Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36370
Default Re: Eddie Lacy..Bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
While Lacy does interest me, I kind of lost interest in the article at the point where our offensive line was described as "stellar". Not totally hating on our line, but stellar is not what I saw last year.
Heck no it ain't stellar, above average is fair I think.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I knew he had a deadly spin move, but I didn't know he was so much better than Gio at making guys miss.
Definitly a good stat, but shouldnt be anything to make people think again. There are more factors that werent taken into account. For instance First contact by the d-line(clearly lacy had a better o-line)

Also Gio Bernard is much much much better at catching than Lacy. We could create sooo many more plays with bernard since he is such a good receiving back.

Id be happy with either bernard or lacy at 2A but prefer bernard. NO running backs in the first.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
Hey...to each his own....Chris Perry never missed a game in college....how did that go on the injury front?

Our OL opened some big holes this year...a lot of big holes....and a big time RB would have made the other team pay more than BJGE did...the problem is that a 4th round RB/change of pace/speedster is not going to see those holes....he will not start ahead of BJGE and see as many carries....a kid like Lacy would be our starter with BJGE the 3rd down/goal line for at least a year....

Crazymad....did you vote in the time machine poll? if you did then for who??....odds are Corey Dillon....here is a guy in Lacy that could be that guy....I would be willing to bet that Lacy has the best rookie season next year of any back drafted.....
lol you're more crazymad than i am if you think marvin is gonna start lacy over the law firm, especially after BJGE had a pretty good season, look to the cook/robinson situation for proof of that. the smart plan is to grab your third down COP back this year and go after your bell cow starter next year when BJGE is in the last year of his deal. and no i didnt vote in that thread
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I knew he had a deadly spin move, but I didn't know he was so much better than Gio at making guys miss.
Yeah, thats the part that got me. I don't know about an element, but he does add a play. Its called running the ball on 3rd and 3. They used to be able to do this, and forget the "its a new league" talk...if you can't show the threat to pickup those yards by NOT lining up in shot gun every time then your running game is inept. Lacy isn't Richardson, but he is THE guy in this draft that could earn Marvin's trust with his choices between the tackles and blocking. He isn't a terrible reciever and can still mow down a CB as he turns the corner. Barring a top 15 player falling to the high 2nd round selection, he's my pick. You can find value in other rounds, but he is the fix.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4860

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymad View Post
lol you're more crazymad than i am if you think marvin is gonna start lacy over the law firm, especially after BJGE had a pretty good season, look to the cook/robinson situation for proof of that. the smart plan is to grab your third down COP back this year and go after your bell cow starter next year when BJGE is in the last year of his deal. and no i didnt vote in that thread
IF....a big IF....the Bengals took Lacy in the first round then he would be given every opportunity to be our starter....IF he then proves that he is first round talent when given that opportunity then he will start...no doubt in my mind....
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18636

Quote:
You're crazy mad if you think Marvin is not looking for a better franchise/bellcow back. All that silly talk about getting a speed back is just that--talk. He'd get three carries a game, we can't even execute a screen pass and throwing to the backs doesn't seem to even be in Gruden's playbook.

You just don't like Lacy and/or Alabama because they're too good/have won too many titles or whatever your reason is, because there's not much to legitimately not like about the kid. And btw, UNC had a pretty good line too.

If Lacy is there at 21, I would be shocked if he wasn't the Bengals pick, so get used to the idea.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36370

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
You're crazy mad if you think Marvin is not looking for a better franchise/bellcow back. All that silly talk about getting a speed back is just that--talk. He'd get three carries a game, we can't even execute a screen pass and throwing to the backs doesn't seem to even be in Gruden's playbook.

You just don't like Lacy and/or Alabama because they're too good/have won too many titles or whatever your reason is, because there's not much to legitimately not like about the kid. And btw, UNC had a pretty good line too.

If Lacy is there at 21, I would be shocked if he wasn't the Bengals pick, so get used to the idea.
Maaan. I hope he's there and I hope the Bengals take him.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

i have absolutely nothing against bama or how good they are, but lacy is not a stud in my opinion and i seriously doubt we go rb in round one, that is the least value we can get out of our pick. i'd rather go DE after tagging MJ than go rb that high. rb has value lower in the draft than it does higher as witnessed in the past few drafts
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IF....a big IF....the Bengals took Lacy in the first round then he would be given every opportunity to be our starter....IF he then proves that he is first round talent when given that opportunity then he will start...no doubt in my mind....
in what world has marvin ever given a rookie a starting job over a solid proven vet, and not AD over gradkowski, gradkowski isnt even a good number 2? he is a good 3 though but we havent been carrying 3 for some time
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18636

Quote:
i have absolutely nothing against bama or how good they are, but lacy is not a stud in my opinion and i seriously doubt we go rb in round one, that is the least value we can get out of our pick. i'd rather go DE after tagging MJ than go rb that high. rb has value lower in the draft than it does higher as witnessed in the past few drafts
If we tag MJ, why draft a DE? Don't make the assumption that he won't be signed to a long term deal anyway. After the first couple DE's, who will be gone before 21, there wouldn't even be value in a DE at 21 unless one of the top guys fall.

Also, Lacy is practically the definition of a stud player. And, imo, is exactly what Marvin wants at the position, all false talk of RBBC aside.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2755

Uhh...the title of the article is wrong or they were watching some other team. We do not have a dynamic offense.

To the OP: Lacy would be nice to have, but so would a handful of other RBs. Point is we shouldn't reach to grab a RB in the first. If Lacy isn't there, there are a few other RBs still to be had.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If we tag MJ, why draft a DE? Don't make the assumption that he won't be signed to a long term deal anyway. After the first couple DE's, who will be gone before 21, there wouldn't even be value in a DE at 21 unless one of the top guys fall.

Also, Lacy is practically the definition of a stud player. And, imo, is exactly what Marvin wants at the position, all false talk of RBBC aside.
why draft a DE if we tag MJ? you shouldnt assume we will sign him long term. the reason is simple. the year after we may need to tag atkins and therefore lose MJ. i want MJ and smith locked up but you must plan for the worst and hope for the best
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1680
bengals Re: Eddie Lacy..Bengals

Quote:
Hey...to each his own....Chris Perry never missed a game in college....how did that go on the injury front?

Our OL opened some big holes this year...a lot of big holes....and a big time RB would have made the other team pay more than BJGE did...the problem is that a 4th round RB/change of pace/speedster is not going to see those holes....he will not start ahead of BJGE and see as many carries....a kid like Lacy would be our starter with BJGE the 3rd down/goal line for at least a year....

Crazymad....did you vote in the time machine poll? if you did then for who??....odds are Corey Dillon....here is a guy in Lacy that could be that guy....I would be willing to bet that Lacy has the best rookie season next year of any back drafted.....
I personally do not want lacy.He already thinks he is better than the rest and he has a bad hamstring at present.Besides, the line in college that he played behind was the best.There are alot of very good running backs in this draft.I want someone that has something to prove,like a Christine Michaels.Our staff will go after WHO FITS HERE BEST,iF ITS LACY,i will be okay with it.They know what they are looking for.We shall see, but as a fan i like other rbs better.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
I personally do not want lacy.He already thinks he is better than the rest and he has a bad hamstring at present.Besides, the line in college that he played behind was the best.There are alot of very good running backs in this draft.I want someone that has something to prove,like a Christine Michaels.Our staff will go after WHO FITS HERE BEST,iF ITS LACY,i will be okay with it.They know what they are looking for.We shall see, but as a fan i like other rbs better.
This is just conversation and no disrespect....you want a 5' 10", 3rd/4th rounder with a 4.54- 40 and previously torn ACL to be a better option than a 1st round RB?

I am just looking at it from the BENGALS prospective........Christine Michaels does not fit our game plan...he will not even get a chance to see the field....BJGE will be the starter with this pick...just think about what I am saying....the Bengals are not going to let a 3rd rounder start ahead of BJGE BUT a 1st rounder will be given the opportunity......whether he can prove it is a different story....
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
in what world has marvin ever given a rookie a starting job over a solid proven vet, and not AD over gradkowski, gradkowski isnt even a good number 2? he is a good 3 though but we havent been carrying 3 for some time
Really?

Jonathon Joseph
Leon Hall
David Pollack
Keith Rivers
Jermaine Gresham

Andre Smith and Dre Kirkpatrick would have been given every opportunity if not given the job if they were not hurt....
Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 81

Not a fan of taking Lacy, or any other Rb for that matter, in Round 1. Would be fine with him or Gio at 2a or b. Like many others I'm hoping for Vaccaro or Ogletree.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Really?

Jonathon Joseph
Leon Hall
David Pollack
Keith Rivers
Jermaine Gresham

Andre Smith and Dre Kirkpatrick would have been given every opportunity if not given the job if they were not hurt....
those were all need picks and we didnt have a player as good as BJGE in front of any of them
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22627

Quote:
those were all need picks and we didnt have a player as good as BJGE in front of any of them
LOL. Right.
BJGE is league average. If a guy shows any reason he can be better, he will start.

Every time a rookie hasn't started was because they didn't earn it.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
LOL. Right.
BJGE is league average. If a guy shows any reason he can be better, he will start.

Every time a rookie hasn't started was because they didn't earn it.
im sorry i just cant buy what your selling. im saying there is no way that BJGE is not the starter, barring injury, this year no matter who is picked where
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
im sorry i just cant buy what your selling. im saying there is no way that BJGE is not the starter, barring injury, this year no matter who is picked where
Why? Because you fell for the myth that Marvin doesn't play rookies?
When a guy deserves to start, he will. Plain and simple.

We could have easily started Gradkowski over Dalton as a rookie. And I don't think anyone bats an eyelash to it. They gave it to Dalton.

We could have kept Bobbie and sat Zeitler. But we didn't.

When a guy deserves to play, he will. Always been that way.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

1) RB (Lacy)
2a) Safety (Elam)
2b) OLB (Greene)

I'd be happy with that!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Why? Because you fell for the myth that Marvin doesn't play rookies?
When a guy deserves to start, he will. Plain and simple.

We could have easily started Gradkowski over Dalton as a rookie. And I don't think anyone bats an eyelash to it. They gave it to Dalton.

We could have kept Bobbie and sat Zeitler. But we didn't.

When a guy deserves to play, he will. Always been that way.
no because i fell for the myth that he will not play rookies when there is a solid veteran player in front of them and grad, is not a solid vet, and bobbie was out the door well before zeitler was drafted
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
no because i fell for the myth that he will not play rookies when there is a solid veteran player in front of them and grad, is not a solid vet, and bobbie was out the door well before zeitler was drafted
And Dalton was a 2nd round QB.
No one would have questioned Grad playing over him. Plain and simple.

Please provide a clear cut case of a guy who deserved to play over the veteran player but was forced to sit on the bench because of this "rule" Marvin has.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1461

Okay, TBH, if we don't grab a solid FA WR, I would want to draft Tavon Austin with 21st pick (if he's there, most likely not). If we do end up grabbing a WR such as Amendola or Hartline or even Jennings, go Lacy all the way.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1461

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
1) RB (Lacy)
2a) Safety (Elam)
2b) OLB (Greene)

I'd be happy with that!
this would be ideal, but I only hope Elam doesn't get drafted before that in the high 1st or right before we go.