Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2122
Default NFL "Experts" Playoff Picture

These guys don't have much faith in the Bengals as far as the playoffs. They still question Andy even after his performance yesterday. They still see the Ravens as a threat, as do I, but no one expected them to be 3-3 at this point. I don't put much stock in these "experts", especially after our Patriots victory.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...owboys-at-risk
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23546
Default Re: NFL "Experts" Playoff Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
These guys don't have much faith in the Bengals as far as the playoffs. They still question Andy even after his performance yesterday. They still see the Ravens as a threat, as do I, but no one expected them to be 3-3 at this point. I don't put much stock in these "experts", especially after our Patriots victory.

I still question Andy even after his performance yesterday. It was good, but that isn't necessarily indicative of how he'll play for the rest of the season. I do think that he'll perform better than he did in the first 1/4 or so of the season though....simply because they defenses the Bengals play aren't as good from here on out.

Even if Dalton doesn't play well though, I don't doubt the Bengals ability to make the playoffs. Great Defense....potentially great Offense. I just don't see them losing the division to Baltimore or Cleveland....neither of which are really that good.

Once the playoffs start however, Dalton will have to play like he did this week rather than how he played last week for the Bengals to go far.

I do think that out of all of the teams currently holding spots in the AFC, the Bengals ARE NOT the weakest like some of these guys make it out to be. Neither the Dolphins or Patriots are as good as the Bengals.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 53

The biggest thing you can have in life is cache. Potential is fun to talk about at draft time or sitting on a barstool...but the harsh fact is that the Bengals have been one and done in the postseason the last three years. What WE as fans see as massive improvement (3 straight playoff berths), isn't that huge a deal to other fanbases or guys who follow/comment on the league as a whole professionally. I love this team as much as any, but if it were my profession to be an 'expert' on football I would 100% pit my trust in coaches/qbs/teams that have shown definitive postseason success (GB/NE/Bal/SF) over young upstarts. Just reality. We want respect, get it in January not some week 5 matchup in October.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19216

Quote:

What a joke.

I can understand not giving us much air time because we're a small market team, but we've been playing lights out this year.

Dalton was supposedly our only weakness and what was keeping us from doing anything big, but he beat the Steelers, Packers, and Patriots, not to mention throwing for 337 and three TDs on Sunday.

What a joke.

Haters gonna hate.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2126

Judy Battista actually list the Bengals as a tough match up when talking about both the Ravens and Dolphins

Steve Wyche might be on some of that good stuff if he still has faith in the Texans, they are playing terrible at every position

Gregg Rosenthal is a moron who always loves talking about how much he doesn't think the Bengals are very good

Casserly hits the nail on the head, the head to head match ups with the Ravens determine the division and then loser of the division has to beat Miami head to head to get in

Jason Smith is on the same stuff Wyche is on or he may have never seen Weeden play

Adam Rank obviously doesn't pay attention to much outside of California, his opinion of the AFC North seems to be far off, surprised he didn't think the Steelers still have a shot at the division
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Not to turn this into ANOTHER Dalton thread but he made HUGE strides yesterday. Particularly the 2 touchdown passes to Green and was it Jones or Sanu? Anyway, he put the ball on the money, all on his own.

As far as the playoffs, I think we win the division. Browns will regress with Weeden back. Ravens are a former shell. Pittsburgh is too far back. Our remaining schedule is in our favor.

I totally have faith in the defense. As long as Zim doesn't gamble too much like he did yesterday, we will be good. If they can beat Brady and Rodgers, they can beat anyone including Peyton. He doesn't walk on water folks. He threw a pick 6 against the Jags yesterday for crying out loud. Add to the fact Denver's defense is horrible.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 24

I think we need to win the division to get in this year. Indy Miami Houston maybe New York with there d you never know. We are going to have to do better than 9 & 7
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disk 80 View Post
I think we need to win the division to get in this year. Indy Miami Houston maybe New York with there d you never know. We are going to have to do better than 9 & 7
I think the Jets will fade away. Houston also looks like crap, and if they lose the mediocre Matt Schaub for any length of time, they'll be in more trouble with their less-than-mediocre back-ups.

The 2nd place team in the AFCW will get one spot, and then either Miami or the 2nd place AFCN team gets the other....IMO. I definitely still think it's possible for a 9-7 team to make it. Hopefully, the Bengals won't have to worry about that.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disk 80 View Post
That's why the games against Miami and NYJ are key, those have to be wins. I think Indy is in. Houston doesn't have much of a shot, they are a mess at QB, Yates doesn't seem to be the answer and they are already considering Keenum.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6376

I personally like it when "experts" choose us to fail. We always seem to pull through when that happens and the opposite holds true, whenever the same guys pick us as a Super Bowl team we don't even have a .500 season.

So yeah tell us the Browns are going all the way and we're going to blow it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 113

IMO, I think if Baltimore really takes off, Cincy and Baltimore may both make it. Pittsburgh is still not any good and Cleveland w/Weeden isn't going to win many more going forward.

The 2 games with Baltimore are going to be huge, but in recent years we have owned them late in the year. Two straight years we have won meaningful games at home in the last weeks w/them.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8213
bengals Re: NFL "Experts" Playoff Picture

I read this from Gregg Rosenthal...
"..The Ravens have the better quarterback, and their defense quietly might be just as dangerous as Cincinnati's."

And I look at the stats...

Flacco:
57.9% Completion
1,702 Yards
7 TD/8 INT
76.2 QB Rating

Dalton:
65.1% Completion
1,552 Yards
8 TD/6 INT
87.2 QB Rating

....Better, huh? Nice non-research from an NFL.com writer.

EDIT:
So then I looked at defenses....

Cincinnati D:
8th in Scoring
9th vs Pass
10th vs Run
7th in Sacks
8th in Fumble Recoveries
19th in INTs

Baltimore D:
16th in Scoring
16th vs Pass
7th vs Run
2nd in Sacks
19th in Fumble Recoveries
22nd in INTs

Those defenses don't look nearly identically dangerous......so once again Gregg Rosenthal has no idea what he's talking about.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 93-91-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."

Last edited by TheLeonardLeap; 10-14-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
I read this from Gregg Rosenthal...
"..The Ravens have the better quarterback, and their defense quietly might be just as dangerous as Cincinnati's."

And I look at the stats...

Flacco:
57.9% Completion
1,702 Yards
7 TD/8 INT
76.2 QB Rating

Dalton:
65.1% Completion
1,552 Yards
8 TD/6 INT
87.2 QB Rating

....Better, huh? Nice non-research from an NFL.com writer.
Doesn't surprise me. People will always label Dalton average at best until he wins a playoff game.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2123

They're not confident about us at all are they. They're right that we 'carry questions', but what AFC team doesnt?

It's kinda funny the double standards. New England wins a bunch of close games (with an impressive win in Atlanta and a good comeback win yesterday). Yet I doubt any expert doubts them. We win a bunch of close games, including two good wins over the Pats and Packers.... nope, we're a mess according to these guys.

Fact is, nobody outside of Denver looks great in the AFC. The Chiefs will get the #5 seed, and could go something silly like 12-4 doing it, because their schedule is a cakewalk (and they're decent). Who else is looking good? The Pats? Hell no are they. The Colts? Good some weeks, not so good in others. We're not really lagging behind anyone who isn't Denver.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4351

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me. People will always label Dalton average at best until he wins a playoff game.
Then they should label Newton, Luck, RGIII and Tannehill as average at best. How many playoff games have they won?

Newton and Tannehill haven't even been to the playoffs yet.

All anyone really needs to know about the thought processes of BMorepat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmorePat87 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with who is teaching it, but does a 12 year old black kid today understand racial strife more than a 12 year old white kid? Yes.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 24197

There are bigger fish to fry than calling out the Bengals issues...(just saying)

There are way-to-many-wtf(s) this season in the league as a whole...(just to name a few...)
Chiefs- undefeated?
Texans struggling so bad?
Vikings struggling so bad?
Steelers struggling so bad?
Giants??
Redskins??
I'm surprised the 'experts' are even talking about playoffs this early in the season anyway...still a lot of football to be played.
Fluff so hard all the dudes wanna find me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal John View Post
My favorite is balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPStripes View Post
We have very dumb fans
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1056

Nice. Can you say "under the radar?"
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8213
bengals Re: NFL "Experts" Playoff Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINwillWIN View Post
There are bigger fish to fry than calling out the Bengals issues...(just saying)

There are way-to-many-wtf(s) this season in the league as a whole...(just to name a few...)
Chiefs- undefeated?
Texans struggling so bad?
Vikings struggling so bad?
Steelers struggling so bad?
Giants??
Redskins??
I'm surprised the 'experts' are even talking about playoffs this early in the season anyway...still a lot of football to be played.
I don't know if the Vikings, Steelers, Giants, or Redskins struggling is all that surprising. The Chiefs being undefeated and the Texans struggling are a surprise to me though.

-The Vikings still had Ponder at QB, and traded their best WR (steal of a trade, but still he was their best WR). AP is amazing, but on pace for a still elite 1,500 yards at 4.7 a carry rather than an absurd 2,100 yards at 6.0 a carry.

-Steelers had shown signs of decline. They were 8-8 last season and didn't improve in any facet of the game to start this season. Why would it ever be surprising that they are struggling? A mediocre team that doesn't improve generally becomes a worse team. No RB, Heath Miller is still hurt, old defense that they let all their captains leave, and let their best WR leave in FA.

-Giants aren't surprising because Eli Manning isn't surprising. The guy has always been streaky. It was just a few years ago that he threw 25 INTs. The only time he's had twice as many TDs as INTs, was when they had the Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, two of which went for over 1,000 yards that year. Manning has turned the ball over 17 times in 6 games. Their struggling isn't surprising.

-RG3 broke, and they refuse to use him in the manner that made him successful because it'll probably lead him to break again. But the thing is, unless he's playing in the way that made him good, he's only average as a pure pocket passing QB. That's why his completion percentage is down, his TDs are down, his INTs are up, his Fumbles are up, and his QB Rating is down.... yet since he was so explosive as a Running QB last season, they expect him to continue to be explosive as a Passing QB, and don't give Alfred Morris the 30-40 carries a game he needs to eat up clock and control time of possession.

Sooooo, I am not surprised by most of that, but I wouldn't mind seeing if Washington wouldn't mind trading Morris since they seem so determined on not giving him a heavy workload. (16 carries is his season high, averages 14.4 carries a game.)

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 93-91-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Location: A fantasy world where the Bengals win the Super Bowl every year.
Rep Points: 1765

I call shenanigans on this article. The teams we've beaten show that we can beat anyone in any conditions. Consistency is a bit of an issue, but I can see this team winning 11 games, and that will certainly be good enough for the playoffs.

I guess I see why everyone is on the Raven's junk based on history, but seriously, Flacco is not that good, and they haven't shown me they're going to be much better than .500 yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they lose Sunday to the Steelers. Browns? Browns? They're not making the playoffs. It was fun while it lasted, but they'll come back to Earth. Any team that can't run the ball at all won't sustain success.

This is our damn division this year, and we could be playing in week 17 to knock the Ravens out of the Wild Card race and earn a weekend off. What a sweet treat that will be for Flacco to choke on.

Get used to this.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterElessar View Post
I call shenanigans on this article. The teams we've beaten show that we can beat anyone in any conditions. Consistency is a bit of an issue, but I can see this team winning 11 games, and that will certainly be good enough for the playoffs.

I guess I see why everyone is on the Raven's junk based on history, but seriously, Flacco is not that good, and they haven't shown me they're going to be much better than .500 yet. Wouldn't be surprised if they lose Sunday to the Steelers. Browns? Browns? They're not making the playoffs. It was fun while it lasted, but they'll come back to Earth. Any team that can't run the ball at all won't sustain success.

This is our damn division this year, and we could be playing in week 17 to knock the Ravens out of the Wild Card race and earn a weekend off. What a sweet treat that will be for Flacco to choke on.
"Down with Flacco trash!"
Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 75

[quote=TheLeonardLeap;3017604]I don't know if the Vikings, Steelers, Giants, or Redskins struggling is all that surprising. The Chiefs being undefeated and the Texans struggling are a surprise to me though.

-The Vikings still had Ponder at QB, and traded their best WR (steal of a trade, but still he was their best WR). AP is amazing, but on pace for a still elite 1,500 yards at 4.7 a carry rather than an absurd 2,100 yards at 6.0 a carry.

-Steelers had shown signs of decline. They were 8-8 last season and didn't improve in any facet of the game to start this season. Why would it ever be surprising that they are struggling? A mediocre team that doesn't improve generally becomes a worse team. No RB, Heath Miller is still hurt, old defense that they let all their captains leave, and let their best WR leave in FA.

-Giants aren't surprising because Eli Manning isn't surprising. The guy has always been streaky. It was just a few years ago that he threw 25 INTs. The only time he's had twice as many TDs as INTs, was when they had the Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, two of which went for over 1,000 yards that year. Manning has turned the ball over 17 times in 6 games. Their struggling isn't surprising.

-RG3 broke, and they refuse to use him in the manner that made him successful because it'll probably lead him to break again. But the thing is, unless he's playing in the way that made him good, he's only average as a pure pocket passing QB. That's why his completion percentage is down, his TDs are down, his INTs are up, his Fumbles are up, and his QB Rating is down.... yet since he was so explosive as a Running QB last season, they expect him to continue to be explosive as a Passing QB, and don't give Alfred Morris the 30-40 carries a game he needs to eat up clock and control time of possession.

Sooooo, I am not surprised by most of that, but I wouldn't mind seeing if Washington wouldn't mind trading Morris since they seem so determined on not giving him a heavy workload. (16 carries is his season high, averages 14.4 carries a game.)[/QUOTE

I put kc defense on my fantasy teams after week two. There defense is dominating week in and week out. I was a kc fan for many years before moving back to Ohio. That being said kudos for kc!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 868

To hell with the national media, Gio's TD never even made top plays on espn. They ignore the Bengals, so i ignore them.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Then they should label Newton, Luck, RGIII and Tannehill as average at best. How many playoff games have they won?

Newton and Tannehill haven't even been to the playoffs yet.
The media is always on RG3's and Luck's jockstrap. That's the difference. They have labeled them superstars, which in reality they haven't even proven much. At this point, I think RG3 will never be the same after his knee injury. Remember how much hype he got in the offseason? You would have thought they were Super Bowl contenders.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

This guys still not convinced with Dalton either.. Not saying hes a bad player, just havent seen enough to lead me to believe he can take this team to the promised land.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
This guys still not convinced with Dalton either.. Not saying hes a bad player, just havent seen enough to lead me to believe he can take this team to the promised land.
Agreed. Especially after hearing everyone say "Dalton will hold this team back". Or "Bengals win despite Dalton". I think he proved to all the doubters that he can carry the team. He just needs to be more consistent.

If Bengals win this game convincingly, there is less doubt. They tried to give the game away at the end. But I also believe good teams can win despite poor performance. Once we can FINISH games, we will be dangerous. Marvin needs to learn how to step on some throats, although Zim's blitzes at the end cost us. Just need to find some balance