Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26192
Default Re: RB weigh ins

McCalebb unofficial 4.21

Combine record if it stands
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
McCalebb unofficial 4.21

Combine record if it stands
Just seen it. Before the time was out, I was like: WOW!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkysylvanelf View Post
Just seen it. Before the time was out, I was like: WOW!
Shame he is a damn twig
Old 02-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 164

for anyone on here worrying or debating the bench for RB's is quite funny. there's prob been 1 elite RB in the last 15yrs to put up good bench numbers. come on guys?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43921

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmused View Post
for anyone on here worrying or debating the bench for RB's is quite funny. there's prob been 1 elite RB in the last 15yrs to put up good bench numbers. come on guys?
Doug Martin had the best Bench reps last year
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54630

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Ellington 4.59
Ellington is faster than this, He injured himself on that run, and is not out there catching passes with the rest of the RBs.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Doug Martin had the best Bench reps last year
that's why i said 1 in the last 15 yrs.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43921

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmused View Post
that's why i said 1 in the last 15 yrs.
I wasn't considering Martin Elite.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25864
bengals Re: RB weigh ins

Christine Michael - speed and power. Give this guy to Hue Jackson the man the kept the attitudes of TJ and Chad in check.

Last edited by OSUfan; 02-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I wasn't considering Martin Elite.
true, i guess I should have said successful. lol
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7648

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Christine Michael - speed and power. Give this guy to Hue Johnson the man the kept the attitudes of TJ and Chad in check.
who is Hue Johnson

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

The more I hear about this Franklin kid the more I want him in stripes.

Ex-NFL coach Jim Mora loves him and says he is better than Warrick Dunn, whom he coached in the NFL.

That is a fine compliment.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
The more I hear about this Franklin kid the more I want him in stripes.

Ex-NFL coach Jim Mora loves him and says he is better than Warrick Dunn, whom he coached in the NFL.

That is a fine compliment.
Pimping his guy. Not unusual. Thats said, I like him too, but look a lot like 10 other backs in this draft. Even on film.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3343

Looks like Le'veon Bell really stepped his game up by preparing for the combine. He dropped 15 lbs, and it showed by his faster than expected 40 time.

Was disappointed in Randle's 40 times, but I still like his other skills. He is still quick as well.

Montee Ball's combine results also did not impress. I thought if anything, Ball would have done slightly better than Bell.

Franklin seemed to boost his stock somewhat. Good hands, good blocking, fast. Definitely should be one of the top RBs considered if we are to go by what Gruden says he wants in another RB.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49813

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Looks like Le'veon Bell really stepped his game up by preparing for the combine. He dropped 15 lbs, and it showed by his faster than expected 40 time.

Was disappointed in Randle's 40 times, but I still like his other skills. He is still quick as well.

Montee Ball's combine results also did not impress. I thought if anything, Ball would have done slightly better than Bell.

Franklin seemed to boost his stock somewhat. Good hands, good blocking, fast. Definitely should be one of the top RBs considered if we are to go by what Gruden says he wants in another RB.

It would seem that some, that really needed a boost to their stock, prepared well for the show. Others, who's game tape speaks loud and clear, maybe didn't train as hard, or were resting from injuries incurred during the season.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250

Guys that impressed me in workouts

La'Veon Bell: Shed 15 lbs. and ran a very good 4.52 for him. Bench numbers were good not great, but I still wouldn't touch him until probably the 4th maybe? History of failed B1G backs scares me most.

Christine Michael: Unofficially ran around a 4.4 and benched 27 reps as well as a 43 vert. Best overall performer by far. Injuries in high school concern me, but has moved up to around a 3rd rounder for me right now.

Onterio McCalebb: He blazed under a 4.3 unofficially. I've watched this kid and he's lightning quick on the field. Haven't taken much into his stock, but if he's there late he's a guy we could take a chance on that has elite speed.

Zac Stacy: Ran a 4.5, but he has a lot of field speed plus he put up 27 reps which was a big surprise to me. Still would love him late as a 3rd option behind BJGE and new guy.

Jonathan Franklin I think he moved into a solid 3rd round status if not higher. We already knew he could run and catch well and now he's put up a strong shorts speed number around 4.4 if we end up waiting later than 2A to get a back Franklin may be the guy.

Eddie Lacy: I'm beginning to think there's a great chance he gets scooped up late in the first. Not performing hopefully pushes him down to where we get a shot at him. I feel barring trade ups there's gonna be a few QB's go at the top of the 2nd.

Disappointed in:

Overall 40 times especially by Ellington, BARNER, and Gillislee who I thought had a chance to hit that 4.3-4.4 range and none of them did. Overall as I noticed before the year this is a very slow draft class compared to most.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkysylvanelf View Post
Pimping his guy. Not unusual. Thats said, I like him too, but look a lot like 10 other backs in this draft. Even on film.
So after I wrote that I watched some of his youtube stuff and I got to say, he doesn't look anything special to me.

I saw him get arm tackled a lot and some indecision at finding the hole.

When he does see the hole quickly he explodes through it but he seems very slow at identifying the hole/cutback lane.

I'm not a scout or anything but he just didn't seem to stand out to me even in his highlight reels.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
Guys that impressed me in workouts

La'Veon Bell: Shed 15 lbs. and ran a very good 4.52 for him. Bench numbers were good not great, but I still wouldn't touch him until probably the 4th maybe? History of failed B1G backs scares me most.

Christine Michael: Unofficially ran around a 4.4 and benched 27 reps as well as a 43 vert. Best overall performer by far. Injuries in high school concern me, but has moved up to around a 3rd rounder for me right now.

Onterio McCalebb: He blazed under a 4.3 unofficially. I've watched this kid and he's lightning quick on the field. Haven't taken much into his stock, but if he's there late he's a guy we could take a chance on that has elite speed.

Zac Stacy: Ran a 4.5, but he has a lot of field speed plus he put up 27 reps which was a big surprise to me. Still would love him late as a 3rd option behind BJGE and new guy.

Jonathan Franklin I think he moved into a solid 3rd round status if not higher. We already knew he could run and catch well and now he's put up a strong shorts speed number around 4.4 if we end up waiting later than 2A to get a back Franklin may be the guy.

Eddie Lacy: I'm beginning to think there's a great chance he gets scooped up late in the first. Not performing hopefully pushes him down to where we get a shot at him. I feel barring trade ups there's gonna be a few QB's go at the top of the 2nd.

Disappointed in:

Overall 40 times especially by Ellington, BARNER, and Gillislee who I thought had a chance to hit that 4.3-4.4 range and none of them did. Overall as I noticed before the year this is a very slow draft class compared to most.
4.5 and 4.6s are what RBs run for the most part. When did cornerback type 40 times become necessary for a back to not be considered slow?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4179

http://www.draftmetrics.com/files/Th...roniclesRB.pdf

Quote:
Only one of the 64 Combine participants who ran the 40 slower than 4.66 became a 3 year starter.

Looks like Montee Ball is right on the edge.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25864

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
4.5 and 4.6s are what RBs run for the most part. When did cornerback type 40 times become necessary for a back to not be considered slow?
Maybe when 300lb linemen started running 4.8 and 4.9.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1588

SAMCRO for life.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

I don't like the 40 times at the combine. The official and unofficial times on a lot of the rb's are far apart. I figured it would be a little different but on some they are off by a good amount.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Maybe when 300lb linemen started running 4.8 and 4.9.
That don't change the fact that most starting RBs in the league run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. So my point remains the same, if a RBs tape his good and he plays fast in pads on game days then it really doesn't matter if he clocks sub 4.4, he's still gonna be fast, he's still gonna shake those linemen who run 4.8 outta their shoes via superior quickness and agility.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
That don't change the fact that most starting RBs in the league run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. So my point remains the same, if a RBs tape his good and he plays fast in pads on game days then it really doesn't matter if he clocks sub 4.4, he's still gonna be fast, he's still gonna shake those linemen who run 4.8 outta their shoes via superior quickness and agility.
It's not that I just think the running backs overall are slower than usual. There's not a real top guy with bug speed. You got a very small handful of real fast guys and the fastest is a borderline prospect.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
It's not that I just think the running backs overall are slower than usual. There's not a real top guy with bug speed. You got a very small handful of real fast guys and the fastest is a borderline prospect.
Oh, I gotcha, and yea, no CJ2Ks this year that I've heard about. I saw a couple good times from dudes I've never heard of.