Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499
Default "The Other" QB we Passed up in the 2011 Draft !?

Patriots to Trade Ryan Mallett?

By Dave Friedman, Tue, February 19, 2013 @ http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...e-ryan-mallett

If you believe that a Tom Brady injury would mean the end of New England's Super Bowl hopes over the next year or two that would put you in the majority. If it seems likely Brady is going to be effective for at least another three or four years, then what good is a valuable backup signal caller? If Ryan Mallett is worth a decent draft pick, he should be traded.
In 2008 Brady was injured during the first quarter of the first game of the Patriots season. Instead of making a trade or signing a veteran quarterback New England went with unproven and for the most part unknown Matt Cassel. Despite winning 11 games with Cassel at the helm, New England missed the playoffs. With Brady set to return Cassel was sent to Kansas City along with Mike Vrabel for a first round draft pick. That picked turned into Patrick Chung.
There are two great reasons to trade Mallett. First, he has value despite having yet to prove anything. There are plenty of teams seeking a quarterback, it is a weak draft for signal callers, and a team would rather take a high upside chance on Mallett than sign Matt Moore and know he is dependably average.
The other reason to swap Mallett is that he is of no use to New England. His contract runs out following the 2014 season. If Brady plays this year and next we never see Mallett, he goes elsewhere, and you get nothing for him. If Brady goes down, and Mallett plays well, at best he looks like Cassel, you still don't win the Super Bowl, and you either trade him or have a quarterback controversy that Brady will win. If Brady gets hurt and Mallett plays poorly, he loses all of his value.
The Patriots are in need of extra draft picks. They are without selections this year in the fourth, fifth, and sixth rounds. While Aqib Talib, who cost them the fourth rounder was an impact performer, Albert Haynesworth, and Chad Johnson were not worth fifth and sixth round picks.
In recent years backup quarterbacks like Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn have had value and then failed to produce great results. If Mallett can net the Patriots a pick or two, he is worth dealing. What is the down side, he has a great year with another team and you still have Tom Brady? Unless New England is going to invest in Mallett to replace Brady, like Aaron Rodgers shoved Brett Favre out the door, his greatest value will come on the trade market. (end)

I remember several fans on here (myself included) preferred drafting Mallett over both Dalton + Kaepernick. Really, the only reason that he fell to the 3rd were some potential "character issues". However, he's been an absolute choir boy the last 2 years up in New England, where he has been learning his craft under one of the greatest HC/QB tandems in NFL history.
Now, is Mallett offensive coordinator Jay Gruden's type of QB? Honestly, he doesn't really fit the "West Coast" mold.
However, considering that Gruden is probably gone after this season, and having seen what Hue was willing to pay for former "big gun-slinger" Palmer, I do believe that Mallett may be more of a Hue Jackson type of QB heading into 2014 than incumbent Andy Dalton.
Especially, if Andy were to falter again this year, I think it would be well worth giving up a 4th round pick in order to have this 25 year old potential "Ace in the hole" on our roster.

Thoughts/Opinions !?

Last edited by Sham69Rock; 02-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 738
Default Re: "The Other" QB we Passed up in the 2011 Draft !?

You spoke out against Dalton...here comes the storm lol. However during the draft i wanted Mallett he seemed to be the more NFL ready QB talent wise.

Last edited by Monster; 02-20-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Why would you even create this thread?

We have Dalton who has started for 2 years and lead the team to the playoffs both years. And you create a thread talking about Mallet who rarely gets into games.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14134

Some of these threads are so improbable, I don't even see the point...

It would never happen.

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 310

Yeah, I don't really get this either.

How has Mallett shown anything more than Dalton has in the NFL?

Dalton's in his 2nd year and shows great promise. I just don't understand the craving for a "better option" yet. He's had some of the best numbers in his first two years in the NFL than many quarterbacks have had in their first two years in recent time. Some are elite right away. Some has to work hard to get there.

Seriously, just...be patient. Dalton is still developing, and I personally think he has a VERY bright future.

So does the Bengals.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Pass.

Keep Red.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post

We have Dalton who has started for 2 years and lead the team to the playoffs both years. And you create a thread talking about Mallet who rarely gets into games.
Well he did create a thread campaigning for the signing of Titus Young
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Dayton View Post

It would never happen.
Yep. It's the equivalent of a "Sign Oscar Pistorius" Thread.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
He's also good at recycling links from a few years ago.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20393

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Dayton View Post

It would never happen.
It really is a joke, isnt it?

Honestly, where do people come up with this stuff? Are you guys really that bored?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8213
bengals Re: "The Other" QB we Passed up in the 2011 Draft !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Yeah, and there was one time I was crossing the Purple People Bridge, and he popped up and demanded I solved a riddle in order for him to let me pass. Odd, right?

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 93-91-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

You do realize that there is a huge reason for that disparity in playing time...........Tom Brady!!
We have seen what Aaron Rodgers was capable of after sitting on the bench behind Favre for a couple years. This season we saw Colin Kaepernick thrive after sitting for his first year + a half behind Smith.
Am I saying that Mallett will definitely follow in their footsteps? Of course not. But a known 1st round talent (which without the perceived character flaws he certainly was) sitting + learning the Belichek sytem behind Tom Brady for two seasons definitely doesn't mean this guy is trash.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

This guy should be banned from starting threads.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
You do realize that there is a huge reason for that disparity in playing time...........Tom Brady!!
We have seen what Aaron Rodgers was capable of after sitting on the bench behind Favre for a couple years. This season we saw Colin Kaepernick thrive after sitting for his first year + a half behind Smith.
Am I saying that Mallett will definitely follow in their footsteps? Of course not. But a known 1st round talent (which without the perceived character flaws he certainly was) sitting + learning the Belichek sytem behind Tom Brady for two seasons definitely doesn't mean this guy is trash.
Mallet isn't a known 1st Round talent. He was drafted in the 3rd Round. There were also comparisions to Ryan Leaf for him.

There are about 60-80 guys projected in mocks to go in various mock drafts. The fact is, Mallet didn't.

He's about as mobile as a statue in the pocket too. It's unknown how he'll perform at the NFL Level.

You don't get rid of a QB with 2 years of starting experience for a guy taken in the same draft that is yet to start.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5523

Quote:
So basically any QB who sits behind a another QB is automatically better than Dalton? ..........Got it .
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

If Dalton doesn't succeed after this upcoming season I would without a doubt give up a4th rounder for Mallett or even a 3rd rounder...I wanted Mallett over Dalton as well.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 44286

I think people are jumping the gun on this one a little bit.

Sure we don't really know much about Mallet as a pro, but for a fourth or maybe less....I would certainly consider it.

Most everyone on here is in agreement that Bruce isn't a great option at back up (although I always thought he was pretty good).

I'm not saying Mallet is the answer at the backup spot or that he could come in and challenge Dalton. I just think it's at least worthy of a discussion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
If Dalton doesn't succeed after this upcoming season I would without a doubt give up a4th rounder for Mallett or even a 3rd rounder...I wanted Mallett over Dalton as well.
I think at best he'd walk into training camp, completely outperform Dalton, & makes the Bengals regret not having drafted him 2 years ago.
At worst, he'd be a young/high upside QB2 + wouldn't make anybody regret not re-signing Gradkowski. He would also instantly become the best QB2 on the current roster (sorry Zac Robinson).
If we could acquire his services in exchange for a 4th round pick, that's still pretty damn good. (remember that not all 4th rounders turn into Geno Atkins)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19624

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bengal Thing View Post

Sure we don't really know much about Mallet as a pro, but for a fourth or maybe less....I would certainly consider it.

Most everyone on here is in agreement that Bruce isn't a great option at back up (although I always thought he was pretty good).

I'm not saying Mallet is the answer at the backup spot or that he could come in and challenge Dalton. I just think it's at least worthy of a discussion.

I think you hit the nail on the head.....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19624

Quote:
I think at best he'd walk into training camp, completely outperform Dalton, & makes the Bengals regret not having drafted him 2 years ago.
At worst, he'd be a young/high upside QB2 + wouldn't make anybody regret not re-signing Gradkowski. He would also instantly become the best QB2 on the current roster (sorry Zac Robinson).
If we could acquire his services in exchange for a 4th round pick, that's still pretty damn good. (remember that not all 4th rounders turn into Geno Atkins)
Right, what could it hurt? He at least fills a void of having a QB2 who is better than just serviceable, IMO.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20393

Quote:

I disagree. There is no way I would spend a 4th round pick on Ryan Mallet.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I disagree. There is no way I would spend a 4th round pick on Ryan Mallet.
Disagree with considering it, cuz that is what I said. Then further said a fourth or less. Then mentioned even if folks disagree, I think it's worth discussing.

So, I guess you are good with Bruce?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16548

Wait, where are we coming up with the 4th round compensation? They wouldn't get rid of him for that. The guy probably only makes 700k and they invested a 3rd him. Why move him for so little? If they "showcase" him in a blowout or two, which they'll have opportunity, they'd get Schaub, Kolb, Flynn type of compensation.

Mike has never valued the backup spot, other than when there was the Palmer-Kitna crossover. He also very rarely trades picks, especially anything in the middle and up.

Knowing that, and knowing that Dalton is GUARANTEED to start through his rookie deal, barring injury or a total collapse, this will never, ever happen.

There is a greater chance of signing Jordan Palmer to a 4 year deal than us trading a 4th for Mallett. (Not joking)
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16548

Quote:
Disagree with considering it, cuz that is what I said. Then further said a fourth or less. Then mentioned even if folks disagree, I think it's worth discussing.

So, I guess you are good with Bruce?

We need a backup and I can see us investing a 4th round pick one, but I don't see anyway they move him for that. Plus I don't see us trading for one.

Don't get me wrong I would love the value if we could swing it. But I just don't think it is even a remote possibility.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
We need a backup and I can see us investing a 4th round pick one, but I don't see anyway they move him for that. Plus I don't see us trading for one.

Don't get me wrong I would love the value if we could swing it. But I just don't think it is even a remote possibility.
Exactly. If the price is a fourth, I didn't see how we don't do it.....our at least consider it.

...I thought that was what the conversation was about. Do I think that is what they want for him, Do I think we will get him.....no.

I like the discussion though....for a 4th or less