Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24012
Default Re: Steve Breaston

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I'm not signing anyone at age 30 with a knee injury history
He had surgery to repair meniscus. Pretty common among WRs.

He's had success since then, so I don't see it as an issue.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

That was like 3 years ago too.

No issues since that I can remember reading about.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7430

Meniscus tears are pretty common. Not as severe as an ACL tear.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2528

Only thing that worries me is that Binns' stats from last year dwarf this guy. Puts some perspective onto how far he fell off (or didn't produce). There's some element that's missing here that we aren't privy to.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
I agree, Breaston could be a decent option as a #2.

Averaged over 800 yards per year in the 4 seasons he actually saw decent playing time.
Over 62% of his catches went for 1st downs.
Has never fumbled.
Has a good catch to target ratio.
Shouldn't cost more than $3-4M per.
Yea I thought of him as a good WR2 candidate for us as well. Was surprised he was released, as he does not make much.

Not only does he do all that you mentioned, but he also is pretty fast (4.46 40 time back at the combine). Obviously he may be a bit slower now, but he has made up for it with experience in other areas.

I would pursue him for the same price he was destined to make ($4 mill/year). Maybe a 2 year deal for $7 million ($4 mill this year, $3 mill next). This should provide a good stop gap to really develop Marvin Jones.

Breaston opposite AJ with Sanu in the slot on 3-WR sets? Yes please.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 02-20-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73156

Quote:

The knee problems all the years before KC are the worrisome part. He's had two years healthy, and one of those years (this one) he was a healthy scratch for almost half the year. Hell, he was behind Devon Wylie and Terrence Copper on the Chiefs depth chart.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The knee problems all the years before KC are the worrisome part. He's had two years healthy, and one of those years (this one) he was a healthy scratch for almost half the year. Hell, he was behind Devon Wylie and Terrence Copper on the Chiefs depth chart.
I've read Chiefs message boards, and the rumor is that Breaston was in Crennel's doghouse.

I just don't see how a guy has 785 yards one season, then can't even get activated the next. He's only 29 and he wasn't injured last year.

If you think about it, Breaston was a Todd Haley guy. He came to KC from AZ with Haley. Then Haley got fired and RC took over. Maybe Breaston butted heads with RC.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I've read Chiefs message boards, and the rumor is that Breaston was in Crennel's doghouse.

I just don't see how a guy has 785 yards one season, then can't even get activated the next. He's only 29 and he wasn't injured last year.

If you think about it, Breaston was a Todd Haley guy. He came to KC from AZ with Haley. Then Haley got fired and RC took over. Maybe Breaston butted heads with RC.
I don't really see how he would be in Crennel's doghouse, considering he's supposedly the most pushover coach ever, but I can believe that. Still, he hasn't really done much in his career to inspire much confidence. If he were signed, it would have to be with the expectation that he's near the botom of the depth chart barring a huge turnout from him
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2482
bengals Re: Steve Breaston

Not a terrible option at #2 would at least give a proven veteran player for Sanu and Jones to compete with. I'd prefer a top rookie or a better veteran like Bowe/Wallace/Jennings, but you could do a lot worse than Breaston.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14127

Quote:
Still, he hasn't really done much in his career to inspire much confidence. If he were signed, it would have to be with the expectation that he's near the botom of the depth chart barring a huge turnout from him
How much production do you need to for it to "inspire confidence" in the ability to either possibly be in competition for the 2nd spot or to simply be solid, quality veteran depth?

Fwiw, prior to last year he produced 4 straight 700 yard seasons, with over 1,000 yards in one those years. Those are certainly not huge numbers, but they're not chopped liver either. And we're not talking a huge contract.

I don't absolutely love the idea of Breaston, to the point I see him as the only option. But I think he could provide something to a roster that features a receiving corp which has every single player on their rookie contract. And really, what do you expect for under 4 mil a year?

Curious, who would you like us to bring in? I'm for some bigger names too but I'm just not sure they're very realistic options. I know you can't be in favor of doing nothing, with how concerned you are with Breaston's lack of numbers. Certainly you wouldn't think complete unknowns would inspire any more confidence, right?

PS Off topic, but were you the guy that said Joel Dressen was better than Tony G going into this season? Seriously, I can't remember if I'm getting you mixed up with Fred. And want to know who to keep that in my back pocket for.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 02-20-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
How much production do you need to for it to "inspire confidence" in the ability to either possibly be in competition for the 2nd spot or to simply be solid, quality veteran depth?

Fwiw, prior to last year he produced 4 straight 700 yard seasons, with over 1,000 yards in one those years. Those are certainly not huge numbers, but they're not chopped liver either. And we're not talking a huge contract.

I don't absolutely love the idea of Breaston, to the point I see him as the only option. But I think he could provide something to a roster that features a receiving corp which has every single player on their rookie contract. And really, what do you expect for under 4 mil a year?

Curious, who would you like us to bring in? I'm for some bigger names too but I'm just not sure they're very realistic options. I know you can't be in favor of doing nothing, with how concerned you are with Breaston's lack of numbers. Certainly you wouldn't think complete unknowns would inspire any more confidence, right?

PS Off topic, but were you the guy that said Joel Dressen was better than Tony G going into this season? Seriously, I can't remember if I'm getting you mixed up with Fred. And want to know who to keep that in my back pocket for.
Actually, I love Sanu and Marvin, and I think both are going to be much better options than people realize. So, I would rather get a rotational WR if I were forced to get one in Hixon or something. But Marvin outside and Sanu in the slot would be fine considering our WR coach is great and the skillsets of the 2 fit the offense very well.

Also, yeah. I said Dressen would have a better season, and that was projecting. I was wrong
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34250

Who Knows? I remember when we signed Howard he had come off a down year after being productive in the past. Dude has to be better than Tate.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Actually, I love Sanu and Marvin, and I think both are going to be much better options than people realize. So, I would rather get a rotational WR if I were forced to get one in Hixon or something. But Marvin outside and Sanu in the slot would be fine considering our WR coach is great and the skillsets of the 2 fit the offense very well.

Also, yeah. I said Dressen would have a better season, and that was projecting. I was wrong
What happens if Sanu or Jones get hurt? Or what if they don't develop as quickly, or as much, as some would like?

Does Dominik Hixon inspire more confidence than Breaston? It's somewhat interesting that they have both been a similar situation: They both played with two great receivers at some point in their careers. Nixon, with Hicks and Cruz and Breaston, with Fitz and Boldin. But look at the numbers during each respective stint. They're a lot different. And when looking at the career numbers it's even more so:

Steve Breaston (6 years) - 255 receptions, 3,387 yards, 9 TD's, 13.3 YPC.

Domenik Hixon (6 years) - 102 receptions, 1,405 yards, 6 TD's, 13.8 YPC (Fwiw, Hixon spent one full year on IR.)

And here's what I'm not sure I understand: You said you don't want a 30 year old with a knee injury. Yes, Breaston is 29, will turn 30 at the beginning of the year, and had a torn his meniscus. But...Hixon will be 29 at the beginning of the year and tore his ACL two years in a row. He only played in 2 games in a 2 year span. He's only been healthy enough to play one full season in a 6 year career.

Why the age and injury concern for Breaston and not Hixon, even though his is worse? Because of the added year in age?

I don't think there would be that big of a disparity in cost, at least not to take note of with our cap room. I think the league minimum is about 1 mil for vets over 5 years, so I would guess that Nixon would see around 1-2 mil per. And I could be wrong, but I would guess that Breaston would see 2-3 mil. Doesn't seem like a big difference.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 02-20-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
What happens if Sanu or Jones get hurt? Or what if they don't develop as quickly, or as much, as some would like?

Does Dominik Hixon inspire more confidence than Breaston? It's somewhat interesting that they have both been a similar situation: They both played with two great receivers at some point in their careers. Nixon, with Hicks and Cruz and Breaston, with Fitz and Boldin. But look at the numbers during each respective stint. They're a lot different. And when looking at the career numbers it's even more so:

Steve Breaston (6 years) - 255 receptions, 3,387 yards, 9 TD's, 13.3 YPC.

Domenik Hixon (6 years) - 102 receptions, 1,405 yards, 6 TD's, 13.8 YPC (Fwiw, Hixon spent one full year on IR.)

And here's what I'm not sure I understand: You said you don't want a 30 year old with a knee injury. Yes, Breaston is 29, will turn 30 at the beginning of the year, and had a torn his meniscus. But...Hixon will be 29 at the beginning of the year and tore his ACL two years in a row. He only played in 2 games in a 2 year span. He's only been healthy enough to play one full season in a 6 year career.

Why the age and injury concern for Breaston and not Hixon, even though his is worse? Because of the added year in age?

I don't think there would be that big of a disparity in cost, at least not to take note of with our cap room. I think the league minimum is about 1 mil for vets over 5 years, so I would guess that Nixon would see around 1-2 mil per. And I could be wrong, but I would guess that Breaston would see 2-3 mil. Doesn't seem like a big difference.
I am so behind on things. You are right, and I'm actually meaning that. Sorry for taking your time. Lol. I still like Sanu and Marvin over both of them, but yeah. Still, he'd have to start off low on the depth chart
Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Still, he'd have to start off low on the depth chart
How about everyone not named AJ Green starts the same, and everyone competes, and ultimately earns their spot? Seems fair, no?

If Sanu and/or Jones beat him out, awesome. But they should earn it. They shouldn't be given anything just because we drafted them. And they still as much to prove as anyone else. A healthy competition is a good thing.

And who knows, maybe a guy like Breaston won't be all that easy to beat out. He is a proven player in this league. I wouldn't be so quick to underestimate him, to the point of burying him on the depth chart. So if he wins the spot, awesome too. I just know that I don't want anyone being handed anything. And I think this team needs a veteran guy or two regardless of how the depth chart shakes out.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24693
bengals Re: Steve Breaston

Would definately be for this. I like Sanu but we still don't know for sure if he can be our #2 receiver.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
I guess he is still having knee problems.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
I guess he is still having knee problems.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston
So I was right.
Kellly Riiippppa
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 91641

No
Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
So I was right.
Kellly Riiippppa
You were right about him having knee problems in AZ several years ago.

If you knew about his current knee issue, then maybe you should apply for a FO position in the NFL, because Breaston had 5 visits before this issue came to light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloeHokie View Post
No
Easy to say that now. Apparently he has an arthritic condition in his knee.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
I would definitely take Breaston at around $2.5 million per. I had suggested in another thread Devery Henderson as well. Much for the same reasons. he's solid and should come at a good price. Breaston is a bit better than Henderson, and a year younger as well. I would take a shot at Breaston first, but also keep Hendersons number handy as well.

IMO they don't need to pursue a high dollar free agent wide receiver. Just a solid guy at good value and allow Sanu and Jones to keep developing.
...and that right there is going to be the sticking point.

We as fans want a legit #2 veteran WR to run opposite AJ.

A few nights ago on 700WLW's sportstalk (Dan Hoard subbing for Lance) J Gruden said he was impressed with the way MJones progressed and came on strong at the end of the season, and is looking forward to this season with MJones breaking out.

Which in turn, if you read between the lines, says: Don't expect any big name FA WRs or draft picks. We're happy with what we got...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

#15--gone, but never forgotten...
Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr18 View Post

A few nights ago on 700WLW's sportstalk (Dan Hoard subbing for Lance) J Gruden said he was impressed with the way MJones progressed and came on strong at the end of the season, and is looking forward to this season with MJones breaking out.

Which in turn, if you read between the lines, says: Don't expect any big name FA WRs or draft picks. We're happy with what we got.
1. Jay Gruden was impressed with Armon Binns going into last season.

2. Lots of smokescreens this time of year. Never trust anything said before the draft.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35415

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr18 View Post

Which in turn, if you read between the lines, says: Don't expect any big name FA WRs or draft picks. We're happy with what we got...
Yea, they're always happy with what they've got. I think MB has a burr up his arse on account of Coles and Bryant. And they just don't give a krap about SS apparently, although they did try to get Whitner. Speaking of, dude got owned pretty bad in the SB but he's still better than what we've got.

As of rt now, we've got no effective targets other than AJ. Gresham underachieves and Sanu and Jones have a lot to prove and we're probably going to have to hope they do cuz I doubt we sign anyone and I think we're going RB and C early in the draft.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571

Breaston is going to the Steelers.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
You were right about him having knee problems in AZ several years ago.

If you knew about his current knee issue, then maybe you should apply for a FO position in the NFL, because Breaston had 5 visits before this issue came to light.

Easy to say that now. Apparently he has an arthritic condition in his knee.
Knee things do tend to come back though