Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804
Default Mike Mayock

I really like this guy. This guy is real. I can listen to him all day.
I honestly respect his opinion over the rest of the mainstream draft gurus.
Are there guys who have more insight. Maybe. But he knows his stuff.
Before you say it, I know he dogged Burfict. But he wasn't wrong. Burfict wasn't drafted.The Bengals got lightning in a bottle. Everyone passed on him for 7 rounds, including the Bengals.
Who are the draft guys opinion you respect the most?

Last edited by finso; 02-24-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233
Default Re: Mike Mayock

Apparently Duke Tobin is our undercover GM. I like Duke's recent work a lot.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73442

On TV, Mayock. Although his draft knowledge will go down thw more he had to focus on THE NFL. In general, josh Norris, Eric Stoner, and Joe Goodberry
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51954

The draft is much more of a crap shoot than most people want to admit. Everyone thinks they can project the correct players. The fact is that even the best teams with the best scouts have high draft picks that flop and some late round guys always outperform players taken much higher in the draft.

So nno matter which expert you prefer someone else will have an example of a player that he missed on, but overall I like Mayock. he seems to be as good as any of the other experts. Kiper is not bad either. The guy who used to do the moist accurate mock of the first 100 players was Rich Gosslin, but he didn't release his mock until the week of the draft.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11899

Think most everyone likes Mayock.

Has always been my go to guy when analyzing draft prospects. Have heard Rob Dibble state that nobody works harder or is more studious than Mayock.

Still cross reference him with others to keep him honest. But always weight his opinion heavier.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Think most everyone likes Mayock.

Has always been my go to guy when analyzing draft prospects. Have heard Rob Dibble state that nobody works harder or is more studious than Mayock.

Still cross reference him with others to keep him honest. But always weight his opinion heavier.
I think the reason so many people like Mayock is that he seems to rely on his own film study and always gives specififc examples.

Guys like Kiper, Gosslin, and McShay (who I think is the absolute worst of the bunch) seem to rely more on conections they have with NFL scouts and GMs.

Both methods can be effective, but it is impressive to hear Mayock cite exact details that he sees himself from specific game tapes.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8696

His draft knowledge is good.

Some of his in game commentary is questionable like comparing Gresham to Heath Miller...etc.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
His draft knowledge is good.

Some of his in game commentary is questionable like comparing Gresham to Heath Miller...etc.
Are you Dumb or just Stupid? Mike Maysuck? Give me a break! Any talent evaluator who suggests QB Newton should switch to TE and doesn't have QB mental skills? He's either Biased or he has another agenda?

If I had to chose an evaluator to listen to it would be Dallas expert Rick Glosslin or Kiper! Kiper has been doing it over 40yrs

Every player to MAYSUCK is a KID! KID this KID that!

THE DOCTOR!!!

Last edited by Houston Bengal; 02-24-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Bengal View Post
Are you Dumb or just Stupid? Mike Maysuck? Give me a break! Any talent evaluator who suggests QB Newton should switch to TE and doesn't have QB mental skills? He's either Biased or he has another agenda?

If I had to chose an evaluator to listen to it would be Dallas expert Rick Glosslin or Kiper! Kiper has been doing it over 40yrs

Every player to MAYSUCK is a KID! KID this KID that!

THE DOCTOR!!!
Kiper who said that Ryan Leaf would be an asset to the NFL for many years? And fit Mike Williams for his hall of fame jacket.

These guys all hit and miss. Thats the nature of the draft. If they were right all the time tgeyd be GMs.

Quite frankly I think Newtons mental abilities can be questioned until his team wins.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 767

I listen Pat Kirwan on NFL radio, he's a former player personnel guy for 3 or 4 teams and he breaks it down as far as what NFL teams are looking for. He says all these combine numbers get thrown into a computer to get crunched, he says combining them will let the NFL guys know who has the best burst.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
I listen Pat Kirwan on NFL radio, he's a former player personnel guy for 3 or 4 teams and he breaks it down as far as what NFL teams are looking for. He says all these combine numbers get thrown into a computer to get crunched, he says combining them will let the NFL guys know who has the best burst.
You are RIGHT! PAT KIRWAN is GREAT! Inside infomation because of his contacts in the league!

THE DOCTOR!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Kiper who said that Ryan Leaf would be an asset to the NFL for many years? And fit Mike Williams for his hall of fame jacket.

These guys all hit and miss. Thats the nature of the draft. If they were right all the time tgeyd be GMs.

Quite frankly I think Newtons mental abilities can be questioned until his team wins.
Excellent come back about Kiper, Leaf and Williams! I give credit where credit is due! Where Kiper is good it's in the LATER ROUNDS and with UDFA's!

THE DOCTOR!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

What people have to understand, if that guys that Mayock and Kiper don't usually get around to watching a lot of film until after the Superbowl. A lot of these self-proclaimed draft guru's you see on Twitter watch film all year, and rip into expert analysis when they release their initial rankings. Every year Mayocks draft board is pretty much spot on leading up to the draft. The guy know's what he's talking about.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37126

Mayock is awesome, love that guy.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
Kirwan is good also.