Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73842
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
For everyone discussing Hartline's price, a writer for the Miami Herald (much closer to the situation) reports that he will likely be seeking 5-6 million per.

The thinking is that the phins would rather put that money towards a true #1 WR. So he's likely to leave in FA.

5-6 million per seems very fair for a quality #2. Compare that to the 7+ million we paid Laverues Coles in 2009. And Hartline is much younger than Coles.
Was that writer Omar Kelly? If so, he knows nothing so disregard him. If it's someone else, I'm more inclined to believe
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Dwayne Bowe isn't going anywhere, Andy Reid hasn't had a receiver as talented as him since TO.
Jeremy Maclin isnt bad.

And its not up to Andy Reid.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Why do you all want Hartline when he is a carbon copy of Sanu? We drafted so many receivers for a reason last year. Sanu can be just as good or better than Heartline. He was really coming on before he got hurt.

Some of you want to get a player in free agency just to get a player, I swear.

Hartline went over 100 yards only 3 times last season and over 50 only 5 times. So 8 games last year he was held at or under 50 yards receiving. He also had only 1 TD. Sanu is more than capable of that.

Why the hell do you people want this guy? We need another weapon on offense, but Brian Hartline is not the answer, I can assure you that.

Last edited by WeezyBengal; 02-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3248

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I'm actually in favor of going with what we have (no WRs in my mock draft). I like Sanu, a lot, believe that he will prove to be an asset to this team. I also like Jones, I thought he did fairly well for a late round rookie.

But, this thread was about Hartline. I enjoy exploring possibilities with this team as much as the next fan, so I joined the discussion. I think Hartline would be a nice addition to the team. I do not think that he will command top money in FA, but rather somewhere in the 3.5-4M range. That is not too much, in my opinion.
^^^^
Thisx10

Lets keep developing Sanu, Dalton looked like a very good QB when he had Sanu there to hold down the #2 spot. Lets let these guys develop and grow together. Chemistry is much more likely to form with a team that came into the league in close order than grabbing veterans off the street and try to make it work.

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10770

I like Mohamed Massaquoi as a free agent.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

He's from THE Ohio state. And as much as people say it doesn't matter, people love the white wide receiver. Look at the love of shipley and the in unprecedented praise of Ryan whalen

Sanu is the same if not better player of hartline

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
He's from THE Ohio state. And as much as people say it doesn't matter, people love the white wide receiver. Look at the love of shipley and the in unprecedented praise of Ryan whalen

Sorry, but based on what?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Sorry, but based on what?
Based on Hartlines average stats over the duration of his career.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Based on Hartlines average stats over the duration of his career.
Well I hate to rain on anyones parade, but Sanu had 154 yards last season; Hartline had 253 in one game. I'm not a huge fan of Hartline myself, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit by saying Sanu is better. He probably will be eventually, but not yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I like Mohamed Massaquoi as a free agent.
I like him as a free agent as well, I just hope the Bengals don't have any interest in him. The last thing the Bengals offense needs is a slow guy that can't get separation and has an outstanding 42.7% reception to target ratio in his career. 118 career receptions out of 276 targets. No thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34539

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post

I agree with the bolded statement. There is a lot of OSU love on here, and people seem to love white players, period (Leonard, Shipley, Whalen, Coffman, Matt Jones, etc).

That said, how is Sanu even close to Hartline? People on these boards always assume our draft picks will be superstars. What if Sanu sukks?

We saw him in a grand total of 3 games. He boxed some CBs out for a few TD's, but other than that, he wasn't real impressive.

If you check his game logs, in his 3 starts, he did this:

4-47-1
2-22-1
5-29-2

Like I said, he was good at boxing guys out in the end zone, but even in his starts, he averaged only 33 yards per game. For a full season, that projects to 523 measly yards.

So how is he better than a guy who just had 1083 yards last year? (This coming from a UK fan)

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Well I hate to rain on anyones parade, but Sanu had 154 yards last season; Hartline had 253 in one game. I'm not a huge fan of Hartline myself, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit by saying Sanu is better. He probably will be eventually, but not yet.
I can agree with that. I think once Sanu gets more reps and is actually starting (Where he should have been at the start of last season) he will produce. I just dont think going out and spending on Hartline makes a ton of sense and is much of an upgrade.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
I agree with the bolded statement. There is a lot of OSU love on here, and people seem to love white players, period (Leonard, Shipley, Whalen, Coffman, Matt Jones, etc).

That said, how is Sanu even close to Hartline? People on these boards always assume our draft picks will be superstars. What if Sanu sukks?

We saw him in a grand total of 3 games. He boxed some CBs out for a few TD's, but other than that, he wasn't real impressive.

4-47-1
2-22-1
5-29-2

Like I said, he was good at boxing guys out in the end zone, but even in his starts, he averaged only 33 yards per game. For a full season, that projects to 523 measly yards.

So how is he better than a guy who just had 1083 yards last year? (This coming from a UK fan)
People generally like rooting for the underdog, especially fans of a team who have been underdogs for over 2 decades. White receviers aren't usually given the benefit of the doubt at any level past middle school, so it's kinda nice to see when one stands out from the pack. IMO at least.

With that said, Hartline would likely make a fine #2 receiver, but at the same time, you've gotta be at least a little concerned that he only managed 1 TD all season on 128 targets.

Since we're projecting stats, if Sanu would have stayed healthy, these would have been his combined numbers over the 10 total games he would have played in:
32rec on 50 targets
308yards
8tds

Give him the same number of targets as Hartline:
82rec
788yards
20tds

I'll take that(however unlikely that projection may be), over an extra 300 yards over 16 games.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 02-19-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3854

Really yuo dont bro?

Its all these Ohio state ppl

Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1522

no freaking way you give Hartline 7 to 8 million ! i dont care where he's from , he's nowwhere near worth that much .... 5 million , yes maybe ...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 863

It's about the probability of actually signing the guy. After years of watching the Bengals fritter away their near league leading cap space on mediocre guys the people on this message board have begun to lower their expectations.Instead of creating threads and posting endless messages about what a good fit Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe would be only for the Bengals to sign Santana Moss we are setting our sites low on a player like Hartline who fits the mold of the kind of player the Bengals target in free agency. He's affordable, dependable, a good character guy, somebody that complain about catches, and he's a buckeye. Nuff said.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

Quote:

4-47-1
2-22-1
5-29-2

My favorite draft pick estimation was a few days ago when someone was laying out their offseason plan...then they had 5 pressing needs being filled by draft picks.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 39659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Really yuo dont bro?

Its all these Ohio state ppl
There are way more Ohio State haters on here.

Also, as an Ohio State fan, no to Hartline.

Hard to follow a leader when he jogs like a fat girl.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
There are way more Ohio State haters on here.

Also, as an Ohio State fan, no to Hartline.
We have a decent amount of people who hate every idea equally too.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34539

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
People generally like rooting for the underdog, especially fans of a team who have been underdogs for over 2 decades. White receviers aren't usually given the benefit of the doubt at any level past middle school, so it's kinda nice to see when one stands out from the pack. IMO at least.

With that said, Hartline would likely make a fine #2 receiver, but at the same time, you've gotta be at least a little concerned that he only managed 1 TD all season on 128 targets.
If it were up to me, I'd move Sanu to the slot. Problem solved. Then you'd have a chain mover (Hartline) and a tall TD threat (Sanu) on the field at the same time.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I can agree with that. I think once Sanu gets more reps and is actually starting (Where he should have been at the start of last season) he will produce. I just dont think going out and spending on Hartline makes a ton of sense and is much of an upgrade.
I agree. Makes no sense to pay him a bunch of money when we'll inevitably have to give Green a big contract soon. He's definitely not a huge upgrade anyways. Drafting a wideout early is definitely our best option right now. Nuke Hopkins at 37 would make my day.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
I like him as a free agent as well, I just hope the Bengals don't have any interest in him. The last thing the Bengals offense needs is a slow guy that can't get separation and has an outstanding 42.7% reception to target ratio in his career. 118 career receptions out of 276 targets. No thanks.
He has been a bust thus far and there are reasons not to want him but his 14.8 YPC is impressive and I think being next to Green again could work miracles.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 863

Quote:
I agree. Makes no sense to pay him a bunch of money when we'll inevitably have to give Green a big contract soon. He's definitely not a huge upgrade anyways. Drafting a wideout early is definitely our best option right now. Nuke Hopkins at 37 would make my day.
Yea, that would be an excellent pick, I mean... the guys name is NUKE for christ sake, get him in stripes STAT