse and that is not the case here. Not after the note was displayed.

As for as the man with the swatiska.
He can wish whoever he wants for a nurse/doctor. However, the hospital can't tell their staff no-African-American for this patient. What they can do and I have seen it with my own eyes is before a shift starts their rounds, the nurse/staff have a meeting and discuss each patient. If they know a patient is racist, then it is discussed among the nurse/staff and then and only then they have a strategy of who works with said patient. However, if a Black nurse/staff says I don't care I will deal with him/her then it's on that nurse. Similarly, if a supervisor says to a Black nurse/staff, sorry you have to deal with the racist patient, the nurse/staff has no choice but to work on said patient or that nurse would get written up.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
So which part of this did the hospital violate?

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which, among other things, provides monetary damages in cases of intentional employment discrimination.

Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S.Constitution.”

She's also seeking claims against the hospital under the Michigan Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Back on post # 55 you wrote against my IIED claim.

I wrote about IIED without even taking a look at her case now that I have I am 100% correct that she would file for this claim. I think I know just a little bit more on Tort law then you do my friend.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 02-17-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73313

Quote:
While this is true, what were they supposed to do? They'd of been subjecting their employees to bigotry and harassment from a guy in an intensive care unit for children - and I don't believe a hospital would be allowed to discharge them legally since a child in the NICU is considered an emergency patient and transferring them could threaten the life of the child.
Refusing his race-based request is not the same as denying them care. The hospital was willing and prepared to provide care.

But the hospital did what I assume most hospitals would do: they agreed to the man's request just to get the child into treatment as quickly as possible. They wanted to do their job and take care of the child. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and I would assume the nurse was even willing to go along with that at that point. The problem comes with placing the note on the chart. Even the hospitals own lawyers knew that was wrong and indefensible.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11968

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which, among other things, provides monetary damages in cases of intentional employment discrimination.

She's also seeking claims against the hospital under the Michigan Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

I think this would be taking a very broad stroke from the intent of the civil rights act if she wins but I don't think we will ever know, she will take the money and run.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

Back on post you wrote against my IIED claim.

I wrote about IIED without even taking a look at her case now that I have I am 100% correct that she would file for this claim. I think I know just a little bit more on Tort law then you do my friend.
^ This

There was once a time in this country when people of color were indirectly discriminated against by their employers per other peoples' power of choice. I'm not describing someone seeing a black person working at a store and deciding to go to a different store. I'm talking about situations where a white person would go to a hospital, see a black employee, instruct the hospital staff that they wanted "that ******" moved to another floor, and the hospital staff would comply. In some cases, this was an organized attempt to force hospitals and other institutions to release personnel because of their color, race, ethnicity, etc. This is why the language 'job assignment' is included in the law. It is much more serious than I think some people realize.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
^ This

There was once a time in this country when people of color were indirectly discriminated against by their employers per other peoples' power of choice. I'm not describing someone seeing a black person working at a store and deciding to go to a different store. I'm talking about situations where a white person would go to a hospital, see a black employee, instruct the hospital staff that they wanted "that ******" moved to another floor, and the hospital staff would comply. In some cases, this was an organized attempt to force hospitals and other institutions to release personnel because of their color, race, ethnicity, etc. This is why the language 'job assignment' is included in the law. It is much more serious than I think some people realize.
I don't think it is that serious. If she could prove that the hospital had a past practice or pattern of doing this than I would agree. The intent of "job assignment" is to prevent a business from giving employees better or worse assignments based on race.

I believe no civil rights were violated here. She was offended big friggin deal. She suffered no lost compensation and if she wants to claim that she is emotionally traumatized than she just needs to grow up. There are a-holes in this world deal with it.

It is cases like this that if they set precedent does nothing but hurt civil rights.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I don't think it is that serious. If she could prove that the hospital had a past practice or pattern of doing this than I would agree. The intent of "job assignment" is to prevent a business from giving employees better or worse assignments based on race.

I believe no civil rights were violated here. She was offended big friggin deal. She suffered no lost compensation and if she wants to claim that she is emotionally traumatized than she just needs to grow up. There are a-holes in this world deal with it.

It is cases like this that if they set precedent does nothing but hurt civil rights.
That is why you fail.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
That is why you fail.
Don't misconstrue that statement. Racism is serious, ignorant and unnecessary. The fact that the hospital took these steps and her feelings got hurt is not that serious.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Don't misconstrue that statement. Racism is serious, ignorant and unnecessary. The fact that the hospital took these steps and her feelings got hurt is not that serious.
It's not about hurt feelings. It is about discrimination.

And, as Bengal Yankee pointed out, there were other ways for the hospital to deal with this.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 16863

Hospital will settle out if court (don't they always) .....hope The RN gets a crap ton of money because you think any other hospital will hire her ?

I think she saw the baby's chart and said ( Here's my ticket out of here)....

Also wonder if there was any bad blood between her and the hospital?

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !

Last edited by NashvilleBengalfan; 02-18-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 22818

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBengalfan View Post
Hospital will settle out if court (don't they always) .....hope The RN gets a crap ton of money because you think any other hospital will hire her ?
No, she's looking for early retirement...

" A supervisor also posted a "no African-American nurse" note on the baby's chart, an act even the hospital's lawyer advised later was improper, though the order stood".

I have two sons born in this hospital, and I believe Nurse Battle was one of the nurses both time my kids were born.

Sad? Yes.
Stupid? Absolutely.

Flint has problems. Hurley just happens to be one of 3 major hospitals here in Flint, sadly Hurley is the only one that has an open door policy that can/will admit any asswipe.

Racism is everywhere, small towns to big cities...sadly this world we all have to share generates a lot of unbridled hate...I'm sure when heaven finally opens the gates to let souls in, afterlife will probably kick my *** as well furnishing me-my very own cloud on top of a a 'state' street...arg.
Fluff so hard all the dudes wanna find me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal John View Post
My favorite is balls.
Quote:
Ask him if you could tag team.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Bingo!!!

Read my posts carefully.
Read my posts - they all ended with 'the hospital did it wrong'. Why did I have to say it 3 times?

The whole subject has given me a headache. Its bedtime.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12550

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
not exactly the same...a black vs white nurse operating on an individual regardless of sex is different that a man vs woman obgyn. if your wife said i want no black obgyn than it would be the same...
What about a Chinese restaurateur only wanting to hire people who are Chinese?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
What about a Chinese restaurateur only wanting to hire people who are Chinese?
How many small chested, 500 pound, uglier than ugly women work as a waitress at Hooters?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Read my posts - they all ended with 'the hospital did it wrong'. Why did I have to say it 3 times?
I have read your posts. It's always the information you wrote before you wrote "the hosptital did it wrong" that was inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain
Again, the hospital did it in a stupid way. It should've been done in private and behind closed doors - but a patient has every right to tell the hospital they don't want something or someone for any reason.
Wrong, a patient can't say I don't want a Black nurse. He can say I don't want THAT nurse. But he can't say I don't want a Black nurse.

Quote:
Hospital staff have been subjected to bigotry and harassment since day 1. In fact all service jobs, all employees are subjected to bigotry. In sports, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron[threats when he was about to break Babe Ruth's record], etc.

Quote:
I think you may have stepped over a line here, man. The sign, while inappropriate, wasn't any sort of attack on anyone - it was merely the family's wishes. It didn't drop the N-bomb or any sort of racial thing (it didn't even say 'black'; it said African-American),
You can't have signs like that in America in 2013, what is the matter with you dude???

You think that the sign has to be an attack on a person to be offensive???

You don't need the N-word to be offensive.

A family or a neighborhood's/community's wishes.....

Last edited by BengalYankee; 02-18-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

I'm not quoting that whole thing to say one this; I guess I just know too many black people who wouldn't give a damn about it. Personally, I think this one is looking for a handout - otherwise she would have filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of every black nurse/doctor in the hospital. And I've seen plenty of signs like that in American in 2013; so yes, you can. It may not be the smartest thing in the world to do, but you can do it.

Stop acting like people who disagree with you condone the behavior.

Last edited by BigPapaKain; 02-18-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not quoting that whole thing to say one this; I guess I just know too many black people who wouldn't give a damn about it. Personally, I think this one is looking for a handout - otherwise she would have filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of every black nurse/doctor in the hospital. And I've seen plenty of signs like that in American in 2013; so yes, you can. It may not be the smartest thing in the world to do, but you can do it.

Stop acting like people who disagree with you condone the behavior.

There is only one disagreement I have with some here and that is NOT the wishes of the man with the swastika. He can have any wish he desires.

It IS the action of the hospital staff.

When I am a patient in a hospital, my wishes for a nurse are ....

I wish that some members here get this....

Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Hospital staff have been subjected to bigotry and harassment since day 1. In fact all service jobs, all employees are subjected to bigotry. In sports, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron[threats when he was about to break Babe Ruth's record], etc.
So now this RN is the new Rosa Parks fighting discrimination for all blacks and deserves a big pay off for a small "Wording" mistake on a patients chart?

And we wonder why health care cost have skyrocketed ...

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
So now this RN is the new Rosa Parks fighting discrimination for all blacks and deserves a big pay off for a small "Wording" mistake on a patients chart?

I would say more like Al Sharpton.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Good logic. Her case has not been heard yet and you are talking about existing skyrocketed costs.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Good logic. Her case has not been heard yet and you are talking about existing skyrocketed costs.

Maybe because logically thinking, unless she drops it all together this is going to cost the hospital tons of dough regardless of a settlement.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe because logically thinking, unless she drops it all together this is going to cost the hospital tons of dough regardless of a settlement.

Logically thinking, hospitals and all organizations can't have signs saying no Blacks, Jews, Homosexuals, etc. or they will be properly served.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: rfaulk34 is dumb, BTB is dumber...However Neek is the Mt. Everest of dumb….
Rep Points: 26586

Quote:

Lol..."wording mistake"....how trite of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Lol..."wording mistake"....how trite of you.
Bingo!

Cincinnati Bengals
2013 AFCN Champions !