Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
eoxyod's Avatar
eoxyod eoxyod is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In a well and I can't get out...ladies
Posts: 37,473
Rep Points: 73842
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
For everyone discussing Hartline's price, a writer for the Miami Herald (much closer to the situation) reports that he will likely be seeking 5-6 million per.

The thinking is that the phins would rather put that money towards a true #1 WR. So he's likely to leave in FA.

5-6 million per seems very fair for a quality #2. Compare that to the 7+ million we paid Laverues Coles in 2009. And Hartline is much younger than Coles.
Was that writer Omar Kelly? If so, he knows nothing so disregard him. If it's someone else, I'm more inclined to believe
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,494
Rep Points: 21492
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Dwayne Bowe isn't going anywhere, Andy Reid hasn't had a receiver as talented as him since TO.
Jeremy Maclin isnt bad.

And its not up to Andy Reid.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,494
Rep Points: 21492
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Why do you all want Hartline when he is a carbon copy of Sanu? We drafted so many receivers for a reason last year. Sanu can be just as good or better than Heartline. He was really coming on before he got hurt.

Some of you want to get a player in free agency just to get a player, I swear.

Hartline went over 100 yards only 3 times last season and over 50 only 5 times. So 8 games last year he was held at or under 50 yards receiving. He also had only 1 TD. Sanu is more than capable of that.

Why the hell do you people want this guy? We need another weapon on offense, but Brian Hartline is not the answer, I can assure you that.
__________________

Last edited by WeezyBengal; 02-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
pdub2005's Avatar
pdub2005 pdub2005 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,166
Rep Points: 3248
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I'm actually in favor of going with what we have (no WRs in my mock draft). I like Sanu, a lot, believe that he will prove to be an asset to this team. I also like Jones, I thought he did fairly well for a late round rookie.

But, this thread was about Hartline. I enjoy exploring possibilities with this team as much as the next fan, so I joined the discussion. I think Hartline would be a nice addition to the team. I do not think that he will command top money in FA, but rather somewhere in the 3.5-4M range. That is not too much, in my opinion.
^^^^
Thisx10

Lets keep developing Sanu, Dalton looked like a very good QB when he had Sanu there to hold down the #2 spot. Lets let these guys develop and grow together. Chemistry is much more likely to form with a team that came into the league in close order than grabbing veterans off the street and try to make it work.
__________________
"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get."
-Homer Simpson

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Lawless_1's Avatar
Lawless_1 Lawless_1 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 8,125
Rep Points: 10770
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

I like Mohamed Massaquoi as a free agent.
__________________
"I don't care if it's rock, paper, scissors or a race to the car I do what I can to win" - Tyler Eifert

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
henrizzle's Avatar
henrizzle henrizzle is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,233
Rep Points: 1282
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

He's from THE Ohio state. And as much as people say it doesn't matter, people love the white wide receiver. Look at the love of shipley and the in unprecedented praise of Ryan whalen

Sanu is the same if not better player of hartline
__________________

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,315
Rep Points: 5178
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
He's from THE Ohio state. And as much as people say it doesn't matter, people love the white wide receiver. Look at the love of shipley and the in unprecedented praise of Ryan whalen

Sanu is the same if not better player of hartline
Sorry, but based on what?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,494
Rep Points: 21492
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Sorry, but based on what?
Based on Hartlines average stats over the duration of his career.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,315
Rep Points: 5178
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
Based on Hartlines average stats over the duration of his career.
Well I hate to rain on anyones parade, but Sanu had 154 yards last season; Hartline had 253 in one game. I'm not a huge fan of Hartline myself, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit by saying Sanu is better. He probably will be eventually, but not yet.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Shep Dawg's Avatar
Shep Dawg Shep Dawg is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 131
Rep Points: 319
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
I like Mohamed Massaquoi as a free agent.
I like him as a free agent as well, I just hope the Bengals don't have any interest in him. The last thing the Bengals offense needs is a slow guy that can't get separation and has an outstanding 42.7% reception to target ratio in his career. 118 career receptions out of 276 targets. No thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,923
Rep Points: 34539
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
He's from THE Ohio state. And as much as people say it doesn't matter, people love the white wide receiver. Look at the love of shipley and the in unprecedented praise of Ryan whalen

Sanu is the same if not better player of hartline
I agree with the bolded statement. There is a lot of OSU love on here, and people seem to love white players, period (Leonard, Shipley, Whalen, Coffman, Matt Jones, etc).

That said, how is Sanu even close to Hartline? People on these boards always assume our draft picks will be superstars. What if Sanu sukks?

We saw him in a grand total of 3 games. He boxed some CBs out for a few TD's, but other than that, he wasn't real impressive.

If you check his game logs, in his 3 starts, he did this:

4-47-1
2-22-1
5-29-2

Like I said, he was good at boxing guys out in the end zone, but even in his starts, he averaged only 33 yards per game. For a full season, that projects to 523 measly yards.

So how is he better than a guy who just had 1083 yards last year? (This coming from a UK fan)
__________________

Sig by CinWillWin
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
WeezyBengal's Avatar
WeezyBengal WeezyBengal is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 7,494
Rep Points: 21492
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Well I hate to rain on anyones parade, but Sanu had 154 yards last season; Hartline had 253 in one game. I'm not a huge fan of Hartline myself, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit by saying Sanu is better. He probably will be eventually, but not yet.
I can agree with that. I think once Sanu gets more reps and is actually starting (Where he should have been at the start of last season) he will produce. I just dont think going out and spending on Hartline makes a ton of sense and is much of an upgrade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I agree with the bolded statement. There is a lot of OSU love on here, and people seem to love white players, period (Leonard, Shipley, Whalen, Coffman, Matt Jones, etc).

That said, how is Sanu even close to Hartline? People on these boards always assume our draft picks will be superstars. What if Sanu sukks?

We saw him in a grand total of 3 games. He boxed some CBs out for a few TD's, but other than that, he wasn't real impressive.

If you check his game logs, in his 3 starts, he did this:

4-47-1
2-22-1
5-29-2

Like I said, he was good at boxing guys out in the end zone, but even in his starts, he averaged only 33 yards per game. For a full season, that projects to 523 measly yards.

So how is he better than a guy who just had 1083 yards last year? (This coming from a UK fan)
People generally like rooting for the underdog, especially fans of a team who have been underdogs for over 2 decades. White receviers aren't usually given the benefit of the doubt at any level past middle school, so it's kinda nice to see when one stands out from the pack. IMO at least.

With that said, Hartline would likely make a fine #2 receiver, but at the same time, you've gotta be at least a little concerned that he only managed 1 TD all season on 128 targets.

Since we're projecting stats, if Sanu would have stayed healthy, these would have been his combined numbers over the 10 total games he would have played in:
32rec on 50 targets
308yards
8tds

Give him the same number of targets as Hartline:
82rec
788yards
20tds

I'll take that(however unlikely that projection may be), over an extra 300 yards over 16 games.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 02-19-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Housh's Avatar
Housh Housh is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 3,487
Rep Points: 3854
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Really yuo dont bro?


Its all these Ohio state ppl
__________________
LOVE YOU BETHANY AND BENGALS!!! LET HAVE A GOOD 2013 TOGETHER!!!


Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
mrcommish<2009>'s Avatar
mrcommish<2009> mrcommish<2009> is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,791
Rep Points: 1522
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

no freaking way you give Hartline 7 to 8 million ! i dont care where he's from , he's nowwhere near worth that much .... 5 million , yes maybe ...
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
UD5soul's Avatar
UD5soul UD5soul is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, Chi-Town baby
Posts: 639
Rep Points: 863
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

It's about the probability of actually signing the guy. After years of watching the Bengals fritter away their near league leading cap space on mediocre guys the people on this message board have begun to lower their expectations.Instead of creating threads and posting endless messages about what a good fit Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe would be only for the Bengals to sign Santana Moss we are setting our sites low on a player like Hartline who fits the mold of the kind of player the Bengals target in free agency. He's affordable, dependable, a good character guy, somebody that complain about catches, and he's a buckeye. Nuff said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,884
Rep Points: 8983
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I agree with the bolded statement. There is a lot of OSU love on here, and people seem to love white players, period (Leonard, Shipley, Whalen, Coffman, Matt Jones, etc).

That said, how is Sanu even close to Hartline? People on these boards always assume our draft picks will be superstars. What if Sanu sukks?

We saw him in a grand total of 3 games. He boxed some CBs out for a few TD's, but other than that, he wasn't real impressive.

If you check his game logs, in his 3 starts, he did this:

4-47-1
2-22-1
5-29-2

Like I said, he was good at boxing guys out in the end zone, but even in his starts, he averaged only 33 yards per game. For a full season, that projects to 523 measly yards.

So how is he better than a guy who just had 1083 yards last year? (This coming from a UK fan)
My favorite draft pick estimation was a few days ago when someone was laying out their offseason plan...then they had 5 pressing needs being filled by draft picks.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
STC's Avatar
STC STC is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Halls of Montezuma
Posts: 6,635
Rep Points: 39659
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Really yuo dont bro?


Its all these Ohio state ppl
There are way more Ohio State haters on here.

Also, as an Ohio State fan, no to Hartline.
__________________


Hard to follow a leader when he jogs like a fat girl.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,884
Rep Points: 8983
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
There are way more Ohio State haters on here.

Also, as an Ohio State fan, no to Hartline.
We have a decent amount of people who hate every idea equally too.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,923
Rep Points: 34539
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
People generally like rooting for the underdog, especially fans of a team who have been underdogs for over 2 decades. White receviers aren't usually given the benefit of the doubt at any level past middle school, so it's kinda nice to see when one stands out from the pack. IMO at least.

With that said, Hartline would likely make a fine #2 receiver, but at the same time, you've gotta be at least a little concerned that he only managed 1 TD all season on 128 targets.
If it were up to me, I'd move Sanu to the slot. Problem solved. Then you'd have a chain mover (Hartline) and a tall TD threat (Sanu) on the field at the same time.
__________________

Sig by CinWillWin
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,315
Rep Points: 5178
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I can agree with that. I think once Sanu gets more reps and is actually starting (Where he should have been at the start of last season) he will produce. I just dont think going out and spending on Hartline makes a ton of sense and is much of an upgrade.
I agree. Makes no sense to pay him a bunch of money when we'll inevitably have to give Green a big contract soon. He's definitely not a huge upgrade anyways. Drafting a wideout early is definitely our best option right now. Nuke Hopkins at 37 would make my day.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Lawless_1's Avatar
Lawless_1 Lawless_1 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 8,125
Rep Points: 10770
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
I like him as a free agent as well, I just hope the Bengals don't have any interest in him. The last thing the Bengals offense needs is a slow guy that can't get separation and has an outstanding 42.7% reception to target ratio in his career. 118 career receptions out of 276 targets. No thanks.
He has been a bust thus far and there are reasons not to want him but his 14.8 YPC is impressive and I think being next to Green again could work miracles.
__________________
"I don't care if it's rock, paper, scissors or a race to the car I do what I can to win" - Tyler Eifert

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
UD5soul's Avatar
UD5soul UD5soul is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, Chi-Town baby
Posts: 639
Rep Points: 863
Default Re: Don't understand the interest in Hartline over other F.A. WRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
I agree. Makes no sense to pay him a bunch of money when we'll inevitably have to give Green a big contract soon. He's definitely not a huge upgrade anyways. Drafting a wideout early is definitely our best option right now. Nuke Hopkins at 37 would make my day.
Yea, that would be an excellent pick, I mean... the guys name is NUKE for christ sake, get him in stripes STAT
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.